New Bears Coach

adam

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a specific comment on you...but I'm amazed at how much better Trestman seems to be viewed compared to just a week ago.

I agree.

However, I understand why people have really turned onto Trestman. All of these big names such as Gruden, Jimmy Johnson, Steve Young, Jim Gannon....the list just keeps going....say he would fit Cutler like a glove and what a great offensive mind is.

If you add in the fact that Emery has interviewed everyone under the sun and it sounds as if he likes Trestman better than anyone- that has to count for a lot.

Of the 3 being mentioned I would prefer Trestman or Arians.

To clarify I meant 3-4 defense. in my last post.

To get back to the real subject at hand I too can see why the board has changed its mind on Trestman...When the reports first came out all anyone here probably knew was this guy is a CFL coach and there initial reaction being negative...Then the more we learned about the guy we grew to really like him.

Trestman and Emery have similar personalities. Unless Bevell or Arians nail their final interviews it's gotta be Trestman's job to lose.

That's something I've picked up on too. The amount of hard work he supposedly does, and the 8+ hour interview reminded me a lot of Emery. Emery is definitely putting in the time with the search, thought out the flaws from last year, and took an extra long time with that 1 hour presser explaining everything.

They both seem to be very methodical and go over every detail from what I've read and seen on both. Emery would be Trestmen if he was a coach, and vice versa.

That's something I've picked up on too. The amount of hard work he supposedly does, and the 8+ hour interview reminded me a lot of Emery. Emery is definitely putting in the time with the search, thought out the flaws from last year, and took an extra long time with that 1 hour presser explaining everything.

They both seem to be very methodical and go over every detail from what I've read and seen on both. Emery would be Trestmen if he was a coach, and vice versa.

This is why. Trestman is my guy. Knowing that your head coach and gm are on the same wave length only bolds well for the team.

final NOTE: parts of the cover 2 can be used in a defensive scheme just like i mentioned the 46. it just can't work the way we run it consistently and anyone who believes that marinelli is some savior that is going to bring our defense to all-world status without serious change is sadly mistaken.

You are going to be looking for that person for a very long time and you have no quotes on this board for anyone promoting that.

What you described as the Lovie-2 is exactly what Lovie ran when he made himself DC and it was horrible. Marinelli clearly has changed things to be more aggressive but he is not Rex Ryan.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other thoughts...

We did run quite a few stunts last season so I'm not sure why there is so much complaining that we don't do that.

Melton is young, had a back injury the second half of the season and still made the Pro Bowl and still some don't like him. Surprising. Without him we had no interior pass rush. We better sign him as he is the first sign of life our interior Dline has had since Harris' Pro Bowl days.

Marinelli ran a horrible prevent defense against the Seahawks and ruined my first trip back to Chicago in 5 years. Or was that Lovie's decision? For Lovie's entire tenure Lovie has put our D back on their heels late in games when we had the lead when all we had to do was just keep playing the same solid D we had played all game. Bottom line is we don't know what Marinelli would do unchecked by Lovie.

We also don't know who our new HC would bring in as his coordinator so speculating that he, or in this case with no names as candidates, anyone, will be better than what Marinelli has done is pure conjecture. Marinelli gave us a top 10 defense. So the challenge for the new guy is pretty steep. This is especially true because we now are 100% certain we are hiring an Offensive-minded HC. Kinda like hoping Lovie will fix the offense because he can't bring in anyone worse than Terry Shea. I'm not saying a new DC wouldn't do a better job than Marinelli but those who view that as a sure thing, or that any change has to be better than what we have, are wrong IMO. Read the article on Trestman's last couple seasons in Montreal to see his difficulties with the defense.