Marshall leaves camp

adam

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12581741

Wearing a dark T-shirt and dark athletic shorts, Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall walked into Dove Valley headquarters Friday afternoon for a private meeting with team owner Pat Bowlen.

Marshall walked out a little more than an hour later carrying packed boxes to his car before driving away from the players' parking lot without comment, leaving behind this dark possibility: Has he caught his last pass for the Broncos?

Anything must be considered possible in an offseason in which the Broncos have already said goodbye to star quarterback Jay Cutler. Only this time, don't blame new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels if Cutler's former favorite receiver follows him through the exit doors.

I thought this was interesting and sort of related to Cutler.

I have the same dream, except it's next year, Mike Shannahan is our HC, and we sign Marshall... By the way, Marshall say the light and has reformed his life, but is still a beast on the football field.

Guest TerraTor
I know it is VERY UNLIKELY to happen, but wouldn't it be sweet to have Marshall join Cutler in Chicago?

Like I said, just dreaming.

wed be automatic NFC suberbowl favorite

wed be automatic NFC suberbowl favorite

I agree.

I love our group of WRs. I know the coaches & JA do as well. However, it is so obvious to me at least that if we could add a WR in the likes of Burress or Marshall, our offense would be HUGE. Assuming our defense rebounds, and I am confident it will, we would have a tremendous chance to return to the SB.

With that in mind, if they really wanted to trade him, we have the ammunition. We are absolutely loaded at LB and could package one with a draft pick if necessary to go after Marshall.

We have Briggs & Urlacher, both IMO are untouchable. Now you have J Williams playing lights out in preseason, a proven cover 2 LB in Pisa, a great looking prospect in Freeman, Roach & HH (who if healthy could be a solid backup). Denver is desperately trying to rebuild on defense. I have to believe a package could be set up to satisfy them.

I have the same dream, except it's next year, Mike Shannahan is our HC, and we sign Marshall... By the way, Marshall say the light and has reformed his life, but is still a beast on the football field.

Only way Shany comes here if this year absolutley bombs, I do not see that happening. But like Pix said a package deal would probably get him here.

Interesting that Marshall is upset about either his contract, or his injury. If it's his contract, he might be pushing for a new deal now using last year's stats before he gets a season with Orton at the helm, and a new system he doesn't know so well. However, that would be an interesting position because regardless of what happens this season he'd be a FA and you have to think the open market would still treat him well.

Or he's just upset about his injury and he is fully intent on rehabbing elsewhere. Stay tuned. There's no way Denver will send him to another team. To do so would be suicide for all future negotiations with players.

Also, we could lose a DL, and it wouldnot hurt so much...

I agree.

I love our group of WRs. I know the coaches & JA do as well. However, it is so obvious to me at least that if we could add a WR in the likes of Burress or Marshall, our offense would be HUGE. Assuming our defense rebounds, and I am confident it will, we would have a tremendous chance to return to the SB.

With that in mind, if they really wanted to trade him, we have the ammunition. We are absolutely loaded at LB and could package one with a draft pick if necessary to go after Marshall.

We have Briggs & Urlacher, both IMO are untouchable. Now you have J Williams playing lights out in preseason, a proven cover 2 LB in Pisa, a great looking prospect in Freeman, Roach & HH (who if healthy could be a solid backup). Denver is desperately trying to rebuild on defense. I have to believe a package could be set up to satisfy them.

Also, we could lose a DL, and it wouldnot hurt so much...

Maybe next years 2nd and Idonije(the perfect size for a 3-4 DE). The problem is McDaniels keeps losing up scale players and the fanbase will be out for blood, since winning will be difficult there first year. I dont see it happening.

Maybe next years 2nd and Idonije(the perfect size for a 3-4 DE). The problem is McDaniels keeps losing up scale players and the fanbase will be out for blood, since winning will be difficult there first year. I dont see it happening.

Yeah, I definitely don't think we have the ammunition to get a trade done for Marshall. Also, the guy's a liability as far as his off-the-field problems. I'm not saying I wouldn't take his production on the field any day of the week, but I don't see any reason to think he'll stop having run-ins with the law and getting suspended by Goodell. And it's not like he's getting arrested for pot possession or something, it's for domestic violence. I don't know if I want a guy like that on my team. If he can get into some kind of counseling or anger management program and really demonstrate that he's turned it around, then sure.

But then there's the whole question of what we'd have to offer in a trade. Apart from next year's second, I don't know that we have much to send to a 3-4 team. Maybe Mark Anderson could make the switch to 3-4 OLB? He's got the build and speed for it, but I have no idea whether he can drop into coverage. I don't think just the second next year would get it done, and we don't really have any positions of depth that we can afford to trade from.

Yeah, I definitely don't think we have the ammunition to get a trade done for Marshall. Also, the guy's a liability as far as his off-the-field problems. I'm not saying I wouldn't take his production on the field any day of the week, but I don't see any reason to think he'll stop having run-ins with the law and getting suspended by Goodell. And it's not like he's getting arrested for pot possession or something, it's for domestic violence. I don't know if I want a guy like that on my team. If he can get into some kind of counseling or anger management program and really demonstrate that he's turned it around, then sure.

But then there's the whole question of what we'd have to offer in a trade. Apart from next year's second, I don't know that we have much to send to a 3-4 team. Maybe Mark Anderson could make the switch to 3-4 OLB? He's got the build and speed for it, but I have no idea whether he can drop into coverage. I don't think just the second next year would get it done, and we don't really have any positions of depth that we can afford to trade from.

Although the article says don't blame the new HC McDaniels. I am questioning what is really going on there. I lived in Denver during an entire football season and I know for a fact that if they lose Marshall and Cutler in the same year that all fans and even media would want McDaniels head or at least on the next flight out of the city to never return. Those fans are really passionate about there football there and I can't imagine what they would do if this where to occur.

Only this time, don't blame new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels if Cutler's former favorite receiver follows him through the exit doors

McDaniels should be held accountable for everything this offseason IMO. Marshall may have his legal problems, but I am sure he also recognizes that his probowl QB was pushed out the door and now he has to hope that Orton can provide the same production.

More

Brandon Marshall, who met with Broncos owner Pat Bowlen and coach Josh McDaniel Friday night, did not show at the second day of mandatory minicamp Saturday, according to a report in the Denver Post.

The wide receiver is recovering from offseason hip surgery, but is still obligated to attend team meetings and work with medical personnel on his rehab.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4256679

Aaasuming it's true, I think it makes a HUGE difference.

If he said it before Cutler came here, the perception could be that of that the QB sucks. Now that Denver has our old "Sucky" QB, and Chicago now his his kickass one...would that not make Chicago more attractive?

I'm not convinced we could really swing the trade...but I just feel like anything is possible this off-season...

Hasn't Marshall already said he didn't like Chicago? I mean, that was without Cutler here, but still...

If he said it before Cutler came here, the perception could be that of that the QB sucks. Now that Denver has our old "Sucky" QB, and Chicago now his his kickass one...would that not make Chicago more attractive?

I'm not convinced we could really swing the trade...but I just feel like anything is possible this off-season...

I think, were we hypothetically to trade for Marshall, it'd have to be a three-way trade with another 3-4 team. Here's my pie-in-the-sky scenario, ignoring Marshall's off-the-field problems for the sake of argument:

Chicago sends Nathan Vasher to Cleveland.

Cleveland sends Shaun Smith (NT/DE) to Denver.

Chicago sends our 2010 2nd-round pick and Israel Idonije to Denver.

Denver sends Brandon Marshall to Chicago.

Here's my reasoning: Cleveland has terrible problems at corner, but pretty good depth on the defensive line after acquiring Kenyon Coleman from the Jets. Their starting d-line in 2009 is probably Coleman-Shaun Rogers-Corey Williams, with Robaire Smith as a backup. That leaves Shaun Smith without a major contributing role. He's also out of favor with Cleveland's current coaching staff, since he apparently punched Brady Quinn in the face. At corner, they're heading into the season with Brandon McDonald, Eric Wright, and Rod Hood as the top 3. Vasher would be right in the mix for a starting job there, and they'd be giving up a guy who's not going to start for them on the d-line.

Denver, meanwhile, is in the middle of a 3-4 switch with nobody to play on the defensive line. They were running one of the most undersized d-lines in the league in 2008, and all their d-line talent (Tim Crowder, Elvis Dumervil, Jarvis Moss, plus their first-round pick Robert Ayers) has been moved to OLB. They're in for MAJOR problems in this first year as a 3-4, unless they somehow acquire at least a couple of 3-4 linemen.

Shaun Smith would immediately start for Denver at nose tackle: he goes 6'2' 325 lbs, and is a pretty stout run defender. He's talented enough to be an average to above-average NT, and he's only 27, so he could hold down the spot for a while. Idonije could add a little weight and be a perfectly good 3-4 end. He's got the height, arm length, and run-stopping ability to be a good base end. Denver would give up a genuine #1 receiver, but they'd only have to solve one position on their defensive line, which is much more doable than fixing all three. They'd also get a day 1 draft pick for the future, which would be useful as they continue to switch to their new defensive scheme.

Chicago would have to give up Idonije, Vasher, and a 2nd-rounder. That's a lot. But Gilbert should be able to step in for Idonije as a rotational LE/DT. They'd really be gambling that DJ Moore could step in for Vasher, but the staff seems really high on him, and he's got a similar skillset. They'd risk an adjustment period on defense, but Chicago would get a 100-catch, 1300-yard receiver who has an established rapport with their new QB. That might be a deal worth doing.

Hasn't Marshall already said he didn't like Chicago? I mean, that was without Cutler here, but still...

In an interview he did after the trade, he said something like "I've only been to Chicago once, and didn't like it." The only time he came to Chicago was in 07, and it was a really shitty day out and the Bears beat the shit out of the Broncos.

I'm sure he'd have no problem coming here if we wanted him and offered him a contract he is looking for.

Yeah you're probably right. Then again, we could wait until next offseason when he's an UFA.

In an interview he did after the trade, he said something like "I've only been to Chicago once, and didn't like it." The only time he came to Chicago was in 07, and it was a really shitty day out and the Bears beat the shit out of the Broncos.

I'm sure he'd have no problem coming here if we wanted him and offered him a contract he is looking for.

Didn't the Bears win that game 37-34 in OT?

I think, were we hypothetically to trade for Marshall, it'd have to be a three-way trade with another 3-4 team. Here's my pie-in-the-sky scenario, ignoring Marshall's off-the-field problems for the sake of argument:

Chicago sends Nathan Vasher to Cleveland.

Cleveland sends Shaun Smith (NT/DE) to Denver.

Chicago sends our 2010 2nd-round pick and Israel Idonije to Denver.

Denver sends Brandon Marshall to Chicago.

Here's my reasoning: Cleveland has terrible problems at corner, but pretty good depth on the defensive line after acquiring Kenyon Coleman from the Jets. Their starting d-line in 2009 is probably Coleman-Shaun Rogers-Corey Williams, with Robaire Smith as a backup. That leaves Shaun Smith without a major contributing role. He's also out of favor with Cleveland's current coaching staff, since he apparently punched Brady Quinn in the face. At corner, they're heading into the season with Brandon McDonald, Eric Wright, and Rod Hood as the top 3. Vasher would be right in the mix for a starting job there, and they'd be giving up a guy who's not going to start for them on the d-line.

Denver, meanwhile, is in the middle of a 3-4 switch with nobody to play on the defensive line. They were running one of the most undersized d-lines in the league in 2008, and all their d-line talent (Tim Crowder, Elvis Dumervil, Jarvis Moss, plus their first-round pick Robert Ayers) has been moved to OLB. They're in for MAJOR problems in this first year as a 3-4, unless they somehow acquire at least a couple of 3-4 linemen.

Shaun Smith would immediately start for Denver at nose tackle: he goes 6'2' 325 lbs, and is a pretty stout run defender. He's talented enough to be an average to above-average NT, and he's only 27, so he could hold down the spot for a while. Idonije could add a little weight and be a perfectly good 3-4 end. He's got the height, arm length, and run-stopping ability to be a good base end. Denver would give up a genuine #1 receiver, but they'd only have to solve one position on their defensive line, which is much more doable than fixing all three. They'd also get a day 1 draft pick for the future, which would be useful as they continue to switch to their new defensive scheme.

Chicago would have to give up Idonije, Vasher, and a 2nd-rounder. That's a lot. But Gilbert should be able to step in for Idonije as a rotational LE/DT. They'd really be gambling that DJ Moore could step in for Vasher, but the staff seems really high on him, and he's got a similar skillset. They'd risk an adjustment period on defense, but Chicago would get a 100-catch, 1300-yard receiver who has an established rapport with their new QB. That might be a deal worth doing.

Did you mean Shaun Rogers?

Otherwise, that's pretty interesting.

Did you mean Shaun Rogers?

Otherwise, that's pretty interesting.

No, Shaun Smith: defensive tackle out of South Carolina, used to play for the Saints and the Bengals. For whatever reason, the Browns have two nose tackles named Shaun.

Anyway, there's no way the Browns are letting Shaun Rogers go, and he'd be in another league in terms of trade value. Rogers is an All-Pro nose tackle in a division where you absolutely have to have one. Shaun Smith, though, could probably start for some 3-4 teams; it's just that on the Browns, he's stuck behind Rogers.

On a sidenote: I'm incredibly glad that Shaun Rogers is out of the NFC North. That guy is a freak. I was just looking back at the Lions-Broncos game back in '07, when Rogers had four QB hits, 2 and a half sacks, a pass broken up, and an interception that he returned 66 yards for a touchdown. Even on a team like the Lions, he was a monster.

Although the article says don't blame the new HC McDaniels. I am questioning what is really going on there. I lived in Denver during an entire football season and I know for a fact that if they lose Marshall and Cutler in the same year that all fans and even media would want McDaniels head or at least on the next flight out of the city to never return. Those fans are really passionate about there football there and I can't imagine what they would do if this where to occur.

You are correct sir...the only team here that doesn't have a fair weather fan base are the broncos. People would be livid...I can still tell they are pissed about the Cutler deal, although they still comment with Jay Cutler is a whiny bitch (when I can see in their eyes they are NOT looking forward to Orton behind center)