Orton shuttle pass to Forte

nfoligno

One thought on one play that really stood out to me.

Orton drops back to pass, and is engulfed by a wave of attackers. Long beats St. Clair and reaches, pushing Orton up in the pocket, but that pocket in general is collapsing. I seriously could not even see him, but somehow he gets a little shuttle pass off to Forte. Forte takes it, then has one hell of a (I believe) 7 yard run after the catch, as he breaks tackles and pushes his way forward. After watching this play again on replay, a thought hit me which as much as anything, defines the difference this year from last.

If Rex Grossman and Cedric Benson were in the game, does ANYONE believe we would have walked away w/ the same result?

If that was Rex, he would have been dropped for a sack. Orton simply does a good job of "feeling" the pressure and stepping up in the pocket. Also, once pressured, he keeps his eyes on the field, and continues to look for an "out" which he found in Forte. If Rex were starting, that would simply have been a sack.

But let's say for a moment Rex does step up in the pocket and shuttles it. Who thinks Benson catches the ball? And further still, who thinks Benson breaks tackles to gain solid yardage?

Maybe Orton isn't pro bowl. Maybe Forte isn't pro bold. But how much better this team is w/ them is shocking. Further, it can only excite to think how much better the two can be, and thus how much better the team as a whole can be.

Orton drops back to pass, and is engulfed by a wave of attackers. Long beats St. Clair and reaches, pushing Orton up in the pocket, but that pocket in general is collapsing. I seriously could not even see him, but somehow he gets a little shuttle pass off to Forte. Forte takes it, then has one hell of a (I believe) 7 yard run after the catch, as he breaks tackles and pushes his way forward. After watching this play again on replay, a thought hit me which as much as anything, defines the difference this year from last.

If Rex Grossman and Cedric Benson were in the game, does ANYONE believe we would have walked away w/ the same result?

If that was Rex, he would have been dropped for a sack. Orton simply does a good job of "feeling" the pressure and stepping up in the pocket. Also, once pressured, he keeps his eyes on the field, and continues to look for an "out" which he found in Forte. If Rex were starting, that would simply have been a sack.

But let's say for a moment Rex does step up in the pocket and shuttles it. Who thinks Benson catches the ball? And further still, who thinks Benson breaks tackles to gain solid yardage?

Maybe Orton isn't pro bowl. Maybe Forte isn't pro bold. But how much better this team is w/ them is shocking. Further, it can only excite to think how much better the two can be, and thus how much better the team as a whole can be.

Hater :rolleyes:

Forte should be in the pro bowl at this point in the season...

Tough call. How many RBs go to the pro bowl? 3? That could have Forte as an alternate right now.

Portis - 1,206 yards rushing (nearly 300 more yards than Forte) and nearly 5 ypc avg. In consideration for league MVP. He may not have as many receiving yards (only 22-170) but Portis should be a lock for the pro bowl.

Adrian Peterson - 1,180 rushing, and like Portis, a sick 4.9 ypc avg. AP also has the name/ popularity vote due to his electric play. He is a non-factor as a receiver, but I think his rushing and overall electric style lands him a spot.

Turner - 1,088 yards rushing, though virtually no receiving. Still, 13 rushing TDs, double Forte. Also, I think Turner gets credit for the overall success story of the Atlanta franchise.

Forte is 4th in the NFL in rushing (908) but adds 45-336-3 receiving, which puts his overall numbers w/ the leaders. Gets extra credit for being a rookie, running behind a less than great OL, and what was considered an "game manager" at QB. But also loses votes due to not being a household name. Until this game, I would have ranked Forte's chances lower due to a weak ypc avg, but now that it sits at 4 ypc, I think his name is absolutely in there.

Others who could get consideration.

Frank Gore - 860 rushing and 331 receiving. Bright spark on a bad team.

Jacobs - 880 rushing, but virtually no receiving. But 11 scores and a whopping 5.4 ypc average, not to mention playing for one of the elite teams could garner consideration.

Barber - 840 & 350. Only RB w/ comparable receiving numbers to Forte, both in catches and yards. In fact, when looking at the numbers, the two are near identical down the board.

D.Williams is up there in numbers too, but as he is part of a RBBC, I think his numbers would have to be more overwhelming.

Right now, I think Forte would be an alternate. If he continues to play great, that could change. No question he is a sucess story, but Portis, AP and Turner are having great years too.

What could also be interesting is the offensive ROY vote. I think Forte has passed Chris Johnson, who has slipped in the last few weeks, but could still be behind Ryan. While I think Forte has been a better rookie RB than Ryan has as a rookie QB, the reality is, it is much tougher to start as a rookie at QB, and I think he gets a big boost for that.

Final thought. Whether or not he is ROY means little. Remember. A-Train was the offensive ROY, and where did that lead?

Forte should be in the pro bowl at this point in the season...

Definite improvement at both positions. Forte has the desire and the ability, it seems, to potentially be another solid (great?) RB in the pantheon of Bear RBs. And Orton is showing that he has learmed some things and has the desire to be a solid NFL QB.

Definite improvement at both positions. Forte has the desire and the ability, it seems, to potentially be another solid (great?) RB in the pantheon of Bear RBs. And Orton is showing that he has learmed some things and has the desire to be a solid NFL QB.

I thought Kyle would never be more than a game manager but I think he could be much more. Never an all pro but very good. They need to get him a #1 receiver. Hester will never be more than a good #2. Davis a #4. Booker and Lloyd can both go.

Peace :dabears

Damnit, we could have gotten Rashard Mendenhall

Wow. Whats up? Are you representing the thread police today?

I mentioned a particular play, and how it was a great example of the difference between this year and last. So what is the big deal.

You don't have an opinion on the thread, move on.

What is the point of this thread?

I assume this is in response to me? I mentioned Barber as a pro bowl candidate. In fact, if you look at the numbers, his may be the most similar to Forte in terms of rushing/ypc/receptions/receiving yards/total tds.

Barber plays for the cowgirls, which gives him a boost, but I just don't think his numbers are high enough. I think many fans first look is simply rushing yards, and Barber is 8th in the NFC. So, asside from Cowgirl fans, I am not sure that many will be voting for Barber.

What about Marion Barber?

I assume this is in response to me? I mentioned Barber as a pro bowl candidate. In fact, if you look at the numbers, his may be the most similar to Forte in terms of rushing/ypc/receptions/receiving yards/total tds.

Barber plays for the cowgirls, which gives him a boost, but I just don't think his numbers are high enough. I think many fans first look is simply rushing yards, and Barber is 8th in the NFC. So, asside from Cowgirl fans, I am not sure that many will be voting for Barber.

No, it wasn't a reponse to you. I was just saying "Do you guys think he should get in?", because like you said, he's having a year comparable to Forte, but like you said, he plays for Dallas so he'll probably get in.

Hey, I don't think he does get in.

He has similar numbers to Forte, but I don't think Forte gets in at this point.

And why he is a Cowboy, he is also 8th in rushing (in the NFC). Despite the receiving, I think being that low on the stat sheet hurts.

Right now, I think Portis is a lock. I think Adrian Peterson is a favorite, and Turner would be 3rd. You can argue for others (Forte, Barber, Gore, Jacobs) but those three I think would be in the pro bowl right now. W/ that said, if Forte can kick it into high gear over the last 5 games and catch up to those three, then who knows.

No, it wasn't a reponse to you. I was just saying "Do you guys think he should get in?", because like you said, he's having a year comparable to Forte, but like you said, he plays for Dallas so he'll probably get in.

Hey, I don't think he does get in.

He has similar numbers to Forte, but I don't think Forte gets in at this point.

And why he is a Cowboy, he is also 8th in rushing (in the NFC). Despite the receiving, I think being that low on the stat sheet hurts.

Right now, I think Portis is a lock. I think Adrian Peterson is a favorite, and Turner would be 3rd. You can argue for others (Forte, Barber, Gore, Jacobs) but those three I think would be in the pro bowl right now. W/ that said, if Forte can kick it into high gear over the last 5 games and catch up to those three, then who knows.

AGREE, The last 5 games are crucial with several national televised mixed in. There are somethings that have to happen: post big numbers, big plays ( espn and NFL highlight plays of the day ), Bears win ( Networks need to build up teams that will make the playoffs especially conference champs ). PR is crucial to get his name to be talked about as much as his play.

Who? I wasn't sure who you meant, so I checked the NFL rushers, and didn't see his name among the top 40 or so.

Who is this Mendy guy we coulda, shoulda, woulda taken?

Stand-out back from Illinois, drafted this year. He's pretty much the reason they were in the Rose Bowl last year. He hasn't done too much in the NFL. He's on Pittsburg, and he's behind Willie Parker and Mewelde Moore on their depth chart.

For the record, that was sarcasm. Leading up to the draft, you couldn't read more than 3 posts w/o reading about Mendenhall. Many here wanted him in the 1st round, and felt most any other pick would have been a waste.

I know who he is. I was just screwing around. And for the record, he is not buried on Pitt's depth chart anymore. He has been on the IR since, I think, about week 4 or 5.

Stand-out back from Illinois, drafted this year. He's pretty much the reason they were in the Rose Bowl last year. He hasn't done too much in the NFL. He's on Pittsburg, and he's behind Willie Parker and Mewelde Moore on their depth chart.

Mendenhall was injured in game 4 against the Ravens. He was placed on the IR with a shoukder injury before game 5.

For the record, that was sarcasm. Leading up to the draft, you couldn't read more than 3 posts w/o reading about Mendenhall. Many here wanted him in the 1st round, and felt most any other pick would have been a waste.

Ha Ha, exactly NFO, thats why I made it a point to put it in green...

This is the difference between football players and ex-football players. Replace a uncreative 1st round QB with a 4th rounder and a bottle of Jack; then replace a heartless 1st round RB with a hungry 2nd rounder and Turner's offense actually works.

Even though the D blows, I actually have more hope than I did pre-season, but for the opposite reason. We talked about the incompleteness of our O, but now we have a RB and QB that can get the job done. Combine that with an above average TE set and we have 3 out of the 5 essential pieces to the puzzle on offense. Now, I'll be back on the bandwagon for OL this off season. Anquan would be a miracle.