Leftwich interests Bears?

ostrogoth

Free agent Byron Leftwich says he's lost 25 pounds and wants to join a team for training camp.

His first Rotoworld post in 17 weeks. Dropping 25 lbs off his playing weight would put Leftwich at 6'5/225 and possibly enhance his mobility. Bears personnel director Bobby DePaul called Leftwich "an interesting guy," but the 28-year-old QB hasn't had so much as a free agent visit. Perhaps the Bears will give him a call if Kyle Orton doesn't separate himself this summer.

I don't think Leftwich is a bad football player, in fact, if healthy and on the right unit, I think he can be a league average to a bit above average NFL QB. The one issue is that he would enter the season in a similar page as Orton and Rex and I don't know if the Bears have enough snaps to really handle this.

Heck, if all three were on the roster I'd grade them all out evenly. I think the best thing the Bears could do is get a journeyman old time 3rd stringer or a young guy they really like (and just have him as the 3rd string in a role playing role under the concept that if it comes down to you relying on the 3rd stringer your season's done anyway so you might as well just turn things over to the kid and start preparing for the next season).

In my opinion, Leftwich is better than either of the Bears QBs. While I grade them out relatively even, it's Leftwich's composure and leadership ability that pushes him above the other two.

Remember this: Leftwich stood in the pocket with a broken leg.

My key issue w/ Leftwhich is, as I understand it, he has a windup and slow release. Jax tried to hasten his release, but never could. Not sure if it is simply mechanics, or how quickly he reads/processes the field, but either way, a slow release behind a very questionable OL is asking for trouble.

He certianly interests me!

I just don't trust our platoon of throwers...

Free agent Byron Leftwich says he's lost 25 pounds and wants to join a team for training camp.

His first Rotoworld post in 17 weeks. Dropping 25 lbs off his playing weight would put Leftwich at 6'5/225 and possibly enhance his mobility. Bears personnel director Bobby DePaul called Leftwich "an interesting guy," but the 28-year-old QB hasn't had so much as a free agent visit. Perhaps the Bears will give him a call if Kyle Orton doesn't separate himself this summer.

Remember this: Leftwich stood in the pocket with a broken leg.

Part of the reason he did that though was, as NFO said, he has a slow release and isn't that mobile...this led to him taking a ton of shots and essentially always being banged up.

Before thinking of him as a savior...this was a guy who couldn't beat out Harrington for the Falcons job last year.

Bringing him in isn't the worst idea I've ever heard, and who knows, you could strike gold, but I'd still keep the Orton/Grossman competition for my top 2 slots and tell Leftwich he's my #3 guy going in to camp and he has to earn anything beyond that.

Considering Byron is unemployed...I'm sure he'd be ok being 3rd to 2 very suspect QB's...

Part of the reason he did that though was, as NFO said, he has a slow release and isn't that mobile...this led to him taking a ton of shots and essentially always being banged up.

Before thinking of him as a savior...this was a guy who couldn't beat out Harrington for the Falcons job last year.

Bringing him in isn't the worst idea I've ever heard, and who knows, you could strike gold, but I'd still keep the Orton/Grossman competition for my top 2 slots and tell Leftwich he's my #3 guy going in to camp and he has to earn anything beyond that.

I'll pass. Obviously Leftwich didn't read defenses that well although he has a strong arm. I just don't see how he's better than Rex or Kyle and I really prefer finding a 3rd stringer who has potential. Leftwich is maxed out and I don't see that max as any better than Rex or Kyle. If Mr. Hanie isn't what we think he is then go find some other young prospect. As far as his leadership, I believe he had some locker room issues and wasn't very well liked in Jacksonville. Do we really want an arrogant and selfish guy as our 3rd string QB?

As hard as it is for teams to find good QBs and good backup QBs, and even a cheap 3rd string QB you have to realize there's a valid reason nobody has interest in this guy. Not to say someone won't bite if they get desperate enough. I just hope that isn't us.

If we need another QB I would much rather have it be one of our undrafted guys or someone younger who was never given a shot. If Orton and Grossman either get hurt or dont produce there is nothing Leftwich will be able to do to help us. We would be better off letting some younger guys take a stab at it to see if they can compete in the league.

If we sign him. What will we do without our beloved Kyle Orton? :bang

Better yet, what will we do without your beloved Rex Grossman. :rolleyes:

Honestly, we don't need Leftwich. I think it speaks for itself and everyone in this thread has covered the reasons. He's never healthy, and when people say he is, he isn't very good. I'd really like to us make a push for a quality QB in next year's draft or next year's free agent class, because I'm personally sick of this mediocre Chicago Bears QB bulls***.

Exact-a-mundo!

I actually do not have a problem w/ Leftwhich. He has not suceeded in the NFL, but has not been bad either, and could still improve in the right situation or under the right guidance. But that is beside the point.

We are going into the season w/ Orton or Rex as the starter, and whoever loses the starting competition, will get the first opportunity if something happens to the starter (either injury or he just flat out stinks). If we need to go to our 3rd QB, the season is done, so what is the point of playing a journey veteran at that point. At that point, you are better off simply throwing the rookie into the fire. Hey, Orton did well enough when thrown into that situation.

Of coarse, this would only upset me more that we passed on QBs in the draft, but that too is beside the point.

There's plenty of journey men vets about but are any of them any better than Grossman or Orton? I dont think so and that includes Leftwich, sure he has a big arm but he's a sitting duck, Culpepper bombed in Oakland and if you cant make it in Oakland (mind you there O-line was worse than ours last year).

There's also another ex Jags QB on the market. Quinn Gray signed as a FA with the Texans but was cut within a couple of months.

I think Chris Simms stay in Tampa might be near an end so I'd have a look at him (and I think we tried to get Gradkowski but the Rams were ahead of us on the waiver list)

Culpepper is still the best QB out there for us to get. You may say he bombed in Oakland but who wouldn't with the bad line and OC they have, but the factor that he can run adds something to his pocket presence and his arm is still good

STOP IT! My Goodness! What on earth is wrong with you? How many freakin ways does Culpepper have to prove he's NOT capable of playing QB in this league before guys like you will give it a rest? What? Does he need to come here and screw up our entire offense and fail miserably so you will finally give it up? Sorry guy but if you think that Culpepper is better than either Orton or Grossman, you need to slowly back away from that crack pipe you've been toking on. I apologize if you think I sound like a jerk but enough already with the Culpepper saga.

Culpepper is still the best QB out there for us to get. You may say he bombed in Oakland but who wouldn't with the bad line and OC they have, but the factor that he can run adds something to his pocket presence and his arm is still good

Dante only looked good because he had a hall of fame WR catching passes from him. His time is over.

Peace :dabears

NO THANKS