How far has J'Webb fallen?

AZ54

At this point we've lost our starting LT and replaced him with Jonathan Scott. Fair enough we keep Webb on the right side where we want him to play this season. Then we lose Jonathan Scott and we replace him with...Eben Britton at LT? At this point I see that Webb is fading from our top 3 OTs.

Not saying he's lost his job yet but if versatility is what Kromer wants among his top 7 Olinemen (he said so yesterday) then at some point among these injuries if Webb was one of our top 3 OTs he'd have been slid over to LT for a day or two while Britton, or Scott, took snaps at RT. That didn't happen and Kromer and Co. decided they preferred to see what Britton could do against Peppers.

I'm not assigning roster spots to either Scott, Britton, or Webb at this point but the competition is starting to open up IMO. I look forward to more clues as the next week unfolds.

Not saying he's lost his job yet but if versatility is what Kromer wants among his top 7 Olinemen (he said so yesterday) then at some point among these injuries if Webb was one of our top 3 OTs he'd have been slid over to LT for a day or two while Britton, or Scott, took snaps at RT.

The more likely case, IMO, is they realize Webb sucks and he needs as much time as possible at ONE spot. They don't want to confuse the poor dumb bastard.

Not sure I'd read too much into that.

Bushrod should only be out for a bit. So the other guys replacing him are probably just placeholders at the moment.

At this point we've lost our starting LT and replaced him with Jonathan Scott. Fair enough we keep Webb on the right side where we want him to play this season. Then we lose Jonathan Scott and we replace him with...Eben Britton at LT? At this point I see that Webb is fading from our top 3 OTs.

Not saying he's lost his job yet but if versatility is what Kromer wants among his top 7 Olinemen (he said so yesterday) then at some point among these injuries if Webb was one of our top 3 OTs he'd have been slid over to LT for a day or two while Britton, or Scott, took snaps at RT. That didn't happen and Kromer and Co. decided they preferred to see what Britton could do against Peppers.

I'm not assigning roster spots to either Scott, Britton, or Webb at this point but the competition is starting to open up IMO. I look forward to more clues as the next week unfolds.

I think this just shows how little we all know what's actually going on from the scraps of information that leak about camp.

I think we gotta just trust the new staff, and wait to see some product on the field to really have any sort of opinion. It's fun to play armchair Sherlock Holmes and draw conclusions from bits of info, but then you see that even the bit of info was wrong, or out of context, and it makes it hard for any of us, no matter how smart, to draw any real conclusions.

I'm excited about this team, and I trust the staff at this point to make the right decisions on players, especially since we can't even see what the players are really looking like.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1...a4-589218ef8b10

No need to take my word for it, coach says Webb is struggling at times (albeit in a very polite way):

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...e-to-right.html

Yeah, I'm not for or against Webb. I've seen him be awful, but I'm not sure if he got proper coaching or help or whatever. If in a few weeks this staff thinks he's ready, then that's good enough for me until I see it on the field. If they demote him, I'll go along with that too. He's obviously an enigma with all the tools but the light hasn't come on for him.

https://twitter.com/jmarcuswebb?original_re...906229414600705

J'Marcus Webb @jmarcuswebb

I'm going dark. I won't be on for awhile. I need to prioritize, change up some things and make better choices. Peace.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems like the same thing he said at the beginning of his recovery summer. It's not what we want to hear from any player in the middle of training camp when he came in knowing he was fighting for a job. I realize I have no idea of the context for this but nonetheless it's his statement that he has been making bad choices.

For the record (again) I want Webb and every player in our training camp to do well.

https://twitter.com/jmarcuswebb?original_re...906229414600705

J'Marcus Webb @jmarcuswebb

I'm going dark. I won't be on for awhile. I need to prioritize, change up some things and make better choices. Peace.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems like the same thing he said at the beginning of his recovery summer. It's not what we want to hear from any player in the middle of training camp when he came in knowing he was fighting for a job. I realize I have no idea of the context for this but nonetheless it's his statement that he has been making bad choices.

For the record (again) I want Webb and every player in our training camp to do well.

Yeah, it's a weird thing to say. The coaches are absolutely doing their due diligence on him, but that doesn't mean they're liking what they see. i wonder how long Webb will stick around.

It is not finalized but one piece of the puzzle seems to be finding a place on the final roster.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post...aps-vs-carolina

Don't rule out the possibility of the former Jacksonville Jaguars second-round draft choice Eben Britton eventually unseating J'Marcus Webb for the starting right tackle job. Britton, who started 30 games (23 at right tackle, seven at left guard) for the Jaguars from 2009-12, has come on strong after signing a one-year deal with the Bears on April 16.

While everything in the NFL is subject to change, Trestman said he envisions Britton as one of the active offensive linemen on game days in the regular season.

"I think Eben is in the mix of finding where our offensive line will be," Trestman said. "He's in the mix. He's had a very productive camp. He's versatile; he can play just about anywhere we put him, both on the left and right side. And at this point I can say he's definitely involved in being part of this roster -- on a week-to-week basis. The 46-(man active game day roster)."

It is not finalized but one piece of the puzzle seems to be finding a place on the final roster.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post...aps-vs-carolina

Don't rule out the possibility of the former Jacksonville Jaguars second-round draft choice Eben Britton eventually unseating J'Marcus Webb for the starting right tackle job. Britton, who started 30 games (23 at right tackle, seven at left guard) for the Jaguars from 2009-12, has come on strong after signing a one-year deal with the Bears on April 16.

While everything in the NFL is subject to change, Trestman said he envisions Britton as one of the active offensive linemen on game days in the regular season.

"I think Eben is in the mix of finding where our offensive line will be," Trestman said. "He's in the mix. He's had a very productive camp. He's versatile; he can play just about anywhere we put him, both on the left and right side. And at this point I can say he's definitely involved in being part of this roster -- on a week-to-week basis. The 46-(man active game day roster)."

Excellent news! Knowing we had mediocrity with Webb and Britton comes in and shines adds pleasant depth.

Hopefully this puts to rest any "Webb was just handed the job" conversations.

Way back in minicamp time Kromer said (paraphrasing) he didn't care who the players were, how much money they made, or where they came from the best 5 would be starting. It was a reporter who said there was nobody on the roster that would challenge Webb for the starting role. Maybe there were no obvious candidates but that didnt' mean Kromer wasn't working on developing one (or two).

Regarding Oline we have much to look for in tonight's game: I haven't heard anything from or about Mills all camp. He was all cocky after the draft but at the time I felt he wasn't ready for the NFL given 90% of his plays had him in pass protection during his entire college career. Aside from run blocking issues, he probably needs to hit the weight room for a year. Anyway, I'm curious to see how he performs and at what position he lines up (OG or OT).

Ha. There'll be no acknowledgment of this by either of the two girls who had that hissy fit.

PS. Has anyone heard from Jason since?

No sign of Jason and if anyone was to comment about Webb being the same old Webb he'd have been first in line. He needs to get back here for the post game commentary.

They should just move Long to RT and let him develop next to James Brown, who by all accounts, has been a beast this offseason.

The Bears might have plans to move Long to LT in a couple years when Bushrod goes bad. I actually think it could be a lot sooner than that, because I have little to no faith in Bushrod to hold the fort down.

I do wonder if Webb will be dressing by the end of the year. Trestman, when commenting on Britton, said that he sees Britton being part of the 7 linemen of the 46 players that dress every week.

At guard/C, I would guess there would be Garza, Long, Slausson, and Brown taking up those 4 spots. According to Trestman, Britton is a lock at this point and then there is Bushrod. That leaves a spot for Webb, Scott, or whoever to dress each week that can back up tackle.

I haven't seen the game yet but reports about Webb's performance aren't encouraging. Neither is the report on Britton. As someone said, maybe we don't have a good option. I imagine the competition for the starting role will heat up over the next two games. We'll see what the coaches do at the next practice.

I haven't seen the game yet but reports about Webb's performance aren't encouraging. Neither is the report on Britton. As someone said, maybe we don't have a good option. I imagine the competition for the starting role will heat up over the next two games. We'll see what the coaches do at the next practice.

I think it is a work in progress,but dont think Webb will end up being the starter. Probably if you break the Oline down, nobody you can rave about, but we know how good or I should say how bad Webb is and would rather get a new guy in there that we can see improve instead of the same old, same old. I just think he might have the body of a starting NFL tackle but doesnt have the mental part of the game to go with it.

We'll see Carimi kick butt at RT somewhere else, LOL.