Shea McClellin - DE - Boise S

DABEARSDABOMB

Jared Allen is 6'6, McClellin is 6'3. That's a HUGE difference. At least Allen is tall enough to be able to tip passes when he can't get to the QB. McClellin will not be able to do this as easy. He's got an awful lot of obstacles going against him to succeed. He's playing out of position, he's not tall, and he's not big. Motor only gets you so far. I worry about the talent side of it, which is why I hate the pick for a 4-3 defense. I'd love it if we had switched to a 3-4 and we used this pick to start bringing in guys that fit that system... I don't see how McClellin fits this system.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Things that i like about this kid:

Relentless

High Motor

4.6 forty

Lets face it, speed kills and if this guys is as quick and as fast as Dwight Freeney then Emery may have something here.

The more I read about this guy and watch high lights on him- the more I like about him.

If guys like Lovie/Marinelli say SMC is a DE.........he's a DE. They've seen enough DEs to know what they look like.

Jared Allen is 6'6, McClellin is 6'3. That's a HUGE difference. At least Allen is tall enough to be able to tip passes when he can't get to the QB. McClellin will not be able to do this as easy. He's got an awful lot of obstacles going against him to succeed. He's playing out of position, he's not tall, and he's not big. Motor only gets you so far. I worry about the talent side of it, which is why I hate the pick for a 4-3 defense. I'd love it if we had switched to a 3-4 and we used this pick to start bringing in guys that fit that system... I don't see how McClellin fits this system.

He played DE in college and will play DE for the Bears. How is he playing out of position? Urlacher is not playing Safety for us.

Look at the list of leading sackers in the league last year, and you will see many 6-3 6-4 players on that list.

You're right; he wasn't a reach. He just wasn't a great fit in many peoples' opinion. The comparisons to Allen and Matthews are interesting, but both of those guys have proven themselves to be very abnormal high motor guys. The combine is not the NFL field, and both Allen and Matthews have shown that it takes tranquilizers for them to stop chasing the ball.

Their job is on the line, so I trust they did there homework, and I will trust them till the tale of the tape tells us otherwise.

I had no idea that Allen is listed at 6-6 because the way he plays looks as though he is always able to get under his opposing OT and use leverage so if he is truly 6-6 I'm a little more impressed about him. In reality I hate him because he seems like a modern day version of Mark Gastineau celebrating every sack with his rodeo style antics.

Playing out of position? He's playing the same position he played in college.

He's not tall? He's the same height as Terrell Suggs and two inches taller than Dwight Freeney.

He's not big? He weighs the same +/- 8lbs (which can be changed through training) as Jared Allen, Dwight Freeney, Terrell Suggs, and Andre Carter.

Dude - you just don't know WTF you are talking about.

He's not tall? He's the same height as Terrell Suggs and two inches taller than Dwight Freeney.

He's not big? He weighs the same +/- 8lbs (which can be changed through training) as Jared Allen, Dwight Freeney, Terrell Suggs, and Andre Carter.

As if it needed to be mentioned another time.. Most NFL scouts had McClellin scouted as an OLB. That's what he played at the Senior bowl. He wasn't strictly a DE at Boise either. He played multiple positions.

Suggs is a 3-4 OLB. Dumb comparison. Andre Carter kept going back in forth between 3-4 LB and 4-3 end. Also was a better prospect than McClellin. Taken 7th overall, won award for nation's best defensive player in college.

Dwight Freeney was a much better prospect coming out of college than Shea McClellin. Only a two year starter, he still managed to rack up a total of 34 sacks, 17.5 of which came during his senior year. Not to mention his 4.4 forty time and a 40 inch vertical jump.

And finally, as previously stated, Jared Allen is 3 inches taller than Shea, which is a big difference. Quite honestly, there really aren't too many guys I can think of that you can really make a comparison. Maybe Jason Babin, is about the only one off the top of my head.

Mercilus, Irvin. Perry, Ingram Just name DE taken the first day of the draft.

Look at these and tell me who you would have. These are weakness ID'd by a Tv analyst

1>is undersized and could have issues against stronger offensive tackles. He is a long strider who takes too many steps to get to full speed and looks lost at times when diagnosing run plays. He is an effective player when moving decisively, but he can be out of place at times. Once in the backfield, he has trouble readjusting his body to get a clear burst toward the quarterback.

2. Although he was effective as a run defender in his senior year, for the better part of his career he struggled to stay on the field on non-passing downs. He is inexperienced as a three-down defender, and it remains to be seen if he can be a reliable option defending the run. He also surprisingly struggles when given the task of covering tight ends one-on-one, and up to this point has been widely considered a pass rush only option for the defense.

3.his motor was the only question mark throughout his collegiate career. At times, he disappeared from the action. While he is a great interior player, he didn't see much action outside the box and his lateral movement can be an Achilles heel for him when running down plays. There are also question marks surrounding his ability to use his hands, and his ability to ignite his feet and hips to make quick-twitch plays. He can seem as if he's moving in slow motion at times.

4.The weaknesses in his play as a defensive tackle are all about physical limitations, such as height, weight and arm length. His short arms and size make it tough for him to eliminate double teams playing inside, and there are uncertainties about his effectiveness there at the next level. He'll also have to prove he has the first step to play defensive end and the movement skills to be moved to linebacker.

5. will have a tough time convincing teams, even though he has been productive, to take a shot on him early in the draft because of his size. He has displayed enough athletic ability for teams to consider him at outside backer, but he could stand to lose weight as he enters the next level.

6.His feet are slowed by his instincts as he oftentimes gets caught looking into the backfield and hesitates when diagnosing the run. He can get occupied by bigger, stronger blockers and tends to shut it down completely in these looks. He is more quick than explosive. He is a drag-down tackler who relies on his weight and is inconsistent in his wrap-up form.

Now after scoping these weaknesses who is better suited? Ill give ya who they are after you pick the number you think is the best.

As per the SCORE, McClellin doesn't have the wide frame that other guys the same height have. He also lacks ideal DE strength. He did something like 19 reps which is good for a linebacker but bad for a DE. They also say when he lines up with his hand on the ground, he gets taken out easily.

Fortunately, IMO, the main thing we'll ask him to do his rookie year is beat the edge and get to the QB.

As if it needed to be mentioned another time.. Most NFL scouts had McClellin scouted as an OLB. That's what he played at the Senior bowl. He wasn't strictly a DE at Boise either. He played multiple positions.

Suggs is a 3-4 OLB. Dumb comparison. Andre Carter kept going back in forth between 3-4 LB and 4-3 end. Also was a better prospect than McClellin. Taken 7th overall, won award for nation's best defensive player in college.

Dwight Freeney was a much better prospect coming out of college than Shea McClellin. Only a two year starter, he still managed to rack up a total of 34 sacks, 17.5 of which came during his senior year. Not to mention his 4.4 forty time and a 40 inch vertical jump.

And finally, as previously stated, Jared Allen is 3 inches taller than Shea, which is a big difference. Quite honestly, there really aren't too many guys I can think of that you can really make a comparison. Maybe Jason Babin, is about the only one off the top of my head.

On a post I submitted, Food for thought, I list 7 of the leading DEs sackers that are similar in size. I did list J. Allen who is 2.5 inches taller but listed him because he came from Idaho State, because you used the small school argument. There are 5, mind you 5 that you can completely compare to our pick.

But as you have did before , dont let the facts get in the way of your argument.

When you watch the tape, he plays better in a 3 point stance.

What a debate and where to start. First, IIRC, in our scheme our DE first responsibility is to get upfield and have outside containment on running plays thus forcing the ball to the LB or safety (whichever has that assignment based on personnel). If it's a pass keep moving and hit the QB. The physical attributes needed for this as smaller DE's usually in the 260-270lb range. They are not expected to line up mano-a-mano with the OT and cover 2 gaps. We need quickness to get upfield and enough strength to hold that edge without getting washed out of the play. In this case the strength I'm more interested in is leg and core strength versus bench press. Our DE's are trying to get around and underneath the OT block.

These physical attributes mirror closely what 3-4 teams look for in their "rush" OLB. PRobably the big difference is the need for a OLB to flip their hips and run without tripping over their own feet when dropping into pass coverage on a TE or RB. I would say though most often these rush ends drop into zone coverages where they are still facing the QB while pressure comes from the other side.

Regardless, teams with Tampa 2 and 3-4 schemes need players with the very similar physical attributes. Some of the players are more LB than DE (Clay Mathews) and others are more DE than LB (Suggs - who was nothing but DE at ASU).

Many years ago Lovie said he never had trouble finding his lighter DE's in 2nd or 3rd RD because at the time few teams ran a 3-4 and most teams with 4-3 wanted bigger DE's to cover two gaps. Remember the Greg Blache days. Not true today with so many 3-4 teams. Much of that likely linked to the rules changes that opened up the passing game over the last decade.

Height...the trend lately has been to have more pass rushers closer to 6' than taller. OTs OTOH are going the other way...taller. Why is James Harrison so hard to block by a 6'8" OT? He gets really low when he bends down to turn the corner and he has unbelievable strength when doing it. Jared Allen at his height can do it too and he's really quick coming out of the bend. SMC has that same ability, I think that's clear on his highlight tapes, and also the quickness needed to get to the edge. Given the level of competition he had I'm not sure he has the strength to make it work against NFL OTs. He'll need that for run support too. If he has the motor and the desire he reportedly has he should have already found the weight room at Halas Hall.

One more thing on SMC. One scouting report said he had "quick violent hands". Those of us old enough to remember Bruce Lee know what that means. Not putting SMC in that level but "Power in mechanical systems is the combination of forces and movement" P=F*V (sorry I'm an engineer). Even though SMC isn't the strongest upper body he has enough functional strength with quick hands to get the blockers hands off him so he is free to move.

Competition in the draft.

I didn't see much of Mercilus breaking off an OT block to make a sack. He usually beat them with his speed and doesn't really bend and hold the edge well. It's why I wasn't so high on him. Not a lot of strength or quickness to get off blocks for run support.

Perry. I thought he was quicker getting to the edge than Mercilus and was better at getting around the corner too. I liked him and thought we'd take him. I was dead wrong but we'll get to see him twice a year....against Webb.

Late riser Chandler Jones. Didn't see much flexibility in him either. He's taller and fits the mold some on the board were looking for and he did seem to do very well getting blockers off him so he can move to inside or outside. Not overly quick off the LOS and he's a long strider so it takes him a bit to get up to speed when chasing plays. Also said to have fast violent hands, something his brother helped him develop. I think NE will be happy with him after he bulks up in the next year or two.

Coples...big, tall, fluid, strong, quick. Seems like the best of both worlds among DEs. I'd have been really happy if he landed in our laps.

What a debate and where to start. First, IIRC, in our scheme our DE first responsibility is to get upfield and have outside containment on running plays thus forcing the ball to the LB or safety (whichever has that assignment based on personnel). If it's a pass keep moving and hit the QB. The physical attributes needed for this as smaller DE's usually in the 260-270lb range. They are not expected to line up mano-a-mano with the OT and cover 2 gaps. We need quickness to get upfield and enough strength to hold that edge without getting washed out of the play. In this case the strength I'm more interested in is leg and core strength versus bench press. Our DE's are trying to get around and underneath the OT block.

These physical attributes mirror closely what 3-4 teams look for in their "rush" OLB. PRobably the big difference is the need for a OLB to flip their hips and run without tripping over their own feet when dropping into pass coverage on a TE or RB. I would say though most often these rush ends drop into zone coverages where they are still facing the QB while pressure comes from the other side.

Regardless, teams with Tampa 2 and 3-4 schemes need players with the very similar physical attributes. Some of the players are more LB than DE (Clay Mathews) and others are more DE than LB (Suggs - who was nothing but DE at ASU).

Many years ago Lovie said he never had trouble finding his lighter DE's in 2nd or 3rd RD because at the time few teams ran a 3-4 and most teams with 4-3 wanted bigger DE's to cover two gaps. Remember the Greg Blache days. Not true today with so many 3-4 teams. Much of that likely linked to the rules changes that opened up the passing game over the last decade.

Height...the trend lately has been to have more pass rushers closer to 6' than taller. OTs OTOH are going the other way...taller. Why is James Harrison so hard to block by a 6'8" OT? He gets really low when he bends down to turn the corner and he has unbelievable strength when doing it. Jared Allen at his height can do it too and he's really quick coming out of the bend. SMC has that same ability, I think that's clear on his highlight tapes, and also the quickness needed to get to the edge. Given the level of competition he had I'm not sure he has the strength to make it work against NFL OTs. He'll need that for run support too. If he has the motor and the desire he reportedly has he should have already found the weight room at Halas Hall.

One more thing on SMC. One scouting report said he had "quick violent hands". Those of us old enough to remember Bruce Lee know what that means. Not putting SMC in that level but "Power in mechanical systems is the combination of forces and movement" P=F*V (sorry I'm an engineer). Even though SMC isn't the strongest upper body he has enough functional strength with quick hands to get the blockers hands off him so he is free to move.

Competition in the draft.

I didn't see much of Mercilus breaking off an OT block to make a sack. He usually beat them with his speed and doesn't really bend and hold the edge well. It's why I wasn't so high on him. Not a lot of strength or quickness to get off blocks for run support.

Perry. I thought he was quicker getting to the edge than Mercilus and was better at getting around the corner too. I liked him and thought we'd take him. I was dead wrong but we'll get to see him twice a year....against Webb.

Late riser Chandler Jones. Didn't see much flexibility in him either. He's taller and fits the mold some on the board were looking for and he did seem to do very well getting blockers off him so he can move to inside or outside. Not overly quick off the LOS and he's a long strider so it takes him a bit to get up to speed when chasing plays. Also said to have fast violent hands, something his brother helped him develop. I think NE will be happy with him after he bulks up in the next year or two.

Coples...big, tall, fluid, strong, quick. Seems like the best of both worlds among DEs. I'd have been really happy if he landed in our laps.

Great post.

When you watch the tape, he plays better in a 3 point stance.

I worry about giving up a massive chunk of rushing yards on his side of the ball. Which will end up happening, if he is the 3 down player Emery claims him to be. Most guys his size that have their hand in the ground are one trick pony's. I'd feel more comfortable if he can get his weight up to 270 but he came in to the senior bowl having just gained 20 pounds from his senior season. I'm not sure he's ever played above 260 before so it's sort of an unknown as to how it will effect him on the field.

I worry about giving up a massive chunk of rushing yards on his side of the ball. Which will end up happening, if he is the 3 down player Emery claims him to be. Most guys his size that have their hand in the ground are one trick pony's. I'd feel more comfortable if he can get his weight up to 270 but he came in to the senior bowl having just gained 20 pounds from his senior season. I'm not sure he's ever played above 260 before so it's sort of an unknown as to how it will effect him on the field.

I agree with some of your concerns, but statements like a "fifth round pick" are just lame.