The Key to the 2008 Bear's Defense...

Pixote

Brian Urlacher? Tommie Harris? Tillman, Vasher, Briggs???? Nope, I think the critical link to the Bears defense in 2008 is Mike Brown. I am not saying we could not be successful with him on the IR. But I think his absence on the field takes more away from this defense than the absence of any other one player. We have good options at the other positions. Briggs could easily play MLB. We have players ready to replace Briggs. We have some nice looking DBs behind Vasher & Tillman. But we are not only weak in proven depth at Safety, but Brown brings far more to the defense than his playing skills at the position, he brings LEADERSHIP.

Chicago Bears Strategy and Personnel

Despite a long list of injuries that have kept him sidelined for 43 of the past 64 games, Mike Brown is still a key component in the Bears' defense - as long as he's healthy.

Brown has looked like the same 2005 Pro Bowl player who always seems to be in the middle of the action and around the ball. He's the starting free safety less than nine months after the torn ACL that ended his 2007 season in the first game of the year.

"We've noticed him quite a bit; you've noticed him quite a bit, and that's normally how it goes with Mike out on the football field," Bears coach Lovie Smith said. "He's an all-pro player; he practices that way. The same player you see on the practice field you see on game day. We need him to be successful, and I see him having the best year he's had so far."

Because the Bears can't be sure that Brown will hold up for an entire season, they brought him back this year with a restructured contract that dropped his base salary from $2.44 million to $950,000, although with incentives, it's possible he'll make up the difference. If he's bitter about the situation, Brown's doing a great job of hiding it.

"I think it's definitely fair because they're giving me an opportunity to make (the same money)," he said. "They're giving me an opportunity; I just have to be on the field, and I think that's totally fair. I don't think they're losing out on anything and I don't think I'm losing out on anything because I feel like I will be able to play."

Got to love Mike Brown. He is probably my favorite Bear on the current roster. That being said, I am hoping beyond hope that one of the younger players on the roster is ready to step up into his role because we simply cannot depend on him staying healthy. Payne or Steltz - I really don't care who it is.

Peace :dabears

I have loved Mike Brown for a long time and feel bad with all the injuries that he has suffered through lately. I am hoping that Mike is able to stay healthy this year because without a doubt he brings far too many intangibles to the defense that no one else has shown as of yet. If Mike unfortunately goes down once again, we definitely need someone to step up further in the defensive backfield and hopefully provide a similar spark to this team.

Harris is the only one I might tend to disagree w/, though I would say it is close.

Harris is the one DCs now say they game plan for, not Urlacher. We do not have a single proven DT other than Harris. Whoever starts next to Harris will be unproven. In fact, it is likely our #2 and #3 DTs do not have jack for experience in them. Dusty due to injuries the last two years and Harrison as he is a rookie.

Even if one of them step up, or another DT does, the dropoff in talent is likely to be pretty big.

The other problem is, so much of our defense relies on the DT. Lovie always talks about how it all starts upfront. We rush our DEs to the outside, to push them inside for the DTs. If the DTs do not penetrate, then there is no pressure, and all is lost anyway.

Mike Brown is a huge piece, not so much for his pure talent, but for his brain on the field. He simply makes everyone around him play better. Further, it is questionable whether we have a replacement for him still. It seems, going off OTAs, the staff is looking at Steltz to back him up, but Steltz is more of an in the box safety, making it a bit questionable how well he plays FS, especially in place of Brown. On the other hand, if our CBs are healthy and our SS position is improved (from Arch) then the loss of Brown might not be felt quite as much. Last year, we had both CBs down and Arch at SS was as bad as an injury to a starter, thus the loss of Brown was felt that much more. If all the rest are healthy, his loss "might" not be as crucial as last year.

If everyone on the DL is healthy but Harris, I think the effect there is dramatic.

Very true I think.

He's been the key for every year.

All I keep thinking of is when he called out the team after the Browns game all those years ago... He is the tue leader of the D I think. We need to hop, as you've mentioned, that one of the new keys can really learn from him.

Brian Urlacher? Tommie Harris? Tillman, Vasher, Briggs???? Nope, I think the critical link to the Bears defense in 2008 is Mike Brown. I am not saying we could not be successful with him on the IR. But I think his absence on the field takes more away from this defense than the absence of any other one player. We have good options at the other positions. Briggs could easily play MLB. We have players ready to replace Briggs. We have some nice looking DBs behind Vasher & Tillman. But we are not only weak in proven depth at Safety, but Brown brings far more to the defense than his playing skills at the position, he brings LEADERSHIP.

Chicago Bears Strategy and Personnel

We can hope the new guys learn from him, but I do not expect any of them to replace Brown's leadership, which is the aspect of him that makes him great.

IMHO, we need to see other players/positions step up and take on a leadership role. I do not mean lead by example, but an actual vocal leader. Harris seems like a potential candidate. I think Hunter could be, but he may feel a bit insecure as the weakest of the three at his position.

Frankly, that is a problem for me, and why I think we fail when Brown is out. Do we have any leaders on this defense? We have great players, and you can argue some lead by example, but do we have any true, vocal leaders? I am not sure.

We can hope the new guys learn from him, but I do not expect any of them to replace Brown's leadership, which is the aspect of him that makes him great.

IMHO, we need to see other players/positions step up and take on a leadership role. I do not mean lead by example, but an actual vocal leader. Harris seems like a potential candidate. I think Hunter could be, but he may feel a bit insecure as the weakest of the three at his position.

Frankly, that is a problem for me, and why I think we fail when Brown is out. Do we have any leaders on this defense? We have great players, and you can argue some lead by example, but do we have any true, vocal leaders? I am not sure.

That is part of the problem NFOLIGNO with the defense and the whole team overall. I think that Mike Brown definitely brings intangibles that others do not to the field.

I think the torch has been passed to Harris. Sorry to say but at some point a guy has to be on the field to be considered key and Mike just hasn't been there enough the last few years. The players have all learned to get along without him. It's not that he's not valuable, a big contributor, and one of the leaders but if he goes down again this year nobody is going to be surprised by it. We have other guys in our defensive backfield who provide leadership now in Tillman and Vasher. Not in the same league as what Brown contributes but it's not the huge dropoff we had years ago when those guys were in their first and second years.

I also want to add that part of the reason we have this same discussion every offseason is that the players who replace Brown are below average. DManning, Arch, McGowan, Chris Harris. I'd say three of those guys have all improve over the years but when they first hit the field it wasn't pretty. If that dropoff hadn't been so big I don't think so many would rate Brown as the key to our D this year. Pixote said he felt we had poor depth again this year but I don't think it's as bad as other years.

Last year wouldn't have been as bad if we didn't trade Chris Harris (I agreed with that deal). I'm mixing SS and FS in this discussion because I think it's been weakness at both positions that's made Mike Brown's loss even more painful. I think McGowan will be improved this year at SS. I think Steltz has the instincts and attitude needed for the position; not the athleticism but Mike Brown isn't that athletic either. I still like Payne and felt he'd be a contributor last year (special teams and possibly 3rd safety in that one scheme) but got hurt early. I don't know what to think of DManning; I love his athleticism but he's just lost out there and sometimes tackles like a girl. Oddly he is the only player on our roster listed as FS, everyone else is listed as S. It seems we've just drafted around him and will try to find a spot for him in the nickel of dime package.

So for the combo of the two factors 1) nobody will be counting on Brown this year and 2) better depth than what we had on the field last year (how bad was Arch?) that won't make his loss as big a factor if it happens. Then the third factor in that Harris is going to be the locker room leader and the leader on the field. Brown may well lead the Safeties but the entire D is no longer looking toward him IMO.

But the question is, if Brown goes down, who can take over that role?

I think we have leadership potential on the DL, and that can help in the huddle and locker room, but I am not sure leadership on the DL can really help once you lineup. Pretty hard for the DT to yell to the FS.

So I think we need a leader to emerge from the back 7. I have seen nothing to lead me to expect this from Briggs or Urlacher. I think Hunter could, but has never taken that role. I haven't seen much from Tillman or Vasher for me to expect that.

Right now, about the only hope I have would be for Steltz. He did exhibit some of those qualities in college at least. Other than him, I am not sure who else to expect that field general role from.

I understand that aspect but the point of this thread is who is the "key" to the defense that we can't afford to lose. We've gone so long without Mike Brown and at times have still been outstanding on D so while I want him out there I just don't think if he goes down again it's all going to fall apart.

I think Harris is the key to making Dline play well and without him the rest of the line becomes very average. When we don't get pressure up the middle all the other groups (LB, DB) struggle as well. I'm hopeful too that we finally have some more depth at the DT position with Harrison, Dusty, Adams etc. but much like safety we haven't really seen that. Harris played hurt most of last year and rarely practiced.

As far as lining guys up I think Urlacher does a pretty good job of it but if he puts the safety in the right gap and he whiffs on the tackle it didn't make matter. That's why I included the points about the quality of the players we put on the field year after year when Brown went down. It wasn't just his leadership lining up guys that we missed, it was his tackling ability. I think we finally will have some better tacklers at S this year among McGowan, Payne, Steltz. We all know DManning can't tackle well, Chris Harris used to dive in and either got a big hit or caught nothing but air. I always like McGowan in the box but he wasn't very effective once he got hurt last year. By the way, he's now listed at 207lbs, didn't he used to be below 190lb?

I'm not saying there won't be a dropoff if Brown goes down, I just don't think we're going to fall apart. Overall I think we might finally have solid depth all the way around the defensive roster. Much depends on the rookies but we've picked a lot of good talent over the last couple years Safety is still the weakest overall but if the other units are as good as I think they can be that will reduce the reliance on them.

Obviously, yes, he's the key. But the D needs to learn how to move on without him. He obviously will never play more then 10 games in a season in his career again. I'm surprised he even has an ACL or achillies anymore..

I think Hines Ward is missing both his ACLs. Hopefully, Brown can produce like Wards been able to.

Im confused on what a lot of you guys consider leadership. Strong play? Vocal? Best with the media? Someone the team looks up to? A seasoned veteran? For all we know Alex Brown could be the leader or even someone like HH. One thing we do know is that the whole defense is a very tight knit group. You never hear one of them calling another out. They never lay blame on their teammates. When one of them makes a mistake, another one is there to pick them up. Tillman, Vasher, Urlacher, Briggs, HH, Ogun, Alex Brown, Mike Brown, Harris, Briggs...All of those guys have shown leadership qualities in the past and without being in the locker room outsiders may never know who is considered the "leader." Why does there have to be someone designated a leader anyway? I would imagine at anytime if any younger player needed to they could go to any of these guys for leadership. I just dont understand why everyone is so concerned with figuring out if Harris is overtaking Urlacher. I bet if you asked both of them they would both say the other one, actually, I guarantee they would both say Mike Brown.

It is being discussed because it is probably the slowest time of the year right now, so there isn't much else to talk about.

There are many types of leaders, but I think the key for the discussion is Mike Brown. When Brown is out, the defense suffers. Brown is not the best athlete on the field. Not even close. He is great, but is he great like Harris or Uralcher? Is he great in a way that can not be replaced? In so far as play, I am not sure. Thus the reason for the direction of the discussion. Leadership. IMHO, it is Brown's leadership that has never been replaced.

You cay players don't call each other out, but that is not always the case. It was Brown that said that one year the defense sucked. I recall Brown getting in Mike Greens face once when he botched an assignment. Mike Green is like a coach on the field. We may not be able to replace "that", but I think it a valid question whether or not someone will step up to try and take that mantle.

You say we have a lot of leaders or potential leaders, but who? I am not sure I have seen much leadership from this group. Many you might say lead by example, but in terms of field generals, I have seen none.

As we all know, different players make different impacts on the team. Whether it is being in position to make a play or putting someone else in position to make a play, Mike Brown is the man. I truly feel he is the straw that stirs the drink.(kool-aid of course) If you look at overall excellence and proven consistency, Brian Urlacher is the man. But, if you look at an unstoppable force that creates havoc and disrupts the timing of the offense, look no further than Tommie. Which player is the key and we can least do without? Tough question.

If you look at what happens when we lose any one of these players the result is similar. (The defense suffers) I would like to see a W/L and defensive stats in relation to these players respective health. Our defense will still be good if we lose one of these players, will be hamstrung if we lose two and devastated if we lose all three. IMO - the most irreplaceable player is Urlacher. I just seem to notice more of a difference when he is not in the game. But, in playing the odds game, with Harris and Urlacher being more physically dependable, Brown is the key. If he stays healthy, odds are all three will have a season together.

That's the millions dallor questions for sure...

I'd honestly say it's Tommie at this point iin the game. He appears to be poised to make a run at being the "team vocal leader". However, on the field is another thing... I just hope Steltz is a VERY good student. If he's likened to the great Plank, then I'm holding out some hope.

As you pretty much state, no one else on the roster seems capable of it at the moment.

But the question is, if Brown goes down, who can take over that role?

I think we have leadership potential on the DL, and that can help in the huddle and locker room, but I am not sure leadership on the DL can really help once you lineup. Pretty hard for the DT to yell to the FS.

So I think we need a leader to emerge from the back 7. I have seen nothing to lead me to expect this from Briggs or Urlacher. I think Hunter could, but has never taken that role. I haven't seen much from Tillman or Vasher for me to expect that.

Right now, about the only hope I have would be for Steltz. He did exhibit some of those qualities in college at least. Other than him, I am not sure who else to expect that field general role from.

The number one key to the Bears defense is health. If I could point to any one player I'd say the most important player on the Bears defense is either Tommie Harris or Brian Urlacher. The Bears have been nothing short of horrendous when Urlacher is injured (just look at the record). However, a healthy, 100% Harris (we didn't see that Harris last year) is by far and away the best defensive tackle (if not lineman) in the entire NFL. When you mix that with the Bears playing an inexperienced DT next to him (whomever that may be...hopefully a healthy Dusty) he becomes even more key (as the Bears have Briggs/Hill at the LB core, who both are very experienced and a capable backup in Jamar Williams (Briggs would obviously slide to MLB) in the case that Urlacher went down.

I can't even consider Mike Brown and if he really is the key this team is probably screwed given his injury history (Love the guy, but can't possible call him key, he definitely makes this team much better when healthy but do we really even know if he has the physical ability to be a difference maker anymore.