Bears give Robbie Gould 5-year extension

Pixote

Chicago Tribune Article Link

Chicago Bears Team Site Article

Great Job JA!!

Bears give Robbie Gould 5-year extension

2:53 PM CDT, May 12, 2008

The Bears signed kicker Robbie Gould to a five-year contract extension on Monday, running through the 2013 season.

Gould is the Bears' all-time field goal percentage leader among kickers with at least 50 attempts, connecting on 84.8 percent of his kicks (84 of 99). He has also been successful on 99 of 100 points after touchdown for 351 career points.

He was 31-for-36 on field goal attempts last year (86.1 percent) and had 33 extra points for a total of 126 points. In 2006, Gould was elected to the Pro Bowl after finishing second overall in the NFL in scoring and first among kickers with 143 points, going 32-for-36 on field goals (88.9 percent) hitting all 47 of his extra point attempts.

For his career, Gould is 39-for-45 on field goals in Soldier Field (86.7 percent), the highest accuracy all-time among NFL kickers with at least 20 attempts at the stadium.

He has five game-winning field goals in his NFL career, including a 49-yard field goal in overtime of the 2006 NFC Divisional Playoff against Seattle.

Entering the NFL as an undrafted free agent out of Penn State by New England in 2005, Gould also spent time with Baltimore before joining the Bears in October of that same year.

Very happy with this. I would bet this in the area of 5 yrs for 10 to 12 million with about 2 million sb. Now this is done, they can move on to Harris. I get the feeling that Hester and Url will be handled in the season.

Peace :dabears

Very happy with this. I would bet this in the area of 5 yrs for 10 to 12 million with about 2 million sb. Now this is done, they can move on to Harris. I get the feeling that Hester and Url will be handled in the season.

The Bears Site just put up an article:

Bears Team Site Article

LAKE FOREST, Ill. – Place-kicker Robbie Gould on Monday signed a five-year contract extension with the Bears that runs through the 2013 season. Terms were not disclosed.

The Penn State product is the most accurate field goal kicker in Bears history among those with at least 50 attempts, having connected on 84 of 99 tries (84.8 percent) in three seasons.

Robbiesigns_inside.jpg

Bears place-kicker Robbie Gould signs his

contract extension Monday at Halas Hall.

"I'm really excited," said Gould, who was entering the final year of his original contract. "I'm excited to stay in the city of Chicago and to be a Chicago Bear. This is one of those opportunities that's once-in-a-lifetime and life-changing, and I'm just excited to have it.

"I'm excited that my hard work has paid off, but I'm definitely not done working hard and making field goals and kicking kickoffs. That's what I get paid to do. Now it's just a matter of being able to go out there and have fun, relax and enjoy it."

Gould was working for M&R Contracting, a construction company owned by a family friend in Mill Hall, Pa., in October 2005 when the Bears summoned him to Chicago for a tryout. Signed after outperforming a handful of veterans, Gould converted 21 of 27 field goal attempts (77.8) and led the Bears in scoring with 82 points.

In 2006, Gould was voted to the Pro Bowl and named first-team All-Pro after connecting on 32 of 36 field goal attempts (88.9), including a franchise-record 24 straight to start the season. His 143 points ranked second in the NFL to Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson.

Gould's 49-yard field goal in overtime in the divisional playoffs against the Seattle Seahawks at Soldier Field was the fifth game-winning kick of his career and gave the Bears their first post-season win in 12 seasons.

In 2007, the 6-foot, 183-pounder made 31 of 36 field goals (86.1), including 17 of 18 (94.4) over the final seven games. His only miss during that stretch, a 48-yard attempt, was blocked.

Gould owns Bears records with 26 straight field goals from Dec. 25, 2005-Nov. 19, 2006 and 22 straight games with a field goal from Oct. 23, 2005-Nov. 6, 2006.

The Bears kicker spent time with the New England Patriots and Baltimore Ravens, but had never appeared in a regular-season game until joining the Bears. He is one of just six kickers in NFL history with back-to-back seasons of at least 125 points and is one of only nine kickers to make 30 or more field goals in consecutive years.

Gould signed his contract Monday at Halas Hall with his mother, father, brother and sister at his side.

"My family's very close with me and everything we do we do as a family," Gould said. "If there's a moment that I want to share with them, this would be that moment."

Good. Gould has been accurate and has taken advantage of the opportunity here. Let this be the start of the other guys that need to be signed.

I like the way Angelo continues to reward players when possible and keeps them happy. Sometimes the marketplace with the new era of exculating Caps and Free Agency does not allow this but Angelo has done a fine job with the challenges presented to do so.

Dont the Bears normally not negotiate during the season? I would assume they will be working hard on getting Harris and Hester reworked before the preseason this year.

They normally try to take advantage of all available cap space (I think last yr they extended Kreutz for a couple more yrs).

Dont the Bears normally not negotiate during the season? I would assume they will be working hard on getting Harris and Hester reworked before the preseason this year.

The Bears have made a habit of negotiation extensions mid-season (since they can apply portions of the extension to the current year cap, thus making such move is being financially smart). In fact, almost every year in Angelo's era (with some exceptions, ie, years where the team didn't have much cap room to play with during the season), he has extended at least one player mid-season (in fact there were some years where he worked out extensions with multiple players, IIRC).

Who else do you want to extend?

It may not be the popular opinion, but I really do not want to see many, if any, more extensions. Gould was the only player I really wanted to see an extension for. Taking a realistic look,

Harris - He wants Freeny money, and Allen getting similar coin doesn't help matters, nor does Oakland giving big dollars to an average DT. But I am sorry. At this point, Harris simply has not earned that sort of a deal.

Freeney's 1st 4 years, which his contract was based off, saw sack totals of 13, 11, 16 & 11. He also had FFs stats of 9, 4, 4 & 6. He established himself as a premier pass rusher, and a model of health.

Allen sacks totals: 9, 11, 7.5 and 15.5 w/ 13 FFs in 4 seasons.

Harris? 3.5, 3, 5 and 8. Sure, I realize DTs do not get the sack totals elite DEs do, but still. Further, he missed 4 games two years ago and seemed to struggle through injury last year. Also an issue, IMHO, is his drop in production after the 1st half of a season. Two years ago, he started very strong w/ 5 sacsk in the first 4 games, but then didn't have another sack after that point. Last year? 7 sacks in the first 8 games, but then only 1 after that. He also does not force fumbles and create turnovers like the above two DL.

Harris is a great talent. He goes to Hawaii for a reason. But he wants to be paid as one of the best overall defensive players in the league, and I simply do not believe he has earned such a contract.

Hester - The is absolutely no question Hester (a) is the games best return man and (B) has out performed his rookie contract. At the same time, reports are he wants to be paid like an elite WR, but has yet to prove he can even be a #3 WR, much less a #1. IMHO, it is nearly impossible to extend him (so long as he wants the sort of deal he is seeking) until he proves himself more as a WR. That doesn't mean he has to be Steve Smith, but I think he needs to establish himself as a legit WR option before he is paid like an elite WR.

Who else is there?

Anderson? Took the league by storm as a rookie, but went backward his 2nd season and lost his starting job.

Urlacher? I am not even a fan of the offer we have already made, much less what he is seeking.

Chiefly, I would like to extend Hester. I know he wants to be paid like a WR...but I think if we strike now and get him signed for a lot more than he is now, but much less than a TO per se...we could lock him up at least for a few more years. I really think he is special and could be the brand image of the team depending on Urlacher's health and contract issues.

I also would like to see Tommie stay...he offers intangibles that the stats don't say. We need a solid young mainstay on the DL...and I think that could be Tommie. He's a professional through and through. He plays through injuries and is stellar off the field. I would understand letting him go if he wants the sky...but I really think he's worth the loot.

Of course, much of this all depends on what we do at QB as well... It is all intertwoven...

But, in a nutshell...I never want to see Hester in another jersey...and I really almost don't care what it takes to get that done. He is beyond special...

Anderson can come or go...and Urlacher is signed in my opinion with a fair upgrade on the table. He can take that or leave it and retire. But he will at least go out as a Bear then.

Who else do you want to extend?

It may not be the popular opinion, but I really do not want to see many, if any, more extensions. Gould was the only player I really wanted to see an extension for. Taking a realistic look,

Harris - He wants Freeny money, and Allen getting similar coin doesn't help matters, nor does Oakland giving big dollars to an average DT. But I am sorry. At this point, Harris simply has not earned that sort of a deal.

Freeney's 1st 4 years, which his contract was based off, saw sack totals of 13, 11, 16 & 11. He also had FFs stats of 9, 4, 4 & 6. He established himself as a premier pass rusher, and a model of health.

Allen sacks totals: 9, 11, 7.5 and 15.5 w/ 13 FFs in 4 seasons.

Harris? 3.5, 3, 5 and 8. Sure, I realize DTs do not get the sack totals elite DEs do, but still. Further, he missed 4 games two years ago and seemed to struggle through injury last year. Also an issue, IMHO, is his drop in production after the 1st half of a season. Two years ago, he started very strong w/ 5 sacsk in the first 4 games, but then didn't have another sack after that point. Last year? 7 sacks in the first 8 games, but then only 1 after that. He also does not force fumbles and create turnovers like the above two DL.

Harris is a great talent. He goes to Hawaii for a reason. But he wants to be paid as one of the best overall defensive players in the league, and I simply do not believe he has earned such a contract.

Hester - The is absolutely no question Hester (a) is the games best return man and (B) has out performed his rookie contract. At the same time, reports are he wants to be paid like an elite WR, but has yet to prove he can even be a #3 WR, much less a #1. IMHO, it is nearly impossible to extend him (so long as he wants the sort of deal he is seeking) until he proves himself more as a WR. That doesn't mean he has to be Steve Smith, but I think he needs to establish himself as a legit WR option before he is paid like an elite WR.

Who else is there?

Anderson? Took the league by storm as a rookie, but went backward his 2nd season and lost his starting job.

Urlacher? I am not even a fan of the offer we have already made, much less what he is seeking.

Chiefly, I would like to extend Hester. I know he wants to be paid like a WR...but I think if we strike now and get him signed for a lot more than he is now, but much less than a TO per se...we could lock him up at least for a few more years. I really think he is special and could be the brand image of the team depending on Urlacher's health and contract issues.

I also would like to see Tommie stay...he offers intangibles that the stats don't say. We need a solid young mainstay on the DL...and I think that could be Tommie. He's a professional through and through. He plays through injuries and is stellar off the field. I would understand letting him go if he wants the sky...but I really think he's worth the loot.

Of course, much of this all depends on what we do at QB as well... It is all intertwoven...

But, in a nutshell...I never want to see Hester in another jersey...and I really almost don't care what it takes to get that done. He is beyond special...

Anderson can come or go...and Urlacher is signed in my opinion with a fair upgrade on the table. He can take that or leave it and retire. But he will at least go out as a Bear then.

Agree. First off, we can't just let Hester walk. Put it any way you'd like, he's the best player ever at his position. I understand he's a KR/PR, but he's the BEST PLAYER EVER at his position. You don't just let a guy with his talent and ability walk, especially when he showed signs at the end of last year that he could become a solid #1 somebody for many years, obviously barring injuries. I think we pay him. Offer him 6 years, $48 million. Take it or leave it, that's not that bad, only 8 a year, and it's reasonable. I think he'll except that.

Tommie, the same thing. He is a such a force and he can be argued as the best player on our defense when healthy. Sacks doesn't even start to describe what a DT does. He plugs up the middle, and is a fairly fast guy, and can make a tackle even when a RB is running away. He is so strong and demands double teams, and he deserves every dime he gets. Like Mad said, he's good on and off the field.

Anderson should get a solid offer, but don't worry about him until we have Hester, Urlacher, and Tommie settled. Anderson should be a reasonable $6 million a year for 5 years, maybe more if he shows this year he has a chance against the run.

Urlacher, should get his money. Give the man what he wants. Future HOFer, will have his number retired, and has been great since the first day of his first mini camp. Although, I will say he should have accepted the $5 million signing bonus. How much more could he want? Unbelieveable...

Good as Gould! :headbang

Not as excited about this signing as everyone else is. He isn't worth this money, as he's made ZERO, I repeat ZERO, kicks over 50 yards. Many say he hasn't gotten a shot. Well, maybe because the coaching staff knows he can't make them. We could pick up any K and he can do what Robbie has done. Sure, maybe not make as many kicks as he does, but I'll take a couple more misses inside 50 with more makes over 50.

I think you and I are on the same page regarding the re-signings!

I think you're a little off on your Gould assessment though. The kid is money. When the game is lon the line, he hits it everytime. He is super consistent. Morten Anderson never had a crazy big leg...but he was super steady. That's what we need from a K. We don't need a HR...we need base hits. We have Hester for the HR's!

Agree. First off, we can't just let Hester walk. Put it any way you'd like, he's the best player ever at his position. I understand he's a KR/PR, but he's the BEST PLAYER EVER at his position. You don't just let a guy with his talent and ability walk, especially when he showed signs at the end of last year that he could become a solid #1 somebody for many years, obviously barring injuries. I think we pay him. Offer him 6 years, $48 million. Take it or leave it, that's not that bad, only 8 a year, and it's reasonable. I think he'll except that.

Tommie, the same thing. He is a such a force and he can be argued as the best player on our defense when healthy. Sacks doesn't even start to describe what a DT does. He plugs up the middle, and is a fairly fast guy, and can make a tackle even when a RB is running away. He is so strong and demands double teams, and he deserves every dime he gets. Like Mad said, he's good on and off the field.

Anderson should get a solid offer, but don't worry about him until we have Hester, Urlacher, and Tommie settled. Anderson should be a reasonable $6 million a year for 5 years, maybe more if he shows this year he has a chance against the run.

Urlacher, should get his money. Give the man what he wants. Future HOFer, will have his number retired, and has been great since the first day of his first mini camp. Although, I will say he should have accepted the $5 million signing bonus. How much more could he want? Unbelieveable...

Not as excited about this signing as everyone else is. He isn't worth this money, as he's made ZERO, I repeat ZERO, kicks over 50 yards. Many say he hasn't gotten a shot. Well, maybe because the coaching staff knows he can't make them. We could pick up any K and he can do what Robbie has done. Sure, maybe not make as many kicks as he does, but I'll take a couple more misses inside 50 with more makes over 50.

I think you and I are on the same page regarding the re-signings!

I think you're a little off on your Gould assessment though. The kid is money. When the game is lon the line, he hits it everytime. He is super consistent. Morten Anderson never had a crazy big leg...but he was super steady. That's what we need from a K. We don't need a HR...we need base hits. We have Hester for the HR's!

And when team's start kicking it out of bounds, then who's the HR hitter? Look, I agree that Robbie is a steady, solid K. But what if the game's on the line and it's 51 yarder? What are we going to do, just throw it in the endzone and pray? May as well, seeing how he can't make one outside out 49.

And when team's start kicking it out of bounds, then who's the HR hitter? Look, I agree that Robbie is a steady, solid K. But what if the game's on the line and it's 51 yarder? What are we going to do, just throw it in the endzone and pray? May as well, seeing how he can't make one outside out 49.

So if we don't sign him, who do we sign who can consistently kick 50+ yarders?

I think you underestimate how good Gould has been, especially at Soldier Field (28/30 FGs). I would rather have a guy who makes 85% of his kicks inside 50 compared to a guy that makes 75% of his kicks inside 50 but can also occasionally hit a long ball.

So if we don't sign him, who do we sign who can consistently kick 50+ yarders?

I think you underestimate how good Gould has been, especially at Soldier Field (28/30 FGs). I would rather have a guy who makes 85% of his kicks inside 50 compared to a guy that makes 75% of his kicks inside 50 but can also occasionally hit a long ball.

Fair enough. Personally, I think he wasn't worth all that money, and that a kicker like Vinatieri should be the highest paid. And, if he thinks he's worth that, he's fooling himself and all of us.

Fair enough. Personally, I think he wasn't worth all that money, and that a kicker like Vinatieri should be the highest paid. And, if he thinks he's worth that, he's fooling himself and all of us.

The Bears think he is worth that - they are the one's paying him.

Ill take Gould any day, He has a better average then any kicker before him, and was 2nd only to tomlinson in scoring. Given that Ill take him everytime.