Tommie Harris signed 4 yrs

butkusrules

Bears sign Tommie Harris to four-year extension

June 19, 2008

Recommend (3)

BY BRAD BIGGS Staff Reporter

Tommie Harris‚ the Bears' three-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle, agreed to a four-year contract extension Thursday night, meaning he will remain in place through 2012.

Agent Drew Rosenhaus hammered out the deal in person at Halas Hall, his fourth trip to town in two months to try to secure a long-term contract. Harris had been hoping for a four-year deal, but the extension means he will be 30 when he's ready to hit the free-agent market again. He faced the likelihood of being franchise tagged after this season if a contract was not worked out

June 19, 2008

Recommend (3)

Tommie Harris‚ the Bears' three-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle, agreed to a four-year contract extension Thursday night, meaning he will remain in place through 2012.

Agent Drew Rosenhaus hammered out the deal in person at Halas Hall, his fourth trip to town in two months to try to secure a long-term contract. Harris had been hoping for a four-year deal, but the extension means he will be 30 when he's ready to hit the free-agent market again. He faced the likelihood of being franchise tagged after this season if a contract was not worked out

Great news, 2 to go (Hester & Urlacher). Hopefully T Harris stays healthy and earns every penny.

Sweet! :headbang

4yr 40 million

Bears agreed to terms with DT Tommie Harris on a four-year extension through 2012. Profootballtalk.com reports the deal is worth $40 million.

He'll receive $27 million in the first three years, putting the deal in the Randy Moss range and making Harris the NFL's richest DT. Harris, 25, will hit free agency again at the age of 29. If he can avoid recurring knee injuries, Harris should get three huge contracts, including his rookie deal. It's also a good move for the Bears, who are locking up arguably the league's best "three technique" defensive tackle. Harris had eight sacks and forced two fumbles in 2007 despite playing at less than 100% almost all season. Jun. 19 - 9:31 pm et

Bears agreed to terms with DT Tommie Harris on a four-year extension through 2012. Profootballtalk.com reports the deal is worth $40 million.

He'll receive $27 million in the first three years, putting the deal in the Randy Moss range and making Harris the NFL's richest DT. Harris, 25, will hit free agency again at the age of 29. If he can avoid recurring knee injuries, Harris should get three huge contracts, including his rookie deal. It's also a good move for the Bears, who are locking up arguably the league's best "three technique" defensive tackle. Harris had eight sacks and forced two fumbles in 2007 despite playing at less than 100% almost all season. Jun. 19 - 9:31 pm et

Yes! Now my Harris jersey won't go down the road of my A-Train one.

This was the one we all knew was going to get done no matter what. Hopefully we can keep Urlacher happy and then begin working on what could be one of the most difficult contracts in NFL history with Hester. Having Briggs, Harris, Vasher and Tillman signed long term provides us with a very solid core for our defense.

Well, aside from Hester, who's left to extend?

Renegotiate Urlacher and then Im not sure about some of the other guys. I cant think of any key players off the top of my head whose contracts are up soon. When is Ogun signed through? Also, possibly Mike Brown if he stays healthy this year.

Awesome news, something the team needed to hear after all the recent acrimony. This was the big one that had to get out of the way for us to close the deal on the other contracts. It's nice that we have Harris, Vasher, Tillman, Briggs, and Url locked up long term and I believe Alex Brown has an extension too. I'd like to see a good safety in that mix too. Behind Harris we also have a rookie DT who is supposed to be pretty good at shooting the gap too so not only do we have our starter at that spot we likely have his backup. At the other DT spot we have Dusty/Adams. I have to say that right now it seems our D is loaded with top talent and depth everywhere except safety.

On the flip side this also means the focus of our big spending the next year or two can be on the offensive side of the ball. Something we badly need, assuming we can find someone worth the money.

Getting Harris out of the way will allow the Bears to get Url's situation taken care of. I think one of the stumbling blocks for the Bears in trying to deal with Url was not knowing what it would take to complete the Harris deal. He was obviously top priority over Url because Url was already under contract. Now the Bears can step back, check their books, and see what they can afford to do to keep Url happy.

This signing is another great move by the front office of the Bears. For a franchise who everyone likes to take shots at saying they are "cheap" it sure seems to me they do a mighty fine job of rewarding players for performance on the field.

June 19, 2008

Recommend (3)

Sounds like a good deal all around. Bears get him for 4 extra years and he'll still be young enough to sign another big contract if he continues to perform.

I am glad that this got done as we all have expressed our desire for Tommie remaining at Halas Hall. Now as others have mentioned, we need to create a nice deal to keep Hester here and happy and then we need to work something out with Brian to make him happier once again. I do like the fact that Brian continues to show up for mini-camps and OTAs, as this should only help his negotiating power with Ted Philips and company. Not sure who else is left that is a must sign however, very happy with locking Tommie in.

All rejoice! :cheers

June 19, 2008

Recommend (3)

Good thought! Many of us like calling out the Bears as cheap...they are proving otherwise. Now, we can still call them dumb though! ;)

Getting Harris out of the way will allow the Bears to get Url's situation taken care of. I think one of the stumbling blocks for the Bears in trying to deal with Url was not knowing what it would take to complete the Harris deal. He was obviously top priority over Url because Url was already under contract. Now the Bears can step back, check their books, and see what they can afford to do to keep Url happy.

This signing is another great move by the front office of the Bears. For a franchise who everyone likes to take shots at saying they are "cheap" it sure seems to me they do a mighty fine job of rewarding players for performance on the field.

I won't argue the "cheap"...but I could go on about the "dumb" for a while! Not in relation to signing our our good players...just about everything else!

There was never any doubt this was going to happen. They aren't cheap or dumb at Halas Hall.

I'd like to hear they're making progress on the rookies. For two years in a row we've been the first team to get our guys in. It'd be nice if that streak continues.