You guys still think Cutler checks out of games

Chitownhustla

If we want to talk about average players then we should talk about Hester. Going after Cutler as if he's the biggest problem we have on offense is missing the blocking.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/team...eer-passing.htm

Cutler ranks 4th among Bears QBs in total yards, soon he'll be second behind the famous Sid Luckman. He should pass him up next season. He's already our most accurate passer in team history and he has more TDs than Harbaugh, McMahon, and Kramer all three of which had better Oline play. Is he Tom Brady? No. Is he a winning QB? Yes.

Did I mention he's in his 3rd offense since joining the Bears?

Hester is keeping the spot warm for Alshon but lets not forget that Hester still contributed to this game without making a play and that is tose stupid squibb kicks that Carolina was getting away with.The Bears enjoyed the best field position of the year and didn't capitalize with it.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:cheers

Hester? Stone hands? How many easy 3rd down catches has he muffed? Yesterday's drop was maddening. Oh yeah, how bout that O line? Don't get me started.

Cutler is doing fine this season. With Marshall in the fold Cutler seems ready to bust out one of these games. We're not even half way through the season, and last year the O was just coming around before the injury derailed Cutler and the O. So, I'm glad we got Cutler back there. Screw the pundits. I'd rather have a "punky" QB, one with attitude, than someone who just does their job.

6-1 and leading the division. After all that's said and done, that's the bottom line. I'll take that.

Devin Hester is the most useless + overpaid player on the Bears roster right now. Is Spaeth more useless? Perhaps. Spencer? Yeah. But when you combine his insane salary + how he's done this year, he is the biggest waste of money on the team.

But back to the Bears and SOS.

The Colts beat the Packers. The Bears beat the Colts.

The Packers beat the Jags by 9. The Bears beat them by 38.

The Bears beat Dallas. Dallas beat the Giants once and lost to them by FIVE another time.

I don't want to hear the Bears haven't beaten anyone. If they beat Houston 31-28, it's "the D has been bad lately." If they win 16-15, it's "the O is still bad." They can't win with most of the fans and the media. If they come out Sunday and beat the Titans (28th against the run, 29th against the pass) by 4 TD's, everyone will say "big deal; they finally moved the ball but it was against Tennessee." Am I right? Everyone WANTS them to beat every bad team 41-3. When they do, "they haven't beaten any good team." When they beat a solid team like Indy, it's "so what, it's the Colts." But when they lose to the Packers, it's "who cares who they've beaten if they've lost to the Packers." I don't understand it quite frankly.

More examples:

-They beat SF in 3 weeks 10-9. Media: "Cutler is average."

-They beat SF in 3 weeks 21-20. Media: "How good is this D if they give up 20 points to the 49ers?"

-They beat GB in December 27-20 because of a Hester PR TD + INT for a TD but Cutler has 3 INT's. Media: "Cutler still sucks against GB."

-They beat GB in December 38-34 because Cutler picks up the D with a 5 TD game. Media: "If the D does that in the playoffs against Eli Manning, they have no shot!"

The way I look at it: the Bears have to go 5-4 the rest of the way. Beat Minnesota once, Seattle, Tennessee, Arizona, and Detroit. I couldn't give a shit if the Bears have beaten the Iowa Hawkeyes this year. You don't apologize for wins in this league. Any team that isn't 6-1 this year I bet would LOVE to be 6-1 right now. By my count, there are 17 teams in the NFL at or under .500 at the moment. SEVENTEEN. It's hard to "have beaten anyone" when everyone sucks.

I didn't see it happen. Drove us down to go ahead and then drove us down to win it with 2:27 left.

He needs to check out his snap count, it is exactly the same EVERY snap. That's one reason he gets sacked so much. We were watching and knew exactly when he was going to get the snap. I'v been saying this every year since he's been here.It's amazing to me that the team does not relize this. If any of you from the Bears orginization reads this board and my post, please notify cutler and the team of this! damn

Devin Hester is the most useless + overpaid player on the Bears roster right now. Is Spaeth more useless? Perhaps. Spencer? Yeah. But when you combine his insane salary + how he's done this year, he is the biggest waste of money on the team.

The Bears beat Dallas. Dallas beat the Giants once and lost to them by FIVE another time.

I don't want to hear the Bears haven't beaten anyone. If they beat Houston 31-28, it's "the D has been bad lately." If they win 16-15, it's "the O is still bad." They can't win with most of the fans and the media. If they come out Sunday and beat the Titans (28th against the run, 29th against the pass) by 4 TD's, everyone will say "big deal; they finally moved the ball but it was against Tennessee." Am I right? Everyone WANTS them to beat every bad team 41-3. When they do, "they haven't beaten any good team." When they beat a solid team like Indy, it's "so what, it's the Colts." But when they lose to the Packers, it's "who cares who they've beaten if they've lost to the Packers." I don't understand it quite frankly.

More examples:

-They beat SF in 3 weeks 21-20. Media: "How good is this D if they give up 20 points to the 49ers?"

-They beat GB in December 27-20 because of a Hester PR TD + INT for a TD but Cutler has 3 INT's. Media: "Cutler still sucks against GB."

-They beat GB in December 38-34 because Cutler picks up the D with a 5 TD game. Media: "If the D does that in the playoffs against Eli Manning, they have no shot!"

The way I look at it: the Bears have to go 5-4 the rest of the way. Beat Minnesota once, Seattle, Tennessee, Arizona, and Detroit. I couldn't give a shit if the Bears have beaten the Iowa Hawkeyes this year. You don't apologize for wins in this league. Any team that isn't 6-1 this year I bet would LOVE to be 6-1 right now. By my count, there are 17 teams in the NFL at or under .500 at the moment. SEVENTEEN. It's hard to "have beaten anyone" when everyone sucks.

If I came on the board and predicted that Cutler would put up 3500 yards, 21 tds,18 ints, and 7 fumbles at the beginning of the season I would have been ripped to shreds on here. People were defending how good the line would be after another year of gelling and such. The production so far the offense has been bad. It says bad things about Emery and the coaches for not addressing the line. It says bad things about Tice for his ability to coach, recognize talent, play calling, and ability to fix problems.

Jay just hasn't been good. He hasn't been 2 first round picks and big salary good this year. It's obviously not all on him, but there were expectations not being met. That and he is making stupid mistakes. He's forcing things, holding on to the ball, and does seem to get in ruts. He got in a rut the last game, but came out of it on the last 2 drives.

The defense on the other hand will at some point be referred to as getting brought back to Earth at some point. Which is ok tho, they have played lights out for 7 games so far. I felt they would be one of the top D's this year, but this is ridiculous. I can't remember a team forcing as many turn overs or scoring so much over 7 games.

The team is 6-1, the defense is awesome, and I'm ecstatic about that. It's possible that half the starting defense could be getting pro bowl consideration this year. Jennings has emerged and Tillman is having a career year. Briggs is steady as always, Urlacher is back at the helm of the defense, and the defensive line is being disruptive.

There's a lot of good things to say about the Bears this year, it's just not offensively. Once they can step up against multiple teams, playing all 4 quarters like the defense has, then they can get their props too. Until then, they are getting as much credit as they deserve at this point.

If I came on the board and predicted that Cutler would put up 3500 yards, 21 tds,18 ints, and 7 fumbles at the beginning of the season I would have been ripped to shreds on here. People were defending how good the line would be after another year of gelling and such. The production so far the offense has been bad. It says bad things about Emery and the coaches for not addressing the line. It says bad things about Tice for his ability to coach, recognize talent, play calling, and ability to fix problems.

Jay just hasn't been good. He hasn't been 2 first round picks and big salary good this year. It's obviously not all on him, but there were expectations not being met. That and he is making stupid mistakes. He's forcing things, holding on to the ball, and does seem to get in ruts. He got in a rut the last game, but came out of it on the last 2 drives.

The defense on the other hand will at some point be referred to as getting brought back to Earth at some point. Which is ok tho, they have played lights out for 7 games so far. I felt they would be one of the top D's this year, but this is ridiculous. I can't remember a team forcing as many turn overs or scoring so much over 7 games.

The team is 6-1, the defense is awesome, and I'm ecstatic about that. It's possible that half the starting defense could be getting pro bowl consideration this year. Jennings has emerged and Tillman is having a career year. Briggs is steady as always, Urlacher is back at the helm of the defense, and the defensive line is being disruptive.

There's a lot of good things to say about the Bears this year, it's just not offensively. Once they can step up against multiple teams, playing all 4 quarters like the defense has, then they can get their props too. Until then, they are getting as much credit as they deserve at this point.

For the record, if you had predicted 3500, 21, 18, 7 I would have ripped you for having INTs too high, but that's about it. 3500 and 21 is a decent guess with this offensive line.

Nearly all the problems Cutler has are solved by fixing the OL. There is a reason he torched the NFL when he played with the Broncos, and it has virtually nothing to do with the skill players. Their OL put defenders on the ground, and it gave Cutler a ton of time to throw. And when the didn't put people on the ground, Cutler often rolled out.

You're right; he hasn't lived up to the cost of the trade. But if you buy a Porsche and put it on four donuts...

For the record, if you had predicted 3500, 21, 18, 7 I would have ripped you for having INTs too high, but that's about it. 3500 and 21 is a decent guess with this offensive line.

Nearly all the problems Cutler has are solved by fixing the OL. There is a reason he torched the NFL when he played with the Broncos, and it has virtually nothing to do with the skill players. Their OL put defenders on the ground, and it gave Cutler a ton of time to throw. And when the didn't put people on the ground, Cutler often rolled out.

You're right; he hasn't lived up to the cost of the trade. But if you buy a Porsche and put it on four donuts...

He's more like one of the VW replicas of a Porche on doughnut tires to me. He's may look like he can tear up the road ahead, but he's just missing a lot of what is necessary to do that. That's just my opinion tho.

I'm not the trade in the post before. I responding more to the idea of, if one side of the ball does good in one game then the other is going to be looked bad. I was just trying to say the O is bad. Jay and the whole offense have under performed this year. They will get negative remarks they deserve till they prove something like the D. The D won't get those negative remarks because they over performed and when they simmer down, they have already proven they are good.

He's more like one of the VW replicas of a Porche on doughnut tires to me. He's may look like he can tear up the road ahead, but he's just missing a lot of what is necessary to do that. That's just my opinion tho.

I'm not the trade in the post before. I responding more to the idea of, if one side of the ball does good in one game then the other is going to be looked bad. I was just trying to say the O is bad. Jay and the whole offense have under performed this year. They will get negative remarks they deserve till they prove something like the D. The D won't get those negative remarks because they over performed and when they simmer down, they have already proven they are good.

I respect your opinion, but feel Jay has more in the engine. He's just not allowed to use it. Maybe it has a little bit to do with the tires as well as the road? If you plan to drive fast, you probably shouldn't drive on a winding road. That goes on planning/coaching.

:cheers

More examples:

Emery fixed the back-up QB issues, DL depth problems, WR holes, secondary issues, and ST because of the loss of Corey Graham.

Had he not done the first one, they'd still have Hanie. Happy? No.

Had he not gotten Marshall and Jeffery, they'd have Hester and Bennett. Satisfied? Hardly.

Had he not kept Idonije and drafted McClellin, the D-line's depth would be f***ed. That'd be great. NOT.

Had he let Graham go and gotten nobody to replace him (Costanzo and Weems), the ST would be even worse than it already is.

Had he not kept Jennings + signed Hayden, how good would this elite D be? Probably not so elite.

Emery had a lot of holes to fill and did his best. I'm sure he'll once again do all he can in 2013 to add better players to this team and it'll likely start on the OL. Besides, how was he supposed to know Carimi was going to be THIS f***ing bad?

We could have the Cutler debate all day. He's won 25 of his last 34 starts, 11 of his last 12, and 13 of his last 17. He's won 8 straight at home. He leads all QB's in 4th quarter QB rating. If he hadn't gotten hurt in 2010 they might've won a championship. If he hadn't got hurt last year, there was no way they weren't going to the playoffs. Consider all of those things and then remind yourself how much talent he had his first 3 years here + the OL talent he's had for every year he's been here. If that's not worth 2 first round picks (both selections busted for Denver, I might add) and $7.7m this year, then your opinion of "worth" is too far out there for me. I'll leave it at that.

Emery fixed the back-up QB issues, DL depth problems, WR holes, secondary issues, and ST because of the loss of Corey Graham.

Had he not gotten Marshall and Jeffery, they'd have Hester and Bennett. Satisfied? Hardly.

Had he not kept Idonije and drafted McClellin, the D-line's depth would be f***ed. That'd be great. NOT.

Had he let Graham go and gotten nobody to replace him (Costanzo and Weems), the ST would be even worse than it already is.

Had he not kept Jennings + signed Hayden, how good would this elite D be? Probably not so elite.

Emery had a lot of holes to fill and did his best. I'm sure he'll once again do all he can in 2013 to add better players to this team and it'll likely start on the OL. Besides, how was he supposed to know Carimi was going to be THIS f***ing bad?

We could have the Cutler debate all day. He's won 25 of his last 34 starts, 11 of his last 12, and 13 of his last 17. He's won 8 straight at home. He leads all QB's in 4th quarter QB rating. If he hadn't gotten hurt in 2010 they might've won a championship. If he hadn't got hurt last year, there was no way they weren't going to the playoffs. Consider all of those things and then remind yourself how much talent he had his first 3 years here + the OL talent he's had for every year he's been here. If that's not worth 2 first round picks (both selections busted for Denver, I might add) and $7.7m this year, then your opinion of "worth" is too far out there for me. I'll leave it at that.

Booyah!!! :headbang

I'm glad at least the fact the team is 6-1 is recognized. That, if for nothing else, says a lot. The game of "what ifs" is too hypothetical.

And Rex Grossman was the reason the Bears went to the Super Bowl and Kyle Orton does nothing but win games.

I'm sorry but it's been the Defense and not Cutler that makes this team a competitor, and has since he has been here. Forte has had a bigger influence. He has a below average QB IQ, with above average QB talent. Sometimes he will play to the above average talent and look great. Other times he will play down to the low QB IQ and be horrible. BTW, it's good he has the highest 4th QB rating this year, because he isn't even in the top 20 for QB rating in the first half. It'd mean a lot more if he was needed to win games at that point, which for the most part he hasn't.

Like I said to Jason, I'm not going to go into whether he was worth the trade. I will say he hasn't played up to the billing. You can blame every other person on the offense, but after 7 years in the league he isn't getting any better. Yes, the line needs fixed and that will help, but he'll still have bad mechanics, still throw into triple coverage and still have those head scratcher games until he retires.

Speaking of offensive line, how can you say that back up QB is a more pressing need? DLine depth was more important than the OLine? Replacing a special teams player was better than making a move to improve the line? Don't get me wrong I love the addition of Marshall, but did Marshall help Cutler achieve a better year than last? The line has been atrocious for years and ignoring it last year was ridiculous.

Cutler is an average starter at best, and there is nothing wrong with that. The D is the best in the league imho, Marshall and Forte are top 5 in their positions, this team can win with an average QB. Here's lookin towards 7-1!!! :cheers

Emery did well, but I completely disagree with the DL comment. The depth would still be good, particularly at the DT position. Why is the DL the only group where the Bears expect to have exemplary starters and starter-quality backups? McClellin was the wrong pick at the time. I hope he turns into the next Clay Matthews - without the lame celebration - but the pick would have been better spent elsewhere.

And Rex Grossman was the reason the Bears went to the Super Bowl and Kyle Orton does nothing but win games.

I'm sorry but it's been the Defense and not Cutler that makes this team a competitor, and has since he has been here. Forte has had a bigger influence. He has a below average QB IQ, with above average QB talent. Sometimes he will play to the above average talent and look great. Other times he will play down to the low QB IQ and be horrible. BTW, it's good he has the highest 4th QB rating this year, because he isn't even in the top 20 for QB rating in the first half. It'd mean a lot more if he was needed to win games at that point, which for the most part he hasn't.

Like I said to Jason, I'm not going to go into whether he was worth the trade. I will say he hasn't played up to the billing. You can blame every other person on the offense, but after 7 years in the league he isn't getting any better. Yes, the line needs fixed and that will help, but he'll still have bad mechanics, still throw into triple coverage and still have those head scratcher games until he retires.

Speaking of offensive line, how can you say that back up QB is a more pressing need? DLine depth was more important than the OLine? Replacing a special teams player was better than making a move to improve the line? Don't get me wrong I love the addition of Marshall, but did Marshall help Cutler achieve a better year than last? The line has been atrocious for years and ignoring it last year was ridiculous.

Cutler is an average starter at best, and there is nothing wrong with that. The D is the best in the league imho, Marshall and Forte are top 5 in their positions, this team can win with an average QB. Here's lookin towards 7-1!!! :cheers

The bolded part is what I've been saying for quite some time. The WRs got fixed. Same problems. Same results. Actually worse this year than last year. So where are all the "but if they get bigger, better WRs the offensive problems get fixed"-people?

Simply put, that line of reasoning was wrong.

jason, I think you're trolling again. Maybe one person said that O line isn't the problem and all we need is a WR...but the overwhelming majority has always said we need to fix both. Some figured WR may be more important, others OL. Both are important. One area is fixed. Marshall and Jeffrey look to be long term answers.

And we have improved. Last year at this time, we were 4-3. We are now 6-1. With a better line next season, we should be 7-0. yes the D is playing lights out...but the O has done its job and put points up when needed barring one debacle.

Realistically, did anyone on earth expect that we'd be able to address every single hole in the team in one off-season with a new GM whose hands were to some extent tied?

We have enough in place to make a run at this thing if we can improve. I fully expect that. With one more off-season, I expect even more...

The bolded part is what I've been saying for quite some time. The WRs got fixed. Same problems. Same results. Actually worse this year than last year. So where are all the "but if they get bigger, better WRs the offensive problems get fixed"-people?

Simply put, that line of reasoning was wrong.

You may be right. But I have no doubt that McClellin was a Smith pick up. I foresee Emery putting more of his own stamp on the draft next season. I think we all figured on that... I imagine Smith was irritated when we didn't get another DT when we picked up Alshon!

Emery did well, but I completely disagree with the DL comment. The depth would still be good, particularly at the DT position. Why is the DL the only group where the Bears expect to have exemplary starters and starter-quality backups? McClellin was the wrong pick at the time. I hope he turns into the next Clay Matthews - without the lame celebration - but the pick would have been better spent elsewhere.

Going into this off season i hoped that the OL and WR would be addressed. I was very happy with what they did at WR. They did nothing at the OL. Our Oline is terrible. Im not asking for some pro bowl Oline. Just one that can consistently give Cutler time to throw. How about the bears get an Average Oline or cross my fingers a GOOD oline. We do not need a great Oline just a good or average one. With the weapons on O and a QB that has all the talent in the world Cutler can be an elite QB. Im not saying he is an Elite QB now just that he can be.

Cutler has shown that when given time to throw the ball he can tear apart Defenses, esp with the weapons he has now. All that is missing is an oline that can block for him. This O has been feast of Famine largely due to the Oline being terrrible. The feast has come when the Oline looks good.

How can you say the D has been the reason the Bears have been good since 2010? Are you even watching the games? This year, the D has carried the O, obviously. Look back in the 2nd half of 2010. Look from weeks 4-8 last year when the offense was scoring 30 ppg. And to even say Forte > Cutler in terms of team importance is crazy. Cutler is a good QB with decent IQ and great talent. Does it show always? No. Did Brett Favre's? No. Does Tom Brady's? No.

Yeah, he'll have bad mechanics. There are about 6 QB's with good mechanics in the NFL. What's your point? Throw into triple coverage? He's done that once this year.

How do I say back-up QB is more of a need than OL? Because with an even worse OL last year, had they had a QB to replace Cutler with the capabilities of Campbell, they make the playoffs. That's how.

How do I say back-up QB is more of a need than OL? Because with an even worse OL last year, had they had a QB to replace Cutler with the capabilities of Campbell, they make the playoffs. That's how.

I may be alone in this, but I disagreed with this philosophy during the off season and am still disagree. I simply think if we would have had Campbell last year, yes, we would have made the playoffs. Do I think we would have won? No. For that reason, I still argue that it would have been more prudent to invest in one more piece to the OL instead of of a high priced backup QB and a slew of special teamers. One caviot, I loved the Bush signing. So, if the OL gets Cutler killed or the offense never gels. What difference does Campbell make if he doesn't bring home a championship?

I may be alone in this, but I disagreed with this philosophy during the off season and am still disagree. I simply think if we would have had Campbell last year, yes, we would have made the playoffs. Do I think we would have won? No. For that reason, I still argue that it would have been more prudent to invest in one more piece to the OL instead of of a high priced backup QB and a slew of special teamers. One caviot, I loved the Bush signing. So, if the OL gets Cutler killed or the offense never gels. What difference does Campbell make if he doesn't bring home a championship?

That was Jerry Angelo's philosophy. Of course it's part of what got him fired. But I tend to agree with it as well. I remember him outright saying (before Cutler's injury) that almost no team is going to compete for a championship with their 2nd string QB, so the value in them is overhyped. He put it more delicately than that of course.

That was Jerry Angelo's philosophy. Of course it's part of what got him fired. But I tend to agree with it as well. I remember him outright saying (before Cutler's injury) that almost no team is going to compete for a championship with their 2nd string QB, so the value in them is overhyped. He put it more delicately than that of course.

Angelo was not an idiot. We are contending with a team he built. But, his lack of OL had me wanting him gone well before the Hanie debacle.

jason, I think you're trolling again. Maybe one person said that O line isn't the problem and all we need is a WR...but the overwhelming majority has always said we need to fix both. Some figured WR may be more important, others OL. Both are important. One area is fixed. Marshall and Jeffrey look to be long term answers.

And we have improved. Last year at this time, we were 4-3. We are now 6-1. With a better line next season, we should be 7-0. yes the D is playing lights out...but the O has done its job and put points up when needed barring one debacle.

Realistically, did anyone on earth expect that we'd be able to address every single hole in the team in one off-season with a new GM whose hands were to some extent tied?

We have enough in place to make a run at this thing if we can improve. I fully expect that. With one more off-season, I expect even more...

No. There were many on this board who said the OL problems would be severely minimized if the WR position was vastly improved. Their reasoning was that Cutler could throw it quicker, and have more confidence in his receivers, which would make the time in pocket minimized. Trust me, the discussion was had on more than one occasion.

As far as improvement goes, the team has improved. The record has improved. The offense has not.

Wow. Now that's crazy talk. But since you're into the hypothetical...

They would have probably made the playoffs last year with Campbell as a backup, but who's to say the OL wouldn't have gotten him injured? And even more hypothetical, what if the OL was stellar last year? Maybe Cutler feels more comfortable and confident, doesn't have pressure in his face, doesn't feel the blitz around the end, and he never throws the INT?

Wow. Now that's crazy talk. But since you're into the hypothetical...

They would have probably made the playoffs last year with Campbell as a backup, but who's to say the OL wouldn't have gotten him injured? And even more hypothetical, what if the OL was stellar last year? Maybe Cutler feels more comfortable and confident, doesn't have pressure in his face, doesn't feel the blitz around the end, and he never throws the INT?

Johnny Knox did what Knox did best on the INT that resulted in the broken thumb- he fell. The OL had nothing to do with the INT. Whether he was falling, running his routes poorly, or dropping passes, Johnny Knox was a bad WR.

Once again, all I said Emery had a lot of holes to fill and did his best to fill most of them. There weren't a lot of OL out there in FA who were a definite upgrade. Riley Reiff at 19 would've been horrendous; he's doing OK in Detroit but they're using him sparingly out of a jumbo package. If he's not an upgrade up there over Backus and Cherilus, he wouldn't have been here.