SANZENBACHER

flea

I was also going to make a Hass comment. This guy will never play in the NFL for the Bears. It's the Bears way, but that's not exactly a "bad" thing. Aromashodu will likely sign in Minnesota, and we'll probably never hear from him again. Hass went to Seattle, IIRC, and I never heard another peep about him.

Plus, who's spot could he take? Certainly not Knox's, Hester's, or Bennett's. Davis, maybe, but if he's re-signed, he's a good ST player.

Zach Zaidman#Bears agree to terms with 7 more rookie free agents: Kris Adams WR UTEP

Mario Addison DE Troy

Tanner Antle LB Tulsa

Dom DeCicco LB Pittsburgh

Spencer Lanning P South Carolina

Dane Sanzenbacker WR Ohio State

Trevor Vittatoe QB UTEP

http://www.tweetdeck.com/twitter/ZachZaidman/~orVqR

and Dane is back into the fold!

Zach Zaidman#Bears agree to terms with 7 more rookie free agents: Kris Adams WR UTEP

Mario Addison DE Troy

Tanner Antle LB Tulsa

Dom DeCicco LB Pittsburgh

Spencer Lanning P South Carolina

Dane Sanzenbacker WR Ohio State

Trevor Vittatoe QB UTEP

http://www.tweetdeck.com/twitter/ZachZaidman/~orVqR

I was also going to make a Hass comment. This guy will never play in the NFL for the Bears. It's the Bears way, but that's not exactly a "bad" thing. Aromashodu will likely sign in Minnesota, and we'll probably never hear from him again. Hass went to Seattle, IIRC, and I never heard another peep about him.

Plus, who's spot could he take? Certainly not Knox's, Hester's, or Bennett's. Davis, maybe, but if he's re-signed, he's a good ST player.

As you said, we say we believe in Hester, Bennett and Knox. Davis was instrumental in the offseason lock-out practices. He knows every position, and as you said, he's a good ST's player. Considering we line up Olsen as a WR frequently, that lessons our WR need.

I fully expect us to sign a guy via free agency. Along with the other free agents, Roy Williams & Berian have been released.

Once we resign Davis we'll have 4. We'll add another FA. We may keep a 6th WR like Andy Fantuz.

• 2 weeks later...
So after a little more than a week at Olivet Nazarene University, it’s impressive that wide receiver Dane Sanzenbacher has carved out some playing time for himself with the first team. The Ohio State product picked the Bears out of 25 offers he had. The depth chart and a chance to fit in Mike Martz’s scheme sold him even if he didn’t know how free agency would play out where the Bears added Roy Williams and Sam Hurd to the mix.

Sanzenbacher, who averaged 17.2 yards per catch and scored 11 touchdowns last fall for the Buckeyes, has been working in the slot and getting open for quarterback Jay Cutler and the backups. He’s been sure-handed. But there have been countless camp stars who have come before him and faded quickly. Kenny Christian “all but made the roster” one summer. Edell Shepherd starred in training camp. Standing out and remaining consistent is a challenge.

“You’ve got such a short amount of time that you have to make your mark and you really have to take the opportunities and make the most of them,” Sanzenbacher said. “That’s all I can do at this point.”

He’s caught the attention of some of the veterans, that’s for sure.

“He’s doing great,” Devin Hester said. “He’s the kind of guy that is taking advantage of his opportunities. As new guys coming in, you might get one or two opportunities. He got his first one and he’s taking advantage of it. Missing out on the draft, you know he’s hungry.”

The Bears haven’t gotten big production from the slot receiver in the recent past. Earl Bennett did some nice things last season. Devin Aromashodu played there and so has Hester. Rashied Davis played some slot. As wide receivers coach Darryl Drake is quick to point out, all receivers must be schooled at the position because the offense shifts and motions them so much. So it’s not like the Bears are auditioning for a new slot receiver.

“Dane’s got some talent and he’s got some ability and he needs to keep working,” Drake said. “When he gets in there he does some good things, he makes some catches, makes some plays, gets open. So far, he’s done some things you like to see. What you like to see is how he fares in preseason. Am I ready to crown him? No. At the same time, I like some of the things I’ve seen out of him.”

It’s a little early to start playing the roster game, but five veterans seem sure of making the roster: Williams, Hester, Bennett, Johnny Knox and Hurd. There’s certainly a possibility the Bears could keep a sixth receiver this season. That is where Sanzenbacher could be in the mix.

“My goals is to be one of those guys,” he said. “However I have to do it to get in that locker room, that’s what the goal is.”

TT of course with me chiming in now I may not quite understand your Ricky Proehl comment but if he turns out to be a player of thet caliber he can fit in this style of offense.

I really like this kid and I think if he is given the chance he could really succeed with Martz. I am excited to see him in some real action coming soon.

Didn't think Sanzenbacher was all that fast, I seem to recall Proehl being a pretty speedy guy for the Cards

From the very little I know about the kid. I've heard he isn't fast per say but his exceptional route running and great hands makes him deceptionally fast. I guess the kid did run track back in high school and won state in the 400 meter

If he is placed on the practice squad, he will be snatched up within hours. If they want to keep this guy, with as much interest as there was in him by so many teams after the lock-out, they will have to find a place for him on the roster.

It's a nice feel-good story but with below average size and athleticism this kid will never amount to much. He appears to have football smarts so he may very well end up a nice depth player on a roster somewhere, perhaps even ours but guys like this usually fade quickly when the competition gets real. He's not going to find such wide open spaces to run around like he did back in college and if people thought Knox had trouble getting off press coverage wait til you see him.

It's a nice feel-good story but with below average size and athleticism this kid will never amount to much. He appears to have football smarts so he may very well end up a nice depth player on a roster somewhere, perhaps even ours but guys like this usually fade quickly when the competition gets real. He's not going to find such wide open spaces to run around like he did back in college and if people thought Knox had trouble getting off press coverage wait til you see him.

Sanzenbacher continues to shine

Posted: 8/7/2011 10:12:00 PM

Undrafted rookie receiver Dane Sanzenbacher continued to make the most of first- and second-team reps in Sunday night’s practice, just as he has done since the beginning of training camp.

The 5-11, 180-pounder from Ohio State caught a touchdown pass from Caleb Hanie in the back of the end zone during a red-zone drill and later made an 11-yard catch on fourth-and-10, sustaining a two-minute drive that ultimately resulted in a field goal.

“He’s kind of the perfect guy to play in the slot,” said coach Lovie Smith. “He’s not the biggest guy around, but he’s got great quickness, runs great routes and has good hands. He’s a confident player.

“He came here looking to earn a position on the team. We give everybody an opportunity to show what they can do. He’s taken advantage of a lot of reps he’s gotten also. As a rookie you want to stand out and make some plays, and we’ve all noticed him just about every practice. He’s doing a great job.”

Also in Sunday’s practice, receiver Earl Bennett made up for a drop in the red zone by catching two TD passes from Jay Cutler, including one juggling grab with safety Chris Harris drapall over him.

Cutler generally looked sharp in the drill, but made one mistake when he tried to squeeze a pass into tight coverage over the middle and it was intercepted by middle linebacker Brian Urlacher.

Cutler later produced the play of the day in 11-on-11 drills when he connected with receiver Devin Hester deep down the right sideline, dropping the ball between Harris and cornerback Tim Jennings.

Nickel back D.J. Moore again showed his ball skills by picking off a Hanie pass that was deflected by rookie safety Chris Conte.

The first- and second-team offenses produced Robbie Gould field goals of 44 and 38 yards to cap two-minute drills. Cutler completed passes of 18 yards to a sliding Hester and 16 yards to receiver Sam Hurd. Hanie followed by connecting on throws of 19 and 15 yards to receiver Onrea Jones while also completing the aforementioned fourth-down pass to Sanzenbacher.

Seems he has a different view of himself and its translating to play time. He is making most of it.

Chicago Bears

Player: Receiver Dane Sanzenbacher

Comment: I have no idea if the Bears will have roster space for a rookie free agent from Ohio State, and who knows how Sanzenbacher will perform in the preseason. But he sure looked comfortable in the slot position of offensive coordinator Mike Martz's offense during the time I was at Bears camp.

Siefert

• 2 weeks later...
Jay Cutler not only knows who Sanzenbacher is but sounds interested in trying to find him more.

Cutler was the one who invited Sanzenbacher to appear alongside him on WSCR-AM's "Bears All Access,'' after Caleb Hanie canceled. And a week after calling Sanzenbacher a "mini-Wes Welker,'' on the show, Cutler complimented the wide receiver making the preseason impact Roy Williams was supposed to make.

"He's impressive,'' Cutler said Wednesday about Sanzenbacher. "Once we started putting a lot of stuff in, you could tell he was swimming a little bit. Now, I think once we really get all of the details to him he's going to be fine. He's going to be a guy I think we're going to use a lot, hopefully.''

When Cutler targeted Sanzenbacher twice in the two-minute drill Monday night against the Giants, it illustrated the growing confidence the Bears have in the quick, crafty 5-foot-11, 180-pounder whose immediate grasp of the offense shows. When it doesn't show, Cutler lets him know the way a veteran quarterback should — a telling sign that Sanzenbacher's development matters more than most rookies whose signing bonus was $5,000.

"Jay's been great,'' Sanzenbacher said. "Obviously he probably gets frustrated sometimes with me but really takes the time to go over the little things and echo what Coach (Mike) Martz says.''

The unexpected emergence of Sanzenbacher doesn't make Williams' diva act any more tolerable or Johnny Knox's mystery demotion any less curious. But it bodes well for a wide receiving corps likely to go the committee route again that Cutler already has such faith in the fifth or sixth member.

Link