Bears sign Mannelly, Toeaina to contract extensions

balta1701-A

Link. Team obviously didn't want these guys getting away if next season was put in jeopardy.

Mannelly, who was due to become an unrestricted free agent, signed a two-year deal through 2012. He has appeared in a franchise-record 204 games since arriving in 1998 as a sixth-round draft pick.

“I’m excited I can continue playing for the Bears,” Mannelly said. “With the way the season is going, it could be a chance for two more exciting years.”

With the new deal, Mannelly has an opportunity to play the most seasons in Bears history. He’s currently in his 13th year with the team, one year shy of the club record that’s shared by linebackers Bill George (1952-65) and Doug Buffone (1966-79).

Asked why he opted to re-sign before hitting the open market, Mannelly said: “I love the Bears. I’ve been here for 13 years. Chicago is my home and I didn’t want to leave.”

Toeaina, meanwhile, signed a three-year extension through 2013. The 6-2, 308-pounder, who was due to become a restricted free agent, has emerged as a regular contributor this season after appearing in only five games over the previous three years with the Bears.

“To have some security feels pretty good,” Toeaina said Monday after signing his new deal. “To know that my family’s going to be here for a little bit longer, I feel pretty good about it. My family and I love it here in Chicago. We love the coaching staff, we love our teammates and we love the city.”

Smart moves. Locking up Toeaina means goodbye to Tommie Harris. That's hard to believe but it's just the Bears keeping some base players in the Dline rotation. I've been adamant we need to draft Oline first this spring but more and more I'm thinking our first pick will be DT if a good 3-technique falls to us.

However, my preference is to go get Haynesworth. He'd work great in our system and I think he'd be just fine working alongside Peppers and Urlacher. There is no way Washington goes through that circus act again. It's a gamble but the reward is that he could immediately put us at the top of the league in defense. If he fails you have what you have today with Melton, Toeaina, Adams, Harrison. The question is what pick would we have to give up. I can't see Haynesworth garnering a first day pick anymore.

The more and more our OL progresses, and the more and more I realize that Angelo and Lovie, and Tice and Martz, won't be giving up on Omiyale, Webb, Williams, or Garza anytime soon, the more I realize that they should use their 1st or 2nd pick on a DT. The organization just is not going to give up on the OL anytime soon especially with their progression. Toeaina is a solid player but nothing special. It's amazing how good the D has been this year despite horses*** play from the DT's.

It's great to see those two signed. Both are underappreciated.

It sickens me to read that because the OL has improved from an F- to a D+ you guys are ready to abandon the OL in favor of a position that doesn't need nearly as much help.

Have they done better in the last two weeks? Yes.

Are they still the worst OL in the NFL? Yes.

Harris does look even more expendable....

WOuldn't mind giving Haynesworth a shot if the price is right.

Smart moves. Locking up Toeaina means goodbye to Tommie Harris. That's hard to believe but it's just the Bears keeping some base players in the Dline rotation. I've been adamant we need to draft Oline first this spring but more and more I'm thinking our first pick will be DT if a good 3-technique falls to us.

However, my preference is to go get Haynesworth. He'd work great in our system and I think he'd be just fine working alongside Peppers and Urlacher. There is no way Washington goes through that circus act again. It's a gamble but the reward is that he could immediately put us at the top of the league in defense. If he fails you have what you have today with Melton, Toeaina, Adams, Harrison. The question is what pick would we have to give up. I can't see Haynesworth garnering a first day pick anymore.

PFF has the Bears as the worst O in the league, mainly down to our poor OL

Never more evident especially after the Eagles explosive offense put up 14 against the Vikings. We put up how many against the Vikings?

Things change as you go through a season. Young players improve, new offenses come together, etc. These guys want to be "experts" but you can't go on evaluating a team based on what you saw in the first four weeks of the season. They probably still think San Diego is going to win their division.

Never more evident especially after the Eagles explosive offense put up 14 against the Vikings. We put up how many against the Vikings?

Things change as you go through a season. Young players improve, new offenses come together, etc. These guys want to be "experts" but you can't go on evaluating a team based on what you saw in the first four weeks of the season. They probably still think San Diego is going to win their division.

I think you're both right. The team has changed and improved, but the OL is still unequivocally the weakest in the NFL and hinders offensive production to a certain extent. When the OL plays at or above their potential though, the Bears offense has a real chance to shine. The fact remains that Cutler has been sacked and hit more than any QB in the NFL, there continues to be a handful of bonehead penalties on the OL every game, and there is on average about 4 or 5 legitimate holes per game through which a RB can try to get good yardage.

I think you're both right. The team has changed and improved, but the OL is still unequivocally the weakest in the NFL and hinders offensive production to a certain extent. When the OL plays at or above their potential though, the Bears offense has a real chance to shine. The fact remains that Cutler has been sacked and hit more than any QB in the NFL, there continues to be a handful of bonehead penalties on the OL every game, and there is on average about 4 or 5 legitimate holes per game through which a RB can try to get good yardage.

Absolutely agree, lets not forget already how much we need help on the O Line...I hope we spend at least a 1st and another top 5 on O Line unless we get some big FA signing...DT would be nice but we are solid there, hardly so on the O Line.

It's great to see those two signed. Both are underappreciated.

It sickens me to read that because the OL has improved from an F- to a D+ you guys are ready to abandon the OL in favor of a position that doesn't need nearly as much help.

Have they done better in the last two weeks? Yes.

Are they still the worst OL in the NFL? Yes.

When will you ever actually READ my posts? My God, get your head out of your a**.

more and more I realize that Angelo and Lovie, and Tice and Martz, won't be giving up on Omiyale, Webb, Williams, or Garza anytime soon

The organization just is not going to give up on the OL anytime soon especially with their progression

Did I say the OL is good? No. I said THE ORGANIZATION (not ME) isn't going to give up on a group of guys that are progressing. Yes, they're still the worst OL in football. When you're at the bottom of the ocean and swim up 50 feet, you're still pretty deep. It's like having a 50% F in a class and now you have a 57%. It still sucks, yes, but the organization WILL NOT give up on the OL if they continue to progress.

When will you ever actually READ my posts? My God, get your head out of your a**.

Did I say the OL is good? No. I said THE ORGANIZATION (not ME) isn't going to give up on a group of guys that are progressing. Yes, they're still the worst OL in football. When you're at the bottom of the ocean and swim up 50 feet, you're still pretty deep. It's like having a 50% F in a class and now you have a 57%. It still sucks, yes, but the organization WILL NOT give up on the OL if they continue to progress.

Reread your own damn posts.

the more I realize that they should use their 1st or 2nd pick on a DT.

That big letter "I" is kind of important in the context of your entire post. I understood that you were speaking in terms of the coaches and the organization for how they think, but then you said "I realize that they should," which indicates that YOU think they SHOULD do something.

tumblr_kwv4qp4v2Q1qzvu53o1_500.png

Reread your own damn posts.

the more I realize that they should use their 1st or 2nd pick on a DT.

That big letter "I" is kind of important in the context of your entire post. I understood that you were speaking in terms of the coaches and the organization for how they think, but then you said "I realize that they should," which indicates that YOU think they SHOULD do something.

tumblr_kwv4qp4v2Q1qzvu53o1_500.png

Apologies. Meant to say "I realize they will.."

The problem is it doesn't look like there will be many olineman that grade out as first rounders. If a good DT is there, which is our second biggest need (3rd biggest is CB), 4th is WR, than I think you take that DT if he grades out. You than draft a guard in round 2 or maybe spend more money on a free agent olineman like Mankins.

If we spend a first round pick on ANY DT then next year when our O Line is not a premier line-up we will all be bitching! GET A FING O linesman in the first round!

We are going to need to find replacements for Kruetz and Garza ASAP. Also someone who will be SOLID at LT. I hope they don't think that Omiyale is the answer. Also, will Williams go back to LT or stay at LG?

I agree with upgrading the Oline but from what I saw most of the interior guys grade out in Rd 2 or lower. There are a few OTs who will go before we pick just because of supply and demand at those key positions. I think we can survive with our current OTs and both continue to get better. Cutler is adept enough at avoiding the occasional end rush that gets by them but he can't have pressure in his face to do that so I'm more concerned about beefing up inside especially with Kreutz and Garza aging and Williams not a great fit at OG.

OTOH it's that lack of pressure up the middle that kills our defense.

I agree with upgrading the Oline but from what I saw most of the interior guys grade out in Rd 2 or lower. There are a few OTs who will go before we pick just because of supply and demand at those key positions. I think we can survive with our current OTs and both continue to get better. Cutler is adept enough at avoiding the occasional end rush that gets by them but he can't have pressure in his face to do that so I'm more concerned about beefing up inside especially with Kreutz and Garza aging and Williams not a great fit at OG.

OTOH it's that lack of pressure up the middle that kills our defense.

Gonna need to replace Harris on the DL.

Gonna need to replace Harris on the DL.

For a team going to the playoffs the Bears seem to need help in a lot of areas. I'm going to guess that with the acquisition of Peppers and the extension of Toeaina that the D line is going to fall down the list (maybe fourth though I agree with you that a 3 technique tackle should be on it).

I'm thinking, not necessarily in this order:

(1) help in the defensive backfield, probably at at corner, is going to be an issue in addition to (2) the offensive line. And in terms of the line, don't discount that they'll be looking at centers to develop behind Kreutz in the middle rounds. So I expect they'll draft two OL with their first five picks. They probably also will be looking at (3) a good, big strong wide receiver. If the right one falls into their laps, I think they'll take him ahead of a defensive lineman.

Just a guess.

Tom S.

For a team going to the playoffs the Bears seem to need help in a lot of areas. I'm going to guess that with the acquisition of Peppers and the extension of Toeaina that the D line is going to fall down the list (maybe fourth though I agree with you that a 3 technique tackle should be on it).

I'm thinking, not necessarily in this order:

(1) help in the defensive backfield, probably at at corner, is going to be an issue in addition to (2) the offensive line. And in terms of the line, don't discount that they'll be looking at centers to develop behind Kreutz in the middle rounds. So I expect they'll draft two OL with their first five picks. They probably also will be looking at (3) a good, big strong wide receiver. If the right one falls into their laps, I think they'll take him ahead of a defensive lineman.

Just a guess.

Tom S.

If there is such a thing as a free agency period next year...given that the Bears D is relying on a number of "win now before they're gone" type vets, the Bears would be silly to not try to address some of those positions through FA this year.

Omiyale- young and being paid a lot of money.

Garza- the FO is going to look at him as the lasy piece of the puzzle, the guy who came in and turned it around on the OL after his injury.

Williams- (see: Omiyale)

Kreutz- declining but making a lot of money and the FO isn't going to bench a veteran like Kreutz.

Webb- definitely could be way better but he's a giant and was a 7th round pick.

In the end, the FO isn't going to get rid of any of these guys to reach on an OT in round 1 or to take an OG im round 1.

If there is such a thing as a free agency period next year...given that the Bears D is relying on a number of "win now before they're gone" type vets, the Bears would be silly to not try to address some of those positions through FA this year.

This isn't a very strong CB FA class and it's always pretty difficult for us as fans to pick a CB to sign because it's up in the air as to which CBs fit into the cover-2.

I could see the FO signing a WR though. Mike Sims-Walker? Steve Smith (NYG)? Jacoby Jones? Vincent Jackson? James Jones?