Bears Mock

ASHKUM BEAR

With two games down, the Bears future needs may have shifted a little. Brandon McGowan once again went down and the Bears must plan to go on with out him, so finding another S has shifted up on the Bears big board. As the world knows, the Bears also need to find a QB that won't just be counted on to be a game manager, but can be relied upon to give them a chance to win a game also. The Bears also need to continue rebuilding the OL and should look at Tampa/Carolina as a model.

I have the Bears picking 17th after this week:

RD1-17 Duke Robinson G Oklahoma 6-5 330 JA struggled on making this pick b/c he likes his pick Beekman and FA pickup Bruenning, but Robinson is a probowl type player and will make Forte even better which will help Chicago fans forget about draft picks like Benson.

RD2-49 Curtis Painter QB Purdue 6-4 223 Painter will learn under former Purdue alum Kyle Orton even though he will break Purdues passing stats which were held by Drew Brees and Orton. Painter will finally silent the Bears critics as he has all the tools to become a franchise QB. He has a very quick release, strong arm with accuracy, and great size. His play has been compared to Cowboys QB Tony Romo.

RD3-81 Phil Loadholt RT Oklahoma 6-8 350 Another Oklahoma Sooner making his home in Chicago. Loadholt is a mammoth run blocker and will help JA solidify the OL for years to come.

RD3-99 (comp) Emmanuel Cook S South Carolina 5-10 214 The Bears like the fiesty S and compare him to Indy's Bob Sanders. With McGowan/Brown's contract expiring they will most likely make an offer to keep Brown. Thus leaving them with for sures Payne and Steltz, and maybe Brown.

RD4-124 Oderick Turner WR Pit 6-3 200 Turner is a big, fast WR that was very effective his freshman year when Pit had an actual QB(Tyler Palko). Coming out of Pit, he had to live up to Larry Fitzgerald, which he will never accomplish, but he does have more speed, the same height, and 25 fewer pounds. If he could have only had Palko every year like Fitzgerald had, Turner may of been considered a first RD talent.

RD5-137 Brannan Southerland FB Georgia 6-0 240 Southerland can do it all. Block, run, and catch which the Bears look for in there FB's. Southerland will be an upgrade over McKie and will also be another key blocker for Forte.

RD6-170 Jasper Brinkley ILB South Carolina 6-2 257 Brinkley has loads of talent, but an injury to his knee dropped him down most draft boards. The Bears love to pick these types of players up especially if they already have quality at the position. Brinkley w/ 4.5 speed will be a nice backup until Urlacher decides to retire.

RD7-233 Willie VanDeSteeg DE Minnesota 6-4 255 Another Bear gamble as Slick Willie has a criminal record and injury history, but has loads of talent at rushing the passer. The Bears take a gamble on Willie to see how serious he is about a career in the NFL.

Unless this OG can play OT its not likely he would go that early in the first round.Usually the hot shot guards and centers go towards the end of the first round and into the second and 3rd round.I could see a scenario where they would trade back to get your player since JA likes doing that anyway.Now if there is a stud safety like Cheung of Oregon there at 17 I could see them pulling the trigger on that. I could even see them taking another OT also.

With two games down, the Bears future needs may have shifted a little. Brandon McGowan once again went down and the Bears must plan to go on with out him, so finding another S has shifted up on the Bears big board. As the world knows, the Bears also need to find a QB that won't just be counted on to be a game manager, but can be relied upon to give them a chance to win a game also. The Bears also need to continue rebuilding the OL and should look at Tampa/Carolina as a model.

I have the Bears picking 17th after this week:

RD1-17 Duke Robinson G Oklahoma 6-5 330 JA struggled on making this pick b/c he likes his pick Beekman and FA pickup Bruenning, but Robinson is a probowl type player and will make Forte even better which will help Chicago fans forget about draft picks like Benson.

RD2-49 Curtis Painter QB Purdue 6-4 223 Painter will learn under former Purdue alum Kyle Orton even though he will break Purdues passing stats which were held by Drew Brees and Orton. Painter will finally silent the Bears critics as he has all the tools to become a franchise QB. He has a very quick release, strong arm with accuracy, and great size. His play has been compared to Cowboys QB Tony Romo.

RD3-81 Phil Loadholt RT Oklahoma 6-8 350 Another Oklahoma Sooner making his home in Chicago. Loadholt is a mammoth run blocker and will help JA solidify the OL for years to come.

RD3-99 (comp) Emmanuel Cook S South Carolina 5-10 214 The Bears like the fiesty S and compare him to Indy's Bob Sanders. With McGowan/Brown's contract expiring they will most likely make an offer to keep Brown. Thus leaving them with for sures Payne and Steltz, and maybe Brown.

RD4-124 Oderick Turner WR Pit 6-3 200 Turner is a big, fast WR that was very effective his freshman year when Pit had an actual QB(Tyler Palko). Coming out of Pit, he had to live up to Larry Fitzgerald, which he will never accomplish, but he does have more speed, the same height, and 25 fewer pounds. If he could have only had Palko every year like Fitzgerald had, Turner may of been considered a first RD talent.

RD5-137 Brannan Southerland FB Georgia 6-0 240 Southerland can do it all. Block, run, and catch which the Bears look for in there FB's. Southerland will be an upgrade over McKie and will also be another key blocker for Forte.

RD6-170 Jasper Brinkley ILB South Carolina 6-2 257 Brinkley has loads of talent, but an injury to his knee dropped him down most draft boards. The Bears love to pick these types of players up especially if they already have quality at the position. Brinkley w/ 4.5 speed will be a nice backup until Urlacher decides to retire.

RD7-233 Willie VanDeSteeg DE Minnesota 6-4 255 Another Bear gamble as Slick Willie has a criminal record and injury history, but has loads of talent at rushing the passer. The Bears take a gamble on Willie to see how serious he is about a career in the NFL.

NOW YOU'RE TALKING!!!

I like this one a lot.

First four rounds, first four problem areas addressed.

I watched Painter last week and he absolutely sucked. He has no arm strength and was terribly inaccurate. He didn't look very mobile either. Attribute his passing yards to the Joe Tiller system and go find another QB especially if you are going to take one in Rd 2. I'd take Chase Daniel out of Missouri before him. Chase doesn't have all the skills you look for at the next level (i.e. strong arm, height, etc.) but when plays break down he finds a way to extend the play and make good things happen.

I watched Painter last week and he absolutely sucked. He has no arm strength and was terribly inaccurate. He didn't look very mobile either. Attribute his passing yards to the Joe Tiller system and go find another QB especially if you are going to take one in Rd 2. I'd take Chase Daniel out of Missouri before him. Chase doesn't have all the skills you look for at the next level (i.e. strong arm, height, etc.) but when plays break down he finds a way to extend the play and make good things happen.

Screw the 2nd for a QB. Go FA and what you have currently. No need to boow a pick on something we get in FA.

Painter > Daniel

in terms of what they'll do in the pros.

I'd take Nathan Brown over both of them- the only problem is: he's 6'2, 210 and he's from Central Arkansas.

Has there been some disastrous news about Loadholt that I missed? He was considered a high pick if he came out last year (maybe first round, maybe not, but very likely a first or second rounder, certainly top 3). Now the seniors in that group are gone, Bradford is embarrassing opponents, and Loadholt...drops?

In all the mocks I look that, they have him anywhere from pick 22-35, so I doubt he falls into the 3rd, yet alone mid-2nd.

QB is a crapshoot this year unless you pick in the top 5. Matt Stafford is the best hope for a franchise QB in this draft, and he will be gone in the top 5. Tebow, I doubt we want to take the risk with him.

I say we break the bank in the offseason and sign Roy Williams to be our no. 1 WR, and then sign Kurt Warner to compete with Orton as the starter. My offseason plan:

-Sign WR Roy Williams

-Sign QB Kurt Warner

-Re-sign OL John St. Clair and LB Nick Roach

-Let the following go: RB Kevin Jones (wants big payday), QB Rex Grossman, and RT Fred Miller

-Marty Booker and Anthony Adams: possible cap casualties

DRAFT - I see us predicting between 16-22. Because I am an optimistic, I predict us to pick at 22. We get an additional 3rd round compensation pick for Berrian:

1.) OG Duke Robinson, Oklahoma

-We get one of the best young left sides in all of football with Chris Williams at LT and Robinson at LG.

2.) SS Patrick Chung, Oregon

-Somewhat wishful thinking that he'd be here, but I am an optimistic. Chung reminds me a ton of Mike Brown, as he is a leader on the field, and can play the run or the pass.

3.) OT Alex Boone, Ohio St.

-Big mauler who will have to be moved to RT. Eventual replacement for Tait.

3b.) WR Sammie Slaughter, Oregon St.

-Has dropped because of some injury concerns, but I like him as a slot receiver type, and can backup Hester at PR/KR.

4.) RB Tyrell Sutton, Northwestern

-Yes, Matt Forte is our guy at RB, but I am not comfortable with Wolfe and Peterson as his backups if Jones does indeed leave. Sutton is about the same height as Wolfe, but he is bigger and stronger. Sutton, I think, could become a Brian Westbrook-light type of player. He has his own injury concerns, but he is as tough as a runner as you get.

5.) FB Brannan Southerland, Georgia

-I'm getting sick of seeing McKie out there. Just watch this video of him, and you will want him as well:

6 & 7) BPA

PROJECTED STARTING OFFENSE (D and ST stay pretty much the same)

WR - Roy Williams

TE - Dez Clark

RT - John Tait

RG - Garza/Beekman/Buenning

C - Olin Kreutz

LG - Duke Robinson

LT - Chris Williams

QB - Kurt Warner

RB - Matt Forte

FB - Brannan Southerland

QB is a crapshoot this year unless you pick in the top 5. Matt Stafford is the best hope for a franchise QB in this draft, and he will be gone in the top 5. Tebow, I doubt we want to take the risk with him.

I say we break the bank in the offseason and sign Roy Williams to be our no. 1 WR, and then sign Kurt Warner to compete with Orton as the starter. My offseason plan:

-Sign WR Roy Williams

-Sign QB Kurt Warner

-Re-sign OL John St. Clair and LB Nick Roach

-Let the following go: RB Kevin Jones (wants big payday), QB Rex Grossman, and RT Fred Miller

-Marty Booker and Anthony Adams: possible cap casualties

DRAFT - I see us predicting between 16-22. Because I am an optimistic, I predict us to pick at 22. We get an additional 3rd round compensation pick for Berrian:

1.) OG Duke Robinson, Oklahoma

-We get one of the best young left sides in all of football with Chris Williams at LT and Robinson at LG.

2.) SS Patrick Chung, Oregon

-Somewhat wishful thinking that he'd be here, but I am an optimistic. Chung reminds me a ton of Mike Brown, as he is a leader on the field, and can play the run or the pass.

3.) OT Alex Boone, Ohio St.

-Big mauler who will have to be moved to RT. Eventual replacement for Tait.

3b.) WR Sammie Slaughter, Oregon St.

-Has dropped because of some injury concerns, but I like him as a slot receiver type, and can backup Hester at PR/KR.

4.) RB Tyrell Sutton, Northwestern

-Yes, Matt Forte is our guy at RB, but I am not comfortable with Wolfe and Peterson as his backups if Jones does indeed leave. Sutton is about the same height as Wolfe, but he is bigger and stronger. Sutton, I think, could become a Brian Westbrook-light type of player. He has his own injury concerns, but he is as tough as a runner as you get.

5.) FB Brannan Southerland, Georgia

-I'm getting sick of seeing McKie out there. Just watch this video of him, and you will want him as well:

6 & 7) BPA

PROJECTED STARTING OFFENSE (D and ST stay pretty much the same)

WR - Roy Williams

TE - Dez Clark

RT - John Tait

RG - Garza/Beekman/Buenning

C - Olin Kreutz

LG - Duke Robinson

LT - Chris Williams

QB - Kurt Warner

RB - Matt Forte

FB - Brannan Southerland

I would be a huge fan of that offense.

I had no idea Roy Williams was a FA next year. He'd be a perfect fit as the #1 WR we've needed for years now. As for Free Agency, I'd also look at Matt Cassel depending on how he plays the rest of the year. Trading for Brady Quinn has to be explored as well. I was not a Quinn fan at all when he was coming out of college, but with our current situation, every scenario needs to be looked at.

As for the 1st above draft, Loadholt and Brinkley will go higher than you have us taking them. Robinson is a fantastic OG. I love the Southerland pick. And Cook and Turner would be good values in those rounds.

For the fun of it, I guess I'll post my own mock draft that you guys can rip apart, lol. Btw, this is assuming we have a pick in the late teens/early 20s and not accounting for any free agent signing. Just kind of based off our current team...

Round 1 - Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland

Round 2 - Kraig Urbik, OG, Wisconsin

Round 3 - Derek Pegues, S, Mississippi State

Round 3 - Rhett Bomar, QB, Sam Houston State (formerly at Oklahoma)

Round 4 - Ramon Foster, OT, Tennessee

Round 5 - Brennan Southerland, FB, Georgia

Round 6 - Tyrell Sutton, RB, Northwestern

Round 7 - Brandon Pearce, OT, Memphis

I had no idea Roy Williams was a FA next year. He'd be a perfect fit as the #1 WR we've needed for years now. As for Free Agency, I'd also look at Matt Cassel depending on how he plays the rest of the year. Trading for Brady Quinn has to be explored as well. I was not a Quinn fan at all when he was coming out of college, but with our current situation, every scenario needs to be looked at.

As for the 1st above draft, Loadholt and Brinkley will go higher than you have us taking them. Robinson is a fantastic OG. I love the Southerland pick. And Cook and Turner would be good values in those rounds.

For the fun of it, I guess I'll post my own mock draft that you guys can rip apart, lol. Btw, this is assuming we have a pick in the late teens/early 20s and not accounting for any free agent signing. Just kind of based off our current team...

Round 1 - Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland

Round 2 - Kraig Urbik, OG, Wisconsin

Round 3 - Derek Pegues, S, Mississippi State

Round 3 - Rhett Bomar, QB, Sam Houston State (formerly at Oklahoma)

Round 4 - Ramon Foster, OT, Tennessee

Round 5 - Brennan Southerland, FB, Georgia

Round 6 - Tyrell Sutton, RB, Northwestern

Round 7 - Brandon Pearce, OT, Memphis

If the Bears start off with a WR, ANY WR, it will be a horrible beginning to the draft.

But seriously.

1. Mark Sanchez, QB, USC- haven't seen a weakness in him yet.

2. Herman Johnson, OG, LSU- I watched the Auburn game and he looked pretty good out there.

3. Larry English, DE, NIU- rip me all you want, but Ogunleye is aging, Brown did nothing yesterday, and Anderson sucks.

3. Mohamed Massaquoi, WR, Georgia- sturdy, pretty tall yet lanky wide-out.

I really dont want to spend a draft pick on a QB, if the Bears want to bring in a veteran I'd be more than fine with that. If we want to rebuild Id sooner give Hanie a shot than spend a first day draft pick on a QB. If we can upgrade the O-Line through the draft and bring in a guy like Roy Williams as a WR I think that would be enough.

good analysis...

I hope that was simple agreement, and not sarcasm. Because there is absolutely no analysis needed to know that if the Bears draft a WR in the first round next year, it would be an atrocious pick. I honestly question intelligence and football knowledge if you can honestly think that drafting a WR with the Bears pick, and current situation, is a good move.

I hope that was simple agreement, and not sarcasm. Because there is absolutely no analysis needed to know that if the Bears draft a WR in the first round next year, it would be an atrocious pick. I honestly question intelligence and football knowledge if you can honestly think that drafting a WR with the Bears pick, and current situation, is a good move.

The only way that it would be a wise pick (for a WR), is if we signed a young OT like Max Starks and then acquired someone like Jeff Garcia/Derek Anderson/dependable vet. I can see us then using our pick on BPA and if that ends up a WR, than so be it.

But right now, without using FA as a tool, we need to address the oline, safety, and QB positiions.

The only way that it would be a wise pick (for a WR), is if we signed a young OT like Max Starks and then acquired someone like Jeff Garcia/Derek Anderson/dependable vet. I can see us then using our pick on BPA and if that ends up a WR, than so be it.

But right now, without using FA as a tool, we need to address the oline, safety, and QB positiions.

I want Mark Tauscher- FA after the year and will only be 30. He has about 6 good years left in him.

It was sarcasm... You still haven't said why drafting a WR would be bad. I assume it's b/c you'd rather draft an offensive lineman, which I would completely be in favor of if we did. I just don't think the Bears would draft a 1st round OT and go into next year with (essentially) 2 1st time starters at the OT spot. That's why I could see them going OT/OG in Round 2 and again in the 3rd or 4th round, letting those guys develop and giving Tait one more year.

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but the supposedly terrible offensive line is not the reason we've lost a single game this year. They've actually played well.