Update: Bears To Interview Hue Jackson Tomorrow

DABEARSDABOMB

The Bears have reportedly sought permission to interview Ravens QBs coach Hue Jackson for a spot on Chicago's staff. It's likely for their offensive coordinator vacancy, from which Chargers TEs coach Rob Chudzinski dropped out of the running late last week. Jackson, who apparently won't go to Oakland after all, joins Bengals QBs coach Ernie Zampese and purported long-shot Mike Martz as candidates for the gig.

He's done great things for Joe Flacco and the Ravens offense has gotten better. Below is some stuff I dug up on Jackson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hue_Jackson

- Has been an offensive coordinator in the NFL (2007 with the Falcons and 2003 with Redskins)

- Prior to getting that position, he was the Bengals highly regarded Wide-Receiving Coach (who helped developed Ocho Cinco, Henry, and Houshyourmama).

- Before the Bengals, he worked as an Oline coach and OC with the Redskins

Seems like a pretty solid hire. My only concern would be how he kept OC positions for such a short period of time, but you could also argue that he never really got a shot. In 2007, the Falcons lost Vick (that was his 1st season gone) so he really didn't have much to work with. Plus the Falcons had Petrino at the start of the year but he left 13 games into the season. Basically put, Jackson had no chance to succeed in 07.

In 2003, the Redskins had Patrick Ramsey at QB for 11 games and Hasselbach there for 5 games. Trung Candidate was there #1 RB. Basically put the team had nothing on offense (outside of a young Laverneus Coles). So again, I'd argue he had very little to work with.

I think there could be something good from this idea. I like that Ochocinco, Houschyourmama (a 7th round pick originally eh? - hmmm...Knox), Chris Henry and the younger Laverneous Coles all flourished with this guy's coaching. Pair that with while at USC he scouted and recommended bot Palmer and Leinart (Heisman winners no doubt) probably means he knows something about QB development.

Lastly he not only looks to have helped Flacco out but worked with the likes of Ray Rice, McClain and McGahee. All who have been steady smash mouth RBs. A staple to play in Chicago.

Imagine what could be in store for Aromashadu, Knox, Olsen, Forte, Bell, Cutler and Boldin (thats right I said it) if they brought in a guy like this.

It is now official. Bears received permission, have talked to Jackson, and he is flying out today/tonight and will interview with Lovie Smith and the team tomorrow. The Raiders have evidently already offered Jackson a position on there staff (who knows which position).

I can't imagine any jackass would take a spot with the Raiders over a spot with the Bears given that they still haven't 100% decided who their head coach is.

With the three-week anniversary of Ron Turner's firing Tuesday, the Bears' search for his replacement as offensive coordinator trudges on.

Ravens quarterbacks coach Hue Jackson is the latest candidate scheduled to talk with the Bears, a source close to Jackson said. Jackson is on his way to Chicago to interview with Lovie Smith, who stayed at Halas Hall to address needs on the coaching staff rather than attend the Senior Bowl practices in Mobile, Ala., as he originally planned. The Bears would have had to have received permission from the Ravens to interview Jackson.

Jackson, who helped developed Joe Flacco in Baltimore, also worked with Jay Cutler during preparations for the 2009 Pro Bowl when the Ravens staff coached the AFC squad. He is believed to also have an offer to join the Raiders staff, a source said.

Interesting how Lovie will be here interviewing instead of scouting at the Senior bowl. That has me concerned because I think it is important for our head coach to be at the senior bowl watching guys play, especially since at the very least a handful of these guys will be available when we pick in the 3rd round and later.

See, waiting this out does cause problems.

The longer this takes, the worse it is overall.

Interesting how Lovie will be here interviewing instead of scouting at the Senior bowl. That has me concerned because I think it is important for our head coach to be at the senior bowl watching guys play, especially since at the very least a handful of these guys will be available when we pick in the 3rd round and later.

They only have themselves to blame.

Peace :dabears

Scary...

Wait, what is wrong with the Ravens QB coach. He's done a phenomenal job with a young QB in Flacco. And the Ravens offense is no longer the laughing stock in the league that it once was. I don't see how this is a bad thing. Ravens have a pretty well balanced offense now, in fact, people were ripping on there defense for a chunk of the season (until it got healthy).

See, waiting this out does cause problems.

The longer this takes, the worse it is overall.

First, I don't see any problem with Lovie staying in Chicago to help in the assistant search. The Senior Bowl doesn't play until this weekend anyhow, how long do you think it will take to interview they guy if he comes in tomorrow? Lovie could be at the practices by Wednesday and get updates from the scouts.

Secondly, I still don't see how waiting is a problem. If it was in August I would be worried but the season isn't completely over yet. Hell, New Orleans and Indianapolis haven't even started getting ready for next year. What if they were to lose some of their coordinators after the Super Bowl? They would be that farther behind in their search.

I understand the trepidation and concerns but what is the rush with all this? Teams can't even start any of the "off season" work until March. Relax. What would you guys do if the season were 18 weeks and the Super Bowl was played in March??? C'mon Man!!!

I think the jury's not quite out on Flacco yet. And the Ravens aren't really known as a passing powerhouse. They are what we used to be. Strong running, great D, decent QB.

It's not a bad thing considering no one appears to want the job. Maybe he does. But now I'm worried that if no one wants the job, do we really want the guy that'll take it?

Wait, what is wrong with the Ravens QB coach. He's done a phenomenal job with a young QB in Flacco. And the Ravens offense is no longer the laughing stock in the league that it once was. I don't see how this is a bad thing. Ravens have a pretty well balanced offense now, in fact, people were ripping on there defense for a chunk of the season (until it got healthy).

Honestly, you're right...it doesn't matter, and more likely could be a plus that Smith is backing off slightly in recruiting due to the interview. His desires have been busts and I'd rather have Jerry doing it than Smith.

Waitng is a HUGE problem. How can it not be? The longer you take the get a staff in order, the less time you have to prepare. Als, the longer you wait, the fewer top candidates are out there. It also gives off 2 impressions.

1. They don't know what they want or know what they're doing

2. No one wants to come here with a lame duck staff

The longer things take, the more fuel goes to those 2 fires. Perception isn't everything. But it's a lot.

If I'm NO or Indy I could care less. Were in the SB! And one will win it. Deal with issues after that. It's a small price to pay for winning it all. Everyone else who lost, gets a small advantage then.

I'm sorry, I just do not buy the spin that this lingering search is good. It's rationalization based on fallacy. And that fallacy is that the powers that be know what they're doing.

First, I don't see any problem with Lovie staying in Chicago to help in the assistant search. The Senior Bowl doesn't play until this weekend anyhow, how long do you think it will take to interview they guy if he comes in tomorrow? Lovie could be at the practices by Wednesday and get updates from the scouts.

Secondly, I still don't see how waiting is a problem. If it was in August I would be worried but the season isn't completely over yet. Hell, New Orleans and Indianapolis haven't even started getting ready for next year. What if they were to lose some of their coordinators after the Super Bowl? They would be that farther behind in their search.

I understand the trepidation and concerns but what is the rush with all this? Teams can't even start any of the "off season" work until March. Relax. What would you guys do if the season were 18 weeks and the Super Bowl was played in March??? C'mon Man!!!

"Honestly, you're right...it doesn't matter, and more likely could be a plus that Smith is backing off slightly in recruiting due to the interview. His desires have been busts and I'd rather have Jerry doing it than Smith. "

Ok so we are cool here. Not sure that not having Lovie's say in the recruitment process is necessarily a bad thing. Angelo isn't always right on the money. But really, we're talking about 3rd round talent here....who could they entertain there? Just curious.

"Waitng is a HUGE problem. How can it not be? The longer you take the get a staff in order, the less time you have to prepare. Als, the longer you wait, the fewer top candidates are out there. It also gives off 2 impressions.

1. They don't know what they want or know what they're doing

2. No one wants to come here with a lame duck staff

The longer things take, the more fuel goes to those 2 fires. Perception isn't everything. But it's a lot."

Back when Smith was hired in 2004, Nick Saban (who turned down the job), Romeo Crennel and Jim Mora Jr. were leading candidates. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=evIsA...smith&hl=en

Saban, as we know moved onto Alabama after bailing on the Dolphins and well we know what happened with Crennel (fired once) and Mora Jr. (twice). Of course with Lovie as HC the Bears made the Super Bowl in '06, where did the three teams the other candidates end up? My point is, you may find a better prospect in the rough if you show more patience. I realize that most coaches may "percieve" the short term impication or lame duck or whatever, but what's to say that candidate couldn't be the next #1 next year if he does really well at leading the OC?

"If I'm NO or Indy I could care less. Were in the SB! And one will win it. Deal with issues after that. It's a small price to pay for winning it all. Everyone else who lost, gets a small advantage then.

I'm sorry, I just do not buy the spin that this lingering search is good. It's rationalization based on fallacy. And that fallacy is that the powers that be know what they're doing."

Two thoughts here; first what's to say that the Bears might be looking at a member of either the Colts or Saints staff that interests them? I know you and I can speculate either way but see my earlier notes and think about it. Secondly, so how did things work out for Pittsburgh again after winning the Super Bowl? Where did they finish the season?

I could be QB coach for the Ravens and it really wouldn't mean shit. Cam Cameron is one of the best OC's in the NFL, and arguably the best guy there is for developing QB's.

All the hiring of Smith and their list of candidates at that time means is that Angelo can't pick good coaches. And they all are in the same boat. None have won a championship. I don't look at going as success. Only winning. All or nothing.

The bears could be looking at staffs from either Indy or NO. But if the trend continues, no one would be interested. Nothing seems to be pointing otherwise. And why would they leave? I could see for a brand new staff or a HC position. But to be a Smith puppet as a DC or shackled to an offensive scheme where virtually your entire staff is in place...would it really look appealing to guys that are on the staff of those 2 franchises?

I've got a ton ofr freinds from PIT...they kind of shrug their shoulders at this past season. It sucked, but at least last year they won it all. And if not for Polamalu going down, that D would have been much better and probably would have done enough to get them into the playoffs. And then they become dangerous. Most my Steelers freinds are more pissed off at the Madden football curse and Polamalu signing up for that, than anything else! Although they do fear an agning D...but that's another thread.

I really want the Bears to be successful. However, I just do not see it happening under this current regime. Everything going on is a dog & pony show to lull fans into thinking they are actually doing something. I see through the sham.

I can't help but cheer on my team, but it's hard to soar like an eagle when you work for a bunch of turkeys.

Back when Smith was hired in 2004, Nick Saban (who turned down the job), Romeo Crennel and Jim Mora Jr. were leading candidates. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=evIsA...smith&hl=en

Saban, as we know moved onto Alabama after bailing on the Dolphins and well we know what happened with Crennel (fired once) and Mora Jr. (twice). Of course with Lovie as HC the Bears made the Super Bowl in '06, where did the three teams the other candidates end up? My point is, you may find a better prospect in the rough if you show more patience. I realize that most coaches may "percieve" the short term impication or lame duck or whatever, but what's to say that candidate couldn't be the next #1 next year if he does really well at leading the OC?

"If I'm NO or Indy I could care less. Were in the SB! And one will win it. Deal with issues after that. It's a small price to pay for winning it all. Everyone else who lost, gets a small advantage then.

I'm sorry, I just do not buy the spin that this lingering search is good. It's rationalization based on fallacy. And that fallacy is that the powers that be know what they're doing."

Two thoughts here; first what's to say that the Bears might be looking at a member of either the Colts or Saints staff that interests them? I know you and I can speculate either way but see my earlier notes and think about it. Secondly, so how did things work out for Pittsburgh again after winning the Super Bowl? Where did they finish the season?

Yep. It's painfully obvious this regime is delusional. Or at worst, playing us all for fools.

Probably both...

With Chud and now Zampese backing out it seems clear we're having trouble keeping recruits interested. That alone is never a good sign but then I always figured this was going to be a challenge given Lovie's short leash.