The Taylor signing

Guest TerraTor

Guest TerraTor

Dont like the signing. Unless we already have a deal for Rolle/Atogwe... i dont see why they moved so fast. FS is a desperate need and relying on a 3rd rounder is BS

Getting Chester Taylor is certainly a great back to have, but i dont like not filling a major need first

Dont like the signing. Unless we already have a deal for Rolle/Atogwe... i dont see why they moved so fast. FS is a desperate need and relying on a 3rd rounder is BS

Getting Chester Taylor is certainly a great back to have, but i dont like not filling a major need first

7 mil up front in an uncapped year....5.5 spread over the last 3....I think this was a great signing...except for the Garrett Wolfe lovers.

I agree. He hit the 30 year old mark this year, which has been tragic for RB's. Taylor had a career low ypc this year. If the Bears were going to go 30 and over, there were better out there. No reason to go so old tho.

Yeah but he was only a starter for like one year. Doesn't have the wear and tear.

He is 30 but hasn't been a starter the last couple years so the wear and tear shouldn't be as great as the other options out there. No injury history like Westbrook or Tomlinson. We've played him 2 times a year for last several years so you would hope we have a good idea of what he will bring. Contract is structured in such a way if won't affect us from resigning Forte if he has a good year this year.

Sounds good to me.

that Thomas Jones guy sure hit a wall at 30....

Honestly, if Taylor never had to sit behind AP I think he could have had very similar #s to TJ

No one could hit a wall behind the Jets line. That line just ain't here, and if anything TJ's year is the exception to the rule.

I mean the guy is going to be 31. It just seems more like a patch to me that could be a waste of money I guess. There were other area of needs the 7 mil guaranteed could have spent on this year instead of a RB that will be 31.

No one could hit a wall behind the Jets line. That line just ain't here, and if anything TJ's year is the exception to the rule.

I mean the guy is going to be 31. It just seems more like a patch to me that could be a waste of money I guess. There were other area of needs the 7 mil guaranteed could have spent on this year instead of a RB that will be 31.

This is 7 mil guaranteed in an uncapped year and they need a one-two punch at RB like everyone else is using. If you say Taylor and Forte it sounds a lot better than Forte and Bell.

Taylor hasn't taken huge hits so I don't see why he wouldn't be a productive back. This is a huge move and gives our offense so much more life. Look at most of the top teams in the league and they have 2 good backs and now we have that. And for the money we are paying this is a bargain.

I really love how we took advantage of the un-capped year by front-loading the contract so that the long-term salary cap impacts are minimal.

Guest TerraTor
Taylor hasn't taken huge hits so I don't see why he wouldn't be a productive back. This is a huge move and gives our offense so much more life. Look at most of the top teams in the league and they have 2 good backs and now we have that. And for the money we are paying this is a bargain.

I really love how we took advantage of the un-capped year by front-loading the contract so that the long-term salary cap impacts are minimal.

Im still waiting for the FS signing. Also u want a real passing offense u should gettting a real wide reciever. Maybe from a school in Division 1 or a guy from the Cardinals

I think the safety is coming. Rolle was just commanding ridiculous money so they had to go another route. Clark or Atogne would both be excellent upgrades. I think we'll end up landing Clark (or whatever the hell the Steelers safety's name is.

Im still waiting for the FS signing. Also u want a real passing offense u should gettting a real wide reciever. Maybe from a school in Division 1 or a guy from the Cardinals

This is 7 mil guaranteed in an uncapped year and they need a one-two punch at RB like everyone else is using. If you say Taylor and Forte it sounds a lot better than Forte and Bell.

I'm not trying to be a Negative Nancy here. I love the Manu signing. I love Peppers on the team, not too big on the contract.

I know this is an uncapped year, but there is a cap of sorts. There will be a cap of money the Bears will spend on guaranteed money and contracts. I'm sure they have a cap in their head that they aren't spending more.

I really don't see his contributions to the team being more then a year or 2. I think that a RB that is going to share time in a Mike Martz offense is less important than the needs in the O-Line and defense. Especially when I can't see him contribute more than 2 years, maybe even one. Who has played at a high level at RB past 32? He will be 31 going into the season.

Also Terra, I think the reason the Bears jumped so fast on Taylor was because there aren't a lot of quality RB's out there in FA. LT is older and Westbrook is injury prone. Thomas Jones would have been tough given the relationship the Bears had with the back on top of the fact that the Jets still want him.

Once Sproles was tendered at the highest level, the importance of finding a back quickly became key.

On the safety front there are still the possibilities of Rhodes getting released, plus Sharper, Rams, and Steelers safeties all available.

Ironic from you considering your incessant harping for more WRs. Regardless of that, however, I agree. I'm not that big on this signing because I didn't see it as such a huge need, but I can't fault the management for making a shrewd move to get a starter quality RB as a second guy. Also, think of how much he'll want to hand the Vikings their asses!

Guest TerraTor
Also Terra, I think the reason the Bears jumped so fast on Taylor was because there aren't a lot of quality RB's out there in FA. LT is older and Westbrook is injury prone. Thomas Jones would have been tough given the relationship the Bears had with the back on top of the fact that the Jets still want him.

Once Sproles was tendered at the highest level, the importance of finding a back quickly became key.

On the safety front there are still the possibilities of Rhodes getting released, plus Sharper, Rams, and Steelers safeties all available.

I wont argue that, hes obviously the best RB available... I think i worded my post wrong.... I just see it as so much less of a need then FS and whatever else.

Guest TerraTor
Ironic from you considering your incessant harping for more WRs. Regardless of that, however, I agree. I'm not that big on this signing because I didn't see it as such a huge need, but I can't fault the management for making a shrewd move to get a starter quality RB as a second guy. Also, think of how much he'll want to hand the Vikings their asses!

I imagine hes thinking "I know I wouldnt have fumbled 5 times in an NFL Championship Game"

I also love that he's taken away from the Vikes. He was the only RB there that didn't fumble!

I believe,but I could be wrong, but didn't Adrian Peterson also have career low in ypc and yards?

Yes, he did indeed. He still had 4.4 yards per carry. It was Pertersons the lowest of his 3 seasons, but it's still a very respectable number. Ie. Chester has only eclipsed that mark twice in his career.

Chester Taylor on the other hand had 6 years in a row where he had 4 yards per carry or more. This year was a big drop to 3.6, which is why I'm noting it is possible he is on a decline. That's not good by any means, especially considering Minniy's line and Peterson's 4.4 this year.

I mean look at the line that Matt Forte had to play behind last year in comparison. It was brutal, but Forte is still getting flogged for his lack of production. He was able to still pull out the same 3.6 yards per carry that Taylor had.

The thing is, how are these players going to be when they hit the final years of their contract. Peppers will be 36 when his contract is up and Taylor will be 34-35. I personally feel like Peppers will be a dominant player for atleast 2-3 more seasons. After that it's anybodys guess. We need to get to the Superbowl now!

The thing is, how are these players going to be when they hit the final years of their contract. Peppers will be 36 when his contract is up and Taylor will be 34-35. I personally feel like Peppers will be a dominant player for atleast 2-3 more seasons. After that it's anybodys guess. We need to get to the Superbowl now!

This is the NFL. It doesn't matter how they'll be the final years of their contract. It only matters how they're doing in the guaranteed money/front loaded years. In the last years, they'll be either restructured or cut, unless the players somehow come out of the CBA with a huge and unexpected win.

I don't think Taylor is anything more than a 2 yr contract for us. If he's still performing after that we keep him around but otherwise we're free to move on. If I'm not mistaken Taylor is pretty good at picking up the blitz or sneaking out on a quick hot read and that's a key in this offense. Garrett Wolfe will still be the third RB for us because of his special teams play unless we get lucky and find some decent UDFA which is possible with RBs.

Think of it this way. I would say our window was closed shut, but it has been opened now. Maybe just a little, but it is open. Further, I would say if you can get 3 or so years of pro bowl play from someone, it gives you time to draft players to develop so they are ready when a veteran is done.

They needed to get some pieces for Martz's offense and The TE(as a blocker) and Taylor fits it quite well. Great reciever, and excellent on the draw play. Plus he hits the holes quicker than Forte, so I think he will see more playing time than forte. It wont hurt to lite a fire under Forte.