Benson hires new attorney

ostrogoth

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/ for picture on boat

New witness calls pepper spray 'ludicrous, no point for it'

Often accused of being nonchalant in Chicago, Cedric Benson has been anything but laid-back trying to clear his name back home in Texas.

Benson continued an aggressive approach to defending himself against charges of boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest by hiring a new attorney considered one of Austin's finest and most high-profile defense attorneys.

Lawyer Sam Bassett already has interviewed 10 people who were on Benson's boat Saturday night when Benson was arrested on Lake Travis, outside Austin, and described, according to a Lower Colorado River Authority police report, as being cocky, combative and smelling of alcohol. Bassett has scheduled additional interviews.

Bassett, perhaps best known in Austin for defending a man convicted last year of murdering Texas student Jennifer Cave in a case that drew national attention, takes over for Brian Carney. Carney has been a friend and ally of Benson's since high school but his office is in Benson's hometown of Midland, Texas--300 miles from Austin.

"There is a lot of work left to be done and I am not privy to all information regarding the case at this juncture," Bassett said. "Cedric is interested in focusing on football right now and we will work hard for him while he prepares for the season."

Benson faces a May 19 court date but can be represented by Bassett. That also is the first day of organized team activities at Halas Hall, an important step for a running back coming off ankle surgery fighting for the NFL life in Chicago--even before last weekend's arrest.

Another eyewitness has emerged to support Benson's claim that he was mistreated.

Toby Patch was at nearby Emerald Point Marina on Saturday night when he claims he saw police "manhandling" Benson after taking the running back off the boat and heading to a squad car. Patch was not one of the 15 people on the boat.

"As they were taking him up the dock, they stopped, he said, 'I am fine, I can continue walking,' and they put their legs behind his knees and knocked him over his knees and started hog-carrying him," Patch told KXAN-TV in Austin.

Near the parking area, Patch says the treatment of Benson worsened.

"They ended up--I don't know why--but laid him on his back, I heard him say, 'Please don't pepper spray me, please don't pepper spray me,'" Patch said. "It was uncalled for, it was ludicrous, no point for it."

Patch's version sounded similar to the account Benson friend Elizabeth Cartwright, who was on the boat, gave the Tribune on Tuesday night.

Benson is back in Chicago and has not commented since proclaiming his innocence Sunday night and saying police mistreated him. He is considering a lawsuit

Can you spot the alcoholic beverages?

Kind of an odd group.

Yeah, I can spot the alcoholic beverages. Don't think anyone has tried to hide the fact that they were on the boat. I'm not sure what you're getting at with calling it an "odd group".

Yeah, I can spot the alcoholic beverages. Don't think anyone has tried to hide the fact that they were on the boat. I'm not sure what you're getting at with calling it an "odd group".
"Odd group" is having a group of hot chicks with your friends and your mom drinking on a boat.

He is a dude w/ good taste.

And just to throw this out there, but this chick is a pretty fair representation of women in Texas. I have to disagree w/ the beach boys, not to mention David Lee Roth. I have been all over as well, and IMHO, the chicks here are tops. Hot as can be, as they are numerous places, but also w/ a great attitude.

In Chicago, I go out w/ my cousin, and it cracks me up. Sure, there are some incredible looking chicks, but others were would rate no better than a 6, IMHO, down here have attitude like they are a 10. Even the 10s around here know they are a dime a dozen and can not afford an attitude like that.

And for the record, the University of Texas is stock like a bass pond.

38611172.jpeg

Can you spot the alcoholic beverages?

Kind of an odd group.

Why do I get the feeling Cedric was holding hands with the dude next to him right before that picture was taken?

Cedric has been a worthless piece of crap on this team for 3 years. It's stupid, but it pisses me off the bastard looks so damn happy in that picture. That piece of shit deserves whatever he got just for sucking.

Why do I get the feeling Cedric was holding hands with the dude next to him right before that picture was taken?

Cedric has been a worthless piece of crap on this team for 3 years. It's stupid, but it pisses me off the bastard looks so damn happy in that picture. That piece of shit deserves whatever he got just for sucking.

Lol

Actually he's only been a piece of crap for one year.

The other two years he looked good, he just got hurt.

You are pissed because he is happy on his boat? Get over it already. There is so much more to life. Stop being bitter.

what I see that troubles me, are what appear to be rolling papers in his left hand. Of course, Ive never really seen rolling papers up close (cough cough), but I "heard" they look like that

also, no matter how much a player sucks, theres no reason to wish such illl will upon him.

what I see that troubles me, are what appear to be rolling papers in his left hand. Of course, Ive never really seen rolling papers up close (cough cough), but I "heard" they look like that

also, no matter how much a player sucks, theres no reason to wish such illl will upon him.

The worst part is that picture can be Photoshopped pretty easily. I could picture something else in his hand.

Dude, please let it go.

Peace :dabears

I've heard the same...

My buddy in Lubbock who travels all over the state is contactnly telling me of this...

He is a dude w/ good taste.

And just to throw this out there, but this chick is a pretty fair representation of women in Texas. I have to disagree w/ the beach boys, not to mention David Lee Roth. I have been all over as well, and IMHO, the chicks here are tops. Hot as can be, as they are numerous places, but also w/ a great attitude.

In Chicago, I go out w/ my cousin, and it cracks me up. Sure, there are some incredible looking chicks, but others were would rate no better than a 6, IMHO, down here have attitude like they are a 10. Even the 10s around here know they are a dime a dozen and can not afford an attitude like that.

And for the record, the University of Texas is stock like a bass pond.