• keep any 2 players
    • see option 3 below
    • see option 4 below
    • other

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would argue because it rewards too much an owner who simply lucked into a high pick. For example, if I had the top pick and took AP this year, is it really fair that I get AP next year just because I got lucky when I got the top pick. If I had the 10th pick, and most of the top RBs were gone, and I was forced to take a WR or QB, is it fair that I have to miss out on one of those stud RBs.

Ultimately, for me, it is about what the purpose of a keeper is. For me, a keeper is a reward for hitting on unexpected talent. Because I had a high pick and took the best player, is that really something to be rewarded.

Frankly, I wish we had settled this issue before our last draft. I drafted some players later in the draft, like Hakeem Nicks, who I didn't expect to be great for me this year (though he was pretty dang good) but did it because i thought he would be a great keeper. I know Papabear did as well, and I think some others did too.

Its a big deal when you find out where you draft. If you end up with the 10 pick, you know you are not going to be able to draft the top guys. If you allow 1st round picks to be keeper, then you are sort of punishing that person consecutative years, IMHO. Calibears last year got the 2nd pick and took AP. What if he ends up with the 10th pick this year? Is it really right that he gets to keep AP again?

For me, it is far more fun when you are talking about keeping a player you took late in the draft, who developed into something. When you have it that way, like in football, you are thinking about next year as well as this year when drafting.

Why have the limitation of not being able to keep your 1st round pick??

I would argue because it rewards too much an owner who simply lucked into a high pick. For example, if I had the top pick and took AP this year, is it really fair that I get AP next year just because I got lucky when I got the top pick. If I had the 10th pick, and most of the top RBs were gone, and I was forced to take a WR or QB, is it fair that I have to miss out on one of those stud RBs.

Ultimately, for me, it is about what the purpose of a keeper is. For me, a keeper is a reward for hitting on unexpected talent. Because I had a high pick and took the best player, is that really something to be rewarded.

Frankly, I wish we had settled this issue before our last draft. I drafted some players later in the draft, like Hakeem Nicks, who I didn't expect to be great for me this year (though he was pretty dang good) but did it because i thought he would be a great keeper. I know Papabear did as well, and I think some others did too.

Its a big deal when you find out where you draft. If you end up with the 10 pick, you know you are not going to be able to draft the top guys. If you allow 1st round picks to be keeper, then you are sort of punishing that person consecutative years, IMHO. Calibears last year got the 2nd pick and took AP. What if he ends up with the 10th pick this year? Is it really right that he gets to keep AP again?

For me, it is far more fun when you are talking about keeping a player you took late in the draft, who developed into something. When you have it that way, like in football, you are thinking about next year as well as this year when drafting.

I totally agree that we should not be allowed to keep our 1st round draft pick. I wouldn't have kept my 1st rounder anyways.

Thats almost same as option three just bumps pick up one round which is what I was leaning toward also. There is a lot of luck to FF so stuff like this that adds more skill makes it more fun to me. I also think players you acquired via trade shouldnt be allowed to be kept a la me keeping Andre Johnson to prevent someone from stacking one team with late round studs. I also like idea of players only being allowed to be kept once so there are always new faces in draft. Also, no trading draft picks at all.

A change I would like to propose that next year 6 teams make the playoffs and top two get a bye. It rewards top teams and gives more teams a chance to compete and keeps league more active in later weeks.

Ok, since poll is anonymous and anyone can vote just post what you want in thread.

Drunk,

Yea, Option 3 is "similar" to what I, or Papabear, would like to see.

Differences:

1. As you mention, giving up a round higher than drafted. This doesn't mean much for later rounds, but has more significance in early rounds. It prevents you from keeping a 1st. And you can keep a 2nd round pick (a guy who was a near stud last year) but it will cost you your 1st rounder. Just puts a bit of extra "thinking" in there.

2 After 1st, no round limit. I think option 3 had mentioned limiting the keeper to the top 6 rounds. I don't like that at all, and would rather no limit.

3. I don't care for any of that Supplemental pick stuff for teams that don't choose to keep a player. That is rewarding someone for not drafting well the prior year. The whole idea of keepers is to reward a team for a keep draft. As bear fans, we all know too well about the idea of rewarding an individual doing a poor job, but I would rather not follow our team's philosophy.

Agreed totally that you can only keep a player one year (original plus keeper year).

One other proposal, and I don't know how this could be done exactly w/ our league, but I would like to establish our draft order earlier. It may not matter when looking at a late round keeper, but whether or not you keep a player in the 2nd or 3rd round (for example) may depend greatly on whether you have the top pick, 10th pick or whatever.

While I like the idea of rewarding a team for doing well, doesn't 6 out of 10 teams making the playoff seem a little high? I don't know. No big issue for me either way. I'll talk to my friend for his input as well.

Thats almost same as option three just bumps pick up one round which is what I was leaning toward also. There is a lot of luck to FF so stuff like this that adds more skill makes it more fun to me. I also think players you acquired via trade shouldnt be allowed to be kept a la me keeping Andre Johnson to prevent someone from stacking one team with late round studs. I also like idea of players only being allowed to be kept once so there are always new faces in draft. Also, no trading draft picks at all.

A change I would like to propose that next year 6 teams make the playoffs and top two get a bye. It rewards top teams and gives more teams a chance to compete and keeps league more active in later weeks.

Ok, since poll is anonymous and anyone can vote just post what you want in thread.

I've only played keepers on espn & with that if you keep 1 you loose your 1st pick if ya keep 2 ya loose your 1 & 2 regardless of where you drafted them. Now I don't know if that was standard or the commish just never bothered changing settings

Bowling, there is no agreement at all.

First, if you look at the poll, there are three who voted for 2 keepers, but three votes for 1 keeper, just in different formats. Further, I have posted that my friend also wanted one keeper. He doesn't post on this board, so he couldn't bote, but I cut and pasted his opinions.

I would also like to point out that anyone could vote on this board, thus we don't even know if the votes were strictly by league owners.

If we end up w/ 2 keepers, so be it, but even looking at the pole, I don't think that is what the majority of owners at this point wants.

Looks like we have pretty much come to an agreement with 60/30/10 payout and also keeping 2 keepers.

Bowling, there is no agreement at all.

First, if you look at the poll, there are three who voted for 2 keepers, but three votes for 1 keeper, just in different formats. Further, I have posted that my friend also wanted one keeper. He doesn't post on this board, so he couldn't bote, but I cut and pasted his opinions.

I would also like to point out that anyone could vote on this board, thus we don't even know if the votes were strictly by league owners.

If we end up w/ 2 keepers, so be it, but even looking at the pole, I don't think that is what the majority of owners at this point wants.

Yes. This is why I asked for all members in the league to post their votes in the thread. We are definitely not clear on the keeper though. Keeping 2 and keeping 2 and losing the round before they were drafted is much different obviously.

Also, for the draft order. Thats already set, it goes by standings from the previous year.

Draft order is already set based on prior standings? Does that mean worst team drafts 1st. Fine for this year, but I would hate to stick w/ that for fear of teams tanking to get top pick.

Back to keeper talk, I think we have to go step-by-step. First, ask for a vote on 1 or 2 keepers. No rules or specifics, but simply how many. Then, once we have decided on how many, we can talk details.

Yes. This is why I asked for all members in the league to post their votes in the thread. We are definitely not clear on the keeper though. Keeping 2 and keeping 2 and losing the round before they were drafted is much different obviously.

Also, for the draft order. Thats already set, it goes by standings from the previous year.

Funny thing is, I actually have several players I would not mind keeping.

Early part of my draft was not really memorable, and not much I would want to keep, but w/ keeper aspect in mind, I had some later picks that I would have to choose from.

Mendenhall in the 13th round.

Hakeem Nicks in the 14th round.

Rothlisberger in the 16th round.

Brent Celek in the 17th round.

I would still prefer one keeper, as I just don't want to dilute the draft too much, but if we do go w/ 2 keepers, I like my choices :)

Man, I look back at the earlier part of my draft, and just have to wonder. What the F was I thinking?

2 keepers flea, pix, bowlingtwig

1 keeper nfo, papabear

50% of votes in

Funny thing is, I actually have several players I would not mind keeping.

Early part of my draft was not really memorable, and not much I would want to keep, but w/ keeper aspect in mind, I had some later picks that I would have to choose from.

Mendenhall in the 13th round.

Hakeem Nicks in the 14th round.

Rothlisberger in the 16th round.

Brent Celek in the 17th round.

I would still prefer one keeper, as I just don't want to dilute the draft too much, but if we do go w/ 2 keepers, I like my choices :)

Man, I look back at the earlier part of my draft, and just have to wonder. What the F was I thinking?

I like 2 because of who I could possible keep. I will obviously keep Johnson, I would be a fool not to. My other choice would be Aaron Rodgers in the 3rd round and Cedric Benson in the 11th round.

Personally, I hate the idea of keeping two players. That's a potential of 20 very good players off the board before the draft even begins, which means a very diluted draft.

With that said, whether we get one or two keepers, I have to say, I am going to push very very hard for a 1 round up loss of pick to keep a player. There has to be some level of give up when you keep a player. Johnson is an awesome keeper (great call by the way) but any 2nd round pick kept IMHO should lose a 1st. A 3rd rounder you lose a 2nd. Key reason here is, these players were borderline stud draft picks already, and to keep on your roster for a 2nd year, you should have to give up a slight bit more than what you used on him previous. This rule also prevent teams from keeping 1st round picks, which I am also absolutely against.

Johnson and Benson would look like great keepers. Johnson is likely the #1 pick next year, especially when you combine his rushing w/ receiving. Benson is a very good 2nd RB, and to get him for a 10th round pick is a steal, allowing you to focus more on WRs and such earlier.

I like 2 because of who I could possible keep. I will obviously keep Johnson, I would be a fool not to. My other choice would be Aaron Rodgers in the 3rd round and Cedric Benson in the 11th round.

Personally, I hate the idea of keeping two players. That's a potential of 20 very good players off the board before the draft even begins, which means a very diluted draft.

With that said, whether we get one or two keepers, I have to say, I am going to push very very hard for a 1 round up loss of pick to keep a player. There has to be some level of give up when you keep a player. Johnson is an awesome keeper (great call by the way) but any 2nd round pick kept IMHO should lose a 1st. A 3rd rounder you lose a 2nd. Key reason here is, these players were borderline stud draft picks already, and to keep on your roster for a 2nd year, you should have to give up a slight bit more than what you used on him previous. This rule also prevent teams from keeping 1st round picks, which I am also absolutely against.

Johnson and Benson would look like great keepers. Johnson is likely the #1 pick next year, especially when you combine his rushing w/ receiving. Benson is a very good 2nd RB, and to get him for a 10th round pick is a steal, allowing you to focus more on WRs and such earlier.

I completely agree with the fact of losing the round ahead of where u drafted the player at. I also don't think we should be able to keep any player for more than 1 or 2 years.

Gosh I dont think I have been on here since the football season started. I vote for one keeper, if we all keep 2 it will dilute the draft and not make it as much fun. I also think whatever player you keep you just lose that round in the draft. So if you keep your first pick, you lose that round or your 5th pick lose that round. that makes picking gems in later rounds more attractive. Who was crushers, who won? I took a nose dive at the end, but had it going for awhile. :notworthy

I completely agree with the fact of losing the round ahead of where u drafted the player at. I also don't think we should be able to keep any player for more than 1 or 2 years.

the idea of having keepers shouldnt be a penalty, In one league I was in , after the 5th round we could keep one keeper and lose that round. Leaves for a normal draft and doesnt dilute it as bad. It worked out quite well.