Gaines Adams dead

flea

That is sad sad news...Thoughts and prayers to his family....I had a lot of hope that Gaines was going to really help our D-Line...that really doesn't mean anything after you hear this news.....wow...26....

Yeah I know it, apparently they are saying it might have been a heart attack. Not many people his age have heart attacks.

That is sad sad news...Thoughts and prayers to his family....I had a lot of hope that Gaines was going to really help our D-Line...that really doesn't mean anything after you hear this news.....wow...26....

My God, what a tragic story for his family. 26 and a heart attack? Just makes you think. Pray for his family.

ahh I didn't think so.. I've heard he died from a heart attack. 26 is awful young to have a heart attack.

They're saying it was cardiomyopathy due to an enlarged heart. It happened to an offensive lineman during the draft a couple of years back. I really don't know what the connection is between being a big athlete and having heart trouble, but the league needs to start looking into heart problems the same way they're looking at concussions. A league with as much money and as many medical resources as the NFL could potentially save the lives of guys with conditions like what Adams had.

They're saying it was cardiomyopathy due to an enlarged heart. It happened to an offensive lineman during the draft a couple of years back. I really don't know what the connection is between being a big athlete and having heart trouble, but the league needs to start looking into heart problems the same way they're looking at concussions. A league with as much money and as many medical resources as the NFL could potentially save the lives of guys with conditions like what Adams had.

I'm not sure what you think the league can do about it. My best friend died at 21 of the same thing and he wasn't an athlete. He was standing in his kitchen making cocoa and just collapsed. Not sure if Adams was exerting himself at the time, but chances are that playing football had nothing to do with his death.

Horrible horrible news.

It is a sad day...a young man is taken far to soon.

I feel for his family and friends.

Facebook Update from Bear Report

Chicago Bears defensive end Gaines Adams, 26, died this morning after he was taken to the Emergency Room at Self Regional in Greenwood, SC.

Life is strange.

Keith Richards is still alive.

You just never know...

I'm not sure what you think the league can do about it. My best friend died at 21 of the same thing and he wasn't an athlete. He was standing in his kitchen making cocoa and just collapsed. Not sure if Adams was exerting himself at the time, but chances are that playing football had nothing to do with his death.

With all due respect, please let's not talk about the effect on a football team when someone has died. It is incredibly insensitive and callous....

Disagree. It's incredibly sad for his family and an unfortunate death, but for the typical Bear fan I don't think it's too soon to start wondering:

1. Did JA do his homework? Did we know about the enlarged heart when we made the trade?

2. Does this mean we'll attempt to bring back Wale? With Mark Anderson being restricted, IMO it makes his return a must.

3. If there is a cap next year (not likely) do we get that money back?

4. Why couldn't this have happened to Brett Favre??? (KIDDDING!!!)

I don't mean to be insensitive and callous but on a crappy Sunday in January when many of us our planted on the couch watching football, these are all damn good questions.

With all due respect, please let's not talk about the effect on a football team when someone has died. It is incredibly insensitive and callous....

People die everyday, every minute. It is truly sad that he died, but this is still a business and life keeps going on.

I feel sorry for his family and I hope everything will be okay.

Disagree. It's incredibly sad for his family and an unfortunate death, but for the typical Bear fan I don't think it's too soon to start wondering:

1. Did JA do his homework? Did we know about the enlarged heart when we made the trade?

2. Does this mean we'll attempt to bring back Wale? With Mark Anderson being restricted, IMO it makes his return a must.

3. If there is a cap next year (not likely) do we get that money back?

4. Why couldn't this have happened to Brett Favre??? (KIDDDING!!!)

I don't mean to be insensitive and callous but on a crappy Sunday in January when many of us our planted on the couch watching football, these are all damn good questions.

Agreed. Like what just happened in Haiti is extremely tragic and my heart goes out to those people. Some of us might pray, other might donate money. But that doesn't mean we are gonna stop thinking about the other things we care about, like Chicago Bears football.

Considering the rampant use of HGH, steroids, and other performance enhancing drugs in the NFL... could a heart problem like that develop from prior or even current PED use?

Yeah, an enlarged heart can result from steroid use, but lots of strenuous exercise also enlarges the heart, and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy can be inherited genetically, too. Here's a NY times article on enlarged hearts in athletes. Crew and cycling are the two sports where you see really dramatically enlarged hearts (some guys' hearts are literally twice the size of a normal person's) but I imagine football players can get it, too. The problem, from what I've read, is that it's not easy to tell whether an athlete has an unhealthy enlarged heart or just a heart that's grown bigger from exercise, but is still healthy.

People die everyday, every minute. It is truly sad that he died, but this is still a business and life keeps going on.

I feel sorry for his family and I hope everything will be okay.

Some of you guys are unbelievable.....

I agree its insensitive to wonder if we can get our pick back and to rip JA for not opening the guys chest up and looking at his heart LESS THAN A DAY after the young man has passed away.

I wonder what you would say to people who said "people die everyday, its a business" if it was your parents, Bearsox, or someone close to you, bradjock.

I suppose its too much to hope for class from some on a board that wishes harm to the owner or the team to lose games so the HC can get canned.

Some of you guys are unbelievable.....

I agree its insensitive to wonder if we can get our pick back and to rip JA for not opening the guys chest up and looking at his heart LESS THAN A DAY after the young man has passed away.

I wonder what you would say to people who said "people die everyday, its a business" if it was your parents, Bearsox, or someone close to you, bradjock.

I suppose its too much to hope for class from some on a board that wishes harm to the owner or the team to lose games so the HC can get canned.

That's different, because it wasn't a family member. An average of one person dies every 1.8 seconds, The only reason this gets mentioned is because Gaines Adams is an NFL football player. I am saddened by this tragic story but I don't think it's wrong to wonder about how this affects our football team. After all, this is a Football forum, not a place of mourning.