Shea McClellin - DE - Boise S

DABEARSDABOMB

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Meanwhile, the Patriots get both Chandler Jones and Donta Hightower..

Which goes right towards what I said earlier. It's not a smart pick just because the Bears did something nearly none of us wanted or expected. It's only a smart pick when selections like this one turn the Bears into a perennial powerhouse that threatens for the SB every year. Until then, it looks like a bad fit from either a HC pushing his opinions on a GM or a GM taking a risk when one wasn't necessary.

and make playoffs yet again

Bill Bellicheck is just smarter than everybody else. They knew what they needed to get and they went out and got it. Jones is a balanced DE with hybrid like ability and Hightower is a brick wall MLB that can disrupt plays in the back field. McClellin is going to get blown up against the run by the bigger OL. God I hate this pick so damn much.

That's what they're saying, and that's what I hope, but I don't see it. He's too small and weak to be an every down DE. That's why everyone said he fits as a 3-4 guy, not a 4-3 guy.

I've read a few people compare him to Jared Allen. Tons of speed and just a huge motor. He clearly needs to add some strength but New England and Green Bay were two of the teams that had fallen hard for him. I know the Pats have missed on some picks lately but those are two of the better scouting teams out there. I'm just going to sit back and hope Emery knows what he's doing. He's a great scout and hopefully he's right.

Bears needed an end anyway and its always a bit of a crapshoot, I'm glad they got the right position (assuming they had Reiff as an RT, in which case, I'm fine they passed on him, if they graded him as an LT, then they should have taken him).

Bill Bellicheck is just smarter than everybody else. They knew what they needed to get and they went out and got it. Jones is a balanced DE with hybrid like ability and Hightower is a brick wall MLB that can disrupt plays in the back field. McClellin is going to get blown up against the run by the bigger OL. God I hate this pick so damn much.

Part of the reason the Pats moved up, if you believe reports, is because they lost out on Shea and Jones was the only other guy that they liked which filled there need.

It was mostly late first/ early 2nd. Most had the Pats taking him. I'm very wait and see on this. I was intrigued by Jones who the Pats picked.

Belichick was probably laughing his ass off as he was making the trade too pick behind us too. Sorry guys, there were 10 guys I'd have picked before this one. Hate it, but giving it a chance now that it's done.

Hopefully a trade is going to occur???

Guest TerraTor

lowest reps at Combine for DE's

I've read a few people compare him to Jared Allen. Tons of speed and just a huge motor. He clearly needs to add some strength but New England and Green Bay were two of the teams that had fallen hard for him. I know the Pats have missed on some picks lately but those are two of the better scouting teams out there. I'm just going to sit back and hope Emery knows what he's doing. He's a great scout and hopefully he's right.

Bears needed an end anyway and its always a bit of a crapshoot, I'm glad they got the right position (assuming they had Reiff as an RT, in which case, I'm fine they passed on him, if they graded him as an LT, then they should have taken him).

But GB and NE play what kind of defense again? Oh, that's right, 3-4. Which makes sense why they'd be high on McClellin. What do the Bears play? Not the 3-4? Oops. You are right, however, about NE and GB having great scouting.

I hope your optimism pays off, and I hope the guy turns into a legit DE for 4 downs straight, but I'm pessimistic.

Guest TerraTor

um no, because he is white... like every white safety is John Lynch....

Skip Bayless likes the pick for the Bears, haha. As long as McClellin starts and performs, I'll eat my words. I'm still mad they didn't go with a different DE with legit size.

Oh God. If Skip Bayless likes the pick we could be in serious trouble.

Problem with the Jared Allen comparison is that Allen is 6-6, speed and motor. Same with Peppers only he's 6-7. That's what you want from your every down DE who can get to the QB. It's not about speed as much as it is the combintation of speed and length. I haven't checked his wing-span, but at 6-3, I doubt he has the wing-span necessary to be elite.

Again, if he's a 3-4 he can drop back in coverage and then use his speed. He just doesn't look like an every down 4-3 DE.

Problem with the Jared Allen comparison is that Allen is 6-6, speed and motor. Same with Peppers only he's 6-7. That's what you want from your every down DE who can get to the QB. It's not about speed as much as it is the combintation of speed and length. I haven't checked his wing-span, but at 6-3, I doubt he has the wing-span necessary to be elite.

Again, if he's a 3-4 he can drop back in coverage and then use his speed. He just doesn't look like an every down 4-3 DE.

You do realize that McClellin ran a 4.6, and his motor is one of the things that has been praised.

From NFL.com combine profile page:

McClellin has started three consecutive years at defensive end for Boise State. He is an undersized DE who 3-4 teams will value at the OLB position in their schemes. At just under 260 pounds, he can struggle at times against bigger linemen, but he is a decent prospect at the position and has fifth-round value, especially as a swing player.

5th round value? wow....

Here is the combine comparison to Clay Matthews:

Matthews - (6'3", 240) - 4.67 secs 40-yard, 23 reps, 35.5 inch vert jump, 121-inch broad jump, 6.90 secs 3-cone, 4.18 secs 20 yd shuttle

McClellin - (6'3", 260) - 4.63 secs 40-yard, 19 reps, 31.5 inch vert jump, 118-inch broad jump, 7.07 3-cone, 4.33 secs 20 yd shuttle

McClellin held his own vs Matthews and is 20 lbs heavier and faster?

This.

Peace :dabears

From NFL.com combine profile page:

5th round value? wow....

Here is the combine comparison to Clay Matthews:

Matthews - (6'3", 240) - 4.67 secs 40-yard, 23 reps, 35.5 inch vert jump, 121-inch broad jump, 6.90 secs 3-cone, 4.18 secs 20 yd shuttle

McClellin - (6'3", 260) - 4.63 secs 40-yard, 19 reps, 31.5 inch vert jump, 118-inch broad jump, 7.07 3-cone, 4.33 secs 20 yd shuttle

McClellin held his own vs Matthews and is 20 lbs heavier and faster?

Was Matthews bench press reps recorded before or after steroids/HGH? I assume it's the former