upcoming cuts

Wesson44

Well, looking over the roster I saw 8 names that stick out as strong candidates for early cuts, so I would say the first cuts would be amoung these players as the first "bubbles":

#01 - Zach Atterbury K

#32 - Trey Brown CB

#72 - Joe Clermond DE

#43 - Josh Gettis S

#15 - Ryan Grice-Mullen WR

#46 - Leslie Majors CB

#79 - Nick Osborn DE

#49 - Marcus Stone TE

I wouldn't be surprised if they try to put Grice Mullen on the PS

I will be shocked as sh&t if Michael Okwo makes the roster this year, 3rd round pick or not. He is clearly behind the three starters, Wilson, McLovin', Williams and Roach (did I forget anyone else who plays LB?).

I won't be surprised if Marty Booker gets axed, if not this round then sometime between now and opening day. He hasn't impressed me at all in the games I've seen thus far. He can't get separation at all. He's lost a step. Far be it from me to place vagina-man Mark Bradley ahead of him but at least he offers speed.

At $2 million for the season, Booker needs to be a starter. I'm not sure we're better off with him out there than any of the other guys we have right now. I'd go with hester/LLoyd if it were up to me. Is Booker worth $2 million a season to play third down only? Not in my book.

The reason I think this is relevant to this thread is, they might release him now and say something along the lines of "we're letting him catch on elsewhere."

All of this goes out the window if they paid him a significant signing bonus. I don't know the details of his deal. Anyone?

I won't be surprised if Marty Booker gets axed, if not this round then sometime between now and opening day. He hasn't impressed me at all in the games I've seen thus far. He can't get separation at all. He's lost a step. Far be it from me to place vagina-man Mark Bradley ahead of him but at least he offers speed.

At $2 million for the season, Booker needs to be a starter. I'm not sure we're better off with him out there than any of the other guys we have right now. I'd go with hester/LLoyd if it were up to me. Is Booker worth $2 million a season to play third down only? Not in my book.

The reason I think this is relevant to this thread is, they might release him now and say something along the lines of "we're letting him catch on elsewhere."

All of this goes out the window if they paid him a significant signing bonus. I don't know the details of his deal. Anyone?

I believe it was a 2 yr, 4 million dollar deal with a 2 million bonus. They will keep him over Vagina boy simply because of his experience level if they decide on only 5 receivers.

Peace :dabears

Booker is one of those vets that never shows up in practice or preseason highlight films. Some players are like that and I heard in an interview this is his MO. I do not think he will be cut and once the season starts he will show why the Bears picked him back up.

I hope he does because he hasn't done much to impress me yet. Starting WR will be Davis, Hester, Lloyd backed up by Bennett and Booker. If we go with 6 Hass joins the mix.

I'll be shocked if they let go of hass. He's made some of the most difficult catches this camp only other would be bennett. I think we'll keep six with the starters being lloyd and hester/booker. Hester and booker will split reps with the second receiver spot because although hester can be a great wide out we don't want to wear him down in the return duties. I'm not saying hester will play the same role as last year, he will definitly play more than last year, but he will have split it up so he can still have fresh legs to return kicks. I see bennet, davis, and hass in a rotation role when we go to 3 and 4 wr sets and no te's are out there (especially on long yardage situations, which we will see all the freakin time!). I hope they give hass a chance cause he puts his body out there to make the catch much like waddle did back in the day. We need someone like that!

I believe it was a 2 yr, 4 million dollar deal with a 2 million bonus. They will keep him over Vagina boy simply because of his experience level if they decide on only 5 receivers.

I would add that, as we are now going w/ Orton, a less experienced QB, I think we are more likely to keep Booker, a more experienced WR.

Maybe it is a false sense of blind faith based off years past w/ Booker, but I simply am not as worried about him. There are several veterans in camp who we really don't read anything about, but to me, that is because they are simply meeting expectations. To me, if we were reading more articles about Booker, it would likely not be a good thing. Seriously, I doubt there would be many articles if Booker were looking good, but if he were looking bad enough to be cut, I think we would read a ton about it.

name='nfoligno' date='Aug 18 2008, 11:31 PM' post='44408']

I would add that, as we are now going w/ Orton, a less experienced QB, I think we are more likely to keep Booker, a more experienced WR.

Maybe it is a false sense of blind faith based off years past w/ Booker, but I simply am not as worried about him. There are several veterans in camp who we really don't read anything about, but to me, that is because they are simply meeting expectations. To me, if we were reading more articles about Booker, it would likely not be a good thing. Seriously, I doubt there would be many articles if Booker were looking good, but if he were looking bad enough to be cut, I think we would read a ton about it.

I said this in another post, but I'll add it here. I would give Orton some power in this decision process. I would think they would keep the one's with the best rapport with Orton. Looking at our situation, we made need the WR that can get the quickest separation. Booker may not be that guy.

I said this in another post, but I'll add it here. I would give Orton some power in this decision process. I would think they would keep the one's with the best rapport with Orton. Looking at our situation, we made need the WR that can get the quickest separation. Booker may not be that guy.

Sorry, but no way in hell I give Orton ANY power in the decision making process. If you are talking about Tom Brady or Payton Manning, MAYBE. But even then, it is no more than maybe. You have to be very careful about giving players too much power/authority.

The fact is, this may be Orton's only year w/ the team as a starter. How can you give him power to make decisions that could affect the team beyond this year? For example, lets say he wanted to keep Booker over Bradley, or maybe even over Hass. Understandable from his perspective, if he thinks the veteran helps him more now, but sometimes a GM has to make decisions that might not be as good for now as they are for later.

That is a typical struggle between GM and coach. It only gets harder and more complicated if players get to have a say.

As for "who gets quickest sep", who do you think that is? I have read nothing to lead me to believe Bradley gets quick sep. In fact, from what I have seen in game, he usually gets no sep, despite his speed. And Hass? That is the one knock on the kid. He struggles to get sep, due in part to his lack of speed/quickness. He can make great catches, but he has to as he can't break free from the DB.

Sorry, but no way in hell I give Orton ANY power in the decision making process. If you are talking about Tom Brady or Payton Manning, MAYBE. But even then, it is no more than maybe. You have to be very careful about giving players too much power/authority.

Or they turn into Brett Favre.

The fact is, this may be Orton's only year w/ the team as a starter. How can you give him power to make decisions that could affect the team beyond this year? For example, lets say he wanted to keep Booker over Bradley, or maybe even over Hass. Understandable from his perspective, if he thinks the veteran helps him more now, but sometimes a GM has to make decisions that might not be as good for now as they are for later.

That is a typical struggle between GM and coach. It only gets harder and more complicated if players get to have a say.

Ask Jason, he knows how tough this relationship can be for a GM!

As for "who gets quickest sep", who do you think that is? I have read nothing to lead me to believe Bradley gets quick sep. In fact, from what I have seen in game, he usually gets no sep, despite his speed. And Hass? That is the one knock on the kid. He struggles to get sep, due in part to his lack of speed/quickness. He can make great catches, but he has to as he can't break free from the DB.

Lloyd and Hester will be on the field most of the time this season, book it. I'm having a brain cramp but wasn't Marty known as a good blocking WR? Damn aging! Anyway, if that's the case, Marty will see a lot of action too if he isn't cut. Bradley will be mending his skirt whether he's on the team or not.

We signed Booker to a 2 year deal.

Then, we might turn around and cut him? :huh:

I've made this comment before. I don't know. If he has a big roster bonus due and we didn't pay him much of a signing bonus, or if his deal calls for mostly game checks rather than a big signing bonus, we could cut him. But only if he isn't what we need and other cheaper answers exist.

The chances he'll get cut are mimimal.

I already stated my thoughts on Booker a week ago. From some quick searching I don't see where he got a signing bonus. He's done very little to make an impression so far and that's been stated in several articles. I believe out of respect for him it's been kept quiet.

One of the reasons I said the battle could be between Booker/Bradley/Hass is because we might need Bookers cap space to sign Oline help. If there just isn't that big of a gap between him and Bradley or Hass then a GM would have to look at the big picture. I don't expect Booker is getting cut simply because of his veteran status (that's the way Lovie is) but based on what he's done so far if it were me making the decision I wouldn't rule it out. I listed Booker as the 5th WR and he's not contributing on special teams. Hass knows all WR positions Booker does not, Hass has been playing on special teams. Hass also did a good job on run blocking against Seattle.

As far as I'm concerned Booker had his chances with 1's and 2's the first two games. It's time we get Hass out there for a few plays with the first team to see what he can do. I expect Lloyd, Davis, Hester to start against San Fran but I'd like to see a few plays in the second quarter with Hass out there. If Hass can't cut it against a first string defense then he's an easy cut but I'd much rather see him get an opportunity before we write him off.

I already stated my thoughts on Booker a week ago. From some quick searching I don't see where he got a signing bonus. He's done very little to make an impression so far and that's been stated in several articles. I believe out of respect for him it's been kept quiet.

One of the reasons I said the battle could be between Booker/Bradley/Hass is because we might need Bookers cap space to sign Oline help. If there just isn't that big of a gap between him and Bradley or Hass then a GM would have to look at the big picture. I don't expect Booker is getting cut simply because of his veteran status (that's the way Lovie is) but based on what he's done so far if it were me making the decision I wouldn't rule it out. I listed Booker as the 5th WR and he's not contributing on special teams. Hass knows all WR positions Booker does not, Hass has been playing on special teams. Hass also did a good job on run blocking against Seattle.

As far as I'm concerned Booker had his chances with 1's and 2's the first two games. It's time we get Hass out there for a few plays with the first team to see what he can do. I expect Lloyd, Davis, Hester to start against San Fran but I'd like to see a few plays in the second quarter with Hass out there. If Hass can't cut it against a first string defense then he's an easy cut but I'd much rather see him get an opportunity before we write him off.

Again, who the hell cares? It's PRESEASON!

Hass knows all WR positions Booker does not

What??? Booker has been in the league for 10 yrs. He has played all the WR positions. Give me a break.

Booker is notoriously a crappy practice player. Several reporters have backed this up. Booker performs during game time. He's not going anywhere.

name='nfoligno' date='Aug 19 2008, 10:02 AM' post='44432']

I'm not saying, hey Kyle who do you want us to keep? It's more like, now that you are the man; tell us what and who you ar most comfortable with. It happens everyday, everywhere. The bosses then go to their meeting rooms and weigh all the options. Getting input the starting QB should be part of the process. My bad using the word "power", that probably triggered an involuntary spasm.

Explain how asking for input complicates things? It's a standard way of finding the best possible scenario. Kinda like us fixing the Bears woes, one post at a time. LOL

Did I mention Bradley in my post? (Please do not embelish) Whoever gets the quickest sep, would be the one who the coaches feel get the quickest sep. All I'm saying is, if it's close, go with the best fit with the QB. It's not like any of the bubble guys will ever be great ones that got away.

I'm not saying, hey Kyle who do you want us to keep? It's more like, now that you are the man; tell us what and who you ar most comfortable with. It happens everyday, everywhere. The bosses then go to their meeting rooms and weigh all the options. Getting input the starting QB should be part of the process. My bad using the word "power", that probably triggered an involuntary spasm.

First, and I have said this before, but I just don't think you can compare a sports team to other businesses. It simply rarely matches up.

Second, as another said, if a QB gains chemistry w/ a receiver, it should be obvious to the staff w/o asking for input.

Explain how asking for input complicates things? It's a standard way of finding the best possible scenario. Kinda like us fixing the Bears woes, one post at a time. LOL

First, I would argue it does complicate things. What if the staff disagrees w/ the QB, and doesn't make the move the QB recommends? Then you can create a bitter situation w/ the QB.

Second, you can create locker room problems. What if the QB feels he has more chemistry w/ one player, but the other is a player w/ more locker room respect. It's one thing if the GM is the bad guy, and another IMHO when the QB is the bad guy.

Their, where does it end? Do you ask Tommie Harris what DT he feels more comfortable w/? Do you ask Urlacher what backup LB he feels best about? No, I simply do not see the reason to seek this sort of info from the QB, or any player. To me, more bad than good can come from this.

Did I mention Bradley in my post? (Please do not embelish) Whoever gets the quickest sep, would be the one who the coaches feel get the quickest sep. All I'm saying is, if it's close, go with the best fit with the QB. It's not like any of the bubble guys will ever be great ones that got away.

First, as said before, the staff should be able to see which WR has the most chemistry w/ the QB.

Second, I disagree that a bubble player doesn't ever become the one that got away, as it has happened many times for many teams.

What??? Booker has been in the league for 10 yrs. He has played all the WR positions. Give me a break.

Booker is notoriously a crappy practice player. Several reporters have backed this up. Booker performs during game time. He's not going anywhere.

I'm not saying he is... But I wouldn't put money on his sticking with the team at this point either. If he didn't get a signing bonus and he's not producing, who knows? I wish him the best, either way. He's a class guy. I hope you're right and he steps up come game time. However, I haven't seen anything from him yet that justifies keeping him over someone younger and cheaper.

Im with you on this without him we are going strictly on potential Booker will perform when the season starts and trust me with Orton at QB hes going to see alot of action.

name='nfoligno' date='Aug 20 2008, 09:40 AM' post='44530']

First, and I have said this before, but I just don't think you can compare a sports team to other businesses. It simply rarely matches up.

Human input is what is it is. Thinking outside the bex here, in an attempt to maximige excellence do you think it innappropriate for a QB to have input on what works best and things he feels may be beneficial to the team? Like hey, I really think we can start pulling this play off with this guy. If anyone is going to know and believe, it's the QB. You should not devalue the human aspect.

First, I would argue it does complicate things. What if the staff disagrees w/ the QB, and doesn't make the move the QB recommends? Then you can create a bitter situation w/ the QB.
This already occurs at the pee wee level. You just keep it in house. If you played football, you would now.

Second, you can create locker room problems. What if the QB feels he has more chemistry w/ one player, but the other is a player w/ more locker room respect. It's one thing if the GM is the bad guy, and another IMHO when the QB is the bad guy.
Again, guess who's getting the ball...

Their, where does it end? Do you ask Tommie Harris what DT he feels more comfortable w/? Do you ask Urlacher what backup LB he feels best about? No, I simply do not see the reason to seek this sort of info from the QB, or any player. To me, more bad than good can come from this.
Comparing a defensive player to a QB is just desparate.

First, as said before, the staff should be able to see which WR has the most chemistry w/ the QB.
I don't completely disagree. But then again, it is our staff. :shakehead

Second, I disagree that a bubble player doesn't ever become the one that got away, as it has happened many times for many teams.
Name some WR's we couldn't live without??

You think Booker fully knows all of our WR positons? Fine. I understand what he's done in his career but even he admitted to still learning the offense just a little over a week ago.

This is a huge vote of confidence from a guy who watched all of training camp:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/cs...,3834775.column

"Booker, while looking every bit of 32, has proved himself a reliable receiver and should get the benefit of the doubt. Can a team so thin on the offensive line keep six receivers?"

So far his 1 reception in the preseason "that doesn't count" hasn't impressed me that much. Neither has his one drop. It's preseason but I think that two QBs who are fighting for a starting job would look for the WR they have the most confidence in. They don't appear to going Booker's way. I still maintain that Booker makes the final roster because that's the Lovie Smith way and he may well be our best option. Fair enough, however, at this point he doesn't appear to be a starting WR for us. On top of that, if he weren't performing well enough I suspect JA would have cut him by now to allow him time to find another team.

None of that changes the fact that I'd like to see more from Booker. I still want to see Hass get some time with the first team offense this game. It's time to settle the question of can he play against a first string D. Since Booker apparently knows all he needs to know to play for us, and since he doesn't care to step up and compete in the preseason, he can take a seat for a few plays. The only way Hass makes the team is if we keep 6 WR.