Panthers send Smith home after fight with Lucas

DrunkBomber

SPARTANBURG, S.C. -- Carolina Panthers receiver Steve Smith was sent home from training camp Friday after he punched teammate Ken Lucas during practice, causing the starting cornerback to be carted off the field holding an ice pack to his left eye.

Panthers coach John Fox said Smith and Lucas returned to Charlotte, about 80 miles away, after the fight. Neither player was present for the team's second practice Friday night.

Panthers coach John Fox said Smith and Lucas returned to Charlotte after the fight. The team didn't provide an update on the extent of Lucas' injuries and club officials declined to say if the volatile Smith, the team's top receiver, would be suspended.

Smith's agent, Derrick Fox, did not return phone calls seeking comment.

On the second day of training camp Smith complained that reporters have dwelled on his past, and that he's a different person now.

"When I was 22 I was a different guy, so I'm not trying to spin anything," Smith said Sunday. "You spend two hours with somebody and now you know them, that's not the case."

Under terms of the collective bargaining agreement, Smith could be suspended without pay for up to four games for conduct detrimental to the team.

A possible suspension to Carolina's top playmaker cast a shadow over the team Friday afternoon.

"Obviously everybody is going to be waiting to see what the repercussions are from this event," Muhammad said. "I'm just praying that we rally together as a team, because obviously there's going to be some adversity here. The focus is not where it needs to be right now.

"I'm hoping we can all come together as a team, as a family, and are able to put this behind us."

Under terms of the collective bargaining agreement, Smith could be suspended without pay for up to four games for conduct detrimental to the team.

If this holds true then he won't be playing AGAIagainst us in the second game. :pray

The team only has the power to do that though right? If thats the case I doubt they would do that.

suspended for 2 games

ESPNews reports the Carolina Panthers have suspended WR Steve Smith suspended two games for his involvement in the fight with CB Ken Lucas in training camp. Smith will be allowed to play in preseason games and practice with the team beginning Monday, Aug. 4.

suspended for 2 games

ESPNews reports the Carolina Panthers have suspended WR Steve Smith suspended two games for his involvement in the fight with CB Ken Lucas in training camp. Smith will be allowed to play in preseason games and practice with the team beginning Monday, Aug. 4.

So that means no Steve Smith when we go into Carolina. It helps, but I would rather he played because I think we owe him some pay back.

I don't think they are worried at all because they have Moose fill in as the #1 WR. I don't foresee any dropoff at all when we play them.

AZ54 - Please tell me you were saying this tongue in cheek, you really are not serious are you?

AZ54 - Please tell me you were saying this tongue in cheek, you really are not serious are you?

Of course that was tongue in cheek. I was slamming Moose throughout the second half of last year and felt he should have been benched. After the Panthers signed him in the offseason I read some article stating what a great pickup he was and how he was a really good WR. His problem in Chicago was that we didn't know how to properly utilize a receiver with his talent. Apparently the Panthers know what to do with a WR who drops easy passes, can't run fast, and can't come out of his cuts fast. I look forward to playing against him.

Of course that was tongue in cheek. I was slamming Moose throughout the second half of last year and felt he should have been benched. After the Panthers signed him in the offseason I read some article stating what a great pickup he was and how he was a really good WR. His problem in Chicago was that we didn't know how to properly utilize a receiver with his talent. Apparently the Panthers know what to do with a WR who drops easy passes, can't run fast, and can't come out of his cuts fast. I look forward to playing against him.

Maybe Rex and Kyle can collectively throw a couple grand to Mike Brown to put a hit on him for throwing them under the bus. C'mon Mikey let him have it!!!