Orton chosen over Grossman as starting quarterback

'TD'

August 18, 2008

Orton chosen over Grossman as starting quarterback

By Larry Mayer

LAKE FOREST, Ill. – The suspense about who would line up under center Sept. 7 in the season opener in Indianapolis ended Monday when Kyle Orton was anointed the Bears’ starting QB.

Coach Lovie Smith cited several factors in choosing Orton over Rex Grossman, concluding a widely publicized competition that began in the spring and continued into the summer.

Kyle Orton has compiled a 12-6 record as a starting quarterback in three seasons.

“To come to a decision like that, we’ve taken a lot of things into consideration—last year, how we finished the season, OTAs, training camp, preseason games,” Smith said. “In the end it comes down to a gut feeling that you have, and I feel good about Kyle leading our team.”

Smith informed Orton of the decision during a meeting Monday.

“Obviously I’m excited,” said the 2005 fourth-round pick from Purdue. “I want to try to make the most of it and win football games. This was one of my goals going into the season. As a team, we’ve got a lot of goals to accomplish and this is just the start of it.”

Orton conceded that he’s happy a decision was made and it will allow him to better prepare for the season, especially because Bears starters are expected to play into the third quarter in Thursday night's preseason game against the 49ers at Soldier Field.

“It’s a relief and now it’s just all about the unit and knowing what everybody’s going to do and just kind of tailoring things to the way that we like it,” Orton said.

“I think I’ve continued to get better in the preseason, so this will be another step to take. We’ll get a lot more playing time this week and just try to get ready for Indianapolis.”

Entering training camp on equal footing, Orton slightly outperformed Grossman in two preseason games, compiling a better completion percentage (63.2-56.5), yards per attempt average (5.21-5.13) and passer rating (76.4-66.9) while connecting on 12 of 19 passes for 99 yards. Grossman has completed 13 of 23 passes for 118 yards.

Starting against the Chiefs and coming in off the bench versus the Seahawks, Orton won the competition without directing the offense to a touchdown or completing a pass of more than 17 yards. His five preseason possessions resulted in two field goals and three punts.

Orton closed with a flourish Saturday night in Seattle, operating a two-minute drill with efficiency. He engineered a 10-play, 51-yard drive in just 1:34, completing 5 of 7 passes for 43 yards to set up Robbie Gould’s 39-yard field goal with :21 remaining in the first half.

Under constant pressure from a fierce Seahawks pass rush, Grossman failed to lead the Bears offense past midfield on five possessions. His only turnover in two preseason games came when he was drilled in the back by Seattle defensive end Darryl Tapp, leading to an interception.

Asked to expand on the variables involved in making the decision, Smith said: “There were a lot of things from completions to turnovers to just the feeling we have on who can manage the game the best for us. The good thing about evaluating both Rex and Kyle is that we’ve had a long time to do it. It’s been quite a few years we’ve had a chance to see both guys played.”

Orton first staked his claim to the starting position late last season when he completed 43 of 80 passes for 478 yards with 3 touchdowns, 2 interceptions and a 73.9 passer rating as the Bears lost to the Vikings before closing 2007 with back-to-back wins over the Packers and Saints.

Prior to playing in Minnesota, Orton hadn’t stepped on the field since compiling a 10-5 record as a surprise starter as a rookie in 2005 when he was elevated from the third string after Grossman broke his ankle and Chad Hutchinson was released.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=5015

“[Orton] is so far ahead of where he was then,” said offensive coordinator Ron Turner. “His knowledge of the system, his physical condition, the way he is throwing the ball; everything.”

“People make such a big deal about that, my rookie year,” Orton said. “But I think everybody on this team has gotten better since they were a rookie, not just me. That stuff’s in the past. I’m just focused on playing good football right now.”

Orton’s .667 winning percentage (12-6) as a starter ranks second among Bears quarterbacks since 1992, trailing only Steve Walsh (8-3, .727) and just ahead of Grossman (19-11, .633).

“That’s what it’s all about in the end—our quarterback leading our team to a victory,” Smith said. “We’ll ask him to do certain things. Some games we may ask him to pass more, other games we may not. There are a lot of things that we’ll ask him to do and you have to feel good about that guy being able to do that, and we feel that way about Kyle.”

People were saying they wanted a fair battle but in the end it wasn't fair and it worked to Orton's benefit. No one will tell me Kyle actually won the job, more so Rex had to go out and take it from him and if he didn't it was going to be Kyle's. Sucks for Rex cause I really like him and hopefully he'll prepare and be ready to come in if Kyle goes down or struggles.

But now that Kyle is the man, I'll do nothing but root and cheer and hope he proves me wrong.

Are you thinking it wasn't fair because Orton got the nod at home agasint KC and Rex the nod in Seattle? Just curious...

People were saying they wanted a fair battle but in the end it wasn't fair and it worked to Orton's benefit. No one will tell me Kyle actually won the job, more so Rex had to go out and take it from him and if he didn't it was going to be Kyle's. Sucks for Rex cause I really like him and hopefully he'll prepare and be ready to come in if Kyle goes down or struggles.

But now that Kyle is the man, I'll do nothing but root and cheer and hope he proves me wrong.

Are you thinking it wasn't fair because Orton got the nod at home agasint KC and Rex the nod in Seattle? Just curious...

The Bears made it seem like the QB's started on an even slate. I personally don't have a problem with ORton being a slight favorite (given he hasn't had the opportunity that Rex has) but the Bears didn't tell Rex that was the case. There is absolutely no way anyone can convince me that Kyle earned the starting job.

Kyle looked like shit on Saturday. He was high with all bunch of his throws and twice threw balls that could have easily been picked and taken back for 6. He was bailed out by some nice plays by his receivers and the fact that he actually had time. Rex looked much better on Saturday than Kyle. However, Rex didn't look good as it would have been impossible for him to do such.

Bottom line no one is going to tell me that Kyle outplayed Rex. I also think both QB's got screwed by the fact that each of them should have gotten full halves to work with (it was pretty tough for either of them to truly work themselves into a rhythm). One week one player gets a full half in the first with the other player getting the opposite. Than in the 3rd game if neither have proven themselves, give each of them the same task (and give the one whose up in the competition another go against the 1st stringers).

Lovie has dissapointed me a lot with the way he's handled certain issues going back to last season (a season where I felt the Bears played as if they had alreayd won the game pretty much every weak and that attitude bit them in the ass). To an extent that attitude is still there as I constantly hear the defensive players talking about how they'll show up and start bringing it week 1. That cocky bullshit attitude has to go considering the defense sucked last season.

I'll say this, Kyle would have a disaster of a Saturday had he been in the same spot as Rex (just as Rex did when he was getting hammered). So would Tom Brady and practically any other QB.

This is how I feel. I would have liked Grossman to get a fair shake but theres no way it could happen with the o line. I hope they do something about it for both QBs benefit. I think Orton can do a good job though.

This is how I feel. I would have liked Grossman to get a fair shake but theres no way it could happen with the o line. I hope they do something about it for both QBs benefit. I think Orton can do a good job though.

It sucks for Kyle though. He's going to have to work with this oline and lack of a receiving core. I've said it for the past couple years but its pretty hard to truly evaluate the Bears offense given the lack of talent the QB's have had to work with (even in the SuperBowl year, that wasn't what I'd call a talented offense). Berrian emerged, Jones was a solid back, and Rex really did do one hell of a job (but it wasn't as if we had a studly WR corps or a game-breaking RB).

I actually came into this thinking the opposite. I could swear the job would be given to Rex again unless Kyle stole the show. I think you very well could be right that it was pretty much Kyle's job to loe or for Rex to take. In the end, Kyle didn't do enough bad to lose it, nor did Rex do enough good to take it from him. If anything, Hanie was the true bright spot.

Unless Kyle gets hurt or played hideiously, we may never see Rex play in the regular or post-season again for the Bears. I won't say goodbye yet, as this club seems to need as many QB's to fill in a regular season as Emelda Marcos has shoes...

Don't ge me started on Lovie being disappointing! ;)

Here's hoping Kyle can turn the corner! (Or at least not turn it over!)

The Bears made it seem like the QB's started on an even slate. I personally don't have a problem with ORton being a slight favorite (given he hasn't had the opportunity that Rex has) but the Bears didn't tell Rex that was the case. There is absolutely no way anyone can convince me that Kyle earned the starting job.

Kyle looked like shit on Saturday. He was high with all bunch of his throws and twice threw balls that could have easily been picked and taken back for 6. He was bailed out by some nice plays by his receivers and the fact that he actually had time. Rex looked much better on Saturday than Kyle. However, Rex didn't look good as it would have been impossible for him to do such.

Bottom line no one is going to tell me that Kyle outplayed Rex. I also think both QB's got screwed by the fact that each of them should have gotten full halves to work with (it was pretty tough for either of them to truly work themselves into a rhythm). One week one player gets a full half in the first with the other player getting the opposite. Than in the 3rd game if neither have proven themselves, give each of them the same task (and give the one whose up in the competition another go against the 1st stringers).

Lovie has dissapointed me a lot with the way he's handled certain issues going back to last season (a season where I felt the Bears played as if they had alreayd won the game pretty much every weak and that attitude bit them in the ass). To an extent that attitude is still there as I constantly hear the defensive players talking about how they'll show up and start bringing it week 1. That cocky bullshit attitude has to go considering the defense sucked last season.

I'll say this, Kyle would have a disaster of a Saturday had he been in the same spot as Rex (just as Rex did when he was getting hammered). So would Tom Brady and practically any other QB.

I actually came into this thinking the opposite. I could swear the job would be given to Rex again unless Kyle stole the show. I think you very well could be right that it was pretty much Kyle's job to loe or for Rex to take. In the end, Kyle didn't do enough bad to lose it, nor did Rex do enough good to take it from him. If anything, Hanie was the true bright spot.

Unless Kyle gets hurt or played hideiously, we may never see Rex play in the regular or post-season again for the Bears. I won't say goodbye yet, as this club seems to need as many QB's to fill in a regular season as Emelda Marcos has shoes...

Don't ge me started on Lovie being disappointing! ;)

Here's hoping Kyle can turn the corner! (Or at least not turn it over!)

At this point it would have been suicide for Lovie to hand the job to Rex. Lovie has to know how bad the line is, and if he handed Rex the job and he failed his job could be in jeopardy. Orton is the safer and easier choice. Rex would have had to win the job.

Entering training camp on equal footing, Orton slightly outperformed Grossman in two preseason games, compiling a better completion percentage (63.2-56.5), yards per attempt average (5.21-5.13)

Yards per attempt is the key stat for QB, IMO. I got that from listening to Doug Buffone on the radio for a few years. His key to success is having this number be 7 yards per attempt. In this regard, both are failing miserably right now.

As to the decision, I support it. Not because I think Kyle outplayed Rex but because Kyle seems more poised, getting rid of the ball more quickly, stepping up in the pocket, and throwing the ball away when necessary. These aren't generally the #1 things to rate a QB on but as a Bears fan, my expectations have been adjusted. Seeing Rex throw off his back foot on Saturday, pathetically, once again, was the last straw for me.

Here's hoping Kyle delivers the goods and never has us questioning this decision.

I agree with the decision that was made but it was a little unfair. Kyle got to play against KC's defense and at home. KC's D isn't exactly good. Rex plays on the road in Seattle where it is really tough to play to begin with. Seattle's D is really good also and they love to bring the pressure all the time regardless of who they play. So yeah it was a little unfair. And now Orton will get to play against 49ers D!!!!! Are you kidding me. lol. Kike I said though I believe Lovie made the right move because I think we just needed a change. We have all seen enough of Rex to throw up.

LOL! Yea Shane Mathews Jr.

You know that QB from Missouri looks pretty good. And we should be drafting pretty high next year..

Im sorry but Chase from Missouri is not going to be the qb we need, he is 5'10. Shit Rex is taller then him. This whole qb comp means nothing. Same major problem as last year: OLINE SUCKS THERE FOR OUR RUN GAME SUCKS THERE FOR OUR PASSING GAME SUCKS. WE WILL SET A RECORD FOR MOST PUNTS IN A SEASON. OUR D WILL WEAR DOWN AND THIS IS GOING TO BE A LONG LONG LONG SEASON.

Either way i will be in front of the tv or at every game just like every year.

On a side note i really hope old number 4 plays his ass off this year and the pack suck. That will make my year.

I 2nd this post; too bad for Rex because there are many things I like about him. Rex has battled adversity his entire career and I know he will be ready if and when his name is called because he is a real professional, the way he has gone about his business. This decision may have saved Rex's career by not naming him the starter especially with how the Oline played in SEA. Just think if the regular season started that way with Rex at QB there is no way the fans would let up on the guy. From my point of view the QB gets too much credit when things go well and again too much criticsm when they go bad. This decision should light a fire under Rex but also reinforce that the bone head turn overs have got to stop. So ultimatley they are rewarding Kyle for his overall strength of managing the game but he will also be held accountable should he not "manage the game" and makes a habit of committing costly turnovers. So by allowing Kyle to start the season while the OL works out the kinks and gels may actually be more beneficial for Rex with a potential better OL to work with should he have another chance later in the season. So this is not necessary a great opportunity fore Kyle either unless he is able to seize it under almost over whelming odds against him.

The situation the Bears have on "O" is exactly what happens when a team ignores glaring needs over the past several years and does litttle to fix the problems. The recipe for success is quite simple in baseball is Pitching and Defense along with timely hitting can win championships and can Equalize a more talented offense. In football you have to control the line of scrimage, play great defense and make fewer mistakes than your opponent but you also have to excute on "O" which sometimes is just getting firtst downs, keeping the chains moving while mataining enough imagination from a playcalling standpoint to keep the "D" honest while coming up with a few big plays now and then.

I will also support Kyle who also has some good qualites and hopefully he continues to prove Lovie made the right call regardless how those on the outside see it.

I 2nd this post; too bad for Rex because there are many things I like about him. Rex has battled adversity his entire career and I know he will be ready if and when his name is called because he is a real professional, the way he has gone about his business. This decision may have saved Rex's career by not naming him the starter especially with how the Oline played in SEA. Just think if the regular season started that way with Rex at QB there is no way the fans would let up on the guy. From my point of view the QB gets too much credit when things go well and again too much criticsm when they go bad. This decision should light a fire under Rex but also reinforce that the bone head turn overs have got to stop. So ultimatley they are rewarding Kyle for his overall strength of managing the game but he will also be held accountable should he not "manage the game" and makes a habit of committing costly turnovers. So by allowing Kyle to start the season while the OL works out the kinks and gels may actually be more beneficial for Rex with a potential better OL to work with should he have another chance later in the season. So this is not necessary a great opportunity fore Kyle either unless he is able to seize it under almost over whelming odds against him.

The situation the Bears have on "O" is exactly what happens when a team ignores glaring needs over the past several years and does litttle to fix the problems. The recipe for success is quite simple in baseball is Pitching and Defense along with timely hitting can win championships and can Equalize a more talented offense. In football you have to control the line of scrimage, play great defense and make fewer mistakes than your opponent but you also have to excute on "O" which sometimes is just getting firtst downs, keeping the chains moving while mataining enough imagination from a playcalling standpoint to keep the "D" honest while coming up with a few big plays now and then.

I will also support Kyle who also has some good qualites and hopefully he continues to prove Lovie made the right call regardless how those on the outside see it.

Yea, I saw the "Roy" video too. Well I'm guessing that's where you are coming from, because alot of the points you make are ones that he did.

I have to call BS on the whole thing. More Rexcuses was all I saw.

One thing people are forgetting is Orton hasn't always been known as a "Game Manager". In fact, he was more of a gunslinger in college. He came into the NFL and was forced into the starting roll around the third preseason game if I recall. The original plan was for him to be the third QB behind Rex and Hutch. Rex got hurt and Hutch got booed off the team.

When you have a rookie in the NFL that played in a somewhat gimmicky offense in college, you can't just force the whole offense on him when the third game of the preseason comes around. He played in a dumb down offense. Except for the Cincy game, he didn't do much to lose games and the Bears defense got us by.

Orton did more to adapt to what the Bears need to win games in his rookie year then Grossman has going into his 6th year. Since then, Orton has had time to learn the offense and work on his game. I'm not saying that he is going to come out lighting the NFL on fire. I don't know what he is going to do. Could this staff actually develop a QB? Does this offense have weapons? Can the line hold? Did Orton develop? Only time will tell.

He's only played in 3 games last year. The only games he's been in his rookie year. This year he is getting a fresh start. He's should be more prepared then then he had any other years. This one he was in a QB competition, knew in the offseason he was going to be able to compete for the starting job, and should be primed and ready to start the season.

If anything, beating out the guy he's been third string two the last couple years should give him a real boost in confidence.

What do we have to base that he is just a Game Manager on? If you ask me, the ability to manage a game, find your check downs, and so on is a hell of a trait. Peyton Manning can manage a hell of a game. He can do alot more. Now that Orton has that moniker of "Game Manager" he earned as a rookie, we'll be able to see if he can be more. Being smart as a QB is never bad, and if he can find a balance between his rookie "Game Manager" title and his college "gunslinger" title, maybe he can be something good.

Rex was never able to find that balance.

Awwww boohooo poor Rex. Whats with all the poor Rex crap? Saying he didn't get a fair shot at the job?? He's had 4 years of the job being handed to him & couldn't make it his own

I havent heard Rex complain at all. As far as a fair shot, he didnt get one. When he resigned he was told him and Orton would be on a level playing field for the job and that wasnt the case. There isnt anyone to blame but JA though. Lovie couldnt choose Rex, that doesnt make it fair though.

Awwww boohooo poor Rex. Whats with all the poor Rex crap? Saying he didn't get a fair shot at the job?? He's had 4 years of the job being handed to him & couldn't make it his own

Hmm, i haven't heard Rex complain at all. So please STFU.

Keep drinking your Orton kool aid. He'll be done after game 1.

Hmm, i haven't heard Rex complain at all. So please STFU.

Keep drinking your Orton kool aid. He'll be done after game 1.

i never said rex complained. im on about here! never heard such whingin over a mediocre qb bein benched.

As you said, there is no convincing you otherwise, but I would point out that while you are looking at the play in the games, the staff has also seen the QBs every day in practice, and that also factors. I was not at any of the practices, but most articles I read gave Orton a slight nod over Rex from the standpoint of practices.

So to me, I would say it is quite possible both were giving an open competition, but the staff felt Orton had a slight edge through practice, and Rex didn't do enough in the two games to alter that edge. Through the games, Orton may not have outplayed Rex, but at the same time, if he had an edge, he didn't have to.

Use a boxing analogy. Going into the final round, one boxer is ahead in point. The other boxer knows he needs a knockout to win the fight, but fails to get it, and thus loses. Entering that same round, the boxer ahead in points knows all he has to do is not lose the fight (get knocked out) to win the fight. Orton may not have been that good in the games, but he wasn't that bad either, so he didn't do anything to lose the job. Rex needed to do more w/ the snaps he was giving in the games, and couldn't.

Frankly, I think the decision was all but made after the 1st game. Rex got to play against the 2nd string of a questionable defense, and didn't do much. I think that was the opportunity he really failed. If Rex came in and lit up KCs 2nd string, I think he would have taken the lead in the competition, but he didn't.