Grumbling over Emery....

madlithuanian

I love it. So your telling me our gm is doing everything he can "legally" to fix our issue. Darn what a shame lol. The 1 thing i hate the most in life is when ppl make knee jerk reaction. Obviously emery doesn't make such reactions. I love taking a wide look at ppl. Who knows he might find the next great HC. Remember back in 06(i believe). Alabama settled on the 6th Choice(nick saban). I think its safe to say that worked out well

I like that he is interviewing a lot of people. If one of his favorites was in the playoffs, he would have waited til this week to interview them anyways. This way he is getting practice interviewing and getting some looks at people that may blow him away, which he wouldn't have got if he just waited for Bevell, McCoy, Clements, or Arians.

I think Emery is doing scouting too.

When these candidates come to interview, they talk about offensive philosophy. They say what they would do with the Bears.

This way Emery gets lots of really well qualified consultants, for free. He also learns how these people think, and makes relationships. It's a pretty smart thing to do.

I don't think he is seriously interested in actually hiring all of these people, but what he's doing is pretty smart if you ask me.

And yeah, we can't discount the possibility that someone unexpected blows him away. It's unlikely tho, and even so there's lots of avlue in doing it this way beyond just finding a head coach.

Let him gather information. It's good for us!

exactly!

He's new and he's trying to learn as much as possible. I love it!

When these candidates come to interview, they talk about offensive philosophy. They say what they would do with the Bears.

This way Emery gets lots of really well qualified consultants, for free. He also learns how these people think, and makes relationships. It's a pretty smart thing to do.

I don't think he is seriously interested in actually hiring all of these people, but what he's doing is pretty smart if you ask me.

And yeah, we can't discount the possibility that someone unexpected blows him away. It's unlikely tho, and even so there's lots of avlue in doing it this way beyond just finding a head coach.

He can get away with this for a little bit in part because he knows the Bears have the best job available.

Also, Emery has kept the schedule fast interviewing someone every day or nearly every day so the wait won't be that long to interview 10 guys. However, he does have competition and if he really likes someone he can't risk losing him either. He can't go much longer than probably this weekend before deciding who he wants to bring in for second interviews.

Bingo. Who passes up free consultation from qualified experts?

the way he's gone about this from the get go has been refreshing and has given me confidence that he will bring in the guy he feels will be the best fit here in Chicago.

I like that he didn't wait a few days before firing Smith, he did so the day after the game. He had already prepared and sent out paperwork to get permission to interview candidates Monday morning. We find that he had pretty much made up his mind weeks before that regardless of how things shook out that he wanted to go in a different direction with the Coaching position. I think it was also respectful to Lovie by making the decision right away on Monday which gives Smith more time to make his plans and contact other teams for their vacancies. I think both Emery and Smith handled the situation with class and I think that will serve both the Bears and Smith well going forward. It sends the message that Emory, knows what he's doing, has a plan and isn't afraid to take action. This choice was not a spur of the moment, reactionary move as a result of the packers vikings game. It was premeditated, he had a list of guys he had in mind before he waved goodbye to Smith.

I like that he started interviewing as soon as possible and has been interviewing a lot of candidates with a variety of backgrounds. It does show he's not just saying it but he's demonstrating that he will be thorough in the search, and that bodes well. It's very smart to cast a wide net here, given he's new to the GM position, its a smart move to pick different candidates brains, and see who has the best ideas/plans to take the Bears to the next level.

I am in agreement with everyone on this topic. Emery is continuing to impress me with the way he has handled everything since replacing Angelo. If the rest of the league is upset because he is apparently doing his due diligence in searching for who he feels will be the right fit to lead this team on the field, then too damn bad for them. There is a rule in the NFL that requires interviewing minority candidates and it does not say that Emery is not able to interview anyone he feels is a potential candidate in his mind. Kudos for everything Emery is doing and hopefully as it continues to go he will ideally get us to talk about him in the same breath as Jim Finks and JerryVainisi when all is said and done.

More on Emery, I didn't see this posted anywhere:

Two HC candidates that interviewed with Chicago said they never have interviewed with anyone as prepared and detailed as Bears GM Phil Emery

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/290121495768870912

To me, this is like a breath of fresh air, it is such a nice change to hear things like this.

More on Emery, I didn't see this posted anywhere:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/290121495768870912

To me, this is like a breath of fresh air, it is such a nice change to hear things like this.

Thanks for sharing this and absolutely.....this is great news.

I don't ever recall others being overly complimental of Angelo in any aspect through his 10 years.

Thanks for sharing this and absolutely.....this is great news.

I don't ever recall others being overly complimental of Angelo in any aspect through his 10 years.

If one guy says that, it is one thing, but when it is corroborated with a 2nd person completely separated from the first, that basically confirms the information.

and no, we never heard that about Angelo. Stuff like this really impresses me about Emery, because this type of execution breeds success.

We only had to listen to Emery's press conference after firing Lovie to understand the details he went through to analyze Lovie's performance. This wasn't a simple ...he didn't make the playoffs deal. In just one example, he evaluated Oline performance and compared that to other successful teams. As he said, (paraphrasing) every team has shortcomings on their roster but some know how to overcome them. We didn't.

All that data and analysis leads right into the job interviews where he no doubt got more analysis free of charge.

We only had to listen to Emery's press conference after firing Lovie to understand the details he went through to analyze Lovie's performance. This wasn't a simple ...he didn't make the playoffs deal. In just one example, he evaluated Oline performance and compared that to other successful teams. As he said, (paraphrasing) every team has shortcomings on their roster but some know how to overcome them. We didn't.

All that data and analysis leads right into the job interviews where he no doubt got more analysis free of charge.

This all bodes well here's to a new Era in Bears history. Kudos to picking Emory in the GM search, it sure feels like there has been a serious culture shift within the Bears organization. :cheers