Boldin...

tjgimm

who cares. get him and pay the man!

Oh man, please trade for Boldin. Usually I try not to get my hopes up about the Bears making big offseason moves (pre-Cutler, anyway) but if they can get Boldin for a 2nd and a conditional pick next year, they ABSOLUTELY need to do it. Trade for him, pay him. Not just because he's Anquan Boldin, but because he's the only starting-caliber receiver available for trade, unless you think the Browns' FO is lying when they say they won't move Ocho Cinco.

I stil think you start the package at Urlacher and a lower round pick and than use your 2nd rounder on a LB. This is a deep LB draft and I like the Bears depth at the position. Plus our window was extended when we got Cutler so moving a guy like Urlacher whose at the tail end of his career flat out makes sense.

I stil think you start the package at Urlacher and a lower round pick and than use your 2nd rounder on a LB. This is a deep LB draft and I like the Bears depth at the position. Plus our window was extended when we got Cutler so moving a guy like Urlacher whose at the tail end of his career flat out makes sense.

Sorry. No it doesn't.

1]You don't have to throw the guy away to get a deal done.

2]Also, you don't dump your franchise guy.

3]Urlacher hasn't declined so much that he's not still really good.

3a]Urlacher's struggles are more a result of poor defensive scheme than his declining skills.

Sorry. No it doesn't.

1]You don't have to throw the guy away to get a deal done.

2]Also, you don't dump your franchise guy.

3]Urlacher hasn't declined so much that he's not still really good.

3a]Urlacher's struggles are more a result of poor defensive scheme than his declining skills.

Cutler is the franchise guy now. Getting him Boldin benefits him and if it allows you to hold onto your 2nd round draft pick you do it, imo. Boldin >>> Urlacher to the Bears for the next 5 years.

If in fact you blame the scheme for Urlachers struggles than I ask you, is the scheme changing? Lovie is running the same defense Babich did. The play calling will be different but the scheme, very much the same. Urlacher is slower, less strong, etc, and as a guy who fundementally was never the greatest linebacker (ie, he relied heavily on his pure athletism), the writing is on the wall that he won't be that productive player in his thirties, imo.

Jeff Dickerson's Blog

http://espn.go.com/chicago/columns/blog?po...;name=dickerson

Lower asking price puts Boldin in play

With the price down to a 2nd-rounder and players, the Bears could make an offer for Anquan Boldin

April 24, 2009, 2:58 PM

By: Jeff Dickerson

The question has never been whether the Bears want Anquan Boldin. Rather, do the Bears have enough to get Anquan Boldin? In light of the recent report by ESPN's Sal Paolantonio, the answer to the second question may be "yes." Two sources tell Paolantonio that Arizona has lowered its demands, asking now for a second-rounder plus other (likely player) considerations. Of course, the team that acquires Boldin must also rip up his old contract, but the Bears have ample space under the cap to accommodate such a transaction.

Money should not be an issue. Parting with a second-round pick is also acceptable. The only remaining question: Do the Bears have the player/players to satisfy the Cardinals? Brian Urlacher has an off-season home in the Phoenix area. Does that work? So does Lance Briggs. Bottom line, with the Giants, Eagles and Jets reportedly in the mix for Boldin, the Bears need to act quickly. If you have any doubts that the Bears could pull this off, just look at who will likely be starting under center for them in 2009.

Jeff Dickerson's Blog

http://espn.go.com/chicago/columns/blog?po...;name=dickerson

Lower asking price puts Boldin in play

With the price down to a 2nd-rounder and players, the Bears could make an offer for Anquan Boldin

April 24, 2009, 2:58 PM

By: Jeff Dickerson

The question has never been whether the Bears want Anquan Boldin. Rather, do the Bears have enough to get Anquan Boldin? In light of the recent report by ESPN's Sal Paolantonio, the answer to the second question may be "yes." Two sources tell Paolantonio that Arizona has lowered its demands, asking now for a second-rounder plus other (likely player) considerations. Of course, the team that acquires Boldin must also rip up his old contract, but the Bears have ample space under the cap to accommodate such a transaction.

Money should not be an issue. Parting with a second-round pick is also acceptable. The only remaining question: Do the Bears have the player/players to satisfy the Cardinals? Brian Urlacher has an off-season home in the Phoenix area. Does that work? So does Lance Briggs. Bottom line, with the Giants, Eagles and Jets reportedly in the mix for Boldin, the Bears need to act quickly. If you have any doubts that the Bears could pull this off, just look at who will likely be starting under center for them in 2009.

Lance Briggs? Is JD taking some crazy pills?

Lance Briggs? Is JD taking some crazy pills?

A couple of there needs are CB and TE. How about our second round pick and Vasher and Clark. Vasher still has a skill set and may be attractive to them, and Clark can block and still has a couple of years left in him. We have Davis to fill in at TE and Graham to take over the left CB slot and draft another CB for some depth. We have the money under the cap to sign Boldin.

Cutler is the franchise guy now. Getting him Boldin benefits him and if it allows you to hold onto your 2nd round draft pick you do it, imo. Boldin >>> Urlacher to the Bears for the next 5 years.

If in fact you blame the scheme for Urlachers struggles than I ask you, is the scheme changing? Lovie is running the same defense Babich did. The play calling will be different but the scheme, very much the same. Urlacher is slower, less strong, etc, and as a guy who fundementally was never the greatest linebacker (ie, he relied heavily on his pure athletism), the writing is on the wall that he won't be that productive player in his thirties, imo.

The point is this: trading Urlacher allows you to hold onto your 2nd-round pick, except that (by your logic) you then have to spend that pick getting a replacement for Urlacher. Moreover, given the relatively poor crop of 4-3 middle linebackers this year, that replacement is going to be a LOT worse than Urlacher. So you effectively lose both the 2nd and the late-rounder in the trade, and you downgrade from Urlacher to Darry Beckwith or somebody. I'll pass.

Now, if we could send just the 2nd and a conditional pick next year, I'd be all over it.

A couple of there needs are CB and TE. How about our second round pick and Vasher and Clark. Vasher still has a skill set and may be attractive to them, and Clark can block and still has a couple of years left in him. We have Davis to fill in at TE and Graham to take over the left CB slot and draft another CB for some depth. We have the money under the cap to sign Boldin.

lol Why would they want our trash?

Guys. there's no way this happens. It makes too much sense. We won't give up enough to get him. Too many teams want him more than us. Jerry would never pull the trigger on this kind of deal. Not going to happen.

(Hey, that's what I was saying when Cutler was on the table. Maybe lightning can strike twice...)

The point is this: trading Urlacher allows you to hold onto your 2nd-round pick, except that (by your logic) you then have to spend that pick getting a replacement for Urlacher. Moreover, given the relatively poor crop of 4-3 middle linebackers this year, that replacement is going to be a LOT worse than Urlacher. So you effectively lose both the 2nd and the late-rounder in the trade, and you downgrade from Urlacher to Darry Beckwith or somebody. I'll pass.

Now, if we could send just the 2nd and a conditional pick next year, I'd be all over it.

I would rather have a young LB like Lauranatis plus Bolden than Urlacher and Boldin. Financially its smarter, age wise its smarter, etc. However, I do see your point.

PASS ON THIS DEAL. He's not worth $9mil/yr and giving up a 2nd Rd pick or Urlacher. If Urlacher's injuries and age are slowing him down the same thing is happening to Boldin. As far the value of those two players to their respective teams I'll say this:

When Urlacher is off the field our defense is noticeably worse. When Boldin is off the field the Cards offense keeps putting up points and getting to the Superbowl. If Boldin didn't have his injury history (only one complete season in his career) then it might be a better deal. I'd also be more in favor of it if he were coming in to be our complementary #2 WR instead of our #1, or at least if we had that bigger WR who was a downfield threat. We don't have that and so there's an opportunity cost in givng up that pick for an older player. Likewise, we have another opportunity cost when we give him that huge contract money that should go to a better player.

PASS ON THIS DEAL. He's not worth $9mil/yr and giving up a 2nd Rd pick or Urlacher. If Urlacher's injuries and age are slowing him down the same thing is happening to Boldin. As far the value of those two players to their respective teams I'll say this:

When Urlacher is off the field our defense is noticeably worse. When Boldin is off the field the Cards offense keeps putting up points and getting to the Superbowl. If Boldin didn't have his injury history (only one complete season in his career) then it might be a better deal. I'd also be more in favor of it if he were coming in to be our complementary #2 WR instead of our #1, or at least if we had that bigger WR who was a downfield threat. We don't have that and so there's an opportunity cost in givng up that pick for an older player. Likewise, we have another opportunity cost when we give him that huge contract money that should go to a better player.

Boldin was leading the NFL in everything when he went down with that injury. He's legitamitely one of the top WR in the league when healthy. He's a TD scoring machine and he AUTOMATICALLY makes Hester even more dangerous as a deep threat. If you line up Boldin/Hester/Olsen/Forte with Cutler as your QB, you're going to have one of the best offenses in the league.

If he's not worth $9 million, then I don't know who is. The people who slurp Fitzgerald are hilarious. Is he great? Absolutely. But Boldin missed 4 games and still only finished with 7 less receptions, 300 less yards, and 1 less TD. If you have the opportunity to get Boldin for a 2nd rounder, you do it and run away giggling like a little girl.

I don't think people realize how DYNAMIC our offense could be with Boldin. Obviously you have Cutler, a Pro Bowl QB back there behind what should be a good offensive line. You have Boldin as your #1 receiver, a Pro Bowler and a stud. Hester lines up on the opposite side, a deep threat with enormous potential. And you have Bennett in the slot, who Cutler has a LOT of confidence in. Then you have Olsen, a premier pass-catching TE and Clark who isn't too shabby himself. Not to mention you have a DAMN good RB in Forte who is fantastic catching out of the backfield. You kidding me!?!?

You're adding Cutler, Boldin, Pace, and Schaffer/Omiyale to an offense that scored 23.4 points per game last season and finished 9-7. And they COULD have been 12-4 or 13-3 if not for some stupid late-game breakdowns. Yes please.

I don't think this is still a possibility. Unless the trade is made this morning and Boldin gets on a plane to come take a physical, there simply isn't enough time to get the deal done before the pick.

Hey AZ54 - Doesn't Boldin have some kind of degenerative hip issue?