2012 Offensive Starters

jason

I got to thinking about the draft today, and what the team needs. I figured, the starters have to be determined, don't they?

Obvious starters at their current positions are Cutler and Forte. After that, is there one?! The mere fact the question is feasible is serious cause for concern.

FWIW, this is how I hope it plays out:

LT - Gabe Carimi (comes back from injury and proves he is a stud)

LG - Carl Nicks (a massive FA addition for the Bears)

C - Roberto Garza (has to do it for one more year)

RG - Lance Louis (gets rewarded for effort, moved back to where he is better suited and showed more promise)

RT - Chris Williams (finally stays healthy - remember that he was doing well before having to cover for Pace's ass on the left side)

WR1 - Vincent Jackson (JA is allegedly going to spend, right?)

WR2 - 2nd round draft choice (plenty available - whoever is most ready)

WR3 - Bennett (surest hands on the team)

WR4 - Knox (assuming he recovers)

TE - Davis (could have a breakout year with this supporting cast)

FB - Clutts (I like the kid)

Backup QB - Kyle Orton (seriously)

Backup RB - Barber (just for the short distances and GL carries)

That offense leads the Bears to the Super Bowl. Period. The OL would give Jay a ton of time to throw, open holes for Forte (particularly on the left), and the WR combo would be very good.

It's a dream! I'm sold! Can you please take over for JA?

What about on D?

I got to thinking about the draft today, and what the team needs. I figured, the starters have to be determined, don't they?

Obvious starters at their current positions are Cutler and Forte. After that, is there one?! The mere fact the question is feasible is serious cause for concern.

RG - Lance Louis (gets rewarded for effort, moved back to where he is better suited and showed more promise)

RT - Chris Williams (finally stays healthy - remember that he was doing well before having to cover for Pace's ass on the left side)

That offense leads the Bears to the Super Bowl. Period. The OL would give Jay a ton of time to throw, open holes for Forte (particularly on the left), and the WR combo would be very good.

I don't agree with moving Chris Williams to RT. He hasn't played well there (yes it was limited time but he just hasn't). He has done a good job as a guard and he should stay there.

Bears need to get a wide-out, whether its Jackson, Bowe, etc, they need a legit #1 plus they need to invest in a wideout via the draft.

The way Bennett was playing, I could see him being our #2 for certain, possibly #1. If he's a #3 on this team, we better have a miraculous free agency - just saying.

He will get his time to shine, and with what I've seen from him thus far, it should be great. Excellent hands, coordination, understanding of the field, can't complain.

health, like many of our guys, seems to be a concern for him.

The way Bennett was playing, I could see him being our #2 for certain, possibly #1. If he's a #3 on this team, we better have a miraculous free agency - just saying.

He will get his time to shine, and with what I've seen from him thus far, it should be great. Excellent hands, coordination, understanding of the field, can't complain.

Damn that would be sweet, Not sure if i would want to try Carmi or Williams at LT. I would hope Williams with a couple of years under his belt may be able to handle the LT side now. Most DE's attacking the Left side are quicker DE's, isnt that what Williams is better suited for?

Love the Nicks, Jackson and Orton pick up. Disagree on Carimi, I think he should stay on the right. To me, Williams is a better fit on the left. Paired with Nicks, I think he does ok. Still would like to use the first rounder on a left tackle.

I think that Nicks and Jackson will be either re-signed before FA or franchised and Orton as a backup would only be if he can't get a gig where he has a shot at starting - which should happen. Nice pipedream, but tha's all it is.

I think that Nicks and Jackson will be either re-signed before FA or franchised and Orton as a backup would only be if he can't get a gig where he has a shot at starting - which should happen. Nice pipedream, but tha's all it is.

Agreed on all counts, but the groundwork is laid for the dream offseason.

I think only one starter on the offensive line gets replaced whether that is because of a draftee or a signing via free agency. The line isn't getting any help now thanks to the scheme and without two of their only offensive weapons. Knox is gone, Williams is gone, Hester gets restricted to only special teams, Sanzenbacher is probably either gone or just doesn't play, and Earl Bennett is the only guy that should remain with us as a starter at WR. That means we will need atleast two receivers (a #1 and a #2) to come from either the draft or free agency. I'd like to get Carl Nicks and or Vincent Jackson but its likely that both will either be resigned or franchised again. If that's the case, the man to get in free agency is Mario Williams; keep our defense competitive for another few seasons before Urlacher has to retire and then we'll be looking for his replacement in another year or two.

The receiving position should be #1 on the Bears list because of all the guys that won't be here next year (And its not like they were that good anyways). I don't know how it will play out but if we can come away with 2 quality receivers along with atleast one or two talented offensive lineman, a ball hawking FS, and a young CB I'll be a happy man.

Carimii is not a LT. Scouts projected him as a good run blocker and Tice has even said as much. Leave him at RT and hope that his knee, which many had red-flagged going into the draft, doesn't come back to haunt us.

You're right about him being projected by most to be a RT (I was trying to make the best scenario possible), but what's confusing to me is:

1. Carimi is the best OL talent the Bears have

2. The Bears OL is not good

3. Webb is probably the worst starter on the OL

4. Webb is playing at LT

5. A weak LT is one of the most terrifying ideas for an already shaken, and apparently injury-prone QB

6. Virtually nobody wants to move Carimi to LT

7. The top level LTs in the NFL right now are almost exclusively drafted in the first round, and the ones who aren't are almost all from the second round (Jason Peters excluded)

8. The WR talent pool this year is deep (5-6 1st round talents), and the LT talent pool (3 LTs by my count are 1st rounders) this year is shallow

Yet so many want to draft a WR in the first round. :huh: It just doesn't add up.

Carimii is not a LT. Scouts projected him as a good run blocker and Tice has even said as much. Leave him at RT and hope that his knee, which many had red-flagged going into the draft, doesn't come back to haunt us.

Who had Carimi red flagged due to his knee? This sounds like revisionist history (or confusion with Williams' back) Please provide links.

You're right about him being projected by most to be a RT (I was trying to make the best scenario possible), but what's confusing to me is:

4. Webb is playing at LT

5. A weak LT is one of the most terrifying ideas for an already shaken, and apparently injury-prone QB

7. The top level LTs in the NFL right now are almost exclusively drafted in the first round, and the ones who aren't are almost all from the second round (Jason Peters excluded)

8. The WR talent pool this year is deep (5-6 1st round talents), and the LT talent pool (3 LTs by my count are 1st rounders) this year is shallow

Yet so many want to draft a WR in the first round. :huh: It just doesn't add up.

Depends on who's available...I figure when we draft as of now two OL prospects could be available Jonathan Martin OT and David DeCastro G both from Stanford. The kid from Iowa is mocking around 10 or above lately so its hard to say if we have a chance with him. We can also be sitting with Michael Floyd WR , Quinton Coples DE, or Alfonzo Dennard CB in front of us.

Replacing Webb is my #1 priority. I think if everyone comes back healthy we would be better with: LT Martin/Webb? LG Williams C Garza RG Louis/Nicks RT Carimi

jason, you have the tenacity of a honey badger regarding the OL!

I believe to the vast majority here, and I apologize if I am wrong, we want an OL and WR as the first 2 picks. We don't want to reach for either. So whichever fits the slot is the way we'd go.

And on top of that, i think most want an OL and WR in FA as well... Those 2 slots are of huge concern. Cutler has proven he can make a lot out of complete garbage. Give him bumps up in both categories and I think we could start seeing something truly special.

4. Webb is playing at LT

I have no links, but I do recall something of that nature. Not nearly as much of a flag as Williams, but I believe there was something going around.

That's all off my strange recollection...

Here's something...

http://nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile...1&genpos=OT

carimi.JPG

Who had Carimi red flagged due to his knee? This sounds like revisionist history (or confusion with Williams' back) Please provide links.

I have no links, but I do recall something of that nature. Not nearly as much of a flag as Williams, but I believe there was something going around.

That's all off my strange recollection...

Here's something...

http://nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile...1&genpos=OT

carimi.JPG

Missed 2 games due to injury in 2008? Really?

My main point is that if it were such a huge red flag as has been suggested, then headlines after the draft would have read "ANGELO DRAFTS ANOTHER INJURY RISK IN 1ST ROUND!"

We didn't see anything like that AT ALL. In fact, there was nothing mentioned like that at all at the time or the Angelo haters would have jumped all over it both then AND when he got injured.

I'm going to guess that he meant to put "yellow" flagged. It was mentioned numerous times lately on the Score w/ Hub about how many teams had him flagged but they all said it wouldn't have stopped them from drafting him.

jason, you have the tenacity of a honey badger regarding the OL!

I believe to the vast majority here, and I apologize if I am wrong, we want an OL and WR as the first 2 picks. We don't want to reach for either. So whichever fits the slot is the way we'd go.

And on top of that, i think most want an OL and WR in FA as well... Those 2 slots are of huge concern. Cutler has proven he can make a lot out of complete garbage. Give him bumps up in both categories and I think we could start seeing something truly special.

It's only because I'm sick of watching the Bears fail because of the same reason year after year after year, only to see little done to address it. Meanwhile, the D gets focus every single year.

As for what everyone wants, you're probably right. But I think there are many who think WR is a need far above OL, rather than the other way around. Further, I still contend upgrading the OL could do more for the overall offense, particularly the WRs, than the other way around.

FWIW - I recall the Carimi as a RT talk, but don't remember a thing about knee problems.

As for what everyone wants, you're probably right. But I think there are many who think WR is a need far above OL, rather than the other way around. Further, I still contend upgrading the OL could do more for the overall offense, particularly the WRs, than the other way around.

Seriously, look at this list of WR's:

Bennett (actually good but not great)

Knox (will be lucky if he plays football again)

Hester (belongs on ST)

Sanzenbacher (right now a 5th-6th WR at best)

Roy Williams (should be gone next year, is a FA anyway).

Hurd (one of Chicago's largest drug dealers)

Add in Davis, an average-at-best TE, and it's no mystery here why the RB's are the Bears most reliable passing targets. There's 1 guy in that list who really ought to be getting regular playing time as a top 3 WR, and he keeps getting hurt for 1/2 the season.

Agreed! (But I think the same sentiment can be applied to the WR position too!)

I'm about 51/49... 51 WR, 49 OL. But, for me, it's just most important to get the most out of each pick at our spot. Each are pretty much of equal importance I think. Also, had we not spent our 1st pick on OL last season, then it'd be a slam dunk for me w/ going OL first.

I'll be happy if either position is addressed...and hopefully with someone not injury prone or a bust!

:cheers

It's only because I'm sick of watching the Bears fail because of the same reason year after year after year, only to see little done to address it. Meanwhile, the D gets focus every single year.

FWIW - I recall the Carimi as a RT talk, but don't remember a thing about knee problems.

Like I said earlier...I don't have the original reviews, etc...I searched and found that. I didn't want to waste much more time on it since it's not really all that important in the grand scheme of things.

I am not swearing on the Bible, etc...just saying I recall something of the sort.

You cannot prove a negative, so until someone finds evidence of the mention, we can all assume that JA oddly enough didn't botch this one.

Missed 2 games due to injury in 2008? Really?

My main point is that if it were such a huge red flag as has been suggested, then headlines after the draft would have read "ANGELO DRAFTS ANOTHER INJURY RISK IN 1ST ROUND!"

We didn't see anything like that AT ALL. In fact, there was nothing mentioned like that at all at the time or the Angelo haters would have jumped all over it both then AND when he got injured.

There is no way that Bennett is a #1. He isn't near athletic enough. He is mr steady with his hands and a good route runner but he is nothing more than a #2, imo. And I love Earl. Easily my favorite wideout on the Bears (not that it says anything).