Bears top 10 options at 20

Ed Hochuli 3:16

The Bears are just beginning the process for the April 25 to 27 NFL draft with the start of free agency looming and the campus pro day circuit still on tap. However, coming off the scouting combine, here are 10 first round targets who would fit general manager Phil Emery's wish list from my perspective.

D.J. Fluker, RT, Alabama: Another right tackle? Given that the Bears don't know what they have yet in Gabe Carimi (plus the need to upgrade the entire offensive line), Fluker is an option for their pick at No. 20 in the first round.

The tackle has room to develop his footwork in pass protection, but he has the toughness, size (6 feet 5, 339 pounds) and arm length (363/4 inches) that is necessary on the edge.

Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame: Eifert would give the Bears the matchup weapon they desperately need in the middle of the field and in red zone situations.

After running the 40-yard dash in the high 4.6 range and going through positional drills, Eifert is considered the position's top prospect as a complete tight end who can block in the run front and line up removed from the core of the formation as a receiver.

Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina: Cooper's stock is on the rise after an impressive workout in Indianapolis and he would be an immediate upgrade for the interior line.

An athletic prospect with clean footwork who also brings power to the lineup, Cooper is a winner in both the running and passing games.

Lane Johnson, LT, Oklahoma: A day one starter — if he is still on the board. Johnson's technique stood out on the practice fields at the Senior Bowl, he was clearly one of the top athletes at his position during combine workouts and still has room to add around 10 pounds to his lean frame.

A no-brainer for Emery if he's available.

Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama: Physical, strong and nasty, Warmack doesn't have the type of athletic ability that will show up in shorts during a workout. But all you have to do is turn on the tape to see how dominant he can be.

Some see Warmack as one of the top overall players in this draft class. Is he still on the board at No. 20? That could be a stretch.

Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State: The Bears need to add depth and youth at cornerback. Rhodes has the length, size (6-1, 210), speed (4.43) and press-man skills that would fit.

The FSU product needs some work with his off-man technique, but he would have time to develop behind veterans Charles Tillman and Tim Jennings.

Manti Te'o, LB, Notre Dame: The Bears must get younger in the middle of the defense regardless of the upcoming decision on veteran Brian Urlacher. There are multiple questions surrounding Te'o after the fake girlfriend story, a poor showing in the BCS title game and a sub-par 4.82 40-yard dash time.

However, Te'o brings a ton of production from South Bend with the natural instincts and short-area change-of-direction skills needed at middle linebacker.

Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia: He has legit, top end speed (4.34) and explosive playmaking ability inside the numbers. Austin only measures 5-8, but he would give the Bears creative options out of the slot and the deep ball speed to pair with both Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery.

He might be a luxury pick considering the other needs on the roster, but there is no doubt Austin can play.

Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington: The cornerback displayed solid footwork, closing speed and he played with a swagger at the Senior Bowl.

Trufant will need to show more at his pro day, but after running a 4.38 at the combine he could be another option for the Bears to add depth in the secondary.

Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia: Ogletree didn't turn out the workout some expected at the combine and he has had some off-field issues. However, Ogletree still is considered one of the top linebacker prospects because of the resume he put together on tape against SEC competition.

He's a linebacker who will make impact plays.

Tribune

I read that, it would be interesting if we took a DB with our first pick. I would think a player in a more pressing need would be available

I tend to agree once again(something is wrong, we have never agrees this much). Im thinking our pick will be between fluker, cooper and johnson with eifert on the outside

As of right now, I think they're going with an OL in the first. We sorta knew which position they were going to go with in the 1st round last year, but didn't know the player. A lot of it depends on free agency. We should hear more and more about our intentions as the weeks go by, but right now I'm thinking it'll either be a guard or a tackle.

As of right now, I think they're going with an OL in the first. We sorta knew which position they were going to go with in the 1st round last year, but didn't know the player. A lot of it depends on free agency. We should hear more and more about our intentions as the weeks go by, but right now I'm thinking it'll either be a guard or a tackle.

It's hard to imagine us not drafting an o-lineman in round #1. It's an enormous need and there's going to be a lot of first round talent when we pick at #20. That being said, thought the same thing the year we drafted Chris Williams and the year we drafted Carimi.

To me the most interesting guy on that list is Tavon Austin. Having a deep threat with that speed would be a huge luxury. Although that might be just a luxury. We'd likely cut Hester and use him as a punt returner.

We've said we're not interested in a first round TE but that could be a smokescreen.

To me the most interesting guy on that list is Tavon Austin. Having a deep threat with that speed would be a huge luxury. Although that might be just a luxury. We'd likely cut Hester and use him as a punt returner.

We've said we're not interested in a first round TE but that could be a smokescreen.

Interesting, who said this?? If none of the top talents, Johnson, Warmack, Cooper, or Fluker are there I'd probably go Eifert if I were Phil. Chances are there's gonna be a day 1 OG there in the 2nd to grab so you still get good value at a need. If the offense plays out like I think it will I think you can get more out of Eifert than Austin.

Austin is one my favorite players in this draft. Tyrann Mathieu being another. He needs to get bigger though. At 175 pounds, that's awfully small for a player who's going to be taking a lot of hits at the next level. It's hard to believe Darren Sproles is 190 at 5'6, just to put his size in perspective. Other than that though, the kid is dynamite as a skill player. So much versatility that he would bring to an offense just dying for productivity and excitement.

Interesting, who said this?? If none of the top talents, Johnson, Warmack, Cooper, or Fluker are there I'd probably go Eifert if I were Phil. Chances are there's gonna be a day 1 OG there in the 2nd to grab so you still get good value at a need. If the offense plays out like I think it will I think you can get more out of Eifert than Austin.

I think you are right, Eifert would pose more problems for a defense than Austin. Keep in mind this is coming from the point of view of what we currently have on our roster. More bang for the buck replacing Davis with Eifert than replacing Bennet with Austin. Austin is intriguing now that I've seen him workout but inside the red zone I think the Eifert pick would have a bigger payoff. We'd have three over the top threats for fade routes in the endzone between Marshall, Jeffrey, and Eifert.

I think you are right, Eifert would pose more problems for a defense than Austin. Keep in mind this is coming from the point of view of what we currently have on our roster. More bang for the buck replacing Davis with Eifert than replacing Bennet with Austin. Austin is intriguing now that I've seen him workout but inside the red zone I think the Eifert pick would have a bigger payoff. We'd have three over the top threats for fade routes in the endzone between Marshall, Jeffrey, and Eifert.

Austin has a bigger ceiling in my opinion, but Eiffert could probably have a bigger impact year 1.

Austin has a bigger ceiling in my opinion, but Eiffert could probably have a bigger impact year 1.

5'8" is really small for a WR, especially taken in the first round. He produced in college, so we will have to see if that translates to success in the NFL. I just can't see the Bears using #20 on him.

In order of first round horribleness (if that's a word):

1) DT - Makes no sense at all now that Melton is tagged. Would get stuck in rotation. A rotational first rounder...how'd that work last year?

2) DB - Makes no sense at all considering the Pro-Bowlers on the roster. Would be a nickel at best. Rotational again.

3) WR - There are three starters on the team already. At best, this first rounder would be supplementary. First rounders are supposed to be impact players, not supplementary.

4) TE - There is a good chance the play-making TE is already on the roster.

5'8" is really small for a WR, especially taken in the first round. He produced in college, so we will have to see if that translates to success in the NFL. I just can't see the Bears using #20 on him.

He is just 5'8" which had me look harder but then saw that he's never missed a game is HS or college

He is just 5'8" which had me look harder but then saw that he's never missed a game is HS or college

Of course nobody could catch him in high school and few could catch him in college. That changes at the NFL level.

Do you think Austin can handle a lot of hits over the middle? There's a reason Desean Jackson won't go over the middle. I don't see that but if he got 7 touches a game he's able to make a couple big plays. I need to watch some highlights of Austin in college to see how he was used.

Of course nobody could catch him in high school and few could catch him in college. That changes at the NFL level.

Do you think Austin can handle a lot of hits over the middle? There's a reason Desean Jackson won't go over the middle. I don't see that but if he got 7 touches a game he's able to make a couple big plays. I need to watch some highlights of Austin in college to see how he was used.

He was used all over. Slot, returner, running back etc.. He'll be a slot receiver at the next level with the potential to carry the ball out of the backfield 2-3 times a game. I think he will be used more on short crossing patterns like a Wes Welker than as a down field threat, though he will at times. He's the most explosive athlete I've seen in a college football player in a long time.

The key to his usage is to get him out in space. If you do that, he will kill you.

He was used all over. Slot, returner, running back etc.. He'll be a slot receiver at the next level with the potential to carry the ball out of the backfield 2-3 times a game. I think he will be used more on short crossing patterns like a Wes Welker than as a down field threat, though he will at times. He's the most explosive athlete I've seen in a college football player in a long time.

The key to his usage is to get him out in space. That was easier to do in college because of the way the game is played, but in the NFL, it can be a bit trickier. Luckily he's not getting double teamed any time soon with Brandon Marshall on the field.

Good insight. I'll add that Brandon Marshall is as good as any across the middle receiver in the league. Alshon Jeffrey is similar in size and Earl Bennett is best across the middle.

Heck, if Marshall or Jeffrey added a few pounds they could play TE. Which begs the question: if your two starting WR's have similar builds as TE's, are very physical, good in traffic . . . how important is it for you to have a good receiving TE?

With Marc Trestman being an offensive guy, I wouldn't be shocked if he went after a weapon who can stretch the field.

Good insight. I'll add that Brandon Marshall is as good as any across the middle receiver in the league. Alshon Jeffrey is similar in size and Earl Bennett is best across the middle.

Heck, if Marshall or Jeffrey added a few pounds they could play TE. Which begs the question: if your two starting WR's have similar builds as TE's, are very physical, good in traffic . . . how important is it for you to have a good receiving TE?

With Marc Trestman being an offensive guy, I wouldn't be shocked if he went after a weapon who can stretch the field.

If you are Mike Martz it's not very important. I think if you are Trestman it's important as I think he understands how to isolate players in better 1on1 situations. Based on the actions we've seen ....Martz was more interested in running "his" offense while Trestman is more interested in running an offense that fits his players and takes advantage of the defense's weakness. How many weeks did Martz spend designing plays to fit his players' strengths? He was more worried about finding players that fit his plays.

Add in that Trestman doesn't seem too concerned about hitting the big play. He seems to understand the need to force a D to defend the entire field but isn't concerned about forcing 20 yard plays. Rather he's content to take whatever the D is giving up and he could dink and dunk on a 20 play drive for a TD.

Very interesting question.

Austin lines up all over the field btw. In games I watched this year, he often took 7 yard slants or crosses to the house. He's shifty and has a bit of waggle. I also read somewhere that 70% of his total yardage this year was YAC.

Yeah...I do believe Austin to be the man- so much the man he may be gone by 20.

However, if he's at 20, which he probably will be- it would be absolutely silly for the Bears to take him with their 1st Round Pick. Whether or not they're able to address one of the T positions in FA- they'd still better look at taking a T or one of the very talented Gs that could potentially fall to 20 or I'll flip.

This front office has to make it no way possible to fail up front this year or heads should roll.

Yeah...I do believe Austin to be the man- so much the man he may be gone by 20.

However, if he's at 20, which he probably will be- it would be absolutely silly for the Bears to take him with their 1st Round Pick. Whether or not they're able to address one of the T positions in FA- they'd still better look at taking a T or one of the very talented Gs that could potentially fall to 20 or I'll flip.

This front office has to make it no way possible to fail up front this year or heads should roll.

Agreed. This draft is absolutely loaded with premiere OL talent. It can't be screwed up this year. Wait too long at your own peril.

Adding a TE, WR, or LB in the first would be a huge mistake when there is a virtual guarantee that either Johnson, Cooper, or Fluker will be available when the Bears select.

Agreed. This draft is absolutely loaded with premiere OL talent. It can't be screwed up this year. Wait too long at your own peril.

Adding a TE, WR, or LB in the first would be a huge mistake when there is a virtual guarantee that either Johnson, Cooper, or Fluker will be available when the Bears select.

I think Austin will be a good player, but one of the OL players will drop probably one of the ones you mentioned and we have to take him. We can no longer wait to improve the line.

I absolutely hope someone takes Austin ahead of us as it makes it more likely one of those falls to us.