Round 4: Bears Select Evan Rodriguez

bradjock

you can't be serious. "He was not going to last much longer"??

who drafts a project, knucklehead, small school fullback with SERIOUS off-field issues in the 4th round of the NFL draft?

ANSWER: only the chicago bears

He was projected to be a 5th-6th rounder....Bears had no 5th

Lets wait to see how hes utilized before we go crazy here, Ive read numerous scouting reports that compare him to Aaron Hernandez and if he gets utilized like him then you'll be "eatting crow" (dont really know what that means but i see a lot of people on this board using it)

"Evan has been compared to current Patriot TE Aaron Hernandez in more than a few ways. Not only are both similar types of players on the field, but both had the chance to be coached by current Temple head coach and former Florida OC Steve Addazio"

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/03/eva...-interview.html The interview didnt work on my POS computer but I like that the Aaron Hernandez comparison isnt just because theyre both have the same size and speed.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

would you have drafted a fullback in round four with all the needs that are REAL on this team considering we have a good blocking FB in clutts and this guy is a weak blocker and small?

if expressing my great displeasure with a wasted pick this high when we have passed up multiple chances to add excellent to very good players on our offensive line is piling on then so be it, i am going to pile on until i hear his bones crack.

it doesn't matter one iota how this player turns out. he was drafted way to early at a position of strength when we have multiple needs to even become average at many positions.

as far as your "war room" reference: i guess you STILL believe angelo was the savior of this franchise because HE was in the war room and we dumb fans have no business contradicting any of his moves and picks? right?

LOL!!!

this aint the JA picking factory, Emery strong suit is drafting, so lets see what all of these players turn out to be. I would have made other choices, but after reading about him, he sounds like he could turn out to be Aaron Hernandaz. Who is 6-1 245, same size as Evan. I think he can line up as a H back, two TE sets and could be a real gem if every thing turns out right. I will give him the benefit of doubt and be anxious to see.

Wow! Do we really want another TE when the OL is the league's laughing stock? Emery is going beserk!

During the Bears 5 game winning streak, when the line was healthy they gave up 5 sacks in 5 games. Plus getting out of martz system and adding the weapons they did is going to help immensely.

I think Cutler was on pace to be sacked 36 times last year if he played the whole year...know who else got sacked 36 times (in 15 games) Aaron Rodgers...and his team did pretty good didnt they?

Wow! Do we really want another TE when the OL is the league's laughing stock? Emery is going beserk!

If we feel the best player available has the chance to be a game changing TE who can stretch the field, isn't it worth it?

My thought is the o-linemen who were available in the 4th weren't better than the guys we have.

If we feel the best player available has the chance to be a game changing TE who can stretch the field, isn't it worth it?

My thought is the o-linemen who were available in the 4th weren't better than the guys we have.

Of course not. The general manager is always wrong. Bring in a new one so we can criticize him as well.

Peace :dabears

Of course not. The general manager is always wrong. Bring in a new one so we can criticize him as well.

Peace :dabears

But thats the thing, of course any GM is going to be somewhat criticized. As of now Emery looks like the same guy we had. Stretch/Project/Players that do not fit our scheme and also a complete ineptitude to address the OLine. This is the reason there are more pessimists than optimists. I am sure we all hope most of these early rounders pan out but as of now it seems extremely questionable.

It's been 27 years since one of the most storied franchises has won a Super Bowl and since then have only been in one. There are smaller market teams like the Denver Broncos who have been to the dance 5 times in that span....

But thats the thing, of course any GM is going to be somewhat criticized. As of now Emery looks like the same guy we had. Stretch/Project/Players that do not fit our scheme and also a complete ineptitude to address the OLine. This is the reason there are more pessimists than optimists. I am sure we all hope most of these early rounders pan out but as of now it seems extremely questionable.

Two things I disagree with: 1. When did Angelo get players who did not fit our scheme? Example? 2. As for the o-line, JA never groomed young talent. When you think of the super bowl line he put together with John Tait, Reuben Brown, Olin Kreutz, Roberto Garza, and Fred Miller--that's a pretty damn impressive line . . . at least by comparison.

It's been 27 years since one of the most storied franchises has won a Super Bowl and since then have only been in one. There are smaller market teams like the Denver Broncos who have been to the dance 5 times in that span....

would you have drafted a fullback in round four with all the needs that are REAL on this team considering we have a good blocking FB in clutts and this guy is a weak blocker and small?

as far as your "war room" reference: i guess you STILL believe angelo was the savior of this franchise because HE was in the war room and we dumb fans have no business contradicting any of his moves and picks? right?

LOL!!!

Well it looks like your "missing thread"was found.

Anyhow, no I probably would not have picked a FB in the fourth round, unless

I knew WHY he was picked. Was there other intangibles that other teams saw in him? (sounds like NE might have seen something). Perhaps all the other "higher rated" and more heavily scouted players could have had bad info (injuries, personality etc) the team disliked. Perhaps Emery is using his skills as a scout and looking for true bargain players. So far he's made a lot of bargain moves (save Campbell) so why not continue that? Think about it, these higher touted and more popular players could cost a bundle during contract negotiations. Maybe Emery wants money to see what falls out after the draft is over, when other teams have to get rid of players they can't afford so they can sign their picks? Emery can come along with his saved money and pick up a decent veteran player for position of need. Maybe this is totally "outside the box thinking" but I have no history on Emery yet other than what I've seen so far. And so far he's done pretty good.

As far as me thinking that JA was a savior, not sure I really ever said that. In fact I was one that thought, late last year, that he and Martz needed to go... And they did. The one tha I get ceiticized regularly for siding with is Lovie. But that's fine, I'm still sticking by him.

I hope everyone understands Rodriguez won't play fullback. I know I cursed out loud when our pick came across ESPN with "FB" next to it. Rodriguez is not physical or a good blocker. He's more of a speed guy. You draft him in the 4th round hoping he can stretch the field and be a game changer.

I knew WHY he was picked. Was there other intangibles that other teams saw in him? (sounds like NE might have seen something). Perhaps all the other "higher rated" and more heavily scouted players could have had bad info (injuries, personality etc) the team disliked. Perhaps Emery is using his skills as a scout and looking for true bargain players. So far he's made a lot of bargain moves (save Campbell) so why not continue that? Think about it, these higher touted and more popular players could cost a bundle during contract negotiations. Maybe Emery wants money to see what falls out after the draft is over, when other teams have to get rid of players they can't afford so they can sign their picks? Emery can come along with his saved money and pick up a decent veteran player for position of need. Maybe this is totally "outside the box thinking" but I have no history on Emery yet other than what I've seen so far. And so far he's done pretty good.

As far as me thinking that JA was a savior, not sure I really ever said that. In fact I was one that thought, late last year, that he and Martz needed to go... And they did. The one tha I get ceiticized regularly for siding with is Lovie. But that's fine, I'm still sticking by him.

From a Sun-Times article, what does this mean?

What that does to a defense is it forces them to stay in more of their base [defense] instead of bringing in a nickel or sub-package personnel and match up with a straight-seam tight end,” Emery said. “We really believe that Evan provides that for us.”

...mostly because I'm not sure how not being a "straight-seam" TE and also being very speedy but not big compared to most TEs is going to force the D to not put in their nickel package. Seems to me like opposing defenses should be just fine with their nickel package when Evan Rodriguez is in the game, which makes him basically just another WR with capable blocking skills.

From a Sun-Times article, what does this mean?

What that does to a defense is it forces them to stay in more of their base [defense] instead of bringing in a nickel or sub-package personnel and match up with a straight-seam tight end,” Emery said. “We really believe that Evan provides that for us.”

...mostly because I'm not sure how not being a "straight-seam" TE and also being very speedy but not big compared to most TEs is going to force the D to not put in their nickel package. Seems to me like opposing defenses should be just fine with their nickel package when Evan Rodriguez is in the game, which makes him basically just another WR with capable blocking skills.

Emery is saying Rodriguez has the ability to at adequate lead blocker, while at the same time, be a game-changing threat teams have to account for. I guess it's possiblel it could become good at blocking . . .

Kind of reminds me of when Martz has Olsen line up as a FB on 4th & 1. Sounded good in theory, but it "blew-up."

How much are the Patriots TE's asked to block for the run game? I know other league TE's like Jimmy Graham and the TE from San Diego don't do do much.

He was projected to be a 5th-6th rounder....Bears had no 5th

Lets wait to see how hes utilized before we go crazy here, Ive read numerous scouting reports that compare him to Aaron Hernandez and if he gets utilized like him then you'll be "eatting crow" (dont really know what that means but i see a lot of people on this board using it)

"Evan has been compared to current Patriot TE Aaron Hernandez in more than a few ways. Not only are both similar types of players on the field, but both had the chance to be coached by current Temple head coach and former Florida OC Steve Addazio"

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/03/eva...-interview.html The interview didnt work on my POS computer but I like that the Aaron Hernandez comparison isnt just because theyre both have the same size and speed.

1. a lot of players are predicted to go in X round end up being undrafted. the G we picked up, james brown, was projected as a 3rd round pick. even if this guy projected as a 5th or 6th with his very real and serious off-field problems there was a real possibility he would never have been drafted at all. he wasn't even listed as a TE but FB in USA Today Draft Preview. so it was a very poor choice that even on their board, which to me is mindboggling, it would have been much wiser and smarter to look for him in the 6th.

if he turns out to be a good player it was not a real need for this team as we just signed a good blocking FB in clutts and at TE we have an excellent blocking spaeth (sp) and a just signed davis. so where is he going to fit in? do we sit hester or bennett to get him playing time in a multiple receiver set? he certainly doesn't get the nod as a good *blocker by any means.

2. i keep hearing that he is compared to aaron hernandez. by who? the only comparrisons i have heard are from his former coach at temple who did coach hernandez and... himself. anyone have any links to where a viable draft site has him listed as such?

one more item on this... it is very misleading for anyone to say he was reviewed on the patriots board. i went to that link,

http://www.patriots.com/media-center/video...c1-0411f697e71d

and it is by no means relating to being on the patriots DRAFT board. there would be absolutely no reason he would be as they have the real hernandez and he is only in his second year in the NFL.

3. my final say... even if he turns out to be a good player, he was a very big reach in the 4th round for someone we usually send packing for even half of the serious problems this guy has already displayed and a player at a position that we don't remotely need to fill at this time while the rest of our team suffers from quality ball players.

even drafting a DT would have made more sense at this spot but i believe the best pick here would have been the S/CB we picked up in the 3rd round a whole round (and maybe more) than he would have gone.

*WEAKNESSES

Rodriguez is almost nonexistent in the pass game, and his athletic ability is suspect when watching him work in attempt to get to the second level and block linebackers. He may have a tough time winning with strength or speed at the next level, two traits that players in his role often rely on to out-match would-be defenders since he is smaller than some linebackers and definitely not as fast as safeties.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/eva...guez?id=2532991

---------------------

Undersized and lacks ideal measureables, showing tweener traits.

Doesn't have overwhelming strength and lacks much build or muscle definition. Not a sudden athlete and lacks ideal speed, struggling to separate in tight spaces. His blocking leaves a lot to be desired, lacking the power to create running lanes. Fails to square-up his target consistently and doesn't sustain blocks long enough, struggling with blocking angles. Raw as a route runner and is a bit stiff when trying to swiftly redirect his momentum. Needs to develop more of a finishing attitude to pick up as many yards as possible. A smaller target and allows too many balls into his body. Had only one career rush attempt at Temple with underwhelming overall production, finishing with only 7 career scores in 28 starts as a three-year starter. He was considered lazy and an underachiever his first three seasons in college. NFL Comparison: James Casey, Houston Texans -- Dane Brugler

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players.../evan-rodriguez

----------------

Not tough or physical — could stand to get stronger and become more of a finisher. Gets outmuscled in line. Too reliant on athletic ability — not a savvy route runner. Limited elusiveness and tackle-breaking ability. Is immature and does not know what it means to be a pro. Character and dependability need to be investigated.

Summary:

Athletic, finesse, high-maintenance “move” player with tweener traits and off-the-field red flags. Would benefit from the presence of a demanding father-figure presence in a city far from the East Coast, where trouble has followed him

http://cache.profootballweekly.com/prospec...n-rodriguez-88/

1. a lot of players are predicted to go in X round end up being undrafted. the G we picked up, james brown, was projected as a 3rd round pick. even if this guy projected as a 5th or 6th with his very real and serious off-field problems there was a real possibility he would never have been drafted at all. he wasn't even listed as a TE but FB in USA Today Draft Preview. so it was a very poor choice that even on their board, which to me is mindboggling, it would have been much wiser and smarter to look for him in the 6th.

if he turns out to be a good player it was not a real need for this team as we just signed a good blocking FB in clutts and at TE we have an excellent blocking spaeth (sp) and a just signed davis. so where is he going to fit in? do we sit hester or bennett to get him playing time in a multiple receiver set? he certainly doesn't get the nod as a good *blocker by any means.

2. i keep hearing that he is compared to aaron hernandez. by who? the only comparrisons i have heard are from his former coach at temple who did coach hernandez and... himself. anyone have any links to where a viable draft site has him listed as such?

one more item on this... it is very misleading for anyone to say he was reviewed on the patriots board. i went to that link,

http://www.patriots.com/media-center/video...c1-0411f697e71d

and it is by no means relating to being on the patriots DRAFT board. there would be absolutely no reason he would be as they have the real hernandez and he is only in his second year in the NFL.

3. my final say... even if he turns out to be a good player, he was a very big reach in the 4th round for someone we usually send packing for even half of the serious problems this guy has already displayed and a player at a position that we don't remotely need to fill at this time while the rest of our team suffers from quality ball players.

even drafting a DT would have made more sense at this spot but i believe the best pick here would have been the S/CB we picked up in the 3rd round a whole round (and maybe more) than he would have gone.

*WEAKNESSES

Rodriguez is almost nonexistent in the pass game, and his athletic ability is suspect when watching him work in attempt to get to the second level and block linebackers. He may have a tough time winning with strength or speed at the next level, two traits that players in his role often rely on to out-match would-be defenders since he is smaller than some linebackers and definitely not as fast as safeties.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/eva...guez?id=2532991

---------------------

Undersized and lacks ideal measureables, showing tweener traits.

Doesn't have overwhelming strength and lacks much build or muscle definition. Not a sudden athlete and lacks ideal speed, struggling to separate in tight spaces. His blocking leaves a lot to be desired, lacking the power to create running lanes. Fails to square-up his target consistently and doesn't sustain blocks long enough, struggling with blocking angles. Raw as a route runner and is a bit stiff when trying to swiftly redirect his momentum. Needs to develop more of a finishing attitude to pick up as many yards as possible. A smaller target and allows too many balls into his body. Had only one career rush attempt at Temple with underwhelming overall production, finishing with only 7 career scores in 28 starts as a three-year starter. He was considered lazy and an underachiever his first three seasons in college. NFL Comparison: James Casey, Houston Texans -- Dane Brugler

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players.../evan-rodriguez

----------------

Not tough or physical — could stand to get stronger and become more of a finisher. Gets outmuscled in line. Too reliant on athletic ability — not a savvy route runner. Limited elusiveness and tackle-breaking ability. Is immature and does not know what it means to be a pro. Character and dependability need to be investigated.

Summary:

Athletic, finesse, high-maintenance “move” player with tweener traits and off-the-field red flags. Would benefit from the presence of a demanding father-figure presence in a city far from the East Coast, where trouble has followed him

http://cache.profootballweekly.com/prospec...n-rodriguez-88/

Matt Bowen had an article on him in the NFP and I am reading he had a 4th round grade, so it wasnt a reach. AND we do need a pass catching TE, especially if the great Kellen Davis doent pan out. His comparisions to Hernnadaz is because he is the same size and speed. With you have to understand is everybody not in the top 10 players in the draft have question marks about them, later rounds have more the deeper you get. Go back and read about Brady drafted in the 6th round, he did to, he turned out OK.

I think Cutler was on pace to be sacked 36 times last year if he played the whole year...know who else got sacked 36 times (in 15 games) Aaron Rodgers...and his team did pretty good didnt they?

i don't think it's a matter of your team doing pretty good. it's a matter of the abuse your top player can absorb over the life of his career. it's like a heavyweight fight. the body blows although not seeming to effect the outcome, add up over the rounds and really do make a difference in whether he can absorb that much punishment that will wear down his strength and effect his ability to still fight at a high level.

so you not only have the chance to end his career in one blow but certainly shorten it with added smaller injuries and abuse over time.

also... the packers have been drafting OL for some time now because they do realize this.

Matt Bowen had an article on him in the NFP and I am reading he had a 4th round grade, so it wasnt a reach. AND we do need a pass catching TE, especially if the great Kellen Davis doent pan out. His comparisions to Hernnadaz is because he is the same size and speed. With you have to understand is everybody not in the top 10 players in the draft have question marks about them, later rounds have more the deeper you get. Go back and read about Brady drafted in the 6th round, he did to, he turned out OK.

You say, "if the great Kellen Davis doesn't pan out." I'm thinking Davis was a 5th round pick. Pretty good blocker, pretty good hands, and a decent red zone threat. He's never going to stretch the field and he's never going to "wow" you.

He is a very average starting NFL TE. No more, no less. He is what he is. With Hernandez you're hoping he can be a "game-changer" at the position. I don't expect him to do much his rookie year.

Two things I disagree with: 1. When did Angelo get players who did not fit our scheme? Example? 2. As for the o-line, JA never groomed young talent. When you think of the super bowl line he put together with John Tait, Reuben Brown, Olin Kreutz, Roberto Garza, and Fred Miller--that's a pretty damn impressive line . . . at least by comparison.

to me it was not impressive. we put tait who had near pro-bowl quality at right tackle which is the reason he got the huge contract into a position the chiefs were smart enough to look for other help at. so he played out most of his huge contract in chicago out of position and at an average quality.

reuben brown was a great stop-gap guard with enough in the tank for time for a high quality draft pick to be groomed to fill in. the problem was we never drafted his replacement.

olin kreutz was a good center with a few years of quality play left. again we never drafted his replacement and that is why an average quality aging guard started there last season and this season we STILL have nothing close to a pro-bowl quality center to step in.

garza was again an average at best guard who we still haven't considered drafting a replacement. de ja' vue all over again.

miller was on the last leg as a tackle and we milked that bull for a full year longer than was sane. we replaced him with an aging end of HIS career RT in tait who failed miserably and retired. did we have a draftee to fill in at this spot? hell no!!

we keep adding stop gap players or tweeners and run them out until they are beat into the ground and give us the crap we watch year in and year out on our offense with no relief in sight.

I knew WHY he was picked. Was there other intangibles that other teams saw in him? (sounds like NE might have seen something).

NE saw something in him? links to that please.

Perhaps all the other "higher rated" and more heavily scouted players could have had bad info (injuries, personality etc) the team disliked. Perhaps Emery is using his skills as a scout and looking for true bargain players.

are you saying there were no quality players left in the 2012 draft by round 4 that didn't have injuries? it certainly couldn't have been because of personality and character he drafted this guy if you believe his arrest reports.

So far he's made a lot of bargain moves (save Campbell) so why not continue that? Think about it, these higher touted and more popular players could cost a bundle during contract negotiations. Maybe Emery wants money to see what falls out after the draft is over, when other teams have to get rid of players they can't afford so they can sign their picks? Emery can come along with his saved money and pick up a decent veteran player for position of need. Maybe this is totally "outside the box thinking" but I have no history on Emery yet other than what I've seen so far. And so far he's done pretty good.

are you saying emery is drafting poor players or players that would have gone rounds lower so that he gets a bargain priced contract from these poor/lower round drafted players? that he can use the extra money left over for free agents cut after the draft? i guess i have never heard of this strategy before. please elaborate on it.

ok if you believe he was drafted as a need for TE and he fills that need in your opinion then i have no problem with you doing so.

i just reserve the right to disagree. he is small for a TE, he is not a good blocker for a TE, he has not proved anything in his time playing at temple to deserve that high of a pick, at least for the bears.

with all the needs on this team, even drafting a DT, if no offensive linemen graded out or were available, at this point in the draft makes a lot more sense to me. we at this time have just signed our starting TE and have one other in the lineup for blocking duties.

i just don't see where a guy this small who doesn't block well gets on the field except at the expense of a real WR.

i just don't see where a guy this small who doesn't block well gets on the field except at the expense of a real WR.

Agreed! You don't have to leave a LB or SS in to cover him. He can simply be defended with members of the nickle or dime package in passing situations. If he can not block, he literally creates zero mismatch opportunites.

Now, that being said, if he can block, he has the ability to isolate the occasional mismatch. Here's to hoping...

Now, that being said, if he can block, he has the ability to isolate the occasional mismatch. Here's to hoping...

I agree about his blocking being key.

Back when I played NCAA'11 on the PS3, I noticed that a quality method for picking up WRs was to just draft an extremely reciever-ish TE. Sure, they were bad blockers for a TE, but their blocking skill would be in the 40-60 range, which was three times higher than many WRs. ...so when I'd run sweeps or off-tackles with the runningback, instead of my lanky WR getting thrown to the ground, these "tweener" receivers would wall off their DB defender and 5 yard gains sometimes turned into 20yd gains or even TD runs. And their mediocre receiver skills and speed were good enough to make them good possession receivers (as long as they had a great hands rating).

Now, I know that's just a silly video game, but nevertheless it made me more aware of the concept of having at least one side of the field where you've got receivers off the line who can control a CB or safety in a block to give an outside run the chance to turn upfield for big gains. If Rodriguez can do this, then Emery is right...it will necessitate teams having to stay in their base defense so that he has to block LBs rather than DBs. I guess we'll see. This is all assuming that he can be a dangerous receiver with LBs trying to cover him (the other way to have a mismatch), which actually is no guarantee either, or else what's the advantage of forcing teams to stay in their base defense?

You say, "if the great Kellen Davis doesn't pan out." I'm thinking Davis was a 5th round pick. Pretty good blocker, pretty good hands, and a decent red zone threat. He's never going to stretch the field and he's never going to "wow" you.

He is a very average starting NFL TE. No more, no less. He is what he is. With Hernandez you're hoping he can be a "game-changer" at the position. I don't expect him to do much his rookie year.

I was being Sarcastic, I personally dont think he is special, but with a little growth, Evan R. might become a better TE than Davis.