Rex Grossman

ASHKUM BEAR

I just want to ask your opinion on keeping Rex Grossman.

If JA offered Rex a contract that was set up to pay him as a #2, but with incentives that kick in with meeting certain stats, would you be opposed.

I for one would not be opposed because I think we have our starter and franchise in Kyle Orton. Grossman would be considered a vet, he knows our coaches/system/players, has been very loyal, and has done good things at the helm. With some time on the bench, maybe a light will turn on, kinda like what happened with Orton. Also, I would hate to see him go to MIN and see him flourish with an offense already built and I have his jersey LOL.

Thought this might be a good question to ponder over the bye week and since Orton is performing the need for a top draft QB is not as important. Finding a vet backup is the need IMO.

Rex needs a fresh start and so do we. Go get a vet backup and keep Hanie at 3rd string.

Peace :dabears

There are teams out there desperate for QB help, I wonder if there would be a market for him now. I know it would be a bold move as it would leave us with a rookie at #2 and we would have to bring in a #3, I also would admit the chances of this happening is about as good as me retiring next week, (sigh) but I would think he would be interesting in NE throwing the deep ball to Moss or in DET tossing the ball to C Johnson. Even SF is experiencing a revolving door at starting QB. He would not garner much, but I would like to get something in return for him and I do not see him being resigned at the end of the year unless things fall apart in the Orton camp.

Yea, I think it is time for both the team and Rex to move on.

I'm gonna be Mr. Cautious here and say hold on to him for the season. We aren't even half way through the season yet. And we all know that QBs drop all the time. While I'd like to get some value for Rex, I think it is necessary to havehim there as the backup. Once the season ends, I agree, he's gone.

I think you misunderstood this thread. That or I need to go back and re-read the original post.

The question posed has nothing to do w/ right now, or this season. The question posed was whether it would be a good idea to re-sign Rex next year to be the veteran backup behind Orton, rather than try to find a different veteran in FA.

I'm gonna be Mr. Cautious here and say hold on to him for the season. We aren't even half way through the season yet. And we all know that QBs drop all the time. While I'd like to get some value for Rex, I think it is necessary to havehim there as the backup. Once the season ends, I agree, he's gone.

I like where you're going, but I think now is not the time to get rid of Rex. If Kyle gets injured, we could be in huge trouble without him. We could lways bing in Jeff George again I suppose!

There are teams out there desperate for QB help, I wonder if there would be a market for him now. I know it would be a bold move as it would leave us with a rookie at #2 and we would have to bring in a #3, I also would admit the chances of this happening is about as good as me retiring next week, (sigh) but I would think he would be interesting in NE throwing the deep ball to Moss or in DET tossing the ball to C Johnson. Even SF is experiencing a revolving door at starting QB. He would not garner much, but I would like to get something in return for him and I do not see him being resigned at the end of the year unless things fall apart in the Orton camp.

After this season, assuming it plays out as it has been (ie. Kyle = good, Rex = bench), Rex should be gone.

I just want to ask your opinion on keeping Rex Grossman.

If JA offered Rex a contract that was set up to pay him as a #2, but with incentives that kick in with meeting certain stats, would you be opposed.

I for one would not be opposed because I think we have our starter and franchise in Kyle Orton. Grossman would be considered a vet, he knows our coaches/system/players, has been very loyal, and has done good things at the helm. With some time on the bench, maybe a light will turn on, kinda like what happened with Orton. Also, I would hate to see him go to MIN and see him flourish with an offense already built and I have his jersey LOL.

Thought this might be a good question to ponder over the bye week and since Orton is performing the need for a top draft QB is not as important. Finding a vet backup is the need IMO.

Responding to the OP, and assuming Orton stays healthy and plays good: I would love to see Rex re-signed as the long-term #2. It's going to be hard to find a backup who's as good, IMO. Still, I'm convinced Grossman will want to go to a team that will let him compete for the #1 job, which won't happen in Chicago.

As for trading Rex this year: The trading deadline has passed, so it's not an option.

Spending a draft pick on a QB any higher than the 3rd round (more likely higher than a 4th) isn't going to happen, if the Bears believe Orton is their franchise QB. 1st day draft picks are selected to become starters, not remain backups. JMO

He has turned into a cheap soild #2 that knows our system and players. The fact he is not under the #1 pressure I think helps him as a player as well. Face it.. Its hard to be a starting QB in this town... Some people cant take the pressure but that doesn't mean he is not good. Just not a #1 for this team. I think he is worth the $ @ #2

He has turned into a cheap soild #2 that knows our system and players. The fact he is not under the #1 pressure I think helps him as a player as well. Face it.. Its hard to be a starting QB in this town... Some people cant take the pressure but that doesn't mean he is not good. Just not a #1 for this team. I think he is worth the $ @ #2

He's worth the $ as a #2 for us, but if Orton continues at anywhere near his current pace...there are teams out there that will give him more money to actually challenge for a starting spot.

If he'd continue to sign 1-2 year contracts for #2 starter money then obviously you bring him back because he knows the system and personnel, but I think he's going to want to move on.

The anser is yes, I'd like him as a number 2 for number 2 money. If the rest of the team was ready for a Super Bowl run, it's not guaranteed, but it's likely Rex would be capable of playing well enough to win. Anyone who wants him gone just to close a chapter of QB turbulence in Chicago isn't respecting our team's history of QB injury. But it's moot because he won't stay for #2 and #2 money.

Trade deadline is over.

Peace :dabears

The anser is yes, I'd like him as a number 2 for number 2 money. If the rest of the team was ready for a Super Bowl run, it's not guaranteed, but it's likely Rex would be capable of playing well enough to win. Anyone who wants him gone just to close a chapter of QB turbulence in Chicago isn't respecting our team's history of QB injury. But it's moot because he won't stay for #2 and #2 money.

Thanks for the answer.

That's the reason why I posted the question. It seems maybe 3/5ths are on board to let him walk b/c just seeing his name turns up there body temp. I think we are all on board the Orton bus except for maybe 1, and we all like the potential in Haine. The problem lies in having a third QB as the #2. Half want to draft one and half want a vet and most likely our current #2 will seek a starter role. But will it be like last year, and not a lot of knocks on his door?

Below is a list of FA QB's in no particular order.

Matt Cassel QB NE 26 - not much exp., would be fairly cheap

Kerry Collins QB TEN 35 - a little old, but could hold the fort down

Jeff Garcia QB TB 38 - a little old, but still ticking. Most would approve

Rex Grossman QB CHI 28 - knows the system, may look for starter postion

Byron Leftwich QB PIT 28 - Can't even look decent at PIT, not sure if he lands a job after the year

J.P. Losman QB BUF 27 - may look for starter opportunity, but couldn't cut it in BUF

J.T. O'Sullivan QB SF 29 - Was a 5 minute wonder in TC, but where is he now?

Patrick Ramsey QB DEN 29 - JA has always seemed to like him

Kurt Warner QB ARI 37 - May resign in ARI, if they can afford him (Dansby, Boldin, and other big contract disputes)

Kyle Boller QB BAL - Has had multiple opportunity in BAL, could never take it anywhere

Charlie Batch QB PIT - Age may be an issue, but always does alright when called upon in PIT

I like Garcia,Grossman,Warner, -maybies Ramsey&Losman.

Other NFL teams that will be searching for a #1 QB:

DET - they will draft one RD1/RD2, may look more towards exp. in Warner/Garcia

MIN - should have alot of money, may look to unite Berrian/Grossman. I see Childress wanting Garcia

KC - In rebuild mode, may also draft QB.

SF - w/ Martz at helm as OC, maybe they bring in Warner

Teams that will be in search of a #2 QB

CHI

ARI

BUF

CAR

DEN

I personally wouldn't mind having Rex as our #2 QB but the way he was treated during the preseason means Rex must move on from this organization. He'll never ever get fair treatment from the Bears fans again even if he plays respectably. Plus he'll want a shot at becoming a starter somewhere down the line.

The previous San Fran QB Alex Smith will be available too so add him to the list. I think a teams will look at him as a guy with the tools but not the head for the job, same as Rex except Rex can't run.

Unless he falls apart in the next few weeks Warner is not leaving AZ. Whisenhunt won't mess with success and he'll keep Warner as the starter next year. That means Lienart can party all summer long which makes him a good fit as the #2 QB in AZ unless someone comes calling with a high draft pick (say a late 2nd Rd pick). In that case I'd could see Rex fitting in here as the Cards backup and chance to compete for future starting job (after Warner leaves) throwing the ball to Fitzgerald and Boldin.

I prefer to have a vet like Garcia as our #2 and let Hanie get another year to develop as the #3. Patrick Ramsey looked horrible on Monday night so I have no interest in him and would rather develop a rookie or Hanie as our #2.

He could wind up in Minnesota. One of their receivers worked pretty well with him in the past.

That would be a potentially good spot for him. Grossman should have options. He won't get a starting job handed to him but I won't be at all surprised to see him start a couple seasons in the NFL somewhere else. I would like to keep him as a backup but I anticipate the Bears signing a veteran backup in the off-season to have behind Kyle while Hanie continues to develop. They could draft a QB, but doing so on the first day just wouldn't be wise given the current needs of the franchise.

Grossman would never accept the #2 spot in Chicago, unless there weren't many other options out there (and there should be). This is all based on Kyle continuing to develop.