We need to trade a DT

WheresMyronBaker

Looks like Denver is screwed up front and may be ready to entertain trying to pry some linemen away from other team. Quite frankly I believe there are too many DTs on the team. I think we need to act quick and send the big Toe over that way, even if its not an exhilarating haul in terms of draft picks. Between Melton and Okoye and Adams, you have a 3 man rotation. That doesnt even include Paea.

On that note - if we knew Melton was going to be ready to start and that we would be picking up Okoye....we would have been much better off with OL in rounds 2 and 3 would we not? Ug.

Looks like Denver is screwed up front and may be ready to entertain trying to pry some linemen away from other team. Quite frankly I believe there are too many DTs on the team. I think we need to act quick and send the big Toe over that way, even if its not an exhilarating haul in terms of draft picks. Between Melton and Okoye and Adams, you have a 3 man rotation. That doesnt even include Paea.

Why don't we hold onto everyone we've got in case WE have an injury instead of giving them up for collateral that we can't really use this year?

On that note - if we knew Melton was going to be ready to start and that we would be picking up Okoye....we would have been much better off with OL in rounds 2 and 3 would we not? Ug.

But Melton isn't ready to start and the draft happened roughly 3 months before Okoye was even released by the Texans.

Can they spare an OL?

Why don't we hold onto everyone we've got in case WE have an injury instead of giving them up for collateral that we can't really use this year?

But Melton isn't ready to start and the draft happened roughly 3 months before Okoye was even released by the Texans.

LT - Im clearly using hindsight on this. Thats kind of the point. I honesty dont expect the Toe to make the team which is part of my motivation.

LT - Im clearly using hindsight on this. Thats kind of the point. I honesty dont expect the Toe to make the team which is part of my motivation.

I expect him to make the team.

We usually keep 10 DL for the season and I see them as:

Idonije

Wooten

Peppers

Gholston

Melton

Toeania

Adams

Okoye

Paea

Harrison

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/team...2010_roster.htm

In case you want to count last year.

We never had more than 9 D-linemen last year. Your list included Mark Anderson, and it also left me with two questions:

1. Who the hell is Barry Turner

2. What the hell happened to him.

IMO, Harrison's gone. He was inactive all last year and showed up fat. I agree with the rest of your list.

Although I will add, this group is far more proven then last years. We had no idea what to expect from Henry Melton and we thought Tommie Harris would be hurt all year.

I can't see Toeania being active much. Although, we gave Toeania something like 6 million for 3 years. That an expensive back-up.

I expect him to make the team.

We usually keep 10 DL for the season and I see them as:

Idonije

Wooten

Peppers

Gholston

Melton

Toeania

Adams

Okoye

Paea

Harrison

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/team...2010_roster.htm

In case you want to count last year.

Guest TerraTor
We never had more than 9 D-linemen last year. Your list included Mark Anderson, and it also left me with two questions:

IMO, Harrison's gone. He was inactive all last year and showed up fat. I agree with the rest of your list.

Although I will add, this group is far more proven then last years. We had no idea what to expect from Henry Melton and we thought Tommie Harris would be hurt all year.

I can't see Toeania being active much. Although, we gave Toeania something like 6 million for 3 years. That an expensive back-up.

Guy does bust his ass though. Counts for a lot.

Guy does bust his ass though. Counts for a lot.

True, but on the d-line, we've traditionally not been that impressed with "bust ass" guys. If you don't believe me, how many times did we bench or deactivate Anthony Adams for guys like Tank, Dvoracek, or Harrison? We also kept moving Idonije around and rolling out Mark Anderson as a starter. We've been too concerned about "potential."

Just when think we've learned our lesson, by cutting Mark Anderson and resigning Adams & Toeania, we bring in Okoye & Gholston.

3 points

1. Even if they do only carry 9, why shouldn't we keep the best 9 available?

2. While in many circumstances Toeaina might not be active, what if we get a couple injuries? Wouldn't you rather have him coming off the bench than someone not as good?

3. $2 million per year is not much for a bonafide backup. Especially when it was probably front loaded and we aren't exactly looking to create more cap room.

I guess I see absolutely no reason to consider this unless we can leverage a player that can help us THIS year - and I don't see that happening.

I guess I see absolutely no reason to consider this unless we can leverage a player that can help us THIS year - and I don't see that happening.

The other side of that coin is...if a team will give added value for a player that will help them this year, then there's a benefit to the Bears to move now rather than later.

Starting nose tackle Anthony Adams remains sidelined with a left calf muscle injury. But the Bears appear to have so much talent that one scout attending the Bills game predicted "they're going to have to cut a good football player."

Second-round pick Stephen Paea has been too upright at times. His jersey number shows and that means he's not playing with proper pad level. He should come along and former Texans' first-round draft pick Amobi Okoye could figure in the mix. It means a veteran like Tank Tyler could be cut loose.

link

3 points

1. Even if they do only carry 9, why shouldn't we keep the best 9 available?

2. While in many circumstances Toeaina might not be active, what if we get a couple injuries? Wouldn't you rather have him coming off the bench than someone not as good?

3. $2 million per year is not much for a bonafide backup. Especially when it was probably front loaded and we aren't exactly looking to create more cap room.

LT - Im simply looking at it this way. IMO Toe is just here to potentially take PT away from younger or more talented guys....and I have a distinct aversion to cutting guys who have enough value to someone else to get something in return for. I seriously think barring a trade of one of these guys we'll see someone cut who is good enough to be in a rotation.

True, but on the d-line, we've traditionally not been that impressed with "bust ass" guys. If you don't believe me, how many times did we bench or deactivate Anthony Adams for guys like Tank, Dvoracek, or Harrison? We also kept moving Idonije around and rolling out Mark Anderson as a starter. We've been too concerned about "potential."

Just when think we've learned our lesson, by cutting Mark Anderson and resigning Adams & Toeania, we bring in Okoye & Gholston.

It kind of is like what you see with the O-line they are going with their draft picks. Why else would Harrison still be here? He should be behind Gilbert and Bazuin at the nearest job fair with resume in hand.

Melton is gonna start , The result of this camp and preseason will prove that out Paea is whole other storie.

dont they play the 3-4 in Denver? I dont think any of our DTs would fit there defensive front. May Melton at DE, but what happens is we take a stength and turn it into a weakness with one injury.

Nope Fox runs a 3-4 and Dummerville is elated

I would add that Toe would fit John Fox's type of player but no way do the give up Clady.

Toe will stay and Harrison will be cut. His attitude has shown he can not be depended on.

I agree. Harrison wasted his opportunity.

Sorry again but I'm new and can't understand how toe being cut or inactive could even be a thought. He was a beast for us last year and plays nose too. We really only have him,AA, and Pea that play nose. I see Pea being inactive as he is still learning and being groomed to asume the AA role. It wouldn't shock me too see Toe start week 1 with Henry with AA missing time and reps no matter how good he dances.

Beast or not, Comming into camp over weight and outa shape for the second year in row would draw the line with me, He took a bunch of heat last year for it and learned nothing. That tells me he is more interested in a pay check then playing ball on elite level. Now with okoye he plays the nose as well and is in phenominal shape. Harrison at this point is expendable, unless a unforseen injury comes into view. IMHO he will be released or traded if not now then later.

Beast or not, Comming into camp over weight and outa shape for the second year in row would draw the line with me, He took a bunch of heat last year for it and learned nothing. That tells me he is more interested in a pay check then playing ball on elite level. Now with okoye he plays the nose as well and is in phenominal shape. Harrison at this point is expendable, unle two ss a unforseen injury comes into view. IMHO he will be released or traded if not now then later.

My bad grizzly I was talking about Toe. Need a minute to get used to replying to the right thread of thought but offer still stands on Toe now harrison on the other hand was cut in the associations mind when oke racked up two sacks the other night