New Bears Coach

adam

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One candidate told Michael Wright- "they better keep Marinelli; Trestman can't command a great presence in the room."

A former player told Sean Jensen- "if I owned a team, I'd hire Trestman as my head coach" and another said "he's not a yeller but the smartest man in the room. He's a great teacher."

Greg Bedard, who used to cover Miami and GB and now writes for the Boston Globe, calls Trestman: "terrific, organized, smart, sought out by NFL coaches for offensive strategy."

So, there's both ends of the spectrum.

Here's a pro-Trestman CBS article from 2009.

This quote from the article works for me: "One of these days [and we fear it may be sooner rather than later] some NFL team is going to figure out that Trestman has one of the best football minds on the continent, and he's going to be lured away. He's the only coach we've ever seen to rival Marv Levy in intensity, preparation, detail and inspiration." It also says he's not an emotional person on the sidelines, which will rub people the wrong way I'm sure, a la Lovie.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/291007364251910144

So Trestman, Bevell, and Arians are the finalists. I would be ok with any of them.

I'm not big on Bevell, but Trestmen and Arians are 2 of my 3 favorites. I'm not really impressed with Bevell's body of work. If he beats out those other 2 great candidates in the final interview process, then I'll definitely be open to giving him a chance.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/291007364251910144

So Trestman, Bevell, and Arians are the finalists. I would be ok with any of them.

I think Arians is the lead for San Diego, since his buddy is the GM, so he has a choice. The more I here about Bevell, the more he sounds as the better choice. Trestman is a smart guy but not a vocal leader as Emery stated he wanted.

I'm not big on Bevell, but Trestmen and Arians are 2 of my 3 favorites. I'm not really impressed with Bevell's body of work. If he beats out those other 2 great candidates in the final interview process, then I'll definitely be open to giving him a chance.

I'm cool with all 3. Personally i want trestman and keep marinelli as DC

I think Arians is the lead for San Diego, since his buddy is the GM, so he has a choice. The more I here about Bevell, the more he sounds as the better choice. Trestman is a smart guy but not a vocal leader as Emery stated he wanted.

We all have opinions based on stuff we read, but lets face it, Emery is in the room interviewing these guys, so I trust he will make the right choice.

Arians offense gets his quarterbacks killed. Andrew Luck #2 this year in QB hits and #9 in sacks. Roethlisberger and the Steelers offense were always in the top 10 in sacks given up while he was the coordinator. He likes vertical passing and power running. I prefer a WCO and a zone based running game.

Well, I don't know about the ZBS, but Trestman is a WCO guy.

Bevell as well. I just think that offense fits our personnel better than a lot of deep passing. We don't have any burners at receiver. Now if they shocked the world and spent money on Mike Wallace, perhaps I would change my mind.

If they spend $8-10m/year on Mike Wallace, I'll drink a bottle of windex.

Ian Rapoport: "Sources: Alouettes coach Marc Trestman spent all day today at Halas Hall speaking with #Bears people again."

(sorry for all the posts; just figured I'd keep you all updated.)

Now Bruce Arians has been reported a finalist, per Jensen.

Keep them coming. I appreciate the hard work you provide and everyone else as this is where I turn to hourly for all the latest news regarding the Bears HC search.

I'm cool with all 3. Personally i want trestman and keep marinelli as DC

Agreed. Is there anyone who doesn't want to see us continue with our current defense? Our defense was good. Our special teams was good. Our offense was putrid.

That being said, we are letting Dave Toub interview for other special teams jobs which indicates we don't want him back. WTF??? To me that would rank up their with firing Chico and replacing him with Bob Babich. Not good.

If they spend $8-10m/year on Mike Wallace, I'll drink a bottle of windex.

Just can't see that with the money already tied up in Marshall and Bennett as well as the limited salary cap after we re-sign current players and possibly OL via FA.

Bevell as well. I just think that offense fits our personnel better than a lot of deep passing. We don't have any burners at receiver. Now if they shocked the world and spent money on Mike Wallace, perhaps I would change my mind.

Cincinatti fans will tell you that having two "alpha-male" WR's doesn't work. Not to mention, we're paying BM 9 million per. We can't lock up that much in one position.

We need a competent TE and a speed guy off the edge who can stretch the field. If Johnny Knox could return to form, that would be ideal but that ain't likely happening. Either way, we could get both of those for far less than what Wallace would cost.

Arians offense gets his quarterbacks killed. Andrew Luck #2 this year in QB hits and #9 in sacks. Roethlisberger and the Steelers offense were always in the top 10 in sacks given up while he was the coordinator. He likes vertical passing and power running. I prefer a WCO and a zone based running game.

This. He chucks it far too much.

Guest TerraTor

could care less about Bevell, nothing against the guy, but not sure how u serve as QB Coach while Brett Favre is around. And is he the same guy who on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 never gave the ball to Marshawn Lynch??

I am going against my normal instinct, but Im thinking Trestman can really throw some crazy stuff our way.. Seems as though he is also willing to admit his errors and change completely..

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post...coaching-search