New Bears Coach

adam

Chicago has now been connected to Mike Sullivan, Falcons special teams coach Keith Armstrong, and Broncos OC Mike McCoy in the hours since Lovie Smith was fired. Sullivan was with the Giants as quarterbacks coach when they won their two most recent Super Bowls before moving on to Tampa Bay to be Greg Schiano's offensive coordinator. The Bucs finished No. 9 in the league in total offense in 2012.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2468/bears-offense

I thought it would be easier to put all the new rumors and news about the new coach into one thread.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will update this portion as names come up:

HC Prospects (13JAN):

1. Mike McCoy - Denver OC *

2. Keith Armstrong - Atlanta ST *

3. Mike Sullivan - Tampa OC *

4. Joe DeCamillis - Dallas ST *

5. Tom Clements, Green Bay OC *

6. Pete Carmichael, New Orleans OC *

7. Bruce Arians, Indianapolis OC *

8. Marc Trestman, Montreal Alouettes HC *

9. Rick Dennison, Houston OC *

10. Darrell Bevell, Seattle OC *

11. Mike Singletary, Minnesota LB's Coach *

12. Mike Priefer, Minnesota ST *

13. Dave Toub, Chicago ST *

* - Interview completed

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My personal list is pretty wide open. But the main guys that I'd be most excited about would have to be McCoy, Shannahan, and Jon Gruden. Though I would think about guys like Brian Kelly and Bill Obrien as possible college coaches too, along with many others; Greg Roman for one.

Why not Chip Kelly?

People say Kelly has his QB run too much for the pros and that couldn't be further from the truth. The difference with Kelly's spread is there really isn't ever a called QB draw or scramble....the QB only runs when he wants to in that offense.

I personally think Cutler's athletic abilities are highly underrated and he's a much better QB on the move....he'd fit that offense like a glove as would the rest of our offense.

Put me down on spending $15 mil/year on Chip Kelly. (Well not really but that's probably what he'll cost....I'll bet Phil Knight got a chuckle when Payton only got 8mil/year).

Why not Chip Kelly?

People say Kelly has his QB run too much for the pros and that couldn't be further from the truth. The difference with Kelly's spread is there really isn't ever a called QB draw or scramble....the QB only run when he wants to in that offense.

I personally think Cutler's athletic abilities are highly underrated and he's a much better QB on the move....he'd fit that offense like a glove as would the rest of our offense.

Put me down on spending $15 mil/year on Chip Kelly. (Well not really but that's probably what he'll cost....I'll bet Phil Knight got a chuckle when Payton only got 8mil/year).

Only reason for why I wouldn't include Chip Kelly is because I think there would have to be such a drastic overhaul of the roster to fit with the up-tempo scheme he likely would be implementing. The Bears don't have enough fast guys on either side of the ball to make it work right away. Based on what Emery talked about this morning, he didn't sound like a guy that wanted to go through a major rebuilding process.

I do like Kelly though, and think he would be a nice addition to a team like the Eagles.

NFL.com has a head coaching tracker and makes this report. I am sure there will be many more additions as time progresses.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000012...-search-tracker

The Bears have set up three early interviews. Ian Rapoport of NFL.com reports that Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan will interview for the vacant Bears job. Albert Breer of NFL.com reports Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy will meet with Bears GM Phil Emery. Atlanta Falcons special teams coordinator Keith Armstrong will also meet with the Bears, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

Fox Sports insider and NFL Network contributor Jay Glazer reported the Bears have requested permission to interview Dallas Cowboys special teams coach Joe DeCamillis

Here are two links that list the top Head Coaching Prospects, varied opinions....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000011...hing-candidates

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1417173...oaches-for-2013

Anyone else have any good resources. I would love to read up on other possible canidates that might be brought in for interviews in the next few weeks by Emery.

Ok, way outside the box thinking here but what about a guy like Troy Aikman? Sure he doesn't have coaching experience but neither did Jason Garret (in all reality) before he was made the man in Dallas. (That and he was backup to Troy for heck dake). And if Emery is leaning towards keeping most of the current staff in place, why not? Would also alleviate the idea of Emery losing control to a coach like Holmgren or Cowher. With regards to QBs becoming coaches it's worked for Jim Harbaugh and Kubiak. And another thing to condsider is the unique chemistry Cutler and he could foster.

Outside of that "irrationality" I'd be a fan of someone like Brian Billick.

Ok, way outside the box thinking here but what about a guy like Troy Aikman? Sure he doesn't have coaching experience but neither did Jason Garret (in all reality) before he was made the man in Dallas. And if Emery is leaning towards keeping most of the current staff in place, why not? Would also alleviate the idea of Emery losing control to a coach like Holmgren or Cowher.

Outside of that "irrationality" I'd be a fan of someone like Brian Billick.

Garret was at least an OC, and a fairly hot name, before he got the Dallas job.

Some interesting comments from Emery:

"I want somebody to have some warmth that pulls everybody together in that we have synergy not only with our players but everybody in the building to work towards our common goal," he said. "Upbeat and positive. Everybody has a different personality. Everybody represents themselves in a different way, but those qualities are paramount. We all want to work together in a position environment towards winning championships."

"I want somebody that's good on their feet. I think working with the media, not only in Chicago but in a national sense is very important. I want this person to stand up and represent us well," Emery said, without identifying any of the candidates the Bears have or will target. "It's a very tough job. It's very demanding. Wins and losses weigh heavily week to week. There needs to be a level of consistency in this individual in how he presents himself, not only when we're up but when we're down and how we're going to rebound from being down."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/gm-lagging-of...Y3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

Like I said, quotes like "everybody has a different personality" and "upbeat" screams Gruden to me. I think Bears4Ever brought up in another thread that he also mentioned the Shanahans or whatever, but this just smells like Gruden to me.

He had a rough 6 years, but hopefully a few years doing MNF will help him adjust to today's NFL.

Clements really stands out to me, and probably who I want to see hired. He knows the teams biggest rival in and out. He helped Elvis Grbac, kordell, and tommy maddox to pro bowl appearances. He has ties to Chicago, practiced law there for 5 years. Made Matt Flynn look good.

I really don't like McCoy. I don't want to see another team's special teams coach hired and Tampa has never impressed me with their offense. I don't want to see the big name retreads brought in, so yea, Clements is my guy I am rooting for.

I must be having a major brain fart. Who is Anderson?

My fault. I meant Armstrong. :banghead

Clements really stands out to me, and probably who I want to see hired. He knows the teams biggest rival in and out. He helped Elvis Grbac, kordell, and tommy maddox to pro bowl appearances. He has ties to Chicago, practiced law there for 5 years. Made Matt Flynn look good.

I really don't like McCoy. I don't want to see another team's special teams coach hired and Tampa has never impressed me with their offense. I don't want to see the big name retreads brought in, so yea, Clements is my guy I am rooting for.

Did he, or did McCarthy?

My fault. I meant Armstrong. :banghead

Did he, or did McCarthy?

Clement's issue is his limited experience running an O combined with the fact that he's older for an assistant (59 IIRC) to be hired as a HC. I really would have loved (and have always been high on) getting him a year or two years ago as our OC (too bad we couldn't get him).

Supposedly the Armstrong interview is happening tonight. I personally didn't see this guy as a legit candidate when his name came out yesterday. This would make the 2nd special teams coordinator that Emery is going to interview.

I think he would be a tough sell in Chicago, especially being someone with no NFL offensive background in coaching. I don't think anybody had heard of this man until yesterday, unless you were that familiar with the days going back to Dave Wannstedt when he worked in Chicago. If he winds up being the head coach, I trust Emery to make the right decision until he proves all of us wrong, though I would really not be overly enthused about it. Norv Turner as OC? Meh.. He runs too much of the same stuff Mike Martz does. I wouldn't be that excited about him either. I just want some guy that can come in here as a Head Coach, with an offensive mind, who is innovative. The two guys at the top of my list are still McCoy and Shannahan.

Clements was one of the guys I had on my radar too. He's 59 though. He's been praised for his development of Rodgers and Flynn. Some will say it's more McCarthy, but Clements definitely played a vital role in quarterback play. If you hire him he’d have an very good understanding of the Packers and how to beat them, based on what he's seen in practice. Knowing their audibles, so on and so forth.. I don't know Tom Clements, but he wouldn't strike me as an "Energy" guy that Emery has been talking about.

Clements age does bother me. It's kinda hard to expect a 10 year tenure like Lovie. Of the names listed for interviews, I like him the best tho. Reading that article in the offseason, where Demarius Thomas said now that Manning is there he had to start running routes and learning them as he didn't the first 2 years was something that stuck with me. When I looked it up again after McCoy was listed as a candidate, it made me not want him here.

Andy Reid is the only retread I like right now. The only knock on him to me is I think he could use a year or 2 away from the game, but AZ may have him locked up.

I love Gruden, but his time away from coaching scares me. The Bears situation does remind me a lot of when he came into Tampa Bay tho. A top aging defense, with the need of a boost from offense to make a Super Bowl run. Prior coach fired for not being able to get over the hump.

Shannahan I don't like. Can't say why really, I just haven't. He did definitely did do good this year with Cousins and RG3 this year tho.