Article on why Bears OL stinks

nfoligno

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=333919&src=148

Hell yes. Can't agree more, as I know Jason will agree as well. You just can not ignore OL in the draft as we have and expect to have a good OL. Adding FAs as we have, you might have a year or two in there where the OL plays well, but it will never see consistency.

I would further argue against the FA route we have gone by pointing out the OL, more than most units, needs time to develop chemistry. When you add older vets who are not expected to have more than a year or so left, you just will not have sustained success. Even if Pace played better, he was a short term solution. It would be one thing if you add veterans like Pace, while also drafting OL to develop, but we have added the veterans w/o drafting the youth. Thus, when the inevitable happens, and the veterans start to nose dive, you do not have anyone waiting in the wings, and have to start all over again.

I read that this morning! Great stuff!

However, since we mortgaged our draft this coming year for Cutler and Gaines Adams...we only have FA to go.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=333919&src=148

Hell yes. Can't agree more, as I know Jason will agree as well. You just can not ignore OL in the draft as we have and expect to have a good OL. Adding FAs as we have, you might have a year or two in there where the OL plays well, but it will never see consistency.

I would further argue against the FA route we have gone by pointing out the OL, more than most units, needs time to develop chemistry. When you add older vets who are not expected to have more than a year or so left, you just will not have sustained success. Even if Pace played better, he was a short term solution. It would be one thing if you add veterans like Pace, while also drafting OL to develop, but we have added the veterans w/o drafting the youth. Thus, when the inevitable happens, and the veterans start to nose dive, you do not have anyone waiting in the wings, and have to start all over again.

I read that this morning! Great stuff!

However, since we mortgaged our draft this coming year for Cutler and Gaines Adams...we only have FA to go.

Your right, I was just thinking about that. We need to spend at least 2 of our draft picks on getting an olinemen and use FA. I think we also need to look at the prospects of possibly moving up in the draft although i know that will probably be pretty tough.

OTs go high in the draft. While OGs can go high, they often slip and slide. Buy an OT in FA, and then draft an OG no lower than the 4th, preferably in the 3rd.

Your right, I was just thinking about that. We need to spend at least 2 of our draft picks on getting an olinemen and use FA. I think we also need to look at the prospects of possibly moving up in the draft although i know that will probably be pretty tough.

The Bears are going to have to pick up one big time FA Olineman on the market, potentially a 2nd quality one as well as spend picks in the draft this year and next year (and again in the future) if they have any remote shot at having a decent oline.

The next question is whether at some point we see Beekman play at center to get an idea of whether he's starting material at that position (since Kreutz is aging).

I was going to post this article too, but figured either Nfo or Jason would beat me too it...this is probably the most damning thing against Angelo in my eyes, and grounds for his termination at the end of this year...

Since 2003, the Bears have had 45 draft picks in the first five rounds. They've used two of those picks on offensive linemen, taking Chris Williams in the first round in 2008 and Josh Beekman in the fourth round in 2007.

In the four years before Beekman was selected, the Bears didn't draft a single offensive linemen with any of their 25 picks in the first five rounds.

It is just plain ridiculous how much he has ignored the Oline and wasted picks on players who are fringe special teamers at best and burger flippers at worst...

Guest TerraTor
I was going to post this article too, but figured either Nfo or Jason would beat me too it...this is probably the most damning thing against Angelo in my eyes, and grounds for his termination at the end of this year...

It is just plain ridiculous how much he has ignored the Oline and wasted picks on players who are fringe special teamers at best and burger flippers at worst...

at least we got Gaines Adams, ya for a 2nd. how friggin terrible

Feels like this guy stole from my mind/blog/calendar/etc.

My signature line has been this way since coming over to this board, partially because it's what I believe in, and partially because I felt the Bears have/had neglected this area of the team for some time. Nice to see everyone finally coming around to the reality of this concept.

Without a sound OL, there is no way a team can properly and thoroughly evaluate skill players (e.g. QB, RB, WR, TE). There simply isn't enough time to make things happen, or to create the holes intended through play design. Let's hope that the Bears' front office realizes this and makes corrections in the offseason. Otherwise, Cutler will have a short career for the Bears.

If you look at the Super Bowl year roster the only OLine starter drafted by the Bears was Kruetz. So this is not something new nor has it always been a weakness. I just think they went this route one too many times and it didn't work out. They took some chances going with Pace and Omiyale, and drafting Williams. The worst case scenario has played out with all three of them not living up to expectations.

But what happened right after the SB season? That is sort of the point. If you try to buy an OL, you "might" be able to quality play for a year, maybe even two, but it is short lived. Even when you hit on a player like Reuben Brown, it doesn't last for long.

Most any player will say that OL as much, or more, than any other unit takes time to develop. It could be a 1/2 season, or even a full year. By the time the OL does begin to gell, and that is only if you "hit" on your FA pickups, the window will already be ready to close. That may not be the end of the world if you are backup up your FA signings w/ draft picks you develop, and who are ready to step in when that veteran is done. But we don't do that. Instead, what we seem to do is wait to do anything until the situation is dire. Many saw the decline of Tait begin, but rather than prepare, we moved him to RT thinking that would be all that was necessary. When that didn't work, we didn't have much of anything to replace him, and had to start all over.

There is nothing wrong w/ looking at FA for OL. The problem is when you rely too heavily on FA. If we had added Pace this year, but also drafted OL, we might be in a better situation to replace him. Instead, we tried to again buy an OL, and ignored OL in the draft. Thus, as those veterans fail, we have no options to replace them.

If you look at the Super Bowl year roster the only OLine starter drafted by the Bears was Kruetz. So this is not something new nor has it always been a weakness. I just think they went this route one too many times and it didn't work out. They took some chances going with Pace and Omiyale, and drafting Williams. The worst case scenario has played out with all three of them not living up to expectations.

Well said.

We just painted outselves in a corner this upcoming off-season with no 1st or 2nd round picks. We'll have no choice but to go after a FA OT/G. And we'll probably have to over-pay for it. But, hopefully they choose youth ad someone that pans out...all the while drafting something in hopefully the 3rd all else being equal. And then next season you prep for drafting OL in the first and second to make up for it. The pendulum needs to swing back...

But what happened right after the SB season? That is sort of the point. If you try to buy an OL, you "might" be able to quality play for a year, maybe even two, but it is short lived. Even when you hit on a player like Reuben Brown, it doesn't last for long.

Most any player will say that OL as much, or more, than any other unit takes time to develop. It could be a 1/2 season, or even a full year. By the time the OL does begin to gell, and that is only if you "hit" on your FA pickups, the window will already be ready to close. That may not be the end of the world if you are backup up your FA signings w/ draft picks you develop, and who are ready to step in when that veteran is done. But we don't do that. Instead, what we seem to do is wait to do anything until the situation is dire. Many saw the decline of Tait begin, but rather than prepare, we moved him to RT thinking that would be all that was necessary. When that didn't work, we didn't have much of anything to replace him, and had to start all over.

There is nothing wrong w/ looking at FA for OL. The problem is when you rely too heavily on FA. If we had added Pace this year, but also drafted OL, we might be in a better situation to replace him. Instead, we tried to again buy an OL, and ignored OL in the draft. Thus, as those veterans fail, we have no options to replace them.

Agreed. I have been on the drafting OL bandwagon for some time. As I grew up playing football in the 70's/80's the coaches always preached that it all began up front. I remember my Dad yelling at the Bears to draft an OL for Walter early in his career. Finks comes in and drafts a stud OL and the rest is history.

Let me add, that we even freaked when Tait retired. We all knew he was done, but were all like "oh shit" "what are we going to do now?" We've tried to make several draft choices work at RB and QB during the Angelo era, but all have trouble thriving. Also the team has had trouble winning the time of possession battle, which is not good for a defensive / cold weather team.

Although I was happy with what we did this off season, it doesn't mean I agree with the philosophy. A couple of seasons ago I had posts titled, "Fix the OL First" and "It all Starts Up Front". It still holds true today and will remain 20 years from now.

There is hope though. Hope that our players feel the heat and rally upon the criticism. Hope that JA and Co are not complete morons when evaluating the talent they bring in. Hope that Hiestand is not a complete buffoon as he has been made out to be. Most of all, hope that this learning / gelling curve is delayed due to all the new peices we have in place. I gotta believe "all of the above" will occur. The extent of improvement mean everyhing to our season.

great article and I agree with most here as I'm oldschool in my thinking on this. The game start upfront on both sides of the ball. If your line (offensive and or defensive) isn't getting the job done the guys behind them have an infinitely more difficult job and the odds of success plummets quickly.

The idea of buying OL works IF you are doing one of of two things A. picking up a guy who has plenty left in the tank and is a good fit for your team providing you stability at a position. or B. bringing in someone to hold the fort at that position while drafting to build with youth so when the vet is ready to step down you have someone waiting in the wings. As pointed out here the Bears have done a infinitely poor job in either respect and justifying their inaction is a stretch either way. However, crying over spilled milk solves nothing and the OL is our spilled milk Angelo can do one of two things maintain the status quo while hoping/praying that it miraculously solves itself or assess the situation as it stands and come up with a real plan to rectify it. Starting by going through position by position who is starting who is on our roster/practice squad, who may be available in FA since we don't have a 1st or a 2nd this coming draft, who may be in the draft that we could target in the third or even if someone falls out of round 2 (falling from round one to where we'll be picking is not a good sign). Evaluate who we have coaching the OL and who we have scouting for OL. IMO this OL should be the uncontested #1 issue to address this coming offseason. If not we are going to get our high priced Pro Bowl QB killed and we'll be in worse shape. Till we fix the front 5 of our Offense the other 6 guys will struggle and we will see this hit and miss offense like we've seen thus far.