Freddie Barnes

DGBears

I am very excited to see that we signed him as an undrafted free agent and even though his speed is put into question, id rather have a guy that can play football with a very high level of intelligence rather than have someone who is just out there to run. His stats look phenomenal and am looking forward to monitoring his progression.

:dabears

Not to get ahead of ourselves, but Issac Bruce was retardedly slow

So was Anquan Boldin, for that matter. He ran like a 4.7, didn't he? You don't need speed nearly as much as change-of-direction to separate on those short-to-intermediate routes.

I like what Barnes brings to the table. He's probably got a learning curve ahead of him, coming from a spread offense at a lower level of competition, but I could see him challenging for the slot receiver job down the road. If nothing else, his tape shows that he has downright obscene hands. Whoever Bowling Green's QB is, he was putting his throws all over the place, and Barnes was just scooping them up like it was no big deal. He doesn't have standout size, speed, or physicality, but man can he catch.

EDIT: One thing I'd be interested to know, as far as measurables go, is what Barnes' 10-yard split was like. Boldin's 40 was incredibly slow (4.72) but his 10-yard split was actually a very respectable 1.62 seconds. Compare that to Jeremy Maclin, who ran a 4.45 in the 40 with a 1.58 10-yard split. Maclin clearly has some long speed that Boldin lacks, but they're about equal over 10 yards. For a possession receiver who makes his living going over the middle, a decent time in the 10 is probably all the straight-line speed you need.

Im cautiously excited.

Remember Jerry Azuma, our Adrian Petersen and Garret Wolf are all college statistical phenoms that have given us nothing along those lines.

Well it's not fair to RB in college and switched to DB in the pros, Peterson was always a back up behind a higher priced guy, but when he did play he ran better than the starter and Wolfe ran outside the tackles in college but they try to run him between the tackles in the pros at 5'7, 170 give me a break!

I like the guy, but he doesn't fit.

He doesn't beat out Knox for the speed position.

He doesn't beat out Hester for the slot position.

He doesn't beat out Bennett for the possession position.

He doesn't beat out Aromashodu in anything.

Nice to get the hometown kid, but barring injury, there is no way he sees the field.

He'll be red-shirted this year anyway.

Maybe he can find a spot with next years' regime.

Nice to get the hometown kid, but barring injury, there is no way he sees the field.

That's only 4 receivers. Every team in the league keeps 5, and some keep 6. If Barnes can play special teams, he's got a shot at the roster, even if he can't beat out any of those guys. Besides, how many of the WRs on your list were injured at some point last season? 3 out of 4 by my count. You need quality depth at WR, and I think Barnes could be that.

That's only 4 receivers. Every team in the league keeps 5, and some keep 6. If Barnes can play special teams, he's got a shot at the roster, even if he can't beat out any of those guys. Besides, how many of the WRs on your list were injured at some point last season? 3 out of 4 by my count. You need quality depth at WR, and I think Barnes could be that.

Is Iglesias already a cut candidate?

Is Iglesias already a cut candidate?

Almost exactly my point. Hell, Iglesias has all sorts of potential, was drafted, and he can't get on the field. Barnes is going to have splinters on his ass to prove that he was on the Bears, and that's about it.

Almost exactly my point. Hell, Iglesias has all sorts of potential, was drafted, and he can't get on the field. Barnes is going to have splinters on his ass to prove that he was on the Bears, and that's about it.

Is Rashied still on the roster? If Barnes can play ST, cut Rashied immediately. There is no way I see them cutting Iglesias, so he's #5.

While I didn't want to go after a WR in FA, or really in the draft either, that doesn't mean there isn't room to add one.

Davis sucks. Sorry, but he simply isn't that good as a WR, and has no upside. He made a name for himself as a special teams player, but has lived off the rep for a couple years now as his play on STs has been poor. He is similar to AP IMHO, but even weaker as a position player.

Also mentioned, which I agree with, it was hard for a 4th WR to get on the field in Turner's system, but Martz is likely to use the WRs more, and thus the 4th and even 5th WRs could see increased playing time.

Finally, also mentioned, most of our WRs have gone down with injury at one time or another, and thus depth is shown to be quite important.

I know little about this kid, but generally speaking, I would simply argue there very much is room to add a WR.

Is Rashied still on the roster? If Barnes can play ST, cut Rashied immediately. There is no way I see them cutting Iglesias, so he's #5.

I agree we need a 6th WR and it should not be someone named Rashied. I admit that I'm not that enamored with a 4.7-forty WR who can be run down by Lance Louis and it's hard to imagine him doing anything more than underneath routes and quick slants which makes him but we'll see what he's got. He sounds like the second coming of that WR (Bilentnikof award winner from Oregon) who could never get off our practice squad..I think it was Mike Hass. Same type of WR, would catch anything he could get his hands on but too slow to be effective.

Aside from Barnes the other guys on the roster are Greg Mathews from Michigan. We know how Michigan WR turn out.

Antonio Rboinson out of Nicholls State...he didn't even excel there so I find it hard to project anything out of him at all much less in his first year in the NFL.

Eric Peterman....second year with the team has the full benefit of the offseason work, ran a sub-4.5 forty in pre-draft workouts. Went to Northwestern so he should have the smarts to figure out Martz' offense fairly quickly. If I have to guess right now I say he ends up the 6th WR on our roster, however, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we add a veteran who gets cut later in the offseason.

DH & DA the Devins

J Knox

E Bennett

Iglesias

After those 5 I see no one who lights my fire. I am not even sure Iglesias warms by back burner.

Unless someone makes a case for themselves R Davis comes back.

No if Barnes looks like he could replace RD on Special Teams and be an upgrade, fine.

With spot six (IMO) wide open, it is possible JA may pick up another FA down the road.