Many calling this Bear year a bust

GrizzlyBear

If it is a bust what happens to the coaching staff? Lets say Lovie is fired then who we go after? My money is on Sumari Mike. He has the credentials now and has such a legacy to Chicago it would only make sense. Much Like Ditka before him. Then his staff Would be interesting as well. Maybe leslie Frazier as D coord. Keep Toub for sure. But who would he have as a offensive Coord? Any thoughts?

Not that I am giving up this year, its just a little forsight to what might happen is all.

This is all pre-season speculation....but given your statment of "what if"...

I'd say you're probably right about Singletary. He's a rising star in coaching and would be a media darling pick. It's just warm fuzzies for fans and buys managment some goodwill. He's done a good job with the LB corps in SF, but overall the SF D isn't so good. I'd like to see how they do this season. Also, I think Singletary can be had fairly cheaply compared to other big name splashes. I personally want Cowher, but fear the Bears wouldn't want to pay for him.

I could also see Les Frazier as well for many of the same reasons...

I think filling out the coordinators would be harder to determine as many may be vying for HC spots.

If it is a bust what happens to the coaching staff? Lets say Lovie is fired then who we go after? My money is on Sumari Mike. He has the credentials now and has such a legacy to Chicago it would only make sense. Much Like Ditka before him. Then his staff Would be interesting as well. Maybe leslie Frazier as D coord. Keep Toub for sure. But who would he have as a offensive Coord? Any thoughts?

Not that I am giving up this year, its just a little forsight to what might happen is all.

I agree, it's too early to speculate. But, I'll play too. I want Cowher. IMO - we still are in the window of opportunity and he's the best out there. Could you imagine spit flying off the chin during an inclimate home game. God forbid, that would be better than Ditka! I just love that guy. Definately worth 8-10 million to pull him out of retirement.

Yeah. He's got the background to garnish respect immediately. The guy had his teams in the playoffs virtually every year. And even went deep with real garbage at QB! Can the McCaskey's just sell to Cuban as well? Just think what that guy would do?

I agree, it's too early to speculate. But, I'll play too. I want Cowher. IMO - we still are in the window of opportunity and he's the best out there. Could you imagine spit flying off the chin during an inclimate home game. God forbid, that would be better than Ditka! I just love that guy. Definately worth 8-10 million to pull him out of retirement.

Its way too early and it would never happen, but if we could somehow land Cowher I would be ecstatic. He would bring the type of attitude this team needs.

No question that Cowher would be my top pick. Singletary has no experience and I don't want another first time HC guy. I don't care if it's Singletary, Butkus, sayers or Walter Payton. There is no Bear history that matters enough to me to want another first time HC.

As soon as I saw the question, I had the same response: NO FIRST TIME HEAD/OFFENSIVE COACHESOR COORDINATORS for our team. I'd rather have a retread.

Cowher would be top choice of course.

As soon as I saw the question, I had the same response: NO FIRST TIME HEAD/OFFENSIVE COACHESOR COORDINATORS for our team. I'd rather have a retread.

Cowher would be top choice of course.

Actually Singletary is the Assistant HC with the 49ers and he also was in Baltimore. I would not count that a totaly new HC. Cowher would be outstanding , but he favors a 3-4 def. and figure that would play a huge role in his selection to the Bears.

i agree 1000% Cowher would be a great choice. someone with some fire

Not really sure why this year is a bust since it hasn't really happened yet. Sure I know there are some things that need fixing, but I really feel that more of the asst's need to be replaced rather than Lovie. Besides Lovie, who in recent memory has taken the Bears to the Super Bowl? Unless you go back 22 years he would be it. Noone else has gotten close...save Dick Jauron (and look how things are going in Buffalo by the way). Chill out with the "axe Lovie" talk for now.

Maybe he could talk to someone like Singletary to come to Chicago to take over the Defensive Coordinator job. I would be all for seeing Babich go away. The real problem with the team appears to be the Off Coordinator (Turner). Something I have noticed in recent years, it doesn't matter who is running the ball they all seem to do the same thing. Run into the back of the OLine then fall (or in Jones' case) reverse course and go around the mass.

Benson - 2 / 3 steps then stop.

Peterson - 2 / 3 steps then because he has a huge heart run a few more steps with people hanging on

Jones - 2 / 3 steps then run around the pile

Forte - 2 / 3 steps and 50% of the time, keep going.

This is a product of an Offensive scheme gone awry. We all know/knew that Lovie is a Defensive mind (much like Fisher and Cowher for that matter). So why not go out and look for that up and comer that knows the Offensive game? Maybe a college head coach like Mike Leach (of Texas Tech) or Tommy Tuberville (of Auburn)?

Let's not all jump off the Lovie bandwagon at once. Who knows, maybe he will manage to get to the playoffs regardless of the help he has? Guess we should let them first play the 16 scheduled games before we call it a loss.

name='Alaskan Grizzly' date='Aug 27 2008, 01:01 AM' post='45135']

Not really sure why this year is a bust since it hasn't really happened yet. Sure I know there are some things that need fixing, but I really feel that more of the asst's need to be replaced rather than Lovie. Besides Lovie, who in recent memory has taken the Bears to the Super Bowl? Unless you go back 22 years he would be it. Noone else has gotten close...save Dick Jauron (and look how things are going in Buffalo by the way). Chill out with the "axe Lovie" talk for now.

Gotta disagree here. Lovie is fair game for us to praise and criticize all season long. IMO - this is a huge year for him and JA. So many GM's, coaches and players have ridden the coattails of a Super Bowl into oblivion. Lovie got a big star for taking us to the SB. He also got a big frowny face for last years debacle. Despite the injuries, much of the performances last year lacked inspiration / heart. This year is a make or break IMO. He gets no slack, as his buzz has worn off with me. Trust me, I am very receptive to Lovie winning me over this year. Playoffs or bust!

SUPER Amen to that!

I love Fisher on so many levels of coaching and links to our past...

But, I don't see him leaving TEN. But, if he does, man I'd like to see him coach us!

I personally would like to bing in a different former Bear but there is little chance he would be available -- Jeff Fisher - Titans HC.

Gotta disagree here. Lovie is fair game for us to praise and criticize all season long. IMO - this is a huge year for him and JA. So many GM's, coaches and players have ridden the coattails of a Super Bowl into oblivion. Lovie got a big star for taking us to the SB. He also got a big frowny face for last years debacle. Despite the injuries, much of the performances last year lacked inspiration / heart. This year is a make or break IMO. He gets no slack, as his buzz has worn off with me. Trust me, I am very receptive to Lovie winning me over this year. Playoffs or bust!

I think the disagreement is in regards to whether this season is a bust. I disagree on the part that since the season hasn't started at least give him a chance to see what he can do, as the Head Coach, then reassess. I still think giving him the opportunity to fix the coaching staff, rather than start all over, is more the approach that should be taken.

As far as being able to praise or criticize him, sure you bet that is your right. Just like politicians. He is a public figure expected to receive criticism and praise alike. I just think it VERY premature to drop the axe.

Since Cowher has been mentioned, there are comparisons that can be made. So far, as of today and the season not starting yet, Lovie has not had more than one consecutive losing season during his tenure. Cowher had two losing seasons back to back in 98 and 99. And even though he was able to get back to the winning ways in 2000, the Steelers didn't make the playoffs that year. Imagine if the folks in Pittsburgh (or Steeler followers) wanted to see Cowher go after that second losing season would have become? They may have never made the Super Bowl in 2005? Which, I might add was his only Super Bowl win...10 years after losing his first Super Bowl.

By the by, Fisher has only been to one Super Bowl too...which they lost.

610x.jpg

IN LOVIE WE SHOULD TRUST...

name='Alaskan Grizzly' date='Aug 28 2008, 02:40 AM' post='45220']

I think the disagreement is in regards to whether this season is a bust. I disagree on the part that since the season hasn't started at least give him a chance to see what he can do, as the Head Coach, then reassess. I still think giving him the opportunity to fix the coaching staff, rather than start all over, is more the approach that should be taken.

The post was regarding whether Williams is a bust, not the season. But, I'll take this opportunity to disagree with the Lovie fix the staff statement. This will be the 2nd straight year that Lovie has had all of HIScoaches in place. If it is broken, it is because HEbroke it. Remember, we were supposed to be the team that could win despite it's QB last year and went 7-9 anyway. The injuries did not make the team play heartless/uninspired football. That would be players and poor coaching.

Since Cowher has been mentioned, there are comparisons that can be made. So far, as of today and the season not starting yet, Lovie has not had more than one consecutive losing season during his tenure. Cowher had two losing seasons back to back in 98 and 99. And even though he was able to get back to the winning ways in 2000, the Steelers didn't make the playoffs that year. Imagine if the folks in Pittsburgh (or Steeler followers) wanted to see Cowher go after that second losing season would have become? They may have never made the Super Bowl in 2005? Which, I might add was his only Super Bowl win...10 years after losing his first Super Bowl.

Disagree on Cowher. His 98-99 teams were not supposed to be bulletproof and NOT coming off a SuperBowl appearance to which we supposedly added more talent to an already good defense.

Lovie does not deserve to be fired at any time during the season, but he has both built and staffed the ship along with JA. If we sink, he goes down with the ship.

:dabears

name='Alaskan Grizzly' date='Aug 28 2008, 02:40 AM' post='45220']

The post was regarding whether Williams is a bust, not the season. But, I'll take this opportunity to disagree with the Lovie fix the staff statement. This will be the 2nd straight year that Lovie has had all of HIScoaches in place. If it is broken, it is because HEbroke it. Remember, we were supposed to be the team that could win despite it's QB last year and went 7-9 anyway. The injuries did not make the team play heartless/uninspired football. That would be players and poor coaching.

Disagree on Cowher. His 98-99 teams were not supposed to be bulletproof and NOT coming off a SuperBowl appearance to which we supposedly added more talent to an already good defense.

Lovie does not deserve to be fired at any time during the season, but he has both built and staffed the ship along with JA. If we sink, he goes down with the ship.

I do follow your logic.

But overall, it not just the losing season...it's "how". Sure Cowher had 2 losing seasons. But only after having 6 straight winning ones (11-5, 9-7, 12-4, 11-5, 10-6, and 11-5). I think that gets him a little more wiggle room than most others. Getting back to the "how"...even in those bad years, his teams were playing hard and strong. And from the best of my recolection, he made halftime adjustments. I did not see that happen last year. And, even in our good year with Lovie, I did not see any half time adjustments. He appears to go into a game with a plan ...and damn the torpedoes...that's the plan doggonit!

Fisher has only has his team in the playoff 5 or 13 years. About 40% Lovie has had the Bears in 2 of 4 years. If he has another, he'll be right at about 40% as well. People bring up Fisher for the obvious reason, he was a former Bear. But also, because he has a fire and respect of his players. Given that we just got over Jauronamatron...and now Lovie...it's almost as though the city has been lulled to sleep and are yearning for some energy. The grass is always greener...

I just think many of the moves he's made on the roster and staff, his lack of adaptability, his steadfastness to cover-2, the abundance of penalties, and poor mechanics (QB, tackiling,etc) put him in question. If we see more of the same, many will be calmmoring for an ousting.

Could the success of the past few years, especially given the dominance of the D really be a good hangover from Jauron? No one talks about how great Siefert is. He inherited a SF team that cake-walked into trophies. I don't really think so...but it is an intriguing question.

Injuries or not, our fall from grace was about as hard and as painful as I've ever seen for any team.

As far as being able to praise or criticize him, sure you bet that is your right. Just like politicians. He is a public figure expected to receive criticism and praise alike. I just think it VERY premature to drop the axe.

By the by, Fisher has only been to one Super Bowl too...which they lost.

610x.jpg

IN LOVIE WE SHOULD TRUST...

I realize this is more of a "Who would you like to coach the Bears if Lovie is no longer the coach" theoretical exercise, but Lovie will be around for the 2009 and 2010 seasons as well. Lovie signed a deal worth $5 mil per year that runs through 2011. There is no way he's gone any sooner than 1 year remaining on his deal.

:dabears The post was regarding whether Williams is a bust, not the season. But, I'll take this opportunity to disagree with the Lovie fix the staff statement. This will be the 2nd straight year that Lovie has had all of HIScoaches in place. If it is broken, it is because HEbroke it. Remember, we were supposed to be the team that could win despite it's QB last year and went 7-9 anyway. The injuries did not make the team play heartless/uninspired football. That would be players and poor coaching.

1564.gif

"Playoffs...wait, did he say Williams? Who the heck is Williams?"

I don't know how Williams came into the discussion at all. The season was the reason for the title of the beginning thread on this one. Hence "Many calling this year a bust". And as I said before, the disagreement is about whether the season is already lost because of the lackluster play during preseason. I'm saying at the very least let the season play out, all 16 games, then talk about what major changes need to be done. What are you gonna do get a new coach next year then if he doesn't immediately take the team to the playoffs ask for him to leave? I mean really the Bears are only (so far) one season removed from the Super Bowl.

....as I said before, the disagreement is about whether the season is already lost because of the lackluster play during preseason. I'm saying at the very least let the season play out, all 16 games, then talk about what major changes need to be done. What are you gonna do get a new coach next year then if he doesn't immediately take the team to the playoffs ask for him to leave? I mean really the Bears are only (so far) one season removed from the Super Bowl.

I agree, I do not think I am going to give up the ship just because of the preseason. Every HC approaches preseason games differently. Some will risk injuries to key players just to have an impressive preseason record. Some will play starters too much instead of giving players "on the bubble" an audition. I think Lovie looks at the preseason as a time to experiment and look at marginal players, and at most, keep his core players healthy. Injury wise, we have had an excellent preseason. We enter the season as healthy as we have in many years. I expect good things from this team.