Rams deal #2 to Skins

rockren

Bring back the Waynes and the Clarks.....allow the former Ravens' DC to build a young defense with all of those picks....

they'd compete.

Seriously though, with Manning being a huge cap hit, Freeney being a huge cap hit, and the team already starting to go downhill before Manning got hurt, their position on bringing those guys back was horrible. It's never easy to know exact numbers, but I mean, they just cut so many guys, Clark, Addai, Bullitt, Brackett, and they're still not in great shape. And that was with Wayne, Garcon, Mathis, and more already being free agents.

Bringing guys back would have been really, really rough, and they really couldn't have restructured Manning's deal to save anything since he was just in the first year of it.

Seriously though, with Manning being a huge cap hit, Freeney being a huge cap hit, and the team already starting to go downhill before Manning got hurt, their position on bringing those guys back was horrible. It's never easy to know exact numbers, but I mean, they just cut so many guys, Clark, Addai, Bullitt, Brackett, and they're still not in great shape. And that was with Wayne, Garcon, Mathis, and more already being free agents.

Bringing guys back would have been really, really rough, and they really couldn't have restructured Manning's deal to save anything since he was just in the first year of it.

If this is all spot on (which I believe it to be) then the Colts had no business giving Manning 100 Mil before last year if this is the case.

I believe Manning's football team is a 10 win team pretty much no matter what team he plays on....if Luck flops (I don't think he will, but there is never a lock) the Colts never may get back there.

But you can't take the player out of the equation, that's the whole issue. They get a QB that presumably they think is a legit #1 guy. If he winds up being that, a multi-year pro-bowler at that position, that's worth multiple draft picks.

I think in the case of a draft pick you can. They are not trading for a known commodity like the Bears did with Cutler.

RGIII is awesome, and I love him as a player and hope he has a great career, but you can't mortgage that much of your future to get one guy. The way I see it, the draft is where you get value on your team with the new salary constraints for rookies. Basically Washington is doing that, but only at the QB position, and they were not just one player away from being a contender. Instead of having cheap talent, like Denver, they will have to find everything else thru FA, which you can only do so much with the cap.

That division is pretty brutal with NYG, DAL, and PHI to play 6 times a year.

They would've been better served to draft Tannehill at #6 (or even later for that matter) and keep their future picks to build around him.

If this is all spot on (which I believe it to be) then the Colts had no business giving Manning 100 Mil before last year if this is the case.

I believe Manning's football team is a 10 win team pretty much no matter what team he plays on....if Luck flops (I don't think he will, but there is never a lock) the Colts never may get back there.

I can't say exactly what they were thinking, but if they thought they had a shot at one more run at a title last year with Manning, then it makes some sense...because if you've just had a super bowl run but then you have to replace people for cap reasons, people won't mind quite as much.

I can't say exactly what they were thinking, but if they thought they had a shot at one more run at a title last year with Manning, then it makes some sense...because if you've just had a super bowl run but then you have to replace people for cap reasons, people won't mind quite as much.

I don't think anybody was surprised when they gave Manning the 100 million $$$ deal. He ended the previous season as arguably the best QB in football. Hell, Philly gave Vick a 100 $$$ deal.

I always view it as every year you do everything you can to win the Super Bowl. Don't worry too much about the future.

The Colts were trying to win a Super Bowl last year. Without Manning they were the worst team in the league. It makes sense to blow it up.

I don't think anybody was surprised when they gave Manning the 100 million $$$ deal. He ended the previous season as arguably the best QB in football. Hell, Philly gave Vick a 100 $$$ deal.

I always view it as every year you do everything you can to win the Super Bowl. Don't worry too much about the future.

The Colts were trying to win a Super Bowl last year. Without Manning they were the worst team in the league. It makes sense to blow it up.

I don't disagree, however....if you're going to blow it up....why not wait another year and give Manning a shot while aqcuiring a bunch of draft picks as well?

I know Luck is a special prospect, but MERCY!

I don't disagree, however....if you're going to blow it up....why not wait another year and give Manning a shot while aqcuiring a bunch of draft picks as well?

They went all in last year, waiting for him to play and looked what happened. I think they are more aware of his injuries than anybody else and anybody getting Manning is taking a big risk. I think if they are going to be bad, might as well rebuild. They know they have the of the best prospects to come along in many years at QB, so a perfect time to go young.

In a QB driven lieague Luck represents the potential for 10 years of playoff caliber teams and that sells tickets. Keep Manning around along with a few more high draft picks and yes, you might get back to the Superbowl but consider that the team was so bad without Manning in all phases of the game and I think the owner sees the writing on the wall that it's time to start the rebuilding process. Would they make the playoffs with Manning for a couple more years? Likely. Would they be Superbowl contenders while they wait for those high picks to develop, I don't think so. If I were the owner I'd be hedging my bets the same way with the longer future of good teams versus a short but aggressive stab at one more Superbowl.

Yep. The Colts see Luck as the next Peyton Manning. It's one helluva a gamble, but if they are right, it'll be worth it.

On a side note, if RG3 is worth 3 #1's and a #2, what would Luck be worth?

In a QB driven lieague Luck represents the potential for 10 years of playoff caliber teams and that sells tickets. Keep Manning around along with a few more high draft picks and yes, you might get back to the Superbowl but consider that the team was so bad without Manning in all phases of the game and I think the owner sees the writing on the wall that it's time to start the rebuilding process. Would they make the playoffs with Manning for a couple more years? Likely. Would they be Superbowl contenders while they wait for those high picks to develop, I don't think so. If I were the owner I'd be hedging my bets the same way with the longer future of good teams versus a short but aggressive stab at one more Superbowl.

If Minnesota just packs it in for the last 2 weeks of the year, Peterson doesn't tear his ACL, and they lose to Washington, thus giving them the #2 pick and thus giving them a king's ransom for that pick which essentially sets them up for a great future with lots of high draft picks.

So, thanks, morons. :headbang

If Minnesota just packs it in for the last 2 weeks of the year, Peterson doesn't tear his ACL, and they lose to Washington, thus giving them the #2 pick and thus giving them a king's ransom for that pick which essentially sets them up for a great future with lots of high draft picks.

So, thanks, morons. :headbang

Seriously think that Minny woudln't have just drafted Griffin?