Bears WR situation could have included .......

ParkerBear7

While catching a glimpse of the MNF game were TO look very good I ponder the following:

If someone would have told me at the end of last season that the Bears could have an opportunuity to get both TO and Moss on the roster this season I would of said no way.

But that is exactly what JA could have done this season. TO is having a very strong year and Randy has been productive as well.

Too bad JA did not go and get these guys when they were available.

Because JA would then only really need to focus on solidifying the OL in the next draft and some additional depth at CB, DT, DE etc.

But JA decided to be more riske and rely on young and inexpierenced WR / OL group which has the team in its current situation (Cutler getting creamed) that will probably end badly and get a new regime for Da Bears next year.

But that is exactly what JA could have done this season. TO is having a very strong year and Randy has been productive as well.

TO is having a good year, but Moss has only averaged 39 yards per game with Tom Brady and Brett Favre throwing to him. Knox is having a better year than Moss.

Because JA would then only really need to focus on solidifying the OL in the next draft and some additional depth at CB, DT, DE etc.

I'll buy that Owens could have been signed to a multiple year deal (although history has shown that TO does best with 1 year deals), but to get Moss, it would have required taking his current contract which runs out at the end of the season. Unless you're suggesting the Franchise Tag for a guy averaging 39 yards per game this year, Moss wouldn't be here next year.

But JA decided to be more riske and rely on young and inexpierenced WR / OL group which has the team in its current situation (Cutler getting creamed) that will probably end badly and get a new regime for Da Bears next year.

How would Moss and Owens being on the team possibly keep Cutler from getting creamed?

Also, I'm not so sure there is more to the idea of a regime change for the Bears next year than a lot of wishful thinking by some fans. The Bears are right in the thick of the playoff hunt currently and a win against the hapless Vikes puts us back in first place in our division. That and the labor situation could prevent a lot of coaches from getting fired if owners think a lockout may last until August and new coaches wouldn't have time to implement new systems - which usually happens in mini-camps and OTAs that the players would not be around for.

And for the record, I think signing TO or Moss would've been a really bad idea. TO is an A-hole and we don't need him throwing Cutler or anyone else under the bus, and Moss wouldn't have been useful this season because he didn't know the offense, he would have been a distraction, and he's simply not producing this year.

And for the record, I think signing TO or Moss would've been a really bad idea. TO is an A-hole and we don't need him throwing Cutler or anyone else under the bus, and Moss wouldn't have been useful this season because he didn't know the offense, he would have been a distraction, and he's simply not producing this year.

While I don't like TO (but wouldn't be totally against him playing here next year on a 1 year deal), him and Cutler are friends away from the field, and as he has shown with Palmer and Ochocinco (2 of his friends off the field), TO behaves and plays well. As a matter of fact, he behaved in Buffalo last year on a horses*** team.

Too bad JA did not go and get these guys when they were available.

Even if we'd gotten TO and Moss, Jerry (or whoever's running the draft in April) would still need to get help at receiver. By the time the draft rolls around, those two combined will be 71 years old. It's pretty incredible that they've stayed productive this long - you can't build for the future on guys who only have a year or two left.

Getting Moss and TO might have helped this season, but if we're talking about the effect on next year's draft and beyond, they would have hurt the Bears a lot. Much better to get a good long look at Knox/Hester/Bennett, figure out what we've got, then go get somebody like AJ Green or Julio Jones in the draft.

Even if we'd gotten TO and Moss, Jerry (or whoever's running the draft in April) would still need to get help at receiver. By the time the draft rolls around, those two combined will be 71 years old. It's pretty incredible that they've stayed productive this long - you can't build for the future on guys who only have a year or two left.

Getting Moss and TO might have helped this season, but if we're talking about the effect on next year's draft and beyond, they would have hurt the Bears a lot. Much better to get a good long look at Knox/Hester/Bennett, figure out what we've got, then go get somebody like AJ Green or Julio Jones in the draft.

Shhh. Last time I put that (Bears taking a WR) in a mock draft I did, I got ripped because supposedly "every pick needs to be an offensive lineman" and "they have good young WR's."

:rolleyes:

Shhh. Last time I put that (Bears taking a WR) in a mock draft I did, I got ripped because supposedly "every pick needs to be an offensive lineman" and "they have good young WR's."

:rolleyes:

Hey man, I'll own up to it - I thought the Bears were going to be fine at receiver as long as they got the o-line straight. Looks like I was wrong. Now, the line's been a giant problem, but everybody who said we didn't have a go-to WR was definitely right. This season has convinced me that Cutler needs a WR who can win some jump balls and fight off DBs when Jay rockets one into double coverage.

Check out my mock draft thread if you need any further proof.

Hey man, I'll own up to it - I thought the Bears were going to be fine at receiver as long as they got the o-line straight. Looks like I was wrong. Now, the line's been a giant problem, but everybody who said we didn't have a go-to WR was definitely right. This season has convinced me that Cutler needs a WR who can win some jump balls and fight off DBs when Jay rockets one into double coverage.

Check out my mock draft thread if you need any further proof.

This was DA at the end of last year.

Peace :dabears

This was DA at the end of last year.

It was DA for like two games. I've never been a believer in that guy. Over half his yards last season came in a single game, one where the Vikes assigned a 5'9" corner with a broken foot to cover him. He's not a total scrub, but he's FAR from consistent, and the Bears really need some consistency at receiver. Give me somebody with DA's size, but who won't drop passes and is always in the spot he's supposed to be.

1. The Bears could have gotten them both a couple of years ago. I wanted it then and everyone else seemed to hate the idea.

2. The two could either be amazing or horrendous on the same team.

3. Now, however, would not be a good year to pick them up. It's better to look at the WRs that are on the Bears' roster.

4. Anyone saying we need to draft WR this year, much less use an early round draft pick, is completely insane. Please try to watch the games and absorb what is going on. I'm BAFFLED that you guys don't see the correlation between how one position affects the others. Every pick doesn't need to be OL, but the Bears do not need a WR. Say it with me, do not need a WR. Drafting a WR on this current Bears' team is like buying a new engine for your car that has four spare tires. You don't have a clue what the engine can do until you feel safe with tires.

4. Anyone saying we need to draft WR this year, much less use an early round draft pick, is completely insane. Please try to watch the games and absorb what is going on. I'm BAFFLED that you guys don't see the correlation between how one position affects the others. Every pick doesn't need to be OL, but the Bears do not need a WR. Say it with me, do not need a WR. Drafting a WR on this current Bears' team is like buying a new engine for your car that has four spare tires. You don't have a clue what the engine can do until you feel safe with tires.

I don't know that it's that clear-cut. I was absolutely against drafting WR before the season started - I wanted Day 1 to go something like tackle-guard-guard, then worry about everything else. But this season, even on the snaps when the protection has held up, the passing game has had real problems. Cutler's taken a lot of sacks from linemen whiffing on blocks or getting blown up, but you can't overlook the coverage sacks he's taken because no one could get open, or the interceptions he's thrown (like 3 of Hall's 4) where his receiver wasn't in the right spot or didn't fight for the ball.

Cutler is what he is. I'm not convinced that he's ever going to turn into Kurt Warner. He's been able to rely on his arm strength his whole career - it allows him to throw the ball later and wait longer for his guy to come open. I think that's made it so he never had to develop great timing or anticipation. And we know that he's more than willing to throw into coverage. So he is what he is, but that didn't stop him from being successful in the past. Clearly, Shanahan was able to build an offense around what Cutler can and can't do.

So I think the Bears need to look at what made him successful in Denver. Better protection? Sure, especially his last year there. A scheme that used his mobility? Definitely. But he also had a 6'4" 230-pound receiver who is maybe the best in the league at making contested catches. How many of Cutler's completions came because Marshall bailed him out? He had a Johnny Knox/Devin Hester type receiver in Eddie Royal, and they definitely made some big plays down the field, but who did he look to the majority of the time? He threw to Royal a healthy 129 times in 2008, but he threw to Marshall a whopping 182 times.

I'm not saying the Bears don't need better protection. They definitely do, especially on the interior line. But they also need to get Cutler back into a scheme that fits him. Stop trying to make him Kurt Warner, let him be Jay Cutler. Put him in an offense that includes all the rollouts and bootlegs that Denver used. Move the pocket around to slow down the rush. Let him buy time with his feet until his guy comes open, and get him a big, strong receiver who can make the tough catches in coverage. That's the formula that made him a Pro Bowler, and there's no reason why it couldn't work in Chicago. There are three or four receivers who fit that Brandon Marshall mold in this year's draft, and they'll probably all be gone before the second round.

4. I just disagree. I make no bones that OL is THE priority, but I still don't see a quality WR on our team. We need one still. No debate that certain positions like OL are WAY in front of the WR need. But, it is still a need. And if one is taken before OL, I'd be furious. But, after we get at least one OL, I'd have no issue getting a WR if that WR projected well.

1. The Bears could have gotten them both a couple of years ago. I wanted it then and everyone else seemed to hate the idea.

2. The two could either be amazing or horrendous on the same team.

3. Now, however, would not be a good year to pick them up. It's better to look at the WRs that are on the Bears' roster.

4. I just disagree. I make no bones that OL is THE priority, but I still don't see a quality WR on our team. We need one still. No debate that certain positions like OL are WAY in front of the WR need. But, it is still a need. And if one is taken before OL, I'd be furious. But, after we get at least one OL, I'd have no issue getting a WR if that WR projected well.

I basically agree: we need both. We might even need a tackle more than we need a receiver, but unfortunately, I think this is going to be a bad year for tackles and a great year for wideouts. If both positions are big needs, give me the better player any day.

I basically agree: we need both. We might even need a tackle more than we need a receiver, but unfortunately, I think this is going to be a bad year for tackles and a great year for wideouts. If both positions are big needs, give me the better player any day.

Personally, I just think that the Bears will simply benefit more from a good-great OT or OG than they will a great-stud WR.

Personally, I just think that the Bears will simply benefit more from a good-great OT or OG than they will a great-stud WR.

If we're talking about next season, I think you're totally right. But I'd like to see them get both a stud WR and a stud LT, even if it takes two drafts. Hopefully, somebody competent will replace Angelo and make that happen.

We don't know if we need a stud WR yet because our O Line sucks so bad that Jerry Rice wouldn't be able to have a decent year with Cutler running around and picking himself up off the turf. I say pick O Line 2 of the first 3 picks in the draft and take the best athlete with the other.

As far as Moss and TO goes...come on now, they would never have helped this year at all, and would have likely caused problems. It is a no-brainer, let them go somewhere else. Do we want the Bears to turn into a Redskins-like franchise?

I know this is not "Madden" but to say Moss and Owens could not of helped this teams could not be farther from reality. Also, we no in reality there is no way that JA would have aquired both especially if he did sign TO in the offseason.

TO is still a beast and gives max effort; kinda like the AJ Pierzinski of WRs in football; you know a grinder who rubs people the wrong way but truly hates losing. Its funny that many on this board (myself included)criticise Lovie for showing no emotion but a guy like TO who is emotional is labeld a A-hole. I actually would take TO over Chad Johnson who is an a-hole.

I not only want wins, I want another Superbowl Championship before another 25 years!!!

I am not trying to be negative either....I am over pleased with the team and if they can correct the offesive issues this team can make the playoffs. This team has more talent than given credit for but why not improve your team at every position when given an golden opportunity?

Nothing against our current WR's ( I actually like them all ). Winning is an important ingredient for good chemistry and without winning chemistry is irrelevant. Frankly this team could use some more swagger. TO is an excellent blocking WR and MOSS still can go deep. I am sure Favre and Brady would still love to have Moss. We should thank Chilly and Belichick as now we don't see Moss 3 times this year!

I did not mean to imply that MOSS and or TO would have prevented Cutler from taking a beating but they certainly would have forced the opposing DC to scheme differently.

It would have been virtually risk free considering that the big three JA, Philips and Lovie are possible fighting to keep thier jobs and must win at all costs. TO would have been a bargain and I don't care if Moss did not except an extension.

Sure I would love to have Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson but they are locked up and not available.

Think about this MAX Protect line-up deployed in the redzone?

TO......Davis...OT....LG....C.....RG....RT....Clark.....MOSS

Cutler

Forte

NOW tell me again why you would not want these 2 on your team?

I know this is not "Madden" but to say Moss and Owens could not of helped this teams could not be farther from reality. Also, we no in reality there is no way that JA would have aquired both especially if he did sign TO in the offseason.

TO is still a beast and gives max effort; kinda like the AJ Pierzinski of WRs in football; you know a grinder who rubs people the wrong way but truly hates losing. Its funny that many on this board (myself included)criticise Lovie for showing no emotion but a guy like TO who is emotional is labeld a A-hole. I actually would take TO over Chad Johnson who is an a-hole.

I not only want wins, I want another Superbowl Championship before another 25 years!!!

I am not trying to be negative either....I am over pleased with the team and if they can correct the offesive issues this team can make the playoffs. This team has more talent than given credit for but why not improve your team at every position when given an golden opportunity?

Nothing against our current WR's ( I actually like them all ). Winning is an important ingredient for good chemistry and without winning chemistry is irrelevant. Frankly this team could use some more swagger. TO is an excellent blocking WR and MOSS still can go deep. I am sure Favre and Brady would still love to have Moss. We should thank Chilly and Belichick as now we don't see Moss 3 times this year!

I did not mean to imply that MOSS and or TO would have prevented Cutler from taking a beating but they certainly would have forced the opposing DC to scheme differently.

It would have been virtually risk free considering that the big three JA, Philips and Lovie are possible fighting to keep thier jobs and must win at all costs. TO would have been a bargain and I don't care if Moss did not except an extension.

Sure I would love to have Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson but they are locked up and not available.

Again, I am not convinced that any receiver would make that great a difference when it seems that if Cutler has time to throw we have guys who can catch the ball. I am not entirely sure of that as I am not able to see every game, but the ones I see it seems that most balls are caught by the guys we have when the ball is catchable.

Money aside, there are lots of guys who would be nice to have, but money does enter into things with these two as well.

Perhaps most importantly, both of these two could be team morale killers who distract everyone around them with their antics and crap. From my standpoint, I don't want the Randy Moss's and Terrell Owens representing the Bears, they are selfish and ignorant louts who represent much of what is bad in sports today. Let the Redskins of the world have them, thank you.

Again, I am not convinced that any receiver would make that great a difference when it seems that if Cutler has time to throw we have guys who can catch the ball. I am not entirely sure of that as I am not able to see every game, but the ones I see it seems that most balls are caught by the guys we have when the ball is catchable.

Between the 20s, I think you're right. Knox and Hester have had some mental miscues, but they can catch the ball. Bennett's been very reliable as a #3. I like those guys for the most part, but I think the red-zone passing game is just as much a problem as goal-line running for this team. There's no Larry Fitz or Calvin Johnson on this team, no big WR who can go up over a defender for a jump ball or a back-corner fade route. I thought Olsen could be that guy based on size and athleticism, but he's proven that it's just not his game. He doesn't box defenders out like a guy his size should. If Moss or TO were 10 years younger, I'd be all for it. But as it is, I think they need to look for help in the draft.

The Bears definitely need to get Cutler better pass protection, but I think they also need to get a big jump-ball receiver, a guard who can open some holes in the run game, and a true short-yardage running back. I'm sick of watching this offense move the ball effortlessly down to the 15 and then stall out every time.