• 60/30/10
    • other (please state)
  2. 2. Keeper options

• keep any 1 player
    • keep any 2 players
    • see option 3 below
    • see option 4 below
    • other

Option 3 for keepers. Keep anyone player and lose draft pick of round that player was drafted in by YOU. No trades. Round 6 cutoff. If you dont want to keep anyone you get a supplementary pick before anyone with a keeper and if there are more than one without than they get ordered by final standings.

Option 4. Same as 3 but if you choose you can keep 2.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you asking for everyone's opinion or just those that participated?

Option 3 for keepers. Keep anyone player and lose draft pick of round that player was drafted in by YOU. No trades. Round 6 cutoff. If you dont want to keep anyone you get a supplementary pick before anyone with a keeper and if there are more than one without than they get ordered by final standings.

Question. When you say, "keep any one player" in the first option, does that imply the loss of a pick, or you simply keep a player w/o any consequence?

I like the idea of one keeper, but feel you almost have to give up a draft pick in the process. I do not like the round 6 cutoff. For me at least, a big part of the whole keeper notion is rewarding the pick of a more unknown player, which is usually drafted later. Often in a keeper league, a team will use some later picks for rookie or young players who have not done much of anything yet on the hope they will develop. That is the key payoff, IMHO, of a keeper league. If you limit it to only the top 6 rounds, you are really only looking at keeper players who were likely already good.

So I am not sure this is what the first option was, but I would vote to keep one player, while giving up a draft pick (say 1 round prior to the round the player was drafted).

There was 160.00 collected. 2 members still need to pay. The pot should be 200.00. I Know Acedthesobrietytest posted on the league site wanting to know how to pay. The options you give for payouts show a pot of 100.00. What is up with this?

Never played Keeper before so let me say that before I make my suggestion:

Let's keep 1 player only.

That player has to be a player you drafted and kept on your roster for the entire season.

You lose the draft pick for whatever round you drafted that player.

Not sure if we would have access to our draft info or this years rosters next year so I am not sure how that would work.

BlueCollarBears I believe is the other team that has not paid. I believe he had a problem with the site and asked for an alternate means of paying but was not responded to.

I paid, I just couldn' tpay through the site & paid direct via paypal

yeah which is why it didn't show up on the leaguesafe site

Gotcha, so 180.00 has been collected and Acedthesobrietytest has posted on the Yahoo league site requesting info on how to pay. Looks like we are in good shape to have all 200.00 collected.

Sorry flea, did not know you paid.

Gotcha, so 180.00 has been collected and Acedthesobrietytest has posted on the Yahoo league site requesting info on how to pay. Looks like we are in good shape to have all 200.00 collected.

Sorry flea, did not know you paid.

Not a problem Pix,though I'd have been as well throwing the $20 in the fire LOL

He paid me. Its % lol. Sorry I didnt clarify. Pix, you know Im not a thief dude. I donated money to prizes and stuff before. Im not trying to rip anyone off.

I trust you, just confused (not unusual for a senile old man - ask bowlingtwig, he can attest to my mental state, or lack there of, lol). I did not realize you were talking about per centages. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I trust you, just confused (not unusual for a senile old man - ask bowlingtwig, he can attest to my mental state, or lack there of, lol). I did not realize you were talking about per centages. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

No worries. I got sidetracked with my other team after this one was mathematically eliminated and assumed I would receive emails or see a post on here when it was over. Sorry flea for not telling everyone you paid too. I just realized you paid 5 too much also. If you stick around it can be a credit for next year or I can send it back.

Pix,

Only comment I would make is, at least in keeper leagues I have played elsewhere, you usually give up a draft pick one round higher than the one you used. The reason for that is two fold.

(a) It prevents teams from keeping 1st round draft picks, which you really do want to avoid. IMHO, you really lose something when a team gets to keep the best players in the league.

(B) You put an added bit of "ouch" factor in the keeper, which makes an owner have to think a bit. I think a key here is 2nd and 3rd round picks. Players in the 2nd and 3rd round are very often studs. Take Reggie Wayne. Lets say you got him in the 2nd round. Well, if you want to keep him, you would have to give up a 1st round pick. That makes you really think about it.

The one round higher rule doesn't really mean much for teams who "hit" on late round picks. If you took a player in the 15th round and have to give up a 14th round pick to keep him, it doesn't mean a whole lot. But what it does do is make owners think a bit extra when it comes to the upper tier players in the game.

For me, personally, keepers leagues are more about rewarding owners who found solid picks later in the draft, rather than just about allowing a team to keep their higher pick studs consecutative years. For me, it makes it more fun as owners start looking at rookies later in a draft. They start looking more at players who may not have high expectations immediatly, but look like great development guys. Its more fun because while you are drafting for today, you are also thinking about the future.

Never played Keeper before so let me say that before I make my suggestion:

Let's keep 1 player only.

That player has to be a player you drafted and kept on your roster for the entire season.

You lose the draft pick for whatever round you drafted that player.

Not sure if we would have access to our draft info or this years rosters next year so I am not sure how that would work.

Pix,

Only comment I would make is, at least in keeper leagues I have played elsewhere, you usually give up a draft pick one round higher than the one you used. The reason for that is two fold.

(a) It prevents teams from keeping 1st round draft picks, which you really do want to avoid. IMHO, you really lose something when a team gets to keep the best players in the league.

(B) You put an added bit of "ouch" factor in the keeper, which makes an owner have to think a bit. I think a key here is 2nd and 3rd round picks. Players in the 2nd and 3rd round are very often studs. Take Reggie Wayne. Lets say you got him in the 2nd round. Well, if you want to keep him, you would have to give up a 1st round pick. That makes you really think about it.

The one round higher rule doesn't really mean much for teams who "hit" on late round picks. If you took a player in the 15th round and have to give up a 14th round pick to keep him, it doesn't mean a whole lot. But what it does do is make owners think a bit extra when it comes to the upper tier players in the game.

For me, personally, keepers leagues are more about rewarding owners who found solid picks later in the draft, rather than just about allowing a team to keep their higher pick studs consecutative years. For me, it makes it more fun as owners start looking at rookies later in a draft. They start looking more at players who may not have high expectations immediatly, but look like great development guys. Its more fun because while you are drafting for today, you are also thinking about the future.

I agree with your assessment.

Comments from PapaBear, who does not post on this site,

I feel strongly about three things with regards to keepers:

First, I feel we should only have 1 keeper. When people start keeping 2, the draft gets too diluted. And we should be able to keep a player from any round. I’ve never heard of the concept of only being able to keep players in the top 6 rounds. That’s dumb. I actually took players late in this draft with the intent on being able to possible keep them.

Second, I think we should be required to give up a draft pick one round ahead of where the player was drafted. Otherwise, like you say, it rewards people who were lucky enough to get a high 1st round pick last year. 1st rounders should be off limits, and 2nd rounders should only be kept if you’re willing to give up a 1st. This opens up the draft MUCH more at the top.

To me, keepers should reflect a guy you stole somewhere in the middle to late rounds. It shouldn’t necessarily be just keeping your best player or your top pick from last year. There should be some strategy involved both in drafting (like when I took flyers on guys late who I felt might be keepers this year) and in deciding who you keep (having to weigh the player vs. giving up a pick one round ahead of where you drafted him), while at the same time not totally depleting the draft with 2 keepers or 1st and 2nd rounders being kept.

Third, I feel that you should only be allowed to keep players who you a) drafted and B) kept on your roster the entire year. This was a rule put in place in my live league. At first I didn’t like it, but after two years of it, I really like it. It adds to the strategic value of the game and doesn’t reward someone who happened to have waiver priority or got to their computer 1st to pick up a FA.

PapaBear believes, as do I, we should be looking at one keeper, who was drafted and on the roster the entire season. The cost for that keeper should be one round higher than taken, which eliminates 1st round draft picks, and makes owners think hard about keeping 2nd round players (often studs as well) as that would cost them their 1st round pick. Other than preventing 1st round picks, there should be no other limitation of what round a player drafted can be kept. As Papabear said, I too drafted players late in the draft based on the belief we were in a keeper league and some players may not be huge impacts on my team this year (actually last) but would be in the future.