this is depressing

butkusrules

year after year after year after year- incompetent offense. Its so damn depressing. Then this year I watch some of the preseason games and the defense looks like crap, and with this draft it looks like the management blows. The only bright spot is special teams and that's even in jeopardy becuase they are trying to make a HOF return man a wider reciever because they are too imcompetent to draft and bring one along.

I feel your pain...

However, while I think this season will be hard...There are cetainly some bright spots for the upcoming seasons. I just hope we can get something going on O, and become more adaptable on D.

year after year after year after year- incompetent offense. Its so damn depressing. Then this year I watch some of the preseason games and the defense looks like crap, and with this draft it looks like the management blows. The only bright spot is special teams and that's even in jeopardy becuase they are trying to make a HOF return man a wider reciever because they are too imcompetent to draft and bring one along.

Guest TerraTor
I feel your pain...

However, while I think this season will be hard...There are cetainly some bright spots for the upcoming seasons. I just hope we can get something going on O, and become more adaptable on D.

Its like a constant nickel and dime attempt to fill roster positions.. its a friggin joke

6 wins at the most this year is what I see. God I hope I am eating crow by season's end but seriously guy's, we just don't look that good. Tonight the O looks ok but guy's seriously this is the 4 win niners from 07, I would hope we can score against them. What scares me is the way the D is getting taking to the wood shed tonight and this is the strength of our team, this will be a long year definitely see a top 10 pick in 09.

6 wins at the most this year is what I see. God I hope I am eating crow by season's end but seriously guy's, we just don't look that good. Tonight the O looks ok but guy's seriously this is the 4 win niners from 07, I would hope we can score against them. What scares me is the way the D is getting taking to the wood shed tonight and this is the strength of our team, this will be a long year definitely see a top 10 pick in 09.

what's going to suck is losing to the packers. Kinda forgot what that was like.

this defense is built on pressure from teh front four...specifically we need our DEs to wreck havoc and not let the qb get comftorable....if the qb has time, almost any qb can pick apart the cover 2....unfortunately alex brown and ogunleye are past their primes...bazuin was a huge bust...i hope mark anderson can step up this year...the DEs HAVE to get to the qb

28th ranked defense in the NFL last year. Injuries be damned, people can't ignore the fact that it hasn't just been the pre-season where this D has played like piss. Its been an on-going trend for a while.

28th ranked defense in the NFL last year. Injuries be damned, people can't ignore the fact that it hasn't just been the pre-season where this D has played like piss. Its been an on-going trend for a while.

Several defensive players got paid the past 2 yrs. They better step it up.

Peace :dabears

Yeah, I honestly couldn't be happier with the O's performance tonight. It all really clicked. The D just looked awful... I hope it's "just pre-season"...but dang if the firing of Chico and promotion of Babich just leaves me concerned.

Other than the goal line stand, the D was hideous. Tillman especially got worked like a fool.

Nothing good to say about our D at all, from first string all the way down to the cutdown players. Oline was solid on pass protection but rarely opened a hole to run through. I'm surprised to say this but Orton was the bright spot today.

Just to go one better, Babich is largely a Lovie clone, running Lovie's system. Rivera was run out of town, IMHO, because he didn't run Lovie's system as much as Lovie wanted. He was use the cover two, but also used other defenses and styles. A great example might be the NO playoff game our SB season. In that game, we didn't run the cover two. We didn't play zone. We played man coverage, and shut NO down. I read many times how NO was stunned by the defense we ran, as they geared the plan to attack the cover two. When we went w/ man, they were baffled and never recovered.

If Rivera wasn't the DC, does anyone think we would have played man coverage or gone away from the cover two?

It really scares me that Babich is the problem...

True enough...

Just to go one better, Babich is largely a Lovie clone, running Lovie's system. Rivera was run out of town, IMHO, because he didn't run Lovie's system as much as Lovie wanted. He was use the cover two, but also used other defenses and styles. A great example might be the NO playoff game our SB season. In that game, we didn't run the cover two. We didn't play zone. We played man coverage, and shut NO down. I read many times how NO was stunned by the defense we ran, as they geared the plan to attack the cover two. When we went w/ man, they were baffled and never recovered.

If Rivera wasn't the DC, does anyone think we would have played man coverage or gone away from the cover two?

name='nfoligno' date='Aug 21 2008, 11:13 PM' post='44721']

Thank you for saying it for me! Babich is attached to Lovie's sack and everyone knows it. You know, I'm sitting there watching the game and thinking to myself. "Is the D playing this vanilla because our coaches don't want the Colts to see anything to be fearful of in the opener?" "They can't be sandbagging, can they?" Then I thought of our coaching staff and said, "they don't have the savvy to pull a stunt like that." Then I thought of some of the uninspired performances our D turned in last year. In a nutshell, regardless of scheme and pre-season, there was no sense of urgency / intensity with this defense. My only hope is that someone steps up in the locker room and calls it what it is.

I agree. Theres no reason anyone should panic about our defense until we see them get lit up in a game that matters. If anyone thinks the games we are going to be in are going to be shootouts like last night should wait till the season before declaring the defense bad.

For however long the defense remains healthy they will be dominant.