Interesting Cutler Read

WheresMyronBaker

1st example: Good point. It's a bad read by Jay.

2nd example: Good point. Bad footwork by Jay in an adequate pocket.

The rest? Hard to fault a guy for making the very first decision or read when that's all he gets time to do. It's also hard to fault a guy for eroding footwork when he so rarely gets time to sit down in the pocket and throw, much less throw to a secondary or tertiary read. The "pocket presence" one is ridiculous, because presence requires some semblance of consistency, not to mention at least a decent block. If Jay had stepped to the left in that scenario, Mattews would still have got him. The author makes it seem like Matthews has an inability to change direction, which is utterly ridiculous. And let's not forget, Matthews Raji. If the scenario were Raji, then maybe there is a point.

What's funny to me is that aside from the first two scenarios, every screenshot during a developing play shows Cutler under duress or a pocket that is about to collapse.

Amen.

See enough gun-fire, you start to duck reflexively at loud noises.

I have seen comparisions drawn to Rex Grossman many a times, especially nowadays with how Cutler is performing. Problem is Grossman was like this from the beginning. He would literally throw the ball with his eyes closed sometimes. He also appeared to be made of glass since he spent parts of the first three years injured. Cutler has earned a reputation, even before coming to Chicago, as a "gunslinger" and that usually interprets into someone who is willing to do what other QB's will not and that is force the issue. And that further translates into turnovers.

The above analysis is actually pretty well done. I don't agree that "the pocket was breaking down in each of the pictures" as with the first one (or second) shows Cutler well protected and in another shows Webb actually containing his person one on one (Matthews?). I think it safe to say that Cutler is having issues "in feeling the pressure". Even in my laymen understanding of how a QB thinks, I saw one play in the game last week where the pocket was starting to collapse from Cutler's right (in almost direct sight of where he was looking) and instead of rolling backwards or to his left, he tried to squeeze through the rush on his right. I thought at the time how odd that was of Cutler as he used to be really good at being aware of his surroundings.

Continuing my thought of before about "pre-reads" and what not. Each week the team practices the plays they are going to do for the upcoming game. The routes are run, the timing played out, the contingencies considered. That being the case during the course of a game (and thinking like a QB), my thought would be that as I break the huddle I'm already going to be looking for the weak spots in the opposition D. What play did I call and how is that going to exploit them? Do I need to consider an audible? Where is the rush??? etc etc? The play I call involves the "X" reciever to do this, the "Y" one to do that and I will most times have a "hot read". So no matter what happens and if I can't see because there is a lineman in my face and I'm running for my life, that hot read will be there. If not, I roll out and to the out of bounds it goes. And beside that I know that my other receiver(s) will be (or should) running their respective routes. So without really looking, and taking into consideration what I "PRE-READ" I will know whether my receiver is open and whether he will be where he needs to be in the 3-4 seconds I have to hold the ball in the pocket (on average). If not him, then option B etc to the "hot read".

I think somewhere in all of that Cutler has broken down. He is still harboring his "gunslinger" mentality where he's convinced that he can make the plays that others can't. That's why the hesitation. And like I said before, he was the one when in Denver that said he had a stronger arm than did Elway. So, that should guage a little better where he stands on all this.

It is really easy to point out these things after they happen. Where are all the plays where he escapes when there was no way out, or where he gets the ball to a receiver in the perfect spot? You can't pick your spots to make your point stronger. Did Cutler make mistakes that were his fault, absolutely. Would he have made those mistakes if other players were doing their job? Would he have made those mistakes if there was a better game plan in place?

I have seen comparisions drawn to Rex Grossman many a times, especially nowadays with how Cutler is performing. Problem is Grossman was like this from the beginning. He would literally throw the ball with his eyes closed sometimes. He also appeared to be made of glass since he spent parts of the first three years injured. Cutler has earned a reputation, even before coming to Chicago, as a "gunslinger" and that usually interprets into someone who is willing to do what other QB's will not and that is force the issue. And that further translates into turnovers.

The above analysis is actually pretty well done. I don't agree that "the pocket was breaking down in each of the pictures" as with the first one (or second) shows Cutler well protected and in another shows Webb actually containing his person one on one (Matthews?). I think it safe to say that Cutler is having issues "in feeling the pressure". Even in my laymen understanding of how a QB thinks, I saw one play in the game last week where the pocket was starting to collapse from Cutler's right (in almost direct sight of where he was looking) and instead of rolling backwards or to his left, he tried to squeeze through the rush on his right. I thought at the time how odd that was of Cutler as he used to be really good at being aware of his surroundings.

Continuing my thought of before about "pre-reads" and what not. Each week the team practices the plays they are going to do for the upcoming game. The routes are run, the timing played out, the contingencies considered. That being the case during the course of a game (and thinking like a QB), my thought would be that as I break the huddle I'm already going to be looking for the weak spots in the opposition D. What play did I call and how is that going to exploit them? Do I need to consider an audible? Where is the rush??? etc etc? The play I call involves the "X" reciever to do this, the "Y" one to do that and I will most times have a "hot read". So no matter what happens and if I can't see because there is a lineman in my face and I'm running for my life, that hot read will be there. If not, I roll out and to the out of bounds it goes. And beside that I know that my other receiver(s) will be (or should) running their respective routes. So without really looking, and taking into consideration what I "PRE-READ" I will know whether my receiver is open and whether he will be where he needs to be in the 3-4 seconds I have to hold the ball in the pocket (on average). If not him, then option B etc to the "hot read".

I think somewhere in all of that Cutler has broken down. He is still harboring his "gunslinger" mentality where he's convinced that he can make the plays that others can't. That's why the hesitation. And like I said before, he was the one when in Denver that said he had a stronger arm than did Elway. So, that should guage a little better where he stands on all this.

First bold - Reread my entire post. I excluded the first two parts of the analysis because the pictures indicate a decent/good pocket/protection.

Second bold - It sounds great, and I completely agree with you in theory, but the reality is that Cutler doesn't have time for anything other than his hot read or the #1 read on probably 85% of the passing plays. He doesn't get the privilege of thinking about what the X or the Y does and then going to the hot read. Most of the time it appears that when his primary is covered, he is immediately thereafter pressured. And when he does get time to hit the hot receiver, that guy often has coverage close by because the Bears rarely confuse anyone on offense (especially now).

I agree with the gunslinger comments, and the eroding footwork, and the poor decision-making, but I am still under the impression that the majority of his problems, like most QBs, are caused by the pressure. And since the Bears' OL has given up more pressure than any OL in the past three or four years, it's understandable that he has developed some preservation-based faults. Which is why I've been saying for years now that the Bears need to fix the OL before anything else. A bad OL turns a good QB into a scared QB, and at that point it doesn't matter who in the hell you have at WR.

If you guys have been following Cutler's career, you'll notice that he's had the same bad mechanics since Day 1 of his NFL career. Sometimes you can get away with it, ala Favre, but like Favre, sometimes this leads to alot of poor throws that wind up being intercepted. The year he was only sacked 11 times, he still managed to throw 18 picks.. He is what he is.

If you guys have been following Cutler's career, you'll notice that he's had the same bad mechanics since Day 1 of his NFL career. Sometimes you can get away with it, ala Favre, but like Favre, sometimes this leads to alot of poor throws that wind up being intercepted. The year he was only sacked 11 times, he still managed to throw 18 picks.. He is what he is.

What? Going off the last two years with the Bears (2010 and 2011) he was sacked 75 times and threw 23 picks (and 36 TDs). That is more indicative of what we can expect, not one random year on the Broncos from 2008.

First bold - Reread my entire post. I excluded the first two parts of the analysis because the pictures indicate a decent/good pocket/protection.

Second bold - It sounds great, and I completely agree with you in theory, but the reality is that Cutler doesn't have time for anything other than his hot read or the #1 read on probably 85% of the passing plays. He doesn't get the privilege of thinking about what the X or the Y does and then going to the hot read. Most of the time it appears that when his primary is covered, he is immediately thereafter pressured. And when he does get time to hit the hot receiver, that guy often has coverage close by because the Bears rarely confuse anyone on offense (especially now).

I agree with the gunslinger comments, and the eroding footwork, and the poor decision-making, but I am still under the impression that the majority of his problems, like most QBs, are caused by the pressure. And since the Bears' OL has given up more pressure than any OL in the past three or four years, it's understandable that he has developed some preservation-based faults. Which is why I've been saying for years now that the Bears need to fix the OL before anything else. A bad OL turns a good QB into a scared QB, and at that point it doesn't matter who in the hell you have at WR.

So knowing that you de-value the sack as more a piece than the puzzle itself, how do you explain Aaron Rodgers? Does he "run scared"? His team finished 15-1 last year despite his being one of the highest sacked...er rushed QBs in the league. And he's so far been sacked 16 times this year, 8 times in the last game alone.

So knowing that you de-value the sack as more a piece than the puzzle itself, how do you explain Aaron Rodgers? Does he "run scared"? His team finished 15-1 last year despite his being one of the highest sacked...er rushed QBs in the league. And he's so far been sacked 16 times this year, 8 times in the last game alone.

and the Pack are 1-2.

The difference to me from watching Rodgers vs Cutler is that Jay will try to make a throw under duress where Rodgers takes the sack. At least from looking back at the Seattle game in the first half, a bunch of sacks were after his initial drop back, not necessary immediate pressure like what Jay experiences almost all the time. Jay can't even plant his back foot and he is already under pressure.

Check out this video of the 8 sacks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BokBc7mXWEM

#1 - 3-man rush, Bulaga gets beat, Irvin with the sack. Rodgers was able to make his initial drop, then got sacked when he stepped up.

#2 - Rodgers sacks himself

#3 - Rodgers gets his full drop back and when he goes to step up Irvin is there and for some reason Rodgers runs right back into him?

#4 - On what appears to be a planned roll-out and screen Rodgers gets destroyed, bad blocking scheme for the play called

#5 - Rodgers gets full drop back and the pocket collapses from the inside and he is too late to react (pocket awareness?)

#6 - On a play action roll out, it looks like he is going deep, then eats the ball and a sack, all on him for that one.

#7 - Gets full drop back and right when he steps up Clemons is in his face - again how does he not see the pressure in his face?

#8 - Steps up to avoid pressure, then just takes the sack. Completely on him, seems indecisive and a little shell shocked.

and the Pack are 1-2.

The difference to me from watching Rodgers vs Cutler is that Jay will try to make a throw under duress where Rodgers takes the sack. At least from looking back at the Seattle game in the first half, a bunch of sacks were after his initial drop back, not necessary immediate pressure like what Jay experiences almost all the time. Jay can't even plant his back foot and he is already under pressure.

Check out this video of the 8 sacks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BokBc7mXWEM

#1 - 3-man rush, Bulaga gets beat, Irvin with the sack. Rodgers was able to make his initial drop, then got sacked when he stepped up.

#2 - Rodgers sacks himself

#3 - Rodgers gets his full drop back and when he goes to step up Irvin is there and for some reason Rodgers runs right back into him?

#4 - On what appears to be a planned roll-out and screen Rodgers gets destroyed, bad blocking scheme for the play called

#5 - Rodgers gets full drop back and the pocket collapses from the inside and he is too late to react (pocket awareness?)

#6 - On a play action roll out, it looks like he is going deep, then eats the ball and a sack, all on him for that one.

#7 - Gets full drop back and right when he steps up Clemons is in his face - again how does he not see the pressure in his face?

#8 - Steps up to avoid pressure, then just takes the sack. Completely on him, seems indecisive and a little shell shocked.

Although be it...a truly debatable 1-2. I can't believe you're making me say something that resembles support for the Packers. Anyhow, despite the 8 sacks in the FIRST HALF, Rodgers was able to still make an attempt at a rally. Despite the officiating. And in the end wouldn't you prefer a QB that takes chances with bad ball placement, or one that. "eats it" and saves the team another shot? There, I said it now I have to go eat a bar of soap.

My perspective is that at least the following goes into whether a QB does well:

1. Sacks

2. Pressures

3. OL inability to act cohesively

4. Perceived Pressure

5. Receiver inability to get open

6. Poor offensive gameplan

All six items can make a QB rattled. The more of the six that are bad, the more likely the QB will be rattled. Where the Packers succeed and the Bears fail, at least in the last several years, is not #1 - becaus, as you pointed out, Rodgers has been sacked a lot - but the others. Cutler gets pressured more. The Bears OL is not cohesive; it doesn't screw up the same time. The Packers game against Seattle is a perfect example. The entire OL was screwing up in the first half, and then they all got their acts together in the second half. The Bears OL would have been half-and-half. Number 4 should probably be 3a, and is probably dependant somewhat on the QBs mental makeup, but Cutler is probably less confident because of all the other items that are done so poorly. Number 5 is big, and why so many have argued for WRs for so long. Of course, I told them it wouldn't matter much if the OL sucked ass, and thus far I appear to be correct. Number 6 is probably the biggest difference in regards to your question. The QBs have had a great offensive gameplan for quite some time. They kill the Bears on slants and screens (might be just as much a product of #5 as #6). The Bears, on the other hand, have not had good gameplans for as long as I can remember. Tice, Martz, Shea, Shoop. The last guy who really tried to confuse and attack the defense was Crowton, who most hated. While I'm much more in the Martz/Crowton camp, I can value the appeal of others (disagree though). With that said, none have done a great job. And it has directly affected the Bears' QBs.

I'm not saying all of the items are necessary, but the Bears have to fix one or two in order for Cutler not to feel like he's being chased by a town full of people holding pitchforks.