Turner gone, Marinelli Won't be DC

azbearsfan

Update on Marinelli. Just heard on ESPN 1000 that Marinelli was discussed as the bears DC, but the team has decided to go elsewhere with that position.

Excellent. I would like Buffalo's interim head coach that just got let go for that job. At OC, I would like a high profile hire. A Mart/Weiss. At QB coach, again, go big or go home. Jeremy Bates would count as big, imo, as would hiring a guy like Jim Zorn.

Let me preface my statement by saying I was hoping for a house cleaning. That being said, what guarentee do we have that, if Cowher is hired next yr, we would be a better football team or win a Superbowl? We have none. No Superbowl winning coach has gone to another team and won a Superbowl. Look at he disaster that Parcells was in Dallas. My point, don't hang your hat on hiring Cowher as the end all, cure all.

Peace :dabears

I want Cowher mostly for his GM he brings with.

Do you think the people in charge with the Bears now will win a super bowl?

Cower is not the end all cure all, but with him you just don't get him as head coach. He has people in line from a team that has been competitive for years for the front office, assistant coaches and so on which no doubt would be an improvement over this team in each area.

No I don't. I am simply noting that hiring Cowher is not a guarentee for anything and a very real possibility exists that 5 yrs down the road (after his hiring), fans would be calling for him to be fired. For the most part, this is what happens in the NFL. Very rarely do coaches retire. They are normally fired. This is not to say I would mind hiring Cowher. I am simply trying to being a realist.

ConnorBear, I agree that Cowher is not the end all answer however, I do like his style and his no-nonsense old school ways. There have been many disappointments with this so called Cover-2 defense and I think we need someone who sees how to maybe get us back to the old grind it out attitude with some hard hitting "46" smash mouth thrown in for good measure. I just think that it will be better than what we have and unless we bring back one of our former players who is having success somewhere else, I think Cowher is a good choice at this point.

No. I don't think so. That is frankly a poor way to run the team. If we suck again and fire Lovie, then you basically fire everyone. A new HC needs to hire his own staff. Too many problems come up when you have a HC that is forced to keep/hire an assistant he didn't want. Its one thing when Dungy is told he has to keep Indy's OC. In that situation, you have a highly successful OC. But if our team stinks, I doubt any assistant (minus maybe Toub) gets the same level of respect.

What could be interesting is, the bigger profile of the assistant we hire, the greater the potential he could be Lovie's eventual replacement.

Ok, this is a 100% crazy thought but I'll throw it out there just for fun:

Could the bears be putting coordinators in place that would work with a NEW head coach after next season?

ConnorBear, I agree that Cowher is not the end all answer however, I do like his style and his no-nonsense old school ways. There have been many disappointments with this so called Cover-2 defense and I think we need someone who sees how to maybe get us back to the old grind it out attitude with some hard hitting "46" smash mouth thrown in for good measure. I just think that it will be better than what we have and unless we bring back one of our former players who is having success somewhere else, I think Cowher is a good choice at this point.

agree

No I don't. I am simply noting that hiring Cowher is not a guarentee for anything and a very real possibility exists that 5 yrs down the road (after his hiring), fans would be calling for him to be fired. For the most part, this is what happens in the NFL. Very rarely do coaches retire. They are normally fired. This is not to say I would mind hiring Cowher. I am simply trying to being a realist.

Duh! Is there anyone who is a guarentee for anything? If so please let all of us know,please. Since you know more than all of us, and are so real.

Duh! Is there anyone who is a guarentee for anything? If so please let all of us know,please. Since you know more than all of us, and are so real.

Dude, relax. Just giving my opinion. If you don't like it, stop reading my posts. I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you.

Dude, relax. Just giving my opinion. If you don't like it, stop reading my posts. I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you.

Your always trying to correct posts or write something that seems to devalue others opinions. You probably do it without knowing or are trying to be superior. You've done it with some of my posts. I am relaxed knowing you read this, now just try to be cooler in your reply's. I just replied to your post, similar to how you reply to others. END

Your always trying to correct posts or write something that seems to devalue others opinions. You probably do it without knowing or are trying to be superior. You've done it with some of my posts. I am relaxed knowing you read this, now just try to be cooler in your reply's. I just replied to your post, similar to how you reply to others. END

Let me say this sincerely - thank you for the input. If I have offended you or anyone else in anyway in the past that was never my intention and I apologize. I will leave it at that.

From what I've seen, Connor is always polite and would only devalue your opinion if needed. If you don't want your post corrected, don't make mistakes. Accuracy is appreciated.

Harry is gone! :stick

We all pretty much knew Lovie would be back because of the contract issue $$$$. I want to know if he's been stripped of his authority to make personnel decisions. Not saying he shouldn't still have input but this role needs to go back to a sole final authority. If things get worse then it will be clear JA heads out the door too. I don't want anything to cloud that issue!

Along the same lines I know we'll need to hire a DC who will more or less run something similar to Lovie's scheme but I hope JA has input on the hire and he enforces that the guy has enough autonomy to do things differently in a better way like Rivera did, (similar to how Turner had the reins of the offense). I can't stomach watching another year of Lovie's give-up-the-slant-give-up-the-RB-dumpoff D. It might be hard to believe but a cover 2 defense can done properly to where guys are covered on passing plays.

On offense we already know the OC will have the same autonomy Turner did. If there's one thing Lovie's year as a DC has proven it's that he doesn't know enough about football to call a defense much less an offense. I hope we get one of either Martz or Weis. I was never a huge fan of Martz but at this point we have a one-year job for someone to fix things and IMO we need proven successful experience. Both of these guys have the resume that qualifies but are damaged enough that they'd likely take the chance on one year job to get their name back in the headlines. Plus we have the weapons on offense to be successful now. I think they are more likely to come here if they were offered the possibility of interviewing for the HC job if Lovie leaves after next year. No guarantee other than an interview and no guarantee of even keeping the OC job.

Harry is gone! :stick

We all pretty much knew Lovie would be back because of the contract issue $$$$. I want to know if he's been stripped of his authority to make personnel decisions. Not saying he shouldn't still have input but this role needs to go back to a sole final authority. If things get worse then it will be clear JA heads out the door too. I don't want anything to cloud that issue!

Along the same lines I know we'll need to hire a DC who will more or less run something similar to Lovie's scheme but I hope JA has input on the hire and he enforces that the guy has enough autonomy to do things differently in a better way like Rivera did, (similar to how Turner had the reins of the offense). I can't stomach watching another year of Lovie's give-up-the-slant-give-up-the-RB-dumpoff D. It might be hard to believe but a cover 2 defense can done properly to where guys are covered on passing plays.

On offense we already know the OC will have the same autonomy Turner did. If there's one thing Lovie's year as a DC has proven it's that he doesn't know enough about football to call a defense much less an offense. I hope we get one of either Martz or Weis. I was never a huge fan of Martz but at this point we have a one-year job for someone to fix things and IMO we need proven successful experience. Both of these guys have the resume that qualifies but are damaged enough that they'd likely take the chance on one year job to get their name back in the headlines. Plus we have the weapons on offense to be successful now. I think they are more likely to come here if they were offered the possibility of interviewing for the HC job if Lovie leaves after next year. No guarantee other than an interview and no guarantee of even keeping the OC job.

Agreed, except hell no to Martz. I think he's way too full of himself to be effective anymore.