Aaron Kromer hired as OC and O-Line coach

balta1701-A

No Kool-Aid, I just felt that Tice and the scheme was holding the Bears offense back more so than the actual players. We will get the O-Line help via FA and draft. I believe Jeffery is that 2nd WR. Just think, we are going to actually have players in positions that maximize the matchups. There will be an actual game plan on offense.

I really like Jeffrey and i think he can be that #2. My post was more that we don't know yet and until someone steps up to be that guy this offense could struggle. However i do agree that tice held us back. His play calling was crap. I gave him benefit of tge doubt early on but as yr went on and it continued to suck i couldn't defend it anymore

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to imagine this team not becoming lethal behind a strong Oline. I expect some last year in Denver numbers outta Cutler, 4k+ yards and 25+ TDs....Call it drinkin kool aid or whatever you'd like if they get the right pieces on the line this team should at the very least be in the top half in offense.

It's hard to imagine this team not becoming lethal behind a strong Oline. I expect some last year in Denver numbers outta Cutler, 4k+ yards and 25+ TDs....Call it drinkin kool aid or whatever you'd like if they get the right pieces on the line this team should at the very least be in the top half in offense.

I could really see if that if oline is improved. And improvement from a WR not named BM and any production from the TE position. I've been waiting for him to take down some of Erik Kramers records

I could really see if that if oline is improved. And improvement from a WR not named BM and any production from the TE position. I've been waiting for him to take down some of Erik Kramers records

We are going from Lovie and Tice to Trestman and Kromer. Trestman alone is a better offensive mind than Lovie and Tice combined. Then you throw Kromer in there and the offense becomes a team strength.

The 2002 Raiders are a great snapshot of this. They were the #2 scoring offense in the league. Gannon threw for 4,689 with 26 TDs and 10 INTs. The leading rusher was Charlie Garner who also caught 91 passes for 941 yards (91 receptions by the RB - wow), and the leading WR's were Jerry Rice (92-1211) and Tim Brown (81-930).

I would say Cutler is at least comparable to Gannon, if not more physically gifted at this point is his career. Forte is much better than Garner was at the time. For the WR's, Rice was 40 at the time, so it is hard to not say Marshall is not better than him now than at that point in his career. Brown too was getting up there at 38. Jeffery is nowhere near Brown in terms of experience, but we saw flashes that leads me to believe with the right coaches and schemes, he could have a monster year. The 3rd best WR was Porter who had 51-688. I could see someone like Bennett replicating that. For TE's, they had Jolley and Williams combine for 59-622. Pretty decent production for those two players who were not very good. Now we just need a real TE and we will be good.

I really don't think significant upgrades are needed at WR, they need a speed guy that's not a CB being disguised as a WR to be the #4 guy. Jeffery is gonna be that #2 guy and Bennett is a pretty good slot receiver.

As far as TEs go I think Evan Rodriguez will have a really solid year...Since posting TE videos have been a theme lately...Check out some game tape on Evan...and listen to the announcers. There's a Tony Gonzalez mention in there, and a mention that he was in the mid season Mackie Award running.

I know the opponents are pretty weak but he looks like a player. Trestman likes his FB/TE guys too, I think he gets utilized nicely.

We are going from Lovie and Tice to Trestman and Kromer. Trestman alone is a better offensive mind than Lovie and Tice combined. Then you throw Kromer in there and the offense becomes a team strength.

The 2002 Raiders are a great snapshot of this. They were the #2 scoring offense in the league. Gannon threw for 4,689 with 26 TDs and 10 INTs. The leading rusher was Charlie Garner who also caught 91 passes for 941 yards (91 receptions by the RB - wow), and the leading WR's were Jerry Rice (92-1211) and Tim Brown (81-930).

I would say Cutler is at least comparable to Gannon, if not more physically gifted at this point is his career. Forte is much better than Garner was at the time. For the WR's, Rice was 40 at the time, so it is hard to not say Marshall is not better than him now than at that point in his career. Brown too was getting up there at 38. Jeffery is nowhere near Brown in terms of experience, but we saw flashes that leads me to believe with the right coaches and schemes, he could have a monster year. The 3rd best WR was Porter who had 51-688. I could see someone like Bennett replicating that. For TE's, they had Jolley and Williams combine for 59-622. Pretty decent production for those two players who were not very good. Now we just need a real TE and we will be good.

My first thought when reading your post was, "I wonder who was protecting Gannon's immobile corpse while he was throwing for 4600+ yards?" As it turns out, they had a pretty good OL. A very odd collection of guys who just gelled that year. Kennedy was just like when the Bears squeezed the last drop out of Reuben Brown and John Tait. Barrett Robbins was a pro-bowl Center who turned out to be bipolar and basically missed the Super Bowl. Barry Sims was an undrafted guy who has turned in a solid career. And Mo Collins was a first rounder who had a shortened career due to injury. An offense with a decent QB, an average RB, and two aged WRS excel when with a pretty good OL. Whoda thunk it?

My first thought when reading your post was, "I wonder who was protecting Gannon's immobile corpse while he was throwing for 4600+ yards?" As it turns out, they had a pretty good OL. A very odd collection of guys who just gelled that year. Kennedy was just like when the Bears squeezed the last drop out of Reuben Brown and John Tait. Barrett Robbins was a pro-bowl Center who turned out to be bipolar and basically missed the Super Bowl. Barry Sims was an undrafted guy who has turned in a solid career. And Mo Collins was a first rounder who had a shortened career due to injury. An offense with a decent QB, an average RB, and two aged WRS excel when with a pretty good OL. Whoda thunk it?

Add in a very good offensive coordinator to that list. I don't remember any of those Olinemen except for Robbins and only then because he lost his mind, so they weren't exactly household names as a dominant Oline.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, Saints RBs and FBs were targeted 215 times. With Trestmans history of utilizing the RB I think this could be another reason why Kromar was brought in. I think this also helps take some pressure off the QB and could be why the Saints line was so successful.

Forte should have a huge year, and I think Rodriguez utilized as an H-Back could get a lot of looks.

Wow, Saints RBs and FBs were targeted 215 times. With Trestmans history of utilizing the RB I think this could be another reason why Kromar was brought in. I think this also helps take some pressure off the QB and could be why the Saints line was so successful.

Forte should have a huge year, and I think Rodriguez utilized as an H-Back could get a lot of looks.

I hope so and I have no idea why he wasn't last year. I believe he was a much better playmaker than what was shown last year.

Per Tim Kavanagh from Insider @ 9:54am EDT this morning-

Even before the 2012 season got rolling, there was a sense that the Chicago Bears didn't do enough to address their offensive line. So as Jay Cutler was running for his life throughout the campaign, this was not a surprising outcome. Furthermore, as the end of the season approached, it became more and more clear that the team would do something to address their OL personnel, and now that the start of the league year is getting closer, those plans are solidifying.

Four players who played significant roles for the team in 2012 -- Chris Spencer, Lance Louis, Chilo Rachal and Jonathan Scott -- are impending free agents, and there's no guarantee that any of them will be back. There are some options that will be available to Chicago in free agency -- potentially Jake Long, Branden Albert and Sebastian Vollmer outside as well as Andy Levitre and Brandon Moore inside -- and the draft could yield some help, too. However, for those hoping the Bears target some top talent in either manner, that may not be in the cards.

As the Chicago Tribune notes, new offensive coordinator Aaron Kromer has been quite adept at turning less-than-elite prospects into productive members of the Saints' O-line, including developing fourth-round pick Jermon Bushrod into a two-time Pro Bowler.

"You look at the way we have turned our offensive line over," Saints assistant HC Joe Vitt explained. "He has taken Jermon Bushrod as a rookie, now he's a two-time Pro Bowler. You see what he has done with Jahri Evans. You see what he has done with Brian De La Puente. You see what he has done with Zach Strief when Jon Stinchcomb left."

This isn't to say that the Bears won't be investing in some different options up front, but it may not be on big names in free agents, or with high picks in the draft.

Also worth noting:

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post...preview-ot#more

Branden Albert, Kansas City Chiefs: Albert has stated publicly he wants to stay in Kansas City, but a lot can happen whenever an NFL franchise goes through a regime change like the one taking place in the Chiefs organization. If Albert is available, the Bears should have all the necessary information to make an informed decision given the fact general manager Phil Emery spent three years in the Kansas City with Albert.

Per Tim Kavanagh from Insider @ 9:54am EDT this morning-

Ya, I listened to Alex Brown on some show after the Pro Bowl and he talked about the Saints line being filed with 4th and 5th round draft picks. He didn't mention anything about dumping it off to the RB/FB but I think think that's a huge part of it. 200+ times they targeted the backs, if you show the D you're content with dumping it off if when there is pressure then the D is going to have to lay off the gas pedal a bit.

On a note like that, I wonder if the Bears would look to bring in Cliff Avril and Jared Cook + keeping Melton and Roach and going all OL in the draft.

Signing Cliff Avril would admit failure to SMC IMO...He would then be the #4 DE behind Pep, Avril, and Wootton. While I for one don't think he'll amount to much as a DE, the front office apparently does....

Almost have to spend money on the OL.

I don't know if anyone's considered it, but wouldn't Hester have more chance having the offense make the best use of him and being developed better under Trestman than under Lovie? If he doesn't retire, maybe Trestman can get him to turn the corner. If we're assuming Trestman's good enough to turn around the entire offense, I don't see why not. We don't need Hester to become elite...just to be useful as a speed receiver from time to time.

Also, you can guarantee our new special teams coach is going to want to take a crack at getting Hester back to form as a returner. He just inherited the statistically best returner of all time. What new special teams coach wouldn't have that at the top of his list?

I don't know if anyone's considered it, but wouldn't Hester have more chance having the offense make the best use of him and being developed better under Trestman than under Lovie? If he doesn't retire, maybe Trestman can get him to turn the corner. If we're assuming Trestman's good enough to turn around the entire offense, I don't see why not. We don't need Hester to become elite...just to be useful as a speed receiver from time to time.

Also, you can guarantee our new special teams coach is going to want to take a crack at getting Hester back to form as a returner. He just inherited the statistically best returner of all time. What new special teams coach wouldn't have that at the top of his list?

Devin Hester isn't the same player. He's not fast as he once was, because he gained weight to be a WR. He's done.

Devin Hester isn't the same player. He's not fast as he once was, because he gained weight to be a WR. He's done.

I agree. Just watch any game in the last two seasons and tell me who Hester has beaten in a one-on-one situation? He always gets tackled by the first guy and most of the time loses yards (loses as in - does not gain what could be had) by dancing when he should just hit it hard and take what he can get. These are 3rd and sometimes 4th CB on the opponents roster, or a safety. Nobody is worried about covering him.

In fact I'm more worried that we'll give him the ball on another stupid reverse and that I'll have to watch him dance around until he runs out of bounds.

I agree. Just watch any game in the last two seasons and tell me who Hester has beaten in a one-on-one situation? He always gets tackled by the first guy and most of the time loses yards (loses as in - does not gain what could be had) by dancing when he should just hit it hard and take what he can get. These are 3rd and sometimes 4th CB on the opponents roster, or a safety. Nobody is worried about covering him.

In fact I'm more worried that we'll give him the ball on another stupid reverse and that I'll have to watch him dance around until he runs out of bounds.

Agreed. But I still believe he has world class speed in the open field. That's why I've been wanting to see Hester on longer developing routes like drag routes or double moves. Both, unfortunately, require ample amounts of time in the pocket...a luxury Jay Cutler has not had.

Agreed. But I still believe he has world class speed in the open field. That's why I've been wanting to see Hester on longer developing routes like drag routes or double moves. Both, unfortunately, require ample amounts of time in the pocket...a luxury Jay Cutler has not had.

He still has good speed but he is not elite anymore. I agree on the routes you describe for him but then again a lot of players can be successful on those routes if there is plenty of time in the pocket.

He'd also have to reliably catch the ball if it hits his hands.

• 1 month later...
scs787 Do you remember posting this? Now you don't want him?What is different now?

It was before doing any research on him....I just saw he was a pro bowler and salivated a lil bit....then the more I research I did the more I saw he deserved the pro bowl nod as much as Derek Jeter deserves a gold glove every year.

It was before doing any research on him....I just saw he was a pro bowler and salivated a lil bit....then the more I research I did the more I saw he deserved the pro bowl nod as much as Derek Jeter deserves a gold glove every year.

Or was it because your hard-on for Webb grew? Be honest man, tell the board how you know Webb. Is he a neighbor? Family friend? Did he donate time to a function you enjoy? There's gotta be a reason for you to so vehemently defend the dude while actively trying to downplay any possible replacement.