Detroit Lions @ Chicago Bears

balta1701-A

Jason I'm not sure what criteria you used to come up with your rankings but of the teams you highlighted in bold as being better than the current Bears' OG tandem,I looked at 2 pretty telling stats that generally can be used to rate a whole OL.Sacks given up and average rush yards per attempt:

Team Sacks Avg Rush Yds Per Att

NYG 6 4.5

Phi 17 4.1

Ari 35 3.8

SF 20 5.9

Stl 21 4.2

Atl 13 3.7

NO 12 3.7

TB 11 4.1

Bears 19 4.3

The reason why I chose these 2 stats because they show IMO the strength of the OL and in most cases the cohesion(chemistry) of the unit. Since most teams run between the tackles the rush yards show how well the interior OL may be playing.The only problem in the case of Rachal and Louis is they have only played a couple of games together and if you take at least the last 2 games where the Bears have given up minimal sacks and have rushed for 172 and 200+ this tandem is starting to gel. Also lets factor in that the Bears average margin of victory is 14 points so a lot of the Bears runs have come when they have been trying to close out games late with 8 in the box. Only SF averages more rush yards per game of the teams you highlighted than the Bears and with NYG giving up only 6 sacks all season and averaging 4.5 per rush they clearly are tops in my eyes. SF averaging almost 6 yards per rush is very impressive after those 2 its open to debate in the NFC.

Apples and oranges, lemon. The stats you show are for the entire OL, and it's nearly impossible to relate them to an individual or two on the OL. There are obviously other factors such as game-planning, play-calling, opponents' strategy, etc.

Also, it's pretty safe to say - now that we're half way through the abysmal Panthers game - the OL is certainly not starting to gel.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apples and oranges, lemon. The stats you show are for the entire OL, and it's nearly impossible to relate them to an individual or two on the OL. There are obviously other factors such as game-planning, play-calling, opponents' strategy, etc.

Also, it's pretty safe to say - now that we're half way through the abysmal Panthers game - the OL is certainly not starting to gel.

So how do you explain the 4th quarter? I'll tell ya. Better playcalling and the fact that Jay figured out there were other WRs beside Marshall. And the good play on OL, especially Rachal and Louis. :D

So how do you explain the 4th quarter? I'll tell ya. Better playcalling and the fact that Jay figured out there were other WRs beside Marshall. And the good play on OL, especially Rachal and Louis. :D

How do I explain it? Easily. Inconsistency, the entire problem with the OL as a unit, and the specific problem for multiple people on the OL. It's almost exactly how everyone describes Webb. They are very inconsistent, but if they can somehow manage to get all their good execution together and give Cutler time - provided the bad execution isn't timed together so poorly that it gets Cutler injured/killed - then the offense has the capability of being productive.