Sooo, It Looks Like Babich is Staying...

Mongo3451

All of you know my thoughts on who is to blame for the collapse of our defense. That being said, I also called for Babich to be the scapegoat. From everything I have been reading, it is looking as if he is staying as DC. Is this Jauron/Shoop all over again? Seriously, WTF is going on? Are they so clueless to think firing the DB coach is going fix the shit we saw on the field? Are they secretly giving the power to Marinelli to save face? Thoughts...

All of you know my thoughts on who is to blame for the collapse of our defense. That being said, I also called for Babich to be the scapegoat. From everything I have been reading, it is looking as if he is staying as DC. Is this Jauron/Shoop all over again? Seriously, WTF is going on? Are they so clueless to think firing the DB coach is going fix the shit we saw on the field? Are they secretly giving the power to Marinelli to save face? Thoughts...

What's even more disturbing is the Sun Times is reporting that DB's coach Wilkes had conflicts with Babich.

So Ron Rivera has conflicts with Lovie. Rivera is fired, and the defense gets worse.

So now we're blaming Wilkes??? Wow.

It looks like we want Marinelli to be our defensive-line coach. That's ok, but until our secondary quits leaving people wide open, the defense will never have enough time to get pressure on the quarterback.

Two years of having one of the highest paid defenses in the league, while being one of the worst defenses in the league. Something has to give.

What's even more disturbing is the Sun Times is reporting that DB's coach Wilkes had conflicts with Babich.

So Ron Rivera has conflicts with Lovie. Rivera is fired, and the defense gets worse.

So now we're blaming Wilkes??? Wow.

It looks like we want Marinelli to be our defensive-line coach. That's ok, but until our secondary quits leaving people wide open, the defense will never have enough time to get pressure on the quarterback.

Two years of having one of the highest paid defenses in the league, while being one of the worst defenses in the league. Something has to give.

Sad thing is, considering how well McBride did the year before this, and Graham this year, I'm not sure he even deserved to be fired. He seemed to do a good job of developing people.

Oh well, if this leads to Lovie and the whole coaching staff getting fired next year, I'm all for it. Especially if Shanny decides to sit out the rest of this season. I'm just salivating at the idea of Shanny as the HC (and pretty much the OC as well), and bring in someone like Jim Johnson to be the DC and just have complete control over the defense (which is a possibility if the Eagles get knocked out early and suck next year).

2 more years of Smith...

Keeping Babich gives him a scapegoat for next season...

If Marinelli does not get the DC job, and I have heard nothing saying he will not, he will probably get the DL/Asst HC

If he is hired as Asst HC you might as well say he is DC for Babich will be a lame duck. Marinelli will be in the driver's seat.

Assistant HC just is a title. It allows the Bears to pay him more money then the other assistant coaches. It does NOT mean he will be in the driver seat as DC. If he was going to be the DC, or be in charge of the D, Babich would have been fired/demoted already.

Oh well, if this leads to Lovie and the whole coaching staff getting fired next year, I'm all for it. Especially if Shanny decides to sit out the rest of this season. I'm just salivating at the idea of Shanny as the HC (and pretty much the OC as well), and bring in someone like Jim Johnson to be the DC and just have complete control over the defense (which is a possibility if the Eagles get knocked out early and suck next year).

You really think the Bears are the type of organization that would be willing to go after Shanahan? When I think of the Bears going after coaches I think of them going after more coordinators with no HC experience than huge names like Shanny or Cowher.

If Marinelli does not get the DC job, and I have heard nothing saying he will not, he will probably get the DL/Asst HC

If he is hired as Asst HC you might as well say he is DC for Babich will be a lame duck. Marinelli will be in the driver's seat.

He better be but they aren't going to give Babich the DC title and not let him do it. If they wanted to do that they'd demote Babich and give Marinelli the DC/Assistant Head Coach title not the dline/assistant head coach title.

I'm about to throw up if Babich isn't held at least semi accountable for the pathetic defensive schemes.

Even though I said I wouldn't want Marinelli as the DC, I'd rather have him their then that clown Babich. I don't know how you can sell him to the team after this season. How is it possible to keep him when our defense was hideous this year? They made no name QB's like Orlovsky look like an All Pro and Kerry Collins look like a hall of famer..

Even though I said I wouldn't want Marinelli as the DC, I'd rather have him their then that clown Babich. I don't know how you can sell him to the team after this season. How is it possible to keep him when our defense was hideous this year? They made no name QB's like Orlovsky look like an All Pro and Kerry Collins look like a hall of famer..

Because this organization is arrogant to a fault, believes we as fans are stupid and thinks it can sell us Pyrite as Gold.

He better be but they aren't going to give Babich the DC title and not let him do it. If they wanted to do that they'd demote Babich and give Marinelli the DC/Assistant Head Coach title not the dline/assistant head coach title.

I'm about to throw up if Babich isn't held at least semi accountable for the pathetic defensive schemes.

Get ready to puke, along with most of the board. If they havn't pulled the trigger yet, they probably aren't. They are hoping to land Marinelli and get the DLine in order and let Babich have another shot.

Not what I want.

I'm hoping one day folks understand this is Lovie Smith's defense.

Babich does what Lovie tells him to do or allows him to do.

Babich or Marinelli ? It doesn't matter.........

Oh and one question ? Ogun goes from 10 sacks to 5 sacks. That's the coaches fault ???

I love (sarcasim) how so many don't hold the players accountable for anything.

Oh and one question ? Ogun goes from 10 sacks to 5 sacks. That's the coaches fault ???

You mean like the coaches?

I still think the Bears aren't getting rid of the DC/OC because they are going to quietly search for other options and only make a move if they feel someone is out there that they want. Marinelli will be that guy and it just doesn't make sense to have Marinelli being anything but a DC because we all know he'd be a very involved assistant who would have significant input on the Defensive Scheme's and play calling and over the long haul that would create a power struggle in the locker room, imo.

At OC I could see the Bears making a move if someone becomes available that they really like.

I have a feeling we might just see Lovie completely take over the D. Babich might stay on as DC, but he'd be just an assistant.

I hope you are right. I think Lovie knows his ass is on the line if the D sucks next year. Anyway, what else does he have to do besides practice his blank gaze?

2 more years of Smith...

Keeping Babich gives him a scapegoat for next season...

/quote]

I don't think so. I think if Smith gets 2 more yrs and is then launched. It's going to be a colonic cleasing in which EVERYONE is gone. That means Angelo as well. The only possible way Angelo could save his job if we don't get into the playoffs next year is to fire Smith, otherwise, they are locked at the hip. I also think that Denver launching Shanahan has opened alot of eyes around the league. 3 season in a row of not getting into the playoffs should be unacceptable even for a guy who has a couple SB rings and if Denver can launch Shanahan, surely the Bears can launch Smith.

Few comments on your post.

One. I think everyone knows this is Lovie's defense, but (a) there was little to no hope for firing Lovie this year, but there was hope to getting rid of Babich and (B) while the scheme is Lovie's, the in-game playcalling is Babich. Rivera ran Lovie's scheme, but w/ plenty of tweaks. The overall scheme itself, while not my preferred, is only part of the problem. In game playcalling on defense was another part of the problem, and a big part, and that is Babich, not Lovie.

Two. I think most everyone here does in fact hold the players accountable. It is a matter of offseason periods. Right now, we are in a period teams make changes to their coaching staffs. In another month, there will be much more talk about the players who need to be replaced.

Three. With that said, while there are players that need to be replaced, I still believe the key is coaching. If it was one or two players who seemed to weaken, that would be one thing, but when it is nearly the entire defense? When you have a top 5 defense, and then turn around and become a lower tier defense, and the only real change is in coaching, then I think you have to consider coaching a major issue.

That doesn't mean players are not part of the problem, but only that coaching is a factor, potentially the greatest factor, and again, we are in that time of the offseason where coaching is addressed.

nfo,

Exactly!

And if ALL these players aren't performing...then what? If this was a military unit, you'd see a new drill sgt...not the entire platoon sent home packing because they didn't perform. Basically saying, the coaches have to get the players ready to perform, and if they don't...that too is a failure of the coaches. Especially given what we know of the D from just a few years ago with virtually the same personnell.

Three. With that said, while there are players that need to be replaced, I still believe the key is coaching. If it was one or two players who seemed to weaken, that would be one thing, but when it is nearly the entire defense? When you have a top 5 defense, and then turn around and become a lower tier defense, and the only real change is in coaching, then I think you have to consider coaching a major issue.

That doesn't mean players are not part of the problem, but only that coaching is a factor, potentially the greatest factor, and again, we are in that time of the offseason where coaching is addressed.