Forte should get Gore money

Guest TerraTor

Guest TerraTor

very similar players. Feature back, Forte not as many years obviously, but is proven reliable. And also not coming off injury

His new deal includes $13.5 Guaranteed.

Signed a 4YR Ext in 2007 worth $28Mil approx $14 Guaranteed

very similar players. Feature back, Forte not as many years obviously, but is proven reliable. And also not coming off injury

Think the only thing working against Matt in a deal like this is time (lacking in comparison to Gore) and the fact that Gore has had two Pro Bowls. And the Bears are aware they have a player like Bell in the wings. I hope not, but it "is a business".

Think the only thing working against Matt in a deal like this is time (lacking in comparison to Gore) and the fact that Gore has had two Pro Bowls. And the Bears are aware they have a player like Bell in the wings. I hope not, but it "is a business".

Bell is no Forte. He will get paid sooner or later.

Peace :dabears

The good thing is it set the market at what I think is a reasonable price. He's not Gore, no Pro Bowls, Gore has had to earn his accolades on a bad offense with QB issues as well so there's a solid comparison. Forte hasn't quite measured up to what Gore has done but he's not far behind and neither should his contract. I think the Bears will look for something a little longer term though, probably 4 years as suggested above. I'll say 4 years $32 mil and the guarantee in line with Gore's contract around $13-14 mil.

I like Matt Forte. I really do. At the same time, I also think he may be a little over-hyped around here.

Yesterday I read fans questioning if they would trade Forte for Chris Johnson. Today, comparing Forte to Gore, in specifically comparing him to Gore in 2007 (as that was the contract discussed). When Gore signed that deal, he was coming off a season with about 1,700 yards (5.4 ypc avg) and 500 yards receiving.

Again, I like Forte, and I want to re-sign him, but I also don't want to simply give him whatever he wants.

Forte had just over 1,000 yards this past year. Yea, we didn't have a good OL or offense in general, but take a look at RBs who had more yards than Forte, and I think you will find several ran behind poor OLs and/or on bad offenses. McCoy (Phi), Benson (Cin), McFadden (Oak), Hillis (Cle), Jackson (StL), MJD (Jax), Charles (KC) & Foster (Hou) all had more yards than Forte, and all were on pretty poor offenses and/or behind bad OLs.

And before it's brought up, several had just as few carries as Forte.

Further, Forte has yet to be an effective blocker IMHO, which hurts/limits the offense.

Look, I'm not saying don't pay him. I'm not saying he isn't a good RB. I simply question the belief he is an elite RB. Heck, I'm not even sold he is a top 10 RB. Sure, he may be up there in FF due to his receiving, but as a RB in the real world? I'm not sold he is elite.

RB is one of those positions, IMHO, that you can more easily find solid players. Further, it's one of those positions where players more quickly break down. Thus I question giving out the huge contracts to RBs unless they are truly special. Now, I don't know what Forte is looking for. Maybe he is looking for a reasonable contract. But I just feel some put him on a higher tier than where he may belong.

The original post compared Forte today (market value) to Gore in 2007, when he received his contract. 2007 was Gore's 3rd season.

Honestly. I have been out of the loop a bit, and don't know what a fair contract for Forte is today. I simply believe (a) Forte may not be in the class some here put him and (B) I don't want to dish out a huge contract for a RB that isn't elite.

One thing to remember is that Forte is also quite a bit younger and has less wear/tear on him than Gore. That alone pushes his fair market value up somewhat.

Guest TerraTor

simple comparisons...

2008 Carries 316 - 3.9ave - 1238yrd

2010 Carries 237 - 4.5ave - 1069yrd

even if he gets the ave. a carry with the difference it would be

Carries 79 - 4.2Ave - 332yrds - 1400yrds.... Just sayin'.... And lets compare bears OL was god awful last year.. Is he Gore? No, is he as valueable? Yes sir

a player like Bell behind him? Seriously?

Yep. There is no questioning that Bell COULD be a good (maybe equal to Forte) running back. He has unknown potential and done pretty well when given the chance. And that bodes in the negative for Fortes leverage. Knowing it's "a business" the FO could say that if Forte wants top tier money they could counter with Bell. After all, another angle the team likes is nurturing it's youth. How many times have we heard how they didn't want to bring in "big name players" at WR or OL because they didn't want to hinder the youth development? Anyhow, I'm just saying that having a POTENTIAL up and comer in Bell could keep Fortes price more "reasonable".

One. Disagree you can simply do the math like that. Are you willing to do that for every RB out there? Other RBs had as few carries as Forte, but with solid or better ypc avg. Shall we do a little math and boost their numbers too? If so, I think we would see a shocking number of RBs with great stats. No. It just doesn't work that way. The only previous time he had over 300 carries, his ypc avg was below 4.0. How do you know more carries doesn't also equal lower ypc average as the body wears down. Maybe not, but that unknown is why you can't assume.

Yes, our OL was "god awful" last year, but go back to the list I provided of RBs who had more yards than Forte, and who also played beyond dreadful OLs or on awful offenses.

I said he was valuable. Never said otherwise. I'm only saying (a) he isn't elite as I think some Bear fans want to think he is and (B) we need to take a step back if we are looking to give him a huge payday.

simple comparisons...

2008 Carries 316 - 3.9ave - 1238yrd

2010 Carries 237 - 4.5ave - 1069yrd

even if he gets the ave. a carry with the difference it would be

Carries 79 - 4.2Ave - 332yrds - 1400yrds.... Just sayin'.... And lets compare bears OL was god awful last year.. Is he Gore? No, is he as valueable? Yes sir

Guest TerraTor
How many times have we heard how they didn't want to bring in "big name players" at WR or OL because they didn't want to hinder the youth development? Anyhow, I'm just saying that having a POTENTIAL up and comer in Bell could keep Fortes price more "reasonable".

Plenty of times. And how has that worked out for WR Corp and Oline..... I didnt wanna include the 2007 contract just did to show he bitched for money after an injury-plagued year and the extension totals are what i think Forte should get thats all i intended...... ... And to compare him to the 1stRd pick that year Chris Williams......well

Guest TerraTor
with all of the references to him being a marshall faulk type player, why not give him marshal faulk money :D

well there ya have it....

7yr...42.5Million for Rams

Exactly. Forte is a good back but nothing more, pay him a good back plus type of wage and if he is not happy let him go to Washington or somewhere and disappear and put Bell in in, who just might prove to be an upgrade or else find someone else....

I like Forte, but he is not worth big money right now.

Forte is solid but seriously overrated IMHO. I would be very surprised if he got more than Gore since talent wise Forte is inferior to Gore.

Here is Gore and Forte"s career stats

Gore 6yrs rushing 1371 att. 6,414 yds 4.7 avg receiving 270 catches 2,283 yds 8.5 avg per rec

Forte 3yrs rushing 811 att. 3,236 yds 4.0 avg receiving 171 catches 1,495 yds 8.7 avg per rec.

Lets factor in Forte gets more rushing attempts and is more durable and obviously more involved in the passing game and I would say the stats are comparable with Forte actually averaging more yards per season 1577 to Gore's 1449.5 over their careers. To me right now Forte may have the better future since Gore has not played a full season since 2006.

Forte has youth... Gore has pro bowls. He's arguably played being worse QB play than us. I just simply wouldn't want Gore at this point in his career...

Gore is the better RB right now. But Forte obviously has upside.

Here is Gore and Forte"s career stats

Gore 6yrs rushing 1371 att. 6,414 yds 4.7 avg receiving 270 catches 2,283 yds 8.5 avg per rec

Forte 3yrs rushing 811 att. 3,236 yds 4.0 avg receiving 171 catches 1,495 yds 8.7 avg per rec.

Lets factor in Forte gets more rushing attempts and is more durable and obviously more involved in the passing game and I would say the stats are comparable with Forte actually averaging more yards per season 1577 to Gore's 1449.5 over their careers. To me right now Forte may have the better future since Gore has not played a full season since 2006.