Always tell the truth

Connorbear

Why did the Bears front office lie about this instead of telling the truth from the beginning. This actually makes the situation look worse. I would love to hear Angelo's explanation of this.

Peace :dabears

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...s082408.article

why the hell did JA draft this guy with the 14th pick then...WTF. This is the worst signning and JA needs to be on the hot seat now. Pathetic!

why the hell did JA draft this guy with the 14th pick then...WTF. This is the worst signning and JA needs to be on the hot seat now. Pathetic!

I can't speak for JA but I know these players go through extensive analysis. He had to be told that the injury was of minimal risk by the medical team. As with all draft picks, we need to give 2 to 3 yrs before actually judging. If Williams is not contributing by the end of next yr.

My criticism would again be why lie? It simply looks worse now that we have found out they lied. Once you know you cannot trust the organization, you stop believing anything they say.

Peace :dabears

I have always gave Angelo the benefit of the doubt and have defended him in a lot of cases, but this is freakin pitiful. I wouldn't be surprised to see Williams take the same route as Colombu, except that Williams will never catch on with another team... Back injuries stay with you for your whole life. Look at Joe Crede right now.

freakin boneheaded move. We could have Branden Albert right now too...

I have always gave Angelo the benefit of the doubt and have defended him in a lot of cases, but this is freakin pitiful. I wouldn't be surprised to see Williams take the same route as Colombu, except that Williams will never catch on with another team... Back injuries stay with you for your whole life. Look at Joe Crede right now.

Joe Crede the All Star?

just kidding, I know what you mean.

Why did the Bears front office lie about this instead of telling the truth from the beginning. This actually makes the situation look worse. I would love to hear Angelo's explanation of this.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...s082408.article

People seem to be missing these key parts of the story:

"It wasn't affecting me so if nothing is broke, you don't fix it."

He first learned he had a herniated disc "probably three, four years ago."

So, he had an injury and played with it, not missing time, for YEARS. I'm sorry, our GM is named Angelo, not God.

Like you Connor, my only question on this is why they tried to spin it.

I don't care if he had been playing with it his whole life pain free... I still wouldn't have touched him with a ten foot pole. Taking someone that high who does have back concerns is quite simply stupid, even if he was "healthy."

I don't care if he had been playing with it his whole life pain free... I still wouldn't have touched him with a ten foot pole. Taking someone that high who does have back concerns is quite simply stupid, even if he was "healthy."

This sounds good when preaching on the internet but ain't how things work in the real world. And, I'll add, if his back is made 100% by this operation and he turns out to be our LT for the next 8 years, how foolish will shortsighted internet fans look? The guy was the last LT on the board. Period. He'd been playing with it at a level that warranted his being a first round pick.

I still think Jerry owed everyone the truth from the beginning.

Yes, they all go through extensive analysis, but at the same time, it was w/ this that several teams reportedly took him off their draft boards due to such injury concerns.

So I don't think we can so easily write it off saying he went through all the exams. All teams put him through the same exams, and likely had the same reports. I suspect that at the end of the day, some teams felt the risk was too great, but others (like us) thought it minimal.

Think about Grarza. No ACL. Some teams wouldn't touch him. We took a chance, and it paid off.

Problem is, Garza was a low risk, as he was a cheap FA. Williams was a 1st round pick. Risk is much greater.

Like you Connor, my only question on this is why they tried to spin it.

Hey, your a political guy. You know the answer already. You spin to cover lies and deception.

Angelo is not God. Agreed. Yea, I get the point. Angelo couldn't have known the injury would come up. That's what your saying, right? But other GMs felt the risk was too great, and took Williams off their boards. So it isn't a God thing, but simply a gambler thing. Medical Red Flag came up. Angelo felt the risk was minimal, and I am more than sure he wasn't alone. Yet others felt the risk was great enough not to chance a 1st round pick, and thus took him off their boards.

And then the rumors surfaced about the injury issues. No way we are going to admit we took an injury risk in the 1st round, so instant spin. And then after the injury, spin was in full force.

I heard the Bears asked George Bush for some help spinning this to avoid public scrutiny. Bush asked if we wanted him to declare war on Canada to spin everyones attention into another direction. Angelo told him thanks, but bear fans really wouldn't care if we were at war w/ Canada, and that wouldn't be enough to spin the story from bear fans.

In the situation where the Bears were in, could they afford to do this? I don't think so. There were many other options at #14. Chances are, if other teams didn't even have him on their board, he probably could've been had later in the 1st. You don't waste a #14 pick on someone with a pre-existing injury.

Yep. Risk/Reward. Moss slipped to 20th. Happens every year. People take chances on character issues, health concerns, signability, etc.

No argument. Some might easily argue we took a risk w/ Urlacher, as he was considered a "tweener". A player w/o a position. Kearse was the same.

Angelo has taken risks in the past, on character and "tweeners" alike.

But w/ a top 15 1st round pick, back injury red flag for a LT, even if the liklihood of the injury coming up is lower, simply feels a bit too much.

Sadly, not enough of the country seems to care that we're at war in Iraq.

But we aren't. We won the war years ago. I heard Bush say so.

Okay, that is probably where this needs to end, or this is really going to go off into a direction that doesn't belong around here.

Isn't he injured right now as well?

We could have traded our 1st and 3rd (Williams and Bennett) to a team and gotten Mendenhall (I'm well aware of his 2 fumbles yesterday). That way, we could have taken a QB with our 2nd, like Brohm.

We could have traded our 1st and 3rd (Williams and Bennett) to a team and gotten Mendenhall (I'm well aware of his 2 fumbles yesterday). That way, we could have taken a QB with our 2nd, like Brohm.

Albert has a minor injury. The legit type players suffer during camp that has nothing to do w/ previous red flags. And, while I am not positive, I don't think it's a 1/2 year injury.

So, he had an injury and played with it, not missing time, for YEARS. I'm sorry, our GM is named Angelo, not God.
Somewhere between Angelo and God, there are GM's out there that took Williams off the board. Not picking on you, but you fail to see the point. Back injuries are chronic in nature and very hard to keep from re-occurring. Especially herniations, as they do not heal themselves.

Who is looking like shit in Green Bay right now. :)

I'm not being a smartass, just trying to point out what a crapshoot all of this is.

Somewhere between Angelo and God, there are GM's out there that took Williams off the board. Not picking on you, but you fail to see the point. Back injuries are chronic in nature and very hard to keep from re-occurring. Especially herniations, as they do not heal themselves.

Every one of them has taken a risk. And every one of them has busts of their own. (Even though clearly Williams is far from a bust at this point.)

All the articles I'm reading about the back situation is he's ahead of schedule. I'm not a doctor. He played on this "chronic" back problem for 4 years and kicked major ass doing so... How good can the guy be with it repaired?

Of course, he and the Bears could be lying about his recovery too. I know there are members here who will always take the side that allows them to rip Jerry or the Bears in general. Not saying you're one of them, Mongo. Just don't know what to say to all the negativity around here anymore.

Every one of them has taken a risk. And every one of them has busts of their own. (Even though clearly Williams is far from a bust at this point.)

All the articles I'm reading about the back situation is he's ahead of schedule. I'm not a doctor. He played on this "chronic" back problem for 4 years and kicked major ass doing so... How good can the guy be with it repaired?

Of course, he and the Bears could be lying about his recovery too. I know there are members here who will always take the side that allows them to rip Jerry or the Bears in general. Not saying you're one of them, Mongo. Just don't know what to say to all the negativity around here anymore.

I personally can not understand all of the criticism JA is getting. I think he is doing all he can to give us the best chance of winning. Does he do everything everyone on the forum wants, no. Does he do everything I would like to see him do? Of course not. However, I think he is doing his best to give us the "edge".

Fans will always look to disagree with management when things are not so rosy. It is far easier to point out mistakes made in the past than successes. All GMs make mistakes in draft selections and personnel moves. This is not an exact science. In many cases it is a matter of the "best educated guess".

Any time I begin to second guess JA I remind myself what it was like before we had him as our GM and "Mikey" was running the show. With that bit of flashback, I thank (insert who every you pray to, if you do so) that we have JA as our GM. (Trying like h*ll to be politically correct LOL).