If these are our draft day choices

nfoligno

Okay, I am looking at Scouts Incs top 32 prospects, and it appears we have numerous options coming our way. While I am not saying for a fact any of the following will be available, I think all are at least realistic.

I am not listing the following positions, due to either a lack of value near our pick, or I simply do not see the argument for need: QB, RB, TE & LB. But in looking at need, as well as value...

OT - Michael Oher - It seems absolutely shocking to list him, but everyone I read, his stock has fallen. I think he was considered for the top pick last year if he would have come out, but has simply watched his stock drop hard. While I have read his talent is w/o question, his motivation is often questions. At the Senior Bowl practices, a perfect example came about. An unknown DE blew his doors off on two consecutive plays, and the coach ripped Oher a new one. After that, Oher dominated. But it was considered further evidence that while Oher has the talent, he lacks the motivation. Most seem to have Andre Smith and Eugene Monroe ranked higher than Oher, while many are also putting Jason Smith ahead. Scouts Inc and McShay has Oher ranked at #20, while Kiper has him around 25. So an OT that seemed WAY out of reach for us at one point, very well could be in reach, but should we be looking at a player that is falling down boards so fast?

WR - Darrius Heyward-Bey - Crabtree was always out of the question, but now it appears we will have no shot at Macklin either. DHB has good size (6'1 206) and is expected to run a sub 4.4 40. He has great speed, and is a big play threat, but I believe there are questions of focus and how developed he is. Raw talent w/ big upside, but unknown how quickly he will transition. Harven seems to be another WR discussed, but I am not sure he offers more than DHB, and comes in at only 5'10.

OG - Duke Robinson - In truth, he isn't listed in most of the top "big boards" but OGs rarely are. Regardless, I am putting him on the list for us, as I think he is worthy of a mid-late 1st round pick. He is a freak of a stud OG w/ power and quick feet that is amazing. He would likely be an immediate starter inside for us.

DE - Michael Johnson - It looks like this is a class that lacks an elite blue chip, but has numerous red chips. Orakpo is the only DE that seems to be ranked too high for us to reach in most big boards, but after him, there are about 4 DEs who have rankings from just out of the top 10 to high 20s. Aaron Maybin, Everret Brown, Tyson Jackson and Michael Johnson all seem to have value that could place them ahead of our pick, or available. I throw Jackson out because, at nearly 300lbs, he doesn't seem like an ideal fit for our scheme. I think Maybin is very likely to be gone, as he will be considered as a 3-4 LB/DE. That leaves Brown or Johnson. I used Johnson simply because I believe Brown is most likely of the two to be gone, but if it alters opinion, write in Brown instead. I really don't know how the DEs will fall.

DT - Sen'Derrick Marks - Raji is a DT many might like too, but his stock seems to be rising to the point he could be closer than not to a top 10 pick. From what I have read, Raji has been dominating at the Senior Bowl as if he were a man among boys. Perry is also listed up there, but does not seem to fit our system. Frankly, I am not sure if Marks does either, but listed him for value sake. Really, the top fit for our system may be Raji, but it simply doesn't appear anymore he will be available.

CB - Vontae Davis - He may not even make it too us, but for argument sake, I will list him. Decent (not great) size, but great talent. Huge question on him is motivation, as I read he was benched this year at one point "as a wake up call".

S - Will Moore - W/ Mays out, it appears Moore has taken over the top S spot. FS w/ size. Neither McShay, nor Kiper, put his value high enough for this spot, but like Duke, I think he is a player who will have middle to late 1st round value.

So, those are the options, unless you must have a write in candidate. I know some will be gone, while others on draft day will be viewed as reaches, but that's what you get when you talk draft prior to the freaking SB :(

For me, I would take Oher. While his stock is down right now, I still view him as a stud OT. While we drafted Williams last year, we could easily play Oher at RT, and have our bookend OTs for the next decade. I think Forte and Orton would both write thank you notes.

If Oher is gone, my next choice is Duke. Basically, see the above. Pair Duke w/ Williams, and you potentially create a dominating left side for years to come. Again, Forte and Orton write thank you notes.

Oher...

However, I'm still holding on to a glimmer of hope for Laurinaitis if he falls to us. ;)

Okay, I am looking at Scouts Incs top 32 prospects, and it appears we have numerous options coming our way. While I am not saying for a fact any of the following will be available, I think all are at least realistic.

I am not listing the following positions, due to either a lack of value near our pick, or I simply do not see the argument for need: QB, RB, TE & LB. But in looking at need, as well as value...

OT - Michael Oher - It seems absolutely shocking to list him, but everyone I read, his stock has fallen. I think he was considered for the top pick last year if he would have come out, but has simply watched his stock drop hard. While I have read his talent is w/o question, his motivation is often questions. At the Senior Bowl practices, a perfect example came about. An unknown DE blew his doors off on two consecutive plays, and the coach ripped Oher a new one. After that, Oher dominated. But it was considered further evidence that while Oher has the talent, he lacks the motivation. Most seem to have Andre Smith and Eugene Monroe ranked higher than Oher, while many are also putting Jason Smith ahead. Scouts Inc and McShay has Oher ranked at #20, while Kiper has him around 25. So an OT that seemed WAY out of reach for us at one point, very well could be in reach, but should we be looking at a player that is falling down boards so fast?

WR - Darrius Heyward-Bey - Crabtree was always out of the question, but now it appears we will have no shot at Macklin either. DHB has good size (6'1 206) and is expected to run a sub 4.4 40. He has great speed, and is a big play threat, but I believe there are questions of focus and how developed he is. Raw talent w/ big upside, but unknown how quickly he will transition. Harven seems to be another WR discussed, but I am not sure he offers more than DHB, and comes in at only 5'10.

OG - Duke Robinson - In truth, he isn't listed in most of the top "big boards" but OGs rarely are. Regardless, I am putting him on the list for us, as I think he is worthy of a mid-late 1st round pick. He is a freak of a stud OG w/ power and quick feet that is amazing. He would likely be an immediate starter inside for us.

DE - Michael Johnson - It looks like this is a class that lacks an elite blue chip, but has numerous red chips. Orakpo is the only DE that seems to be ranked too high for us to reach in most big boards, but after him, there are about 4 DEs who have rankings from just out of the top 10 to high 20s. Aaron Maybin, Everret Brown, Tyson Jackson and Michael Johnson all seem to have value that could place them ahead of our pick, or available. I throw Jackson out because, at nearly 300lbs, he doesn't seem like an ideal fit for our scheme. I think Maybin is very likely to be gone, as he will be considered as a 3-4 LB/DE. That leaves Brown or Johnson. I used Johnson simply because I believe Brown is most likely of the two to be gone, but if it alters opinion, write in Brown instead. I really don't know how the DEs will fall.

DT - Sen'Derrick Marks - Raji is a DT many might like too, but his stock seems to be rising to the point he could be closer than not to a top 10 pick. From what I have read, Raji has been dominating at the Senior Bowl as if he were a man among boys. Perry is also listed up there, but does not seem to fit our system. Frankly, I am not sure if Marks does either, but listed him for value sake. Really, the top fit for our system may be Raji, but it simply doesn't appear anymore he will be available.

CB - Vontae Davis - He may not even make it too us, but for argument sake, I will list him. Decent (not great) size, but great talent. Huge question on him is motivation, as I read he was benched this year at one point "as a wake up call".

S - Will Moore - W/ Mays out, it appears Moore has taken over the top S spot. FS w/ size. Neither McShay, nor Kiper, put his value high enough for this spot, but like Duke, I think he is a player who will have middle to late 1st round value.

So, those are the options, unless you must have a write in candidate. I know some will be gone, while others on draft day will be viewed as reaches, but that's what you get when you talk draft prior to the freaking SB :(

For me, I would take Oher. While his stock is down right now, I still view him as a stud OT. While we drafted Williams last year, we could easily play Oher at RT, and have our bookend OTs for the next decade. I think Forte and Orton would both write thank you notes.

If Oher is gone, my next choice is Duke. Basically, see the above. Pair Duke w/ Williams, and you potentially create a dominating left side for years to come. Again, Forte and Orton write thank you notes.

Oher...

However, I'm still holding on to a glimmer of hope for Laurinaitis if he falls to us. ;)

I know you love Laurinaitis, but if we took a LB in the 1st, I would puke. Sorry, but (a) we do not utilize the SLB to the point of 1st round value and (B) we have far too many major needs than to draft a position we already have two players like Briggs and Urlacher.

The only LB (type) I would at all consider is one like Colvin, who could provide double digit sack potential from the LB position.

I would tooo... But only because I drank so much celebrating! ;)

He'll be gone before us I'm sure though...

I know you love Laurinaitis, but if we took a LB in the 1st, I would puke. Sorry, but (a) we do not utilize the SLB to the point of 1st round value and (B) we have far too many major needs than to draft a position we already have two players like Briggs and Urlacher.

The only LB (type) I would at all consider is one like Colvin, who could provide double digit sack potential from the LB position.

Oher...

I love Laurinaitis. With the current state of the team I'm not sure I'd take him, but if we make a solid addition to DE or OL, or both, in free agency, then I like the idea of taking him if he's the Best Player Available. Put him at MLB and Urlacher at SLB, which would help prolong Urlacher's career. And F*** it, I know SAM is the least prominent of the LB's in our defense, but if Brian Urlacher is your SAM, I think you make that spot important.

Oher would be phenomenal. But after the Senior Bowl and combine, he'll move back up the draft boards and out of our reach. If he did fall to us somehow, though, we'd be crazy not to take him. I know he's projected as a LT, but he could definitely play RT. We'd have bookend tackles for the next 10 years.

Oher, period. A LB in the first round this year for the Bears would be ridiculous. It would be stupid. Unless the dude runs a 3.9 forty and benchs a Dodge Charger, drafting a LB, any LB, this year would be one of the stupidest draft day decisions in history. Yes, history.

If Oher falls to us, I would not be able to contain my excitement. Not only would he be a great RT, he would be valuable insurance if Williams falters. With that excitement comes great concern, because I don't want an OT that takes plays off, as that will be gameplanned against. Our QB and RB are way too valuable and that will wreck them both in the NFL.

Next I would take Vontae Davis. If he could break even with Tillman, we could move Tillman to FS and still have money to sign Peppers and an OT. I have been and will stay on the "Tillman to safety" bandwagon, as he'll have more opportunity to make plays on the ball.

I'd take Oher @18 in a heart beat.

Oh by the way Mel Kiper came out today with his 1st rd mock.

He has Oher going @ 28 and Laurinaitis going @ 29.

IMO if Oher is still on the board when it's the BEARS turn they should take him with out hesitation

Wow...

Who does he have us picking? maclin?

I'd take Oher @18 in a heart beat.

Oh by the way Mel Kiper came out today with his 1st rd mock.

He has Oher going @ 28 and Laurinaitis going @ 29.

IMO if Oher is still on the board when it's the BEARS turn they should take him with out hesitation

I'm sure there have been worse...

Oher, period. A LB in the first round this year for the Bears would be ridiculous. It would be stupid. Unless the dude runs a 3.9 forty and benchs a Dodge Charger, drafting a LB, any LB, this year would be one of the stupidest draft day decisions in history. Yes, history.

I love projecting mocks and looking at possiblities. Of course it all depends on what we do in FA and w/ our roster as were sitting pretty nice right now with cap space. While trying to guess what we will do that not only helps our team now, we also have to do what is right 3-4 yrs from now.

1.) Right now, our team needs a proven WR that can be a difference maker. We tried going with an older vet last time w/ Moose and we all seen how that worked out. This time, I see the Bears looking to go a little younger.

Nate Washington WR 6-1 185 AGE 25 - Washington is an up and coming WR that has nice size and has played for a championship caliber team. He knows what it takes and he can replace the loss of Berrian. Washington is known as a deep threat who has great straight line speed that can stretch defenses. He has good hands and always seems to be open. If we can get this guy in, we can line him up like Berrian, put Hester in the slot and Bennett as the #2 possession WR.

2) The second FA move the Bears should make before the draft is FS. Enough with the talk of shifting Manning/Tillman/Graham/Vasher and just bring in a true FS. This may not be high on the Bears priority b/c of the log jam of mediocre DB's, but bringing in a true talented FS can help make some of those mediocre DB's look better.

Oshiomogho Atogwe FS 5-11 210 AGE 27 - Atogwe is the only true and good FS available. As soon as FA opens, the Bears ought to make it known they want his services.

3.) With the addition of those two FA, the Bears will have huge flexiblity in the draft and then I'd love to see it play out like this: a's stick together and b's stick together, not 1 or the other.

1-18a Michael Oher OT - I'd be estactic if he were available at our pick, then that would give us an option of releasing Tait and saving about 4-4.5 in cap space. With Thayer saying some great things about Williams, I think we can be set at OT for a decade.

1-18b Michael Johnson DE - He'd be my second choice b/c we need to get a young replacement for Wale. Johnson has huge ceiling, but also a higher floor(bust). I think he'd be a nice toy for Marinelli.

-----------------------RD 2-------------------

2-49a Josh Freeman QB - Unless we can bring in a Kurt Warner type QB, I think the Bears can count on Orton like the Packers did w/ Rodgers and not have a proven backup. Freeman and Haine can battle out the #2 spot as the word out of Halas is the Bears are very high on Haine still.

2-49b Phil Loadholdt RT/Fenuki Topui OT - If we don't get a 1st RD OT, I'd like the Bears to grab the best one available RD2. There both huge bodies, and I'm not sure which one projects as the better pro just yet.

-----------------------RD 3---------------------------

3-85a Trevor Canfield G - Canfield is a big bodied G that is a good run blocker. We need to improve all depth on Oline.

3-85b Rhett Bomar QB - I'm not sold on Orton, and since we here very little on extending him, I'm guessing the Bears want to see him perform 1 more year. Bomar can compete w/ Haine for #2/#3 if a vet is not signed to back up.

-----------------------RD 3 Comp -------------------------

3-97a Louis Murphy WR

3-97b Anthony Parker G/ Andy Kemp G/ Louis Vasquez G

Oher will be a top 10-15 pick. I'd love it if he fell to us, but right now that's wishful thinking. Of all the top OT's (Monroe, Andre Smith, Jason Smith, and Oher), Jason Smith has the best chance of falling to us, and he's pretty much Chris Williams all over again.

Of all the receivers that might be available or worth the 18 pick, DHB makes the most sense for us. Maybe Britt as well if he REALLY impresses at the combine.

I would have agreed with you before the NC, but after watching that game, Duke has dropped on my big board. The combine will be huge.

Michael Johnson is a terrible football player and right now is a round 2-3 prospect. Maybin will be a 3-4 OLB, most likely, and has too many question marks for us to take a chance on. Brown would be a good fit, but he's looking like he'll be off the board come 18. Tyson Jackson makes absolutely ZERO sense, unless Lovie's new scheme has us going to a 3-4. I really like Paul Kruger, but not real sure if he'd fall all the way to our 2nd round pick, but 18 would be to high for him. But he does make sense considering it sounds like we are looking for a future replacement for Ogunleye, and we seem to think Mark Anderson can re-find some of that prior technique he had with Marinelli. Larry English could also be a possibility in the 2nd, while we're on the subject.

I really wanted B.J. Raji prior to the Senior Bowl, but he is dominating it, and will likely go in the 5-15 range. However, if he's there at 18, we'd be fools not to take him. He doesn't seem to be an ideal fit for the Cover 2 with his size, but his play makes him a perfect fit. He can effectively pass the rusher and stuff the run. Him and Harris would be a fantastic DT duo. Marks makes sense as a cover 2 UT, but UT isn't a need and Marks is a borderline round 1 prospect. Peria Jerry, the DT from Ole Miss, is an ideal fit and UT and is the 2nd best DT in this draft, but like I said, UT isn't a need, at least not right now.

He's been falling some and could be here for us. But I'm not that high on him, and I think he's lot like his brother (Vernon Davis), a work out warrior, but doesn't play up to his measureables. I wouldn't mind him, but I think there's a better route for us.

We need a FS, but Moore makes little sense as a Cover 2 FS, and his draft stock has been sinking like a rock. Not only did he have a terrible season, but he's sucked it up at the Senior Bowl. Right now, it looks like Louis Delmas and Rashad Johnson are about to jump ahead of Moore. I think all three of them are borderline 1st round, but likely early-mid second round pics. If we could, trading down to late first/early second and picking one of Delmas or Johnson would make a lot of sense.

Of that list, Oher or Raji are the clear top two choices, with Everette Brown being a possibility, IMO.

I'm not so sure on Duke anymore. I'll try and holdoff final judgement until after the combine/pro day, but he's a second round prospect in my mind right now. I'd love Mark Sanchez, but he'll be a top 10 pick most likely. I think Josh Freeman is a legit possibility, but I would prefer not to go with him because his bust factor is off the charts. With the way the draft looks now, my preference would be to trade down to the late 1st/early second and go with one of Kruger, Delmas, Johsnon, or Robinson. However, like I said in a different thread, it's easier said then done to trade down.

Some other guys that I wouldn't mind/could see at 18 are:

CB D.J. Moore, Vanderbilt - He's a really good CB prospect and is very good in man coverage. This is something we need in a cornerback if we decide to continue with the Blitz Heavy Lovie 2 scheme we ran this past year (yes, I call it the Lovie 2)

SAM Clint Sintim, Virginia/Clay Matthews, USC/Brian Cushing, USC - I know this sounds crazy drafting what could be a 2 down player with our 1st round pick, and a 3rd linebacker to go along with our other expensive 2, but right now, all three of these guys are raising up draft boards, and SAM is a big enough need to where we might be willing to go with it if the draft falls where one of these guys are the BPA for what our needs are. This also makes sense since all three of these guys can blitz and we have become a team that likes to blitz at least one backer or DB as well as the front 4 (partially because the front 4 can't get pressure anymore). However, Matthews or Cushing would make more sense over Sintim because they could potentially play MIKE as well.

I'm not so sure Oher will move back up the charts. The questions on taking plays off and the Wonderlic test will likely be enough to keep him around for our pick. When you start paying top ten money to a OT early in the draft you are looking for a sure thing. Elite LTs routinely score high on this test so that means something and I don't expect Oher to ace the test. If he's there at 18 I'd gladly take him to be our future RT. This is one prospect where the player interview is going to play a huge role in where he gets drafted. That's one piece of info that is impossible to get our hands on before a draft.

Amazing - I agree with you 100%. Oher if he is there. Duke if he is not.

Peace :dabears

Moving Urlacher to SLB is an awful idea IMHO. If you recall, that is where we initially tried Urlacher, but he could not fight off the blocks. More than any LB, the SLB must be able to fight off blocks as he is usually lined up against the TE. Since being moved to MLB, ability to fight off blocks has continued to be the top knock on Urlacher. IMHO, moving him to SLB would only expose his greatest weakness.

Personally, the only position I think "could" be considered for Urlacher in a move would be SS. Urlacher still is often matched up w/ speedy RBs in coverage, and thus I think could handle most TEs. He would still play the run and in the box, like a LB, but would simply play w/ more space, which I think fits his game. He played a similar position in college (rover) and is the only move I think would make sense.

W/ that said, I still like Urlacher at MLB, but simply want to see our staff do a better job positioning him.

I love Laurinaitis. With the current state of the team I'm not sure I'd take him, but if we make a solid addition to DE or OL, or both, in free agency, then I like the idea of taking him if he's the Best Player Available. Put him at MLB and Urlacher at SLB, which would help prolong Urlacher's career. And F*** it, I know SAM is the least prominent of the LB's in our defense, but if Brian Urlacher is your SAM, I think you make that spot important.

Oher would be phenomenal. But after the Senior Bowl and combine, he'll move back up the draft boards and out of our reach. If he did fall to us somehow, though, we'd be crazy not to take him. I know he's projected as a LT, but he could definitely play RT. We'd have bookend tackles for the next 10 years.

1.) Right now, our team needs a proven WR that can be a difference maker. We tried going with an older vet last time w/ Moose and we all seen how that worked out. This time, I see the Bears looking to go a little younger.

Nate Washington WR 6-1 185 AGE 25 - Washington is an up and coming WR that has nice size and has played for a championship caliber team. He knows what it takes and he can replace the loss of Berrian. Washington is known as a deep threat who has great straight line speed that can stretch defenses. He has good hands and always seems to be open. If we can get this guy in, we can line him up like Berrian, put Hester in the slot and Bennett as the #2 possession WR.

I said this in another thread. I have no problem w/ Washington, but only if he is part of a package of two WRs, w/ the other being a solid possession WR. I love the idea of adding Washington so we can move Hester to the slot, but do not like the idea of assuming Bennett can start, much less be our safety valve for Orton.

W/ that said, I just do not think this move fits because I think our staff have flat out inserted Hester into one of the starting positions, and I am moving forward in offseason plans w/ that assumption. I do not like the look of Washington on one side, and Hester on the other. One or the other starting is fine, but not both. So assuming Hester is one starter, I simply feel our 2nd starter must be a possession WR.

2) The second FA move the Bears should make before the draft is FS. Enough with the talk of shifting Manning/Tillman/Graham/Vasher and just bring in a true FS. This may not be high on the Bears priority b/c of the log jam of mediocre DB's, but bringing in a true talented FS can help make some of those mediocre DB's look better.

Oshiomogho Atogwe FS 5-11 210 AGE 27 - Atogwe is the only true and good FS available. As soon as FA opens, the Bears ought to make it known they want his services.

Agreed 100%. The questions are (a) will be make it to FA, as many have said they will either re-sign him prior to FA or tag him, either of which takes him off the market and (B) After Atogwe, is there anyone out there you really like. I am very luke warm to the rest of the options, at best.

Regarding your draft talk, I love that (a) you stress the hell out of OL. In fact, I had to double check to make sure I wasn't speaking w/ Jason:) (B) You are thinking about a young QB. I am not sure about Freeman, but I like Bomar a lot.

3.) With the addition of those two FA, the Bears will have huge flexiblity in the draft and then I'd love to see it play out like this: a's stick together and b's stick together, not 1 or the other.

1-18a Michael Oher OT - I'd be estactic if he were available at our pick, then that would give us an option of releasing Tait and saving about 4-4.5 in cap space. With Thayer saying some great things about Williams, I think we can be set at OT for a decade.

1-18b Michael Johnson DE - He'd be my second choice b/c we need to get a young replacement for Wale. Johnson has huge ceiling, but also a higher floor(bust). I think he'd be a nice toy for Marinelli.

-----------------------RD 2-------------------

2-49a Josh Freeman QB - Unless we can bring in a Kurt Warner type QB, I think the Bears can count on Orton like the Packers did w/ Rodgers and not have a proven backup. Freeman and Haine can battle out the #2 spot as the word out of Halas is the Bears are very high on Haine still.

2-49b Phil Loadholdt RT/Fenuki Topui OT - If we don't get a 1st RD OT, I'd like the Bears to grab the best one available RD2. There both huge bodies, and I'm not sure which one projects as the better pro just yet.

-----------------------RD 3---------------------------

3-85a Trevor Canfield G - Canfield is a big bodied G that is a good run blocker. We need to improve all depth on Oline.

3-85b Rhett Bomar QB - I'm not sold on Orton, and since we here very little on extending him, I'm guessing the Bears want to see him perform 1 more year. Bomar can compete w/ Haine for #2/#3 if a vet is not signed to back up.

-----------------------RD 3 Comp -------------------------

3-97a Louis Murphy WR

3-97b Anthony Parker G/ Andy Kemp G/ Louis Vasquez G

Oher will be a top 10-15 pick. I'd love it if he fell to us, but right now that's wishful thinking. Of all the top OT's (Monroe, Andre Smith, Jason Smith, and Oher), Jason Smith has the best chance of falling to us, and he's pretty much Chris Williams all over again.

First, I would point out you consider him a 10-15 pick player. 15 is only 3 spots in front of us. Dropping those 3 spots is very realistic. I think many (including myself) find it hard to believe Oher could fall to 18 as he was considered a potential #1 pick last year if he would have come out, but the more I read, the more I think it possible. While few question his actual talent, his motivation has been strongly questioned, and this year the OT crop is deep enough that a good player could slip.

Smith could be the OT to fall, but right now, he is the OT who seems to have serious upward momentum, as Kiper has him now as a near top 10 pick, while Scouts has moved him up into their top 32 range, and I bet he climbs their board further. At the same time, Oher is really falling. He is now 23 for Kiper and 20 for Scouts. That may not mean much, but I think it does reflect how his stock is falling right now.

I would have agreed with you before the NC, but after watching that game, Duke has dropped on my big board. The combine will be huge.

Duke didn't have a great game, and in particular, had one really bad series. At the same time, for me, that only meant he has a greater chance to last to our pick, rather than my dropping him hard on my big board. I would still love to add Duke, and feel he would do wonders for our OL, and offense as a whole.

Michael Johnson is a terrible football player and right now is a round 2-3 prospect. Maybin will be a 3-4 OLB, most likely, and has too many question marks for us to take a chance on. Brown would be a good fit, but he's looking like he'll be off the board come 18. Tyson Jackson makes absolutely ZERO sense, unless Lovie's new scheme has us going to a 3-4. I really like Paul Kruger, but not real sure if he'd fall all the way to our 2nd round pick, but 18 would be to high for him. But he does make sense considering it sounds like we are looking for a future replacement for Ogunleye, and we seem to think Mark Anderson can re-find some of that prior technique he had with Marinelli. Larry English could also be a possibility in the 2nd, while we're on the subject.

Personally, not a huge fan of MJ, but he does seem to fit our scheme and does seem like the sort of player Angelo would like. And while you say he is a 2nd/3rd round prospect, I have seen many who have him much higher. Scouts has him at 24 right now.

I really wanted B.J. Raji prior to the Senior Bowl, but he is dominating it, and will likely go in the 5-15 range. However, if he's there at 18, we'd be fools not to take him. He doesn't seem to be an ideal fit for the Cover 2 with his size, but his play makes him a perfect fit. He can effectively pass the rusher and stuff the run. Him and Harris would be a fantastic DT duo. Marks makes sense as a cover 2 UT, but UT isn't a need and Marks is a borderline round 1 prospect. Peria Jerry, the DT from Ole Miss, is an ideal fit and UT and is the 2nd best DT in this draft, but like I said, UT isn't a need, at least not right now.

Question, if you had the option of Oher or Raji, who would you take?

He's been falling some and could be here for us. But I'm not that high on him, and I think he's lot like his brother (Vernon Davis), a work out warrior, but doesn't play up to his measureables. I wouldn't mind him, but I think there's a better route for us.

Agreed. I am not high at all on taking a CB in round one. I have had this argument before, but while CB is a top pick for many teams, I simply do not feel you need elite CBs for the cover two. Elite CBs are often shut down man coverage corners, and that is not what is needed for the cover two. In our system, whether we are in the cover two or another setup, we most often are playing zone, and you simply don't need the top end shut down corners. I think we are much better off upgrading the pass rush, and FS position, rather than the CB position.

We need a FS, but Moore makes little sense as a Cover 2 FS, and his draft stock has been sinking like a rock. Not only did he have a terrible season, but he's sucked it up at the Senior Bowl. Right now, it looks like Louis Delmas and Rashad Johnson are about to jump ahead of Moore. I think all three of them are borderline 1st round, but likely early-mid second round pics. If we could, trading down to late first/early second and picking one of Delmas or Johnson would make a lot of sense.

Honestly, I don't know much about the FS' in the draft at this point, but simply believe FS is our one of our biggest needs on defense. In fact, I believe FS is our top need on defense, though I am sure Angelo would disagree.

Of that list, Oher or Raji are the clear top two choices, with Everette Brown being a possibility, IMO.

Not sure about Brown, but love Oher to the Bears. I am not high on taking a DT in round one, but at the same time, love so much of what I have read about Raji.

I'm not so sure on Duke anymore. I'll try and holdoff final judgement until after the combine/pro day, but he's a second round prospect in my mind right now. I'd love Mark Sanchez, but he'll be a top 10 pick most likely. I think Josh Freeman is a legit possibility, but I would prefer not to go with him because his bust factor is off the charts. With the way the draft looks now, my preference would be to trade down to the late 1st/early second and go with one of Kruger, Delmas, Johsnon, or Robinson. However, like I said in a different thread, it's easier said then done to trade down.

I simply can't write off Duke due to one game, regardless how big it was. To me, Duke is still a legit stud. Also, I think he will jump back up the boards after workouts, as his athleticism for a man his size is believed to be unbelievable. Agreed on Sanchez. I would consider him a perfect pick, as I see him as having franchise QB potential, but will need time. W/ Orton under contract for another season, we are in great position to draft a player like Sanchez, but w/ the other QBs opting to stay in school, it is a near lock Sanchez doesn't fall to us.

I am not high on trading down. I think we need studs and playmakers, and feel you are simply less likely to find that the further you trade down. Also, this early in the game, I hate to discuss trade scenarios, as there is simply too much time between now and the draft and too many unknowns.

Some other guys that I wouldn't mind/could see at 18 are:

CB D.J. Moore, Vanderbilt - He's a really good CB prospect and is very good in man coverage. This is something we need in a cornerback if we decide to continue with the Blitz Heavy Lovie 2 scheme we ran this past year (yes, I call it the Lovie 2)

Disagree 100%. Personally, I love man coverage, but that is simply not a big part of Lovie's cover two. Despite how much we blitz, or how much man coverage makes sense, the reality is, we simply do not use man coverage often. Even when we blitz, our DBs are well off the LOS, and playing zone. You can argue that is due to the talent of our DBs, but I simply disagree. I believe Lovie is a zone coverage guy, and elite man coverage CBs would go to waste in our system as we would ask them to mostly play zone.

SAM Clint Sintim, Virginia/Clay Matthews, USC/Brian Cushing, USC - I know this sounds crazy drafting what could be a 2 down player with our 1st round pick, and a 3rd linebacker to go along with our other expensive 2, but right now, all three of these guys are raising up draft boards, and SAM is a big enough need to where we might be willing to go with it if the draft falls where one of these guys are the BPA for what our needs are. This also makes sense since all three of these guys can blitz and we have become a team that likes to blitz at least one backer or DB as well as the front 4 (partially because the front 4 can't get pressure anymore). However, Matthews or Cushing would make more sense over Sintim because they could potentially play MIKE as well.

I hear you, but:

One. LB is considered one of the deeper positions in the draft, and I think we have a legit chance to find a solid SLB after round one.

Two. Until I see more evidence that our staff will better utilize the SLB position, I just can not see my way to adding a 1st round talent. If I felt we would better utilize the 3rd LB position, maybe, but I just do not believe that, even if we had a stud SLB, he would be utilized to the point of getting value.

Three. While a stud SLB would be nice, I think it is a luxury, and question going w/ luxury when so many huge holes are seen. I question how much a SLB would help the defense if you still have huge holes on DL and in the secondary. We already have two stud LBs, but that has not been enough to offset weaknesses at DL and secondary. I just do not believe adding a 3rd LB would be enough.

First, I would point out you consider him a 10-15 pick player. 15 is only 3 spots in front of us. Dropping those 3 spots is very realistic. I think many (including myself) find it hard to believe Oher could fall to 18 as he was considered a potential #1 pick last year if he would have come out, but the more I read, the more I think it possible. While few question his actual talent, his motivation has been strongly questioned, and this year the OT crop is deep enough that a good player could slip.

I don't know why I wrote top 10-15. Right now, he's the best T prospect in my eyes and I see him going in the top 5.

Smith could be the OT to fall, but right now, he is the OT who seems to have serious upward momentum, as Kiper has him now as a near top 10 pick, while Scouts has moved him up into their top 32 range, and I bet he climbs their board further. At the same time, Oher is really falling. He is now 23 for Kiper and 20 for Scouts. That may not mean much, but I think it does reflect how his stock is falling right now.

Jason Smith is really only a fit for a ZBS or a scheme similar to ours. Also, while he is a really good pass protecter, he does little in the run game. He's high on rankings now because he's the hot commidity, but on draft day he will be the one dropping the most, IMO. When you have Andre Smith, Michael Oher, and Eugene Monroe, you're talking about ELITE LT prospects who can be pro bowlers for years to come. With Jason Smith, you're looking at someone similar to Chris Williams as they should be solid LT's, and could be a franchise LT, but don't really have the potential to be elite.

Duke didn't have a great game, and in particular, had one really bad series. At the same time, for me, that only meant he has a greater chance to last to our pick, rather than my dropping him hard on my big board. I would still love to add Duke, and feel he would do wonders for our OL, and offense as a whole.

Even before the bad game, he was a bit of a reach at 18. And right now, he's viewed mostly as a late 1st-mid 2nd. I really wish he would have participated in the Senior Bowl because he really needed to answer some questions after that Bowl Game.

Personally, not a huge fan of MJ, but he does seem to fit our scheme and does seem like the sort of player Angelo would like. And while you say he is a 2nd/3rd round prospect, I have seen many who have him much higher. Scouts has him at 24 right now.

Right now, Michael Johnson is being ranked high by those so called "experts" because of his size and potential. But he's been falling like a rock and most NFL scouts see a guy who has the potential, but has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to warrent even being a 1st day pick.

Question, if you had the option of Oher or Raji, who would you take?

That's a tough one. Personally, I'd go with Raji as I think adding someone like him would make a bigger impact right away, but you can't really go wrong/complain about either. However, unfortunitely it does not seem like we will be able to get either.

Agreed. I am not high at all on taking a CB in round one. I have had this argument before, but while CB is a top pick for many teams, I simply do not feel you need elite CBs for the cover two. Elite CBs are often shut down man coverage corners, and that is not what is needed for the cover two. In our system, whether we are in the cover two or another setup, we most often are playing zone, and you simply don't need the top end shut down corners. I think we are much better off upgrading the pass rush, and FS position, rather than the CB position.

Agreed. Cover 2 Corners are a lot easier to find, and we have already have a good one in Tillman, and one of Vasher/Graham/McBride should hopefully really step up next year.

Honestly, I don't know much about the FS' in the draft at this point, but simply believe FS is our one of our biggest needs on defense. In fact, I believe FS is our top need on defense, though I am sure Angelo would disagree.

Right now, this safety class in general sucks. William Moore has done nothing but suck this whole year, and he is more of a thumper of a FS, and the Cover 2 needs more of a coverage/centerfielder type of FS. Both Rashad Johnson and Louis Delmas would make sense, but both are fringe first rounders at best. 18 would be much too early for either, but our 2nd round pick might be too late.

Not sure about Brown, but love Oher to the Bears. I am not high on taking a DT in round one, but at the same time, love so much of what I have read about Raji.

If Brown falls to us, and neither Oher or Raji are there, I think he's the pick.

I simply can't write off Duke due to one game, regardless how big it was. To me, Duke is still a legit stud. Also, I think he will jump back up the boards after workouts, as his athleticism for a man his size is believed to be unbelievable. Agreed on Sanchez. I would consider him a perfect pick, as I see him as having franchise QB potential, but will need time. W/ Orton under contract for another season, we are in great position to draft a player like Sanchez, but w/ the other QBs opting to stay in school, it is a near lock Sanchez doesn't fall to us.

Not much to say about that.

I am not high on trading down. I think we need studs and playmakers, and feel you are simply less likely to find that the further you trade down. Also, this early in the game, I hate to discuss trade scenarios, as there is simply too much time between now and the draft and too many unknowns.

As of right now, it's looking like we will be kind of in a grey area, and we have a lot of needs, but no one really sticks out if none of Oher, Raji, etc. don't fall to us. Do we reach for safety? DE? WR? Freeman? CB? It'll be VERY interesting to see who's available for us come draft time.

Disagree 100%. Personally, I love man coverage, but that is simply not a big part of Lovie's cover two. Despite how much we blitz, or how much man coverage makes sense, the reality is, we simply do not use man coverage often. Even when we blitz, our DBs are well off the LOS, and playing zone. You can argue that is due to the talent of our DBs, but I simply disagree. I believe Lovie is a zone coverage guy, and elite man coverage CBs would go to waste in our system as we would ask them to mostly play zone.

With the amount we blitz, we need to play a lot of man. And it's not like we play a ton of zone to begin with. I'd say this past year it was about 60-40 between zone and man. Someone like Moore can play both, and would help us a lot.

I hear you, but:

One. LB is considered one of the deeper positions in the draft, and I think we have a legit chance to find a solid SLB after round one.

True, but if things fall the way I see them, SAM might be the BPA for us.

Two. Until I see more evidence that our staff will better utilize the SLB position, I just can not see my way to adding a 1st round talent. If I felt we would better utilize the 3rd LB position, maybe, but I just do not believe that, even if we had a stud SLB, he would be utilized to the point of getting value.

Part of this could be because we haven't had a good SAM in the past 2 years. Hunter's play peaked in 06, and has done nothing but decrease.

Three. While a stud SLB would be nice, I think it is a luxury, and question going w/ luxury when so many huge holes are seen. I question how much a SLB would help the defense if you still have huge holes on DL and in the secondary. We already have two stud LBs, but that has not been enough to offset weaknesses at DL and secondary. I just do not believe adding a 3rd LB would be enough.

I agree, but if things fall like that, it might make the most sense.