THE BEST WR YOU HAVE SEEN ON THE BEARS

lemonej

I'm doing this to see just where everyone is at in terms how they view the Bears' WRs. I go back to the 60's and have actually saw Johnny Morris play but taking him out of the equation I'm hard pressed to find a guy who I could say is second to Morris. We have had tandems or individuals that have had great seasons but if you twist my arm here is where I would go with rankings after Morris:

1 Dennis McKinnon he was a smaller version of Hines Ward and would block just as good as he would catch the ball.

2. Dick Gordon he was one of the other players that came from the 1965 draft that netted Sayers and Butkus. His flamboyant lifestyle was his downfall but he did actually make the pro bowl one year.

3 Marcus Robinson this guy had one of the greatest years a Bear WR has ever had but the problem was he was a late bloomer. I believed the Bears are still looking for a WR with his size and speed.

4 Willie Gault world class speed and game changing return ability he would stretch defenses and make defenses keep their safeties back out of the box.

5 Tom Waddle after being cut by the Bears 5 times there was no WR besides McKinnon that had more heart than Waddle. You see him now on NFL Network and Pro Football Weekly joking about his carrer but he was never afraid to go over the middle.

6 Marty Booker this former QB did a lot as far as YAC in his first 3 seasons with the Bears and he actually has tthe record for most consecutive 90+ catch seasons.

7 Bo Rather back during the 70's he along with George Farmer were the Bears steadiest performers at the position.

Not so Honorable Mention

Ken Margerum If he could just stay on his feet he might have ranked higher.

Ike Hill good return man but nothing else.

Musin Mohammad/Bernard Berrian this inside outside tandem we basically showed the door when it was time to pay them.

Jeff Graham after he was acquired from Pittsburgh I said "Who?" then he started catching passes from Erik Kramer and he became one of my favorites. He just doesn't have a big body of work for me to rank him higher.

I'm partial to Robinson...

I also think Engram and Conway were pretty darn good.

I'm doing this to see just where everyone is at in terms how they view the Bears' WRs. I go back to the 60's and have actually saw Johnny Morris play but taking him out of the equation I'm hard pressed to find a guy who I could say is second to Morris. We have had tandems or individuals that have had great seasons but if you twist my arm here is where I would go with rankings after Morris:

1 Dennis McKinnon he was a smaller version of Hines Ward and would block just as good as he would catch the ball.

2. Dick Gordon he was one of the other players that came from the 1965 draft that netted Sayers and Butkus. His flamboyant lifestyle was his downfall but he did actually make the pro bowl one year.

3 Marcus Robinson this guy had one of the greatest years a Bear WR has ever had but the problem was he was a late bloomer. I believed the Bears are still looking for a WR with his size and speed.

4 Willie Gault world class speed and game changing return ability he would stretch defenses and make defenses keep their safeties back out of the box.

5 Tom Waddle after being cut by the Bears 5 times there was no WR besides McKinnon that had more heart than Waddle. You see him now on NFL Network and Pro Football Weekly joking about his carrer but he was never afraid to go over the middle.

6 Marty Booker this former QB did a lot as far as YAC in his first 3 seasons with the Bears and he actually has tthe record for most consecutive 90+ catch seasons.

7 Bo Rather back during the 70's he along with George Farmer were the Bears steadiest performers at the position.

Not so Honorable Mention

Musin Mohammad/Bernard Berrian this inside outside tandem we basically showed the door when it was time to pay them.

Jeff Graham after he was acquired from Pittsburgh I said "Who?" then he started catching passes from Erik Kramer and he became one of my favorites. He just doesn't have a big body of work for me to rank him higher.

Over one season, I have to go with Marcus Robinsion. Than I'd have Curtis Conway, Marty Booker, and Jeff Graham.

The best WR we had on the Bears was Kennan McCardell, unfortunately didnt stay long enough to show it here. The Jaguars had to suffer with his carrer.

The best WR we had on the Bears was Kennan McCardell, unfortunately didnt stay long enough to show it here. The Jaguars had to suffer with his carrer.

The question was about who you actually saw play for the Bears. I'm sure there are some fans in Dallas who think the same way you do about McCardell since he was on their roster first.

In my lifetime (19 years), Marcus Robinson, Marty Booker, Curtis Conway, Bobby Engram, Bernard Berrian, Eddie Kennison.

Eww.

Hey guys I overlooked another guy who actually should have been mentioned and that is Ricky Proehl. When he was playing here he was the go to guy and he IMO had a decent NFL career.

1 - Bobby Engram (best possession receiver that I have seen play for the Bears - should never have been cut)

2 - Marty Booker (a possession receiver who was also a home run threat)

3 - Tom Waddle (all heart)

4 - Marcus Robinson (great guy - injuries dampered his career here)

Peace :dabears

1 - Bobby Engram (best possession receiver that I have seen play for the Bears - should never have been cut)

2 - Marty Booker (a possession receiver who was also a home run threat)

3 - Tom Waddle (all heart)

4 - Marcus Robinson (great guy - injuries dampered his career here)

My my my, how could we forget about Johnny Morris? From 62-65, he was incredible for that time period and Flanker is considered a receiver, it's just now called slot. But since the question was the best I've seen, he was the best I've seen in person. He certainly belongs up there with any of the guys you've mentioned. I'll bet he holds up against any receiver the Bears had.

My my my, how could we forget about Johnny Morris? From 62-65, he was incredible for that time period and Flanker is considered a receiver, it's just now called slot. But since the question was the best I've seen, he was the best I've seen in person. He certainly belongs up there with any of the guys you've mentioned. I'll bet he holds up against any receiver the Bears had.

I know Morris was the best but I never got to see him play.

Glad to see Bobby Engram getting some love. Whenever I start a Bears franchise in Madden, I always bring him back to Chicago: Engram at split end, Berrian at flanker, and Hester in the slot.

One other giuy never mentioned is Wendell Davis. He played only briefly due to injury, but when he played, he looked darn good.

Any Gentry love?

Not so Honorable Mention

One other giuy never mentioned is Wendell Davis. He played only briefly due to injury, but when he played, he looked darn good.

Any Gentry love?

Wendell blew out both of his knees on that horrible carpet in Philly. I hope he received a settlement from the league for that. They should have never allowed Philly to keep the field that way.

I liked Proehl, but didn't he only play for the bears one season? In a career that spanned 17 seasons, I am not sure I would count one season w/ the bears as being a "Bears WR".

Hey guys I overlooked another guy who actually should have been mentioned and that is Ricky Proehl. When he was playing here he was the go to guy and he IMO had a decent NFL career.

I was a huge MRob fan, but I am not sure how much he was "burried".

As I recall, he was very raw to begin with, and was shipped out to NFL Europe, where he was impressive.

His first season on the bears roster, we had Engram and Conway, and played a very run oriented system, often using two TE formations. It was in only his 2nd NFL season he put up 1,400 yards.

But after that season, he began to suffer injuries. On top of that, we moved to QBs who didn't have the arm, and were looking to make shorter passes. Again, as I recall, while MRob was a terror on go routes, the knock on him was he was afraid to go over the middle, limiting what he could do in a less explosive system.

I loved MRob, and would agree that he was among the best talented WRs for the bears. At the same time, he himself was a huge reason (injuries, beginning very raw and lack of developing a rounded game) for his lack of long term success.

I was reluctant to list Robinson higher since he was buried on the depth chart by Wannie and supposedly he was a bad practice player.

My all time greats are Morris, Ditka and Waddle. Ditka would lay the lumber on folks after the catch and Waddle, well, what can you say?

As I recall, he was very raw to begin with, and was shipped out to NFL Europe, where he was impressive.

His first season on the bears roster, we had Engram and Conway, and played a very run oriented system, often using two TE formations. It was in only his 2nd NFL season he put up 1,400 yards.

But after that season, he began to suffer injuries. On top of that, we moved to QBs who didn't have the arm, and were looking to make shorter passes. Again, as I recall, while MRob was a terror on go routes, the knock on him was he was afraid to go over the middle, limiting what he could do in a less explosive system.

I loved MRob, and would agree that he was among the best talented WRs for the bears. At the same time, he himself was a huge reason (injuries, beginning very raw and lack of developing a rounded game) for his lack of long term success.

World Bowl MVP

Any Gentry love?

I like Wendell but he along with Brad Muster are pushing Grossman and Haynes as the worst two first round picks in Bears history when the team had two first rounders. Of course the best is Butkus and Sayers. The debate for second best is in 79 Hampton and Al Harris and in 83 Covert and Gault. The 3/4th best would be Trace Armstrong and Donnell Woolford.

NFO thats my point exactly why was he raw? He did not get a look until a new coaching staff came in. At that time our most reliable receiver was Engram because Conway was not a polished receiver either.. Who was the TEs, I remember Keith Jennings and Chris Gedney and a guy who wore number 86 who's name I can't place that was split out wide most of the time.(Help me out on the name he came from Stanford I believe) Robinson was drafted in 97 in the 4th round out of South Carolina State. He was basically a track man playing football there. So most of his early time under John Shoop he did nothing and then under Crowton he Booker and Conway all did pretty well stats wise.

My all time greats are Morris, Ditka and Waddle. Ditka would lay the lumber on folks after the catch and Waddle, well, what can you say?

Hey Chile reread my post where I took Johnny Morris out of the equation. I hope you have noticed there are a lot of guys being mentioned are from the 90's and you and I are talking about a Flanker Back. I made no mention of Bo Rather, Ricky Watts, Marcus Anderson, Charlie Wade, George Farmer and James Scott.

Hey Chile reread my post where I took Johnny Morris out of the equation. I hope you have noticed there are a lot of guys being mentioned are from the 90's and you and I are talking about a Flanker Back. I made no mention of Bo Rather, Ricky Watts, Marcus Anderson, Charlie Wade, George Farmer and James Scott.

Yep, you are right. I just remember when he had 97 receptions in 1964, which was big. And that was the year that Butkus and Sayers were rookies.

I don't blame Davis's situation becasue of injury... Muster at least tried. We had so many worse 1st round picks...just not 2 in the same round as often.

I like Wendell but he along with Brad Muster are pushing Grossman and Haynes as the worst two first round picks in Bears history when the team had two first rounders. Of course the best is Butkus and Sayers. The debate for second best is in 79 Hampton and Al Harris and in 83 Covert and Gault. The 3/4th best would be Trace Armstrong and Donnell Woolford.

I would have to Give Gordon love, I beleive he was a pro bowler with the bears. I know he was featured in the 70's in the NFL mag at that time. Concanon throwing the ball was not bad either , so I would hav to say.

1. Morris

2 Ditka

3.Gordon

4 Mckinnon

5. waddle