Bears working out JaMarcus Russell

scs787

No news until he's actually signed...

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/...go-bears-friday

Jason's sure to love this...I personally don't mind it at all, I believe we could use an upgrade over McCown so it's worth a shot to see if Russell can be that guy.

Article says the workout will be with 3 other QBs....Wonder who they are?

I give Emery credit for looking at all options but I am not optimistic at all about JaMarcus Russell and I wasn't even when he was coming out of college. He never read defenses well in college and was worse at it in the NFL.

I give Emery credit for looking at all options but I am not optimistic at all about JaMarcus Russell and I wasn't even when he was coming out of college. He never read defenses well in college and was worse at it in the NFL.

But.. but... he's working with Marshall Faulk to help him read defenses.

It is worth a shot though...We do have the QB whisperer lol

The man has already proved he's the greatest bust of all time. Now he's going for the greatest comeback bust of all time?

I'm sorry. Lets get the biggest bust because he's lost 50 lbs. Yea, he can also throw the ball thru the uprights while on his knees at the 50 yard line. One of the greatest tests of future hall of fame QB's and a sure lock for starters in the NFL!!

No Fn way please.

Oh, did I forget to say that we are the worst franchise of all time when it comes to the QB position. I know we can list great running backs. At what count would we stop? Maybe six, to a dozen on the outside? Under six when it comes to HOF's Lets go to linebackers. Also under six when it comes to HOF's. A great history for any team in the NFL. Now lets count the QB's. How about since the Cubs have won a series. As in World Series. Can anyone alive remember just one? Sid? Can I get two?? Anyone???

And now we're bringing in J. Russsel? Just for a tryout! Is this some type of disease? "A pathological condition of a part, organ, or system of an organism resulting from various causes." And then causeing death. You have got to be kidding me! As the worst franchise in history at the QB postion we would even think of bringing in the biggest bust of all time makes me sick!!!

Oh, did I forget to say that we are the worst franchise of all time when it comes to the QB position. I know we can list great running backs. At what count would we stop? Maybe six, to a dozen on the outside? Under six when it comes to HOF's Lets go to linebackers. Also under six when it comes to HOF's. A great history for any team in the NFL. Now lets count the QB's. How about since the Cubs have won a series. As in World Series. Can anyone alive remember just one? Sid? Can I get two?? Anyone???

And now we're bringing in J. Russsel? Just for a tryout! Is this some type of disease? "A pathological condition of a part, organ, or system of an organism resulting from various causes." And then causeing death. You have got to be kidding me! As the worst franchise in history at the QB postion we would even think of bringing in the biggest bust of all time makes me sick!!!

So....what are your thoughts on Tim Tebow? :D

Jason's sure to love this...I personally don't mind it at all, I believe we could use an upgrade over McCown so it's worth a shot to see if Russell can be that guy.

Hate to say this but I told you so....that the Bears should give him a try....not that we will sign him but at least give him a try...cant hurt, he know he wont be the starter, but a better option IMHO than the backups we have...cheaper too!

Jason where are you.......HA ha ha he is going to love this.......LOL

You're right. LOVE IT. It shows the Bears are not complacent. It shows they are willing to take a no-risk, high-reward chance on a player in substitute of signing a guy who fits the skill level of a 3rd string scrub, a guy concealed behind glass, break in case of emergency.

I don't believe he will be signed but considering it would be for a league minimum deal and it would be non guaranteed. He's mentioned he just wants the shot at being that back up and best of all no circus. So I would OK with it but honestly if we sign 1 my money would be on Edwards

I love vocal new members.

Regarding your post, maybe it's the fact that this franchise has not taken the right chances that has gotten them in QB trouble over the years? Instead of retread old dudes like Chandler, complete non-QBs like Kordell Stewart (who never got dumped on like Tim Tebow is getting dumped on, despite being a worse throwing QB), or 7th round piles of garbage like Moses Moreno, they are actually trying to get a player with potential upside. Since Jim Harbaugh left this is what the Bears have seen:

1994 - Steve Walsh (11) / Erik Kramer (5) - Both journeymen with average skills and nearly no upside

1995 - Erik Kramer - Fluke year, still no potential

1996 - Dave Krieg (12) / Erik Kramer (4) - Yeah, adding old ass Dave Krieg to the mix was a look towards the future :rolleyes:

1997 - Erik Kramer (13) / Rick Mirer (3) - The Rick Mirer traded was horrible when it happened, and it is still horrible.

1998 - Erik Kramer (8) / Steve Stenstrom (7) / Moses Moreno (1) - At this point keeping Kramer was like holding on to 8-track tape players, Stenstrom and Moreno were horrible (I guess Stenstrom at this point had potential

1999 - Shane Matthews (7) / Cade McNown (6) / Jim Miller (3) - Matthews had the weakest arm in NFL history and had no potential. Cade was our rookie pick that didn't work out, but at least it's an effort. Jim Miller was a journeyman, stop-gap, essentially the replacement for Erik Kramer.

2000 - Cade McNown (9) / Shane Matthews (5) / Jim Miller (2) - The Bears begin to give McNown the steering wheel. It doesn't work out. At least they tried.

2001 - Jim Miller (13) / Shane Matthews (3) - Treading water. Nothing more, nothing less.

2002 - Jim Miller (8) / Chris Chandler (7) / Henry Burris (1) - Bandaid, bandaid that lets blood ooze, bandaid that doesn't even stick to the skin. Horrible.

2003 - Kordell Stewart (7) / Chris Chandler (6)/ Rex Grossman (3) - Kordell was an average QB at best, and this was obviously not a move for the future. Chandler was collecting social security. Rex was the Bears attempt to groom someone for the position...which is why we all loved him at first.

2004 - Craig Krenzel (5) / Chad Hutchinson (5)/ Jonathan Quinn (3) / Rex Grossman (3) - Krenzel was never going to succeed in the NFL, but it was a somewhat smart move to continue drafting QBs with the hope of finding the next great one. Hutchinson was also a decent gamble. At the time he had all sorts of buzz, and this was thought of as a high-reward, low-risk move. Medicine Woman was just an atrocious move, period. All in all, this was a good attempt to fill the position with some potential upside.

2005 - Kyle Orton (15) / Rex Grossman (1) - Orton was essentially the organization taking a mulligan on Krenzel, because they realized he was terrible. At this point the Bears had two young, promising QBs, and the battle between Sexy Rexy and Neckbeard began.

2006 - Rex Grossman (16) - Sexy Rexy wins, but the QB position looks fairly stable, until Lovie dicked around with his playing time at the end of the year and created a controversy, perhaps forever tarnishing Grossman's confidence.

2007 - Rex Grossman (7) / Brian Griese (6) / Kyle Orton (3) - I didn't like the Greasy move at the time, because it essentially said, "Hey you two young QBs, one of you will be third string." This started the next downfall, and caused many arguments on this board.

2008 - Kyle Orton (15) / Rex Grossman (1) - Neckbeard wins over Sexy Rexy, and looks decent in his first chance to be a starter.

2009 - Jay Cutler (16) - The move had to be made. Rex was a shell and Orton was gone.

2010 - Jay Cutler (15) / Todd Collins (1) - Jay still the foundation, Todd Collins was a pointless journeyman with no hope of success. Many here complained loudly about the need for a backup.

2011 - Jay Cutler (10) / Caleb Hanie (4) / Josh McCown (2) - 2010, ditto.

2012 - Jay Cutler (15) / Jason Campbell (1) - The Bears, always seemingly two years late, do what the fans have been calling for: securing a solid backup QB. Sure, he ended up being forgettable, but it was a shot at a player who looked to have upside in Washington, but fell into the black-hole at Oakland. It was a good move, just didn't work out.

To summarize -

Draft picks with potential (McNown, Grossman, Orton)

Draft picks as filler (Krenzel)

Gambles (Hutchinson)

Great moves (Cutler)

Moves for journeymen, bad player, or both (Walsh, Kramer, Krieg, Miller, Chandler, Griese, Campbell, Mirer, Stenstrom, Matthews, Kordell, Quinn, Collins, Hanie)

Seems pretty obvious to me what the problem has been.

I love vocal new members.

Regarding your post, maybe it's the fact that this franchise has not taken the right chances that has gotten them in QB trouble over the years? Instead of retread old dudes like Chandler, complete non-QBs like Kordell Stewart (who never got dumped on like Tim Tebow is getting dumped on, despite being a worse throwing QB), or 7th round piles of garbage like Moses Moreno, they are actually trying to get a player with potential upside. Since Jim Harbaugh left this is what the Bears have seen:

1994 - Steve Walsh (11) / Erik Kramer (5) - Both journeymen with average skills and nearly no upside

1995 - Erik Kramer - Fluke year, still no potential

1996 - Dave Krieg (12) / Erik Kramer (4) - Yeah, adding old ass Dave Krieg to the mix was a look towards the future :rolleyes:

1997 - Erik Kramer (13) / Rick Mirer (3) - The Rick Mirer traded was horrible when it happened, and it is still horrible.

1998 - Erik Kramer (8) / Steve Stenstrom (7) / Moses Moreno (1) - At this point keeping Kramer was like holding on to 8-track tape players, Stenstrom and Moreno were horrible (I guess Stenstrom at this point had potential

1999 - Shane Matthews (7) / Cade McNown (6) / Jim Miller (3) - Matthews had the weakest arm in NFL history and had no potential. Cade was our rookie pick that didn't work out, but at least it's an effort. Jim Miller was a journeyman, stop-gap, essentially the replacement for Erik Kramer.

2000 - Cade McNown (9) / Shane Matthews (5) / Jim Miller (2) - The Bears begin to give McNown the steering wheel. It doesn't work out. At least they tried.

2001 - Jim Miller (13) / Shane Matthews (3) - Treading water. Nothing more, nothing less.

2002 - Jim Miller (8) / Chris Chandler (7) / Henry Burris (1) - Bandaid, bandaid that lets blood ooze, bandaid that doesn't even stick to the skin. Horrible.

2003 - Kordell Stewart (7) / Chris Chandler (6)/ Rex Grossman (3) - Kordell was an average QB at best, and this was obviously not a move for the future. Chandler was collecting social security. Rex was the Bears attempt to groom someone for the position...which is why we all loved him at first.

2004 - Craig Krenzel (5) / Chad Hutchinson (5)/ Jonathan Quinn (3) / Rex Grossman (3) - Krenzel was never going to succeed in the NFL, but it was a somewhat smart move to continue drafting QBs with the hope of finding the next great one. Hutchinson was also a decent gamble. At the time he had all sorts of buzz, and this was thought of as a high-reward, low-risk move. Medicine Woman was just an atrocious move, period. All in all, this was a good attempt to fill the position with some potential upside.

2005 - Kyle Orton (15) / Rex Grossman (1) - Orton was essentially the organization taking a mulligan on Krenzel, because they realized he was terrible. At this point the Bears had two young, promising QBs, and the battle between Sexy Rexy and Neckbeard began.

2006 - Rex Grossman (16) - Sexy Rexy wins, but the QB position looks fairly stable, until Lovie dicked around with his playing time at the end of the year and created a controversy, perhaps forever tarnishing Grossman's confidence.

2007 - Rex Grossman (7) / Brian Griese (6) / Kyle Orton (3) - I didn't like the Greasy move at the time, because it essentially said, "Hey you two young QBs, one of you will be third string." This started the next downfall, and caused many arguments on this board.

2008 - Kyle Orton (15) / Rex Grossman (1) - Neckbeard wins over Sexy Rexy, and looks decent in his first chance to be a starter.

2009 - Jay Cutler (16) - The move had to be made. Rex was a shell and Orton was gone.

2010 - Jay Cutler (15) / Todd Collins (1) - Jay still the foundation, Todd Collins was a pointless journeyman with no hope of success. Many here complained loudly about the need for a backup.

2011 - Jay Cutler (10) / Caleb Hanie (4) / Josh McCown (2) - 2010, ditto.

2012 - Jay Cutler (15) / Jason Campbell (1) - The Bears, always seemingly two years late, do what the fans have been calling for: securing a solid backup QB. Sure, he ended up being forgettable, but it was a shot at a player who looked to have upside in Washington, but fell into the black-hole at Oakland. It was a good move, just didn't work out.

To summarize -

Draft picks with potential (McNown, Grossman, Orton)

Draft picks as filler (Krenzel)

Gambles (Hutchinson)

Great moves (Cutler)

Moves for journeymen, bad player, or both (Walsh, Kramer, Krieg, Miller, Chandler, Griese, Campbell, Mirer, Stenstrom, Matthews, Kordell, Quinn, Collins, Hanie)

Seems pretty obvious to me what the problem has been.

At last we agree on something........LOL

Hate it. The backup QB'S need to be ready at a moments notice. Which means paying attention in practice and meetings, as you are not getting reps. I don't think he will ever get it.

Trent Edwards could be a good guy to bring in if they're not happy with McCown. We have a guy who is supposed to be one of the best at teaching QBs and if you pair him with supposedly the most intelligent QBs in the league and I think that good be a good matching. Paying attention shouldn't be a problem with this guy.

He's kinda be plagued by injuries his whole career and stuck behind Mike Vick last year.

He went 54-80 for 489 yards with 4 TDs and no picks last year in preseason.

Not really new Jason, just a stalker for the last 5 years more than anything. Just a fan for way to long and hope to see a SB win before I die or get anymore senile.

So yea, lets get Russell and Tebow. sign them for the min. put then in the back field with Forte in a wishbone. Tebow on the left, Russell on the right with Forte in the middle right behind Jay. Two wideouts and five down off. linemen. Widecat hell, lets run a crazy cat. Shotgun, pistol. How but the gatling gun off. Hell this is suppose to be the age of an off. rebirth, not only the Bears but the NFL. Lets put some of this new off. genius we have and think out of the box or maybe even think inside a circle.