So what players won't be back?

bradjock

As bad as our season was, the scary part is we're likely do have damn near all significant players returning.

The only significant contributor likely gone is Wale. He might resign, but considering we traded for Adams and we're saying all the right things about Melton . . .

As far as I can tell, that's it for significant players. Pace is gone, but he quit being significant.

Vasher's proven to be a mediocre corner. Is it worth eating his salary now?

Pisa might go . . . or not. Isn't Adriant Peterson a free agent?

It's amazing that we'll have the whole squad back with most of our starters returning.

There wont be much changes. We wont spend money on FA's (there really wont be many good ones anyway), Lovie and JA are too stuborn to get trade away guys like Hester or Harris, and we have no draft picks.

Expect, for the most part, the same roster.

One thing is for sure, if we use any of next years draft picks to move up in this years draft, I will flip a nut.

For a good portion in the morning I have been listening to the SCORE and almost everyone has been agreeing that they expect Angelo to make a move to get back into at least the 2nd round.

For a good portion in the morning I have been listening to the SCORE and almost everyone has been agreeing that they expect Angelo to make a move to get back into at least the 2nd round.

Who do the Bears have that would bring back that kind of return in a trade? Cutler obviously, possibly Hester and it's a stretch at this point, maybe Tillman, Briggs obviously, Williams, but other than that?

I agree with Mully that you should hold onto all the players until you have to make a decision. Bring as many players as you can to camp. Example - Tommie Harris' bonus is not due until June 1. I'm sure the Bears will work to push back that date if possible. If not, do not make the decision until June 1.

When the season starts, I see the following players gone:

- Vasher (has lost a step at least)

- The Prince (will not be resigned)

- AP (great special teams player but you can't keep both him and Wolfe)

- Rasheed Davis (need to get the reps to Iglasias)

- Pace (he's done)

I'm sure there will be more but these stand out.

Peace :dabears

Who do the Bears have that would bring back that kind of return in a trade? Cutler obviously, possibly Hester and it's a stretch at this point, maybe Tillman, Briggs obviously, Williams, but other than that?

I am not sure how or who they think we might trade. They were just saying that they wouldn't be shocked if JA did every thing he could to trade back into the 2nd rounder.

First, w/ regard to the idea of trading a player for picks or to move up in the draft (as mentioned in other posts) I wonder if ownership might not step in and prevent that. If you have lost faith in your men enough that they are essentially on a one year prove it or take a hike deal, do you really want to allow them the opportunity to trade away good players? If they tried, for example, to trade Briggs, I wonder if ownership would step in and block such a move.

As for players, I think Vasher is cut. I didn't think AP was a FA, but I think he could be cut regardless. His value to this team has simply dropped too much. I don't think he was even a special teams standout, and w/ others really stepping up, his value has gone down that much more.

Most players will be back. Angelo said himself he likes this roster. Take that for what it is worth, but I would not expect too many changes.

On offense, OL is the biggest key, and I think we could add a player, but I don't have a ton of confidence. I think they will more likely look at how the OL finished the year, and believe we have the players, but simply needed this past season to develop them. I don't agree, but what I think the staff will believe. At WR, especially w/ the emergence of DA and numerous other young talents like Bennett, Knox and even Iglesias, I don't expect much of anything. I think we will look to add a RB for depth, but that is about it.

On defense, we are most likely to lose Wale, but after trading for Adams, plus having drafted Gilbert and Melton, I don't expect much beyond a rookie to be added to the DL. I think Pisa likely returns w/ Lovie as the HC and his price likely very minimal. I think the secondary could see changes though. I don't expect any big ticket FAs, but could see us looking to add CB and FS.

We don't have a 1st day draft pick, and this is not likely to be a good FA due to the CBA issues. Not only are 200 potential FAs off the market due to the lack of a new CBA, but w/ the potential of a lockout, I doubt our owners will want to spend big. Further, I think this is a year Angelo basically says the talent is there, and leaves it up to the coaches to develop and utilize that talent.

As bad as our season was, the scary part is we're likely do have damn near all significant players returning.

The only significant contributor likely gone is Wale. He might resign, but considering we traded for Adams and we're saying all the right things about Melton . . .

As far as I can tell, that's it for significant players. Pace is gone, but he quit being significant.

It's amazing that we'll have the whole squad back with most of our starters returning.

One thing is for sure, if we use any of next years draft picks to move up in this years draft, I will flip a nut.

That might be the only way we could move up in the draft. We don't have too many players (who we could afford to part with) who are worth enough to get us into the 2nd round. Right now, it looks like we've got the #74 overall pick in the draft. Moving up 20 spots to a decent 2nd-round pick, #54 overall, would take our 3rd plus a player equal in value to a late 3rd (specifically, equal to the #90 pick overall.) Personally, I don't think we have a lot of guys we can afford to lose who are worth a late 3rd in trade.

One thought: maybe we could package our 3rd with Danieal Manning? He's relatively young and while he's crap at FS, he has shown that he's a pretty good nickel DB and an excellent kick returner. In a year with very few quality DBs hitting free agency, that might be worth the equivalent of a late 3rd to some teams. We could afford to lose him, too: Corey Graham can step in at nickel and Johnny Knox can hold down kick returns. He was a waste of an early 2nd-round pick, true, but he might still have late-3rd value. Unless Angelo can pull off an iffy trade like that, though, I don't see us moving up in the draft without throwing in some future picks.

Gaines Adams?

Oh wait there is only one team wetoddid enough to do that.

I hope the owners step in and tell Angie he is not allowed to deal any future picks, or core players. DM may be different.

If, as most believe, Angie is tied to Lovie, who is on a one year "prove it" deal right now, then it doesn't make sense to allow your GM to deal away future picks another GM may sorely need.

That might be the only way we could move up in the draft. We don't have too many players (who we could afford to part with) who are worth enough to get us into the 2nd round. Right now, it looks like we've got the #74 overall pick in the draft. Moving up 20 spots to a decent 2nd-round pick, #54 overall, would take our 3rd plus a player equal in value to a late 3rd (specifically, equal to the #90 pick overall.) Personally, I don't think we have a lot of guys we can afford to lose who are worth a late 3rd in trade.

One thought: maybe we could package our 3rd with Danieal Manning? He's relatively young and while he's crap at FS, he has shown that he's a pretty good nickel DB and an excellent kick returner. In a year with very few quality DBs hitting free agency, that might be worth the equivalent of a late 3rd to some teams. We could afford to lose him, too: Corey Graham can step in at nickel and Johnny Knox can hold down kick returns. He was a waste of an early 2nd-round pick, true, but he might still have late-3rd value. Unless Angelo can pull off an iffy trade like that, though, I don't see us moving up in the draft without throwing in some future picks.

Not to sound too negative (I know I've been on a roll with that lately...), but I really have a hard time getting around to knowing what will happen with players right now. There is just too much in the air.

1. CBA

2. New coordinators

Thos 2 elements make it a bit difficult to really speculate other than for sh*ts & giggles.

But for sh*ts & giggles, I think the departures of note could very well be the following (I'm not accounting for any potential trades because that is virtually impossible to predict)

1. Mark Anderson - shown too little to date

2. Adawale Ogunleye - good for his time here, but getting older and didn't do enough this year to warrant keeping him, unless at a bargain rate

3. AP - Love him and his guttiness, but I think his days are numbered. We need a more legit RB in the mix. ST or not...

I think we hold onto the LB crew...they all did OK last year. Roach, Williams and Pisa will probably be offered inexpensive deals. Any of those that don't take it will probably seek employment elsewhere.

I really don't see any more cuts. We simply don't have the picks, nor the FA availability to make for a lot of change.

Not to sound too negative (I know I've been on a roll with that lately...), but I really have a hard time getting around to knowing what will happen with players right now. There is just too much in the air.

1. CBA

2. New coordinators

Thos 2 elements make it a bit difficult to really speculate other than for sh*ts & giggles.

The CBA is a big factor, no question, but I am not sure how big of a factor the new coaches will be. On defense, we know we will still by and large run a similar system. Who ever we get to be our new DC likely changes nothing in terms of what we will and will not do on that side of the ball. On offense, again, I am not sure how much it matters. I think Angelo is going to took at the roster, and believe we are fine at QB, WR and TE. He could see the need for a backup RB, and I pray for OL, but I just don't know that who we hire to coach will alter this perception much.

But for sh*ts & giggles, I think the departures of note could very well be the following (I'm not accounting for any potential trades because that is virtually impossible to predict)

This one depends on the CBA, I think. If there is no new CBA, then we can retain Anderson very cheap, simply giving him a tender offer, which makes him restricted.

2. Adawale Ogunleye - good for his time here, but getting older and didn't do enough this year to warrant keeping him, unless at a bargain rate

I think he is absolutely gone. Especially if there is not a new CBA deal in place, that will mean the talent pool in FA will be far more limited. That means a player like Wale could find himself in much higher demand than he would otherwise.

3. AP - Love him and his guttiness, but I think his days are numbered. We need a more legit RB in the mix. ST or not...

Agreed. I think he is gone. He simply brings little to the table as a RB, and I don't think he really stood out on special teams this year, while some others looked great. Jones further injury woes, combined w/ Forte's (injury or other) lack of production, will mean RB could be viewed as a need. Not saying top pick, but I think we could add a RB later in the draft, or on the cheap in FA. Either way, it would spell the end of AP.

I think we hold onto the LB crew...they all did OK last year. Roach, Williams and Pisa will probably be offered inexpensive deals. Any of those that don't take it will probably seek employment elsewhere.

No CBA, and we keep Williams with a tender offer. If a CBA is reached, I think he could be gone, as another team could offer him an opportunity to compete for a starting job, which he simply doesn't have here. Didn't realize Roach was even a FA. And I think we re-sign Pisa, as he should be very cheap.

I really don't see any more cuts. We simply don't have the picks, nor the FA availability to make for a lot of change.

I think Vasher is gone. IMHO, the staff only played him this year when there were absolutely no other options, and that shows how the staff feels about him. And when he did play, he did not play well. Especially if this is an upcapped year, he is gone as we can cut him w/o worry about the salary cap implications.

If there is no CBA, then I think we absolutely tender him an offer and keep him. If somehow a new CBA is reached, I think we still could retain him, but it would be far from certain. Another team could feel they can get more production out of him, and offer more than we are willing to spend, which will likely be minimal at best.

Anderson will be back NFO. Everything out of the Bears media campaign has them hyping up how he finished the season strong and that they expect to tender him a contract and bring him back.

Can't argue with most your points.

I'm just not sure about Vasher. I think we're so thin at CB, that you just hold the guy as insurance. The overall cost isn't that horrid. Maybe you even restructure... But I could also see him gone for the reasons you mention. I see him solely as an insurance policy. With all the loot they saved keeping our horrific staf in place, they can easily afford Vasher! ;)

1. CBA

2. New coordinators

The CBA is a big factor, no question, but I am not sure how big of a factor the new coaches will be. On defense, we know we will still by and large run a similar system. Who ever we get to be our new DC likely changes nothing in terms of what we will and will not do on that side of the ball. On offense, again, I am not sure how much it matters. I think Angelo is going to took at the roster, and believe we are fine at QB, WR and TE. He could see the need for a backup RB, and I pray for OL, but I just don't know that who we hire to coach will alter this perception much.

This one depends on the CBA, I think. If there is no new CBA, then we can retain Anderson very cheap, simply giving him a tender offer, which makes him restricted.

I think he is absolutely gone. Especially if there is not a new CBA deal in place, that will mean the talent pool in FA will be far more limited. That means a player like Wale could find himself in much higher demand than he would otherwise.

Agreed. I think he is gone. He simply brings little to the table as a RB, and I don't think he really stood out on special teams this year, while some others looked great. Jones further injury woes, combined w/ Forte's (injury or other) lack of production, will mean RB could be viewed as a need. Not saying top pick, but I think we could add a RB later in the draft, or on the cheap in FA. Either way, it would spell the end of AP.

No CBA, and we keep Williams with a tender offer. If a CBA is reached, I think he could be gone, as another team could offer him an opportunity to compete for a starting job, which he simply doesn't have here. Didn't realize Roach was even a FA. And I think we re-sign Pisa, as he should be very cheap.

I think Vasher is gone. IMHO, the staff only played him this year when there were absolutely no other options, and that shows how the staff feels about him. And when he did play, he did not play well. Especially if this is an upcapped year, he is gone as we can cut him w/o worry about the salary cap implications.

I think this past season was Vasher's "prove it" season, and he failed miserably.

No question we are not strong at CB, but I don't think Vasher helps our situation any. Having him as a body (insurance) is a pretty damn weak insurance policy. I think Angelo will believe he can draft a CB, even later in the draft, and find someone just as capable.

Can't argue with most your points.

I'm just not sure about Vasher. I think we're so thin at CB, that you just hold the guy as insurance. The overall cost isn't that horrid. Maybe you even restructure... But I could also see him gone for the reasons you mention. I see him solely as an insurance policy. With all the loot they saved keeping our horrific staf in place, they can easily afford Vasher! ;)

I think this past season was Vasher's "prove it" season, and he failed miserably.

No question we are not strong at CB, but I don't think Vasher helps our situation any. Having him as a body (insurance) is a pretty damn weak insurance policy. I think Angelo will believe he can draft a CB, even later in the draft, and find someone just as capable.

DJ Moore, Bowman, and Graham will all have to get better. Plus add a veteran who gets cut and I'll be content. Bowman has a lot of talent, Graham is solid, and Moore is supposed to be pretty good.

Let them work with Fewell (if he is our new DC) and see what happens.

DJ Moore, Bowman, and Graham will all have to get better. Plus add a veteran who gets cut and I'll be content. Bowman has a lot of talent, Graham is solid, and Moore is supposed to be pretty good.

Let them work with Fewell (if he is our new DC) and see what happens.

I think for this team playing the screwed up scheme it does you have to have a FS, and just move Tillman to that spot and let some of the younger guys play, and bring in as draft picks or if there are any vets out there. A ballhawking FS is a must, been bad since Browny started his injuries. Vasher is gone, let someone else try.

I think for this team playing the screwed up scheme it does you have to have a FS, and just move Tillman to that spot and let some of the younger guys play, and bring in as draft picks or if there are any vets out there. A ballhawking FS is a must, been bad since Browny started his injuries. Vasher is gone, let someone else try.

Tillman to FS would be a terrible idea. He's had multiple shoulder and back injuries per year for the last several years, and you want to expose him to MORE contact? Not only do we not have an adequate replacement for him at corner, but moving to safety would probably shorten his career by a lot.

I agree that Vasher is done, but I'm not too worried about replacing him. About the only thing Angelo has proven he can do in the draft is pick up decent defensive backs in the later rounds. With Tillman and Bowman as the starters, I'm sure he can find a good depth player to develop. Especially since so many juniors are declaring this year.

Which SCORE show was it? This idea seems ridiculous to me since,

1) The last time JA traded up was for Craig Krenzel in the 5th round, and

2) JA wants to win now. That means, at least to some extent, to hell with the draft.

Everyone applauded Dallas for giving up so much for Roy Williams and the Jets for what they paid to get Braylon Edwards. I think most of us would have loved either of those two. On hind-sight, both teams over-paid badly. While the jury is still out on Edwards, Roy Williams sucks.

We gave our #2 for Adams to get him in here, see what he could do, and get him ready for next year. The only difference in trading for him or drafting Dan Bazuin is that Adams has one helluva a lot more potential.

Any player we give up for a #2 would weaken this team. To hell with that.