Lions: Kevin Smith predicting playoffs

adam

On his personal blog, Smith34.com, Detroit Lions running back Kevin Smith predicted, no wait, promised the Lions will make the NFL Playoffs in 2009. It makes you wonder, did he watch the video tape?

"I won't make a prediction about how many games we're going to win, but I will say this: We will definitely make the playoffs this season.

"Believe it or not we weren't far off last year. Almost every game we could have won, we were one play or one player short. Except for Tennessee on Thanksgiving, they just came out and beat us to sleep. They manhandled us, but nobody else did.''

The Lions weren't far off? They were 0-16.

10 losses by more 10 points with 5 of those by 20 or more. Pretty funny stuff.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Li...?urn=nfl,162347

Every year we see someone on the Lions idiotically predict the playoffs for them. It's one thing to be confident and believe you will, but when you make statements like "We weren't far off, and we will definitely make the playoffs this year" you go directly into the douchebag file.

Every year we see someone on the Lions idiotically predict the playoffs for them. It's one thing to be confident and believe you will, but when you make statements like "We weren't far off, and we will definitely make the playoffs this year" you go directly into the douchebag file.

It use to be QB Kitna making bold predictions in preseason & WR Williams during the season. Now that they are both in DAL I guess Smith feels he needs to fill the void.

I would be shocked if they finished above .500.

Yeah, 9 games seems more than they could manage, but I wouldn't be THAT surprised to see them go 7-9 or even 8-8. On paper, they've got more than enough defense to be competitive, and Calvin Johnson put up 1300 yards and a dozen touchdowns on LAST year's Lions - who knows what he'll do with even a modicum of improvement on offense? Really, if they can cobble together a decent offensive line, they'll have a workable offense, and their defense looks a little better than league-average. I think they should be right there in the middle. They still might finish last in the NFC North, just because of how much the rest of the division has improved, but it could be a 7-9 last instead of an 0-16 last.